Are There Any Experienced Gym Goers Out There?

phuturatica

I'm sure this forum must have some gym buffs on the board but basically I need a little advice...

What should my plan be when I go to the gym? I obviously start off with stretching my muscles out but then do I go straight into cardio or toning? Also can anyone give me any advice on getting rid of bingo wings, muffin tops and big calves? What exercises should I do? Does anyone have a good plan set out? I mainly want to lose weight, tone up and look slender. I'm not planning on becoming a muscular beefcake.

I know some of you will say "get a personal trainer" - however I just want to know other people's opinions. Also I'm actually self conscious about trainers as I always have this feeling that they'll be watching me like I'm some fatty getting exhausted after only a few reps. :(

P.S. Mods - I wasn't sure if this should be in the I'm Too Fat section of the forum so I just put it here instead. Feel free to move though

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First and foremost, you will need to get your food intake, or diet or whatever you want to call it, in order, or you may get a bit disillusioned a little further down the road.

That said, there are a myriad of workout programs online that you could follow, or use as a reference (try bodybuilding.com for one).

I've only seen personal trainers at Fitness First, but from the sidelines, they seem to do a pretty good job. Don't be so self-conscious, at least you're trying to do something to improve yourself.

I agree with Kalbo, first get your food intake in check. Training is good for getting in shape but diet will help you loose the fat. Its much easier to eat a bit less then to burn it. There are exceptions to this rule like Tropo who really burns a lot.

I burn ok but no where near his amounts. I burn around 500cals in 45 minutes on a rowing machine. But for a female it would be much harder to get those numbers.. let alone numbers that Tropo burns.

I would say get some lessons in free weights.. use them and do cardio.. but formost check your diet. So scratch out sugar drinks and so on. There is a lot of information on healthy food.

Dont worry you will not be a beefcake overnight. If it was that easy everyone would look super good.

nonsense, just train, don't beleive the all its all in the food crap, wither train or don't train. Diet ..... well there is a mass balance but, train

I beg to differ, in the end you dont burn much by lifting weights. Believe me i know. Also if you start eating more to compensate for what you burn you still dont get rid of the fat.

• Like 1

Yeah, diet is a much bigger factor than most people seem to realize. I hate it when people justify a big meal after a workout. Yes, you are entitled to an extra buttload of caloric intake but that doesn't mean gulfing down loads of fried chicken. But yeah, cardio is your key to burning calories. And with diet, as long as you understand the macro requirements, for just weight loss and toning that'll be enough.

If you really want to get into the details, you could go get a physical, and in Bangkok (right?) I assume it'd be pretty cheap at Bumrungrad/BNH/your-international-hospital-of-choice. They'll tell you what exactly is going on with your body and specifically what needs to be done about problem areas (okay, not *problem* areas, but areas that you might be concerned with). A dietitian can also help you build a meal plan, and will be more aware of Thai food options than your friends on bodybuilding.com.

• Like 1

As some posters have noted above, exercise isn't very helpful towards losing weight, though it's great in other ways. On cardio, I suggest reading

The Case Against Cardio

As for diet, you'll find most members here are stuck in an outdated, simplistic, mostly unworkable "calories in-calories out" model.

These vids will explain the problem and give you proper direction based on later research:

On sugar specifically:

http://www.nytimes.c...&pagewanted=all

Edited by JSixpack

I always seem to harp on about it but diet is number one.

I know and have known lots of athletes and many of them had all sorts of medical conditions including athritis, heart disease , leukemia, diabetes etc. These are people who were very fit and trained regularly.

If you dont put the right stuff in your body then all the exercise in the world will not help you.

Fit people may take longer to get sick or may handle their condition better but it is what you put in your mouth that is the most important thing.

The only real diet that i have seen that i thought was any good was the blood type diet. This is based on some pretty good research and when I stacked it against what my naturopath recommended for me it was pretty close.

Yeah, diet is a much bigger factor than most people seem to realize. I hate it when people justify a big meal after a workout. Yes, you are entitled to an extra buttload of caloric intake but that doesn't mean gulfing down loads of fried chicken. But yeah, cardio is your key to burning calories. And with diet, as long as you understand the macro requirements, for just weight loss and toning that'll be enough.

If you really want to get into the details, you could go get a physical, and in Bangkok (right?) I assume it'd be pretty cheap at Bumrungrad/BNH/your-international-hospital-of-choice. They'll tell you what exactly is going on with your body and specifically what needs to be done about problem areas (okay, not *problem* areas, but areas that you might be concerned with). A dietitian can also help you build a meal plan, and will be more aware of Thai food options than your friends on bodybuilding.com.

Good points.

Firstly, don't worry about becoming a beefcake. The body HATES adding muscle so its very hard to do and there is no danger at all that you will accidentally swell up. I'll repeat that, absolutely no danger whatsoever your muscles will become bigger than you want them to be.

Secondly, there is no such thing as a "toned" muscle. Resting muscle tone is identical whether a muscle has been trained or is untrained. What makes muscles look "toned" is a reduction in covering fat and any increase in muscle size.

I'll agree with other posters that weight loss is primarily a function of diet. Calories expended through exercise are very minor compared to what's available in food. The documentary I link to below has a scene where the interviewer is talking to a scientist and realises that the coffee he's been drinking while talking to him over a few minutes contained as many calories as would be burned by a 40 minute run and that's even before he took a bite of the muffin!

For cardiovascular fitness this documentary shows the very interesting work going on at the moment that shows that the majority of the benefits of cardiovascular exercise such as how the body manages blood sugar, your ability to use oxygen etc. can be achieved with 12 minutes a MONTH of exercise. Obviously this means that any calorie burn is lower than hours on a treadmill would achieve, but its also means it only takes 12 minutes a month rather than 12 hours and with the resulting reduction in wear and tear on the body.

My experience watching personal trainers here and elsewhere is that they are fine for helping you design a program, but they tend to err on the side of keeping the amount of exercise and the weights too low. The reason for this is obvious, if a customer gets demotivated because they think its hard, or they get injured, they don't come back and the trainer doesn't get paid.

I would suggest that you use a trainer at the beginning to set up a program for you and show you how to use the equipment and after that you can save your money.

And don't worry about feeling self-conscious. Every single person in the gym was a first timer at one point. That feeling will be gone after just a few sessions. Whereas feeling self-conscious about your appearance will last a lifetime!

One final point, on stretching. Do not do what is called static stretching before exercising. Static stretching is where you stretch a limb out to the maximum of its range of motion and hold it for several seconds. While static stretching does increase range of motion it also triggers an inhibitory response that reduces the ability of the muscles being stretched to exert force. This effects lasts 2-3 hours.

So any stretching you do before a session should be dynamic stretching where you swing the limbs around. This increases blood flow and warms up muscles.

Although the truth is that neither form of stretching shows any actual effect on injury rates anyway!

Personal trainers can be helpful for starting out. Get one for a week or two. Or:

• Find some kick boxing routines on youtube. Work on increasing the intensity. Many of these routines will combine cardio as well as resistance training. Intensity lowers cortisol and helps you relax which promotes fat loss. I do a 35-40 minute work out 3 times a week.

• Weight training: Find a program on mens health or women's health dot com. Building muscle will help your body burn more calories when you are NOT working out. Burning up to 48 hours after a weight training or resistance training (push ups and sit up ect.)

• Diet is 80% of your fat loss battle. In other words if you workout everyday for 1 hour and consume 4500 calories a day you might as well forget losing fat. Google "What should my caloric intake be?" or "caloric needs". You'll find a place to put in your age and height. So if your body needs 2300 calories a day to stay at a certain weight you'll need to decease that a bit to lose.

• or you can buy the "Abs Diet" book. Which is the basic program I follow. It's a great book and I've read so much on fat loss.

• Don't work out play out. We all loved doing something outside like riding a bike. Have fun. If you hate lifting weights don't do it. There are tons of ways to get you exercise on.

I work out 4-5 times a week for 45 mins each. I do supersets from one exercise to another to get be breathing and due to time issues. back chest shoulders one day, arms legs abs another day. Followed quickly by a protein shake which i also take in the evening.

I cut out 90% of the sugar from my diet a year back. Body weight is still around the same but obviously body shape has changed.

I workout at 6am in the morning (not the best time even though I eat breakfast an hour before). Would prefer to work out in the evening after dinner but family / work doesnt make it practical.

Never needed a PT to get me going, i am an early riser (getting old ;) and it helps me to destress about thinking about what i need to get done at work.

• Like 1

I started swimming a couple of months ago....usually 2km a day....I haven't changed any other aspect of lifestyle...beer or food.

My weight is down to 13st from 14 and a half....I look far better and feel better every day...however....if I wanted to lose more weight I would have to look at diet for sure.

I'm happy enough for now though!

I started swimming a couple of months ago....usually 2km a day....I haven't changed any other aspect of lifestyle...beer or food.

My weight is down to 13st from 14 and a half....I look far better and feel better every day...however....if I wanted to lose more weight I would have to look at diet for sure.

smokes, when i looked at how much beer i used to consume 1 can after work each day at home X 5 plus 10-15 every friday night out it didnt take long to figure out i was drinking 80-100 beer a month x 10 years here = almost 10,000 bottles / can of beer. and those are the ones i remember. I still have the odd black soda one every couple of months or glass of wine and still like chocolate.

the sugar and cutting out the beer made a huge difference to my health / weight.- along with working out.

• Like 1

smokes, when i looked at how much beer i used to consume 1 can after work each day at home X 5 plus 10-15 every friday night out it didnt take long to figure out i was drinking 80-100 beer a month x 10 years here = almost 10,000 bottles / can of beer. and those are the ones i remember. I still have the odd black soda one every couple of months or glass of wine and still like chocolate.

the sugar and cutting out the beer made a huge difference to my health / weight.- along with working out.

You're quite right James....but as you know...I love my beer. The time is coming when I will have to cut it out though....I can see that....40 at Xmas! Bloody 'ell...!

NOTE guys, Phuturatica is female, so should be either generic or female specific exercise recomendations.

Hey Phuturatica, good on you!

Im a BIG workout fan, but i aim for definition not to be thin.

I dont calorie count, but i eat healthily.

For me my issue is lower body, so i do sprint running and leg work/squats etc.

For calorie burning i recommend distance running on the treatmill. I persnally never stretch before warming up. I always make sure my muscles are warmed up before hand.

For bat-wings go for these for starters:

I want to be careful what i advice you on, because personally i do like muscle definition.

Im trying to get back into shape after my accident..this was how my arms looked before my accident (which only show like this when im really pushing to show them..otherwise looks pretty normal but toned when my arms are relaxed).

zmuf.jpg

You might be suprised how musclemass is actually a good thing for our bodies, but respect if you want to keep it more about general toning.

If i can help, although im no expert, welcome to ask here or pm. Wish you the best in your fitness!

Edit: when i get a bit more time, will see if i can devise you something simple and easy to follow for you. Then the guys here can add or take from it. Probably some time this evening. So will post again a bit later. smile.png

Edit2: and dont be embarressed about trainers or anything else. Everyone has to start somewhere. Trainers can help a lot especially for correct posture when lifting weights etc. Understand if you choose to do this on your own, but maybe after you feel a bit more confident after a simple workout regime, consider a trainer for a short period. You could lift weights incorrectly, which could result in injury and little real results.

Edited by eek
  • Like 1

As some posters have noted above, exercise isn't very helpful towards losing weight, though it's great in other ways. On cardio, I suggest reading

The Case Against Cardio

Have you read this article you linked? It's written by a person who believed in an extreme amount of high intensity training, always keeping his heart rate in the upper extremes.

This is an extreme example of overtraining and would obviously be very unhealthy. He's also a runner. Running places a lot of destructive forces on the joints with little benefit for developing muscle strength.

Now it is time for you to do some reading. Read up about MAF. This is moderate to low intensity cardio training and whole different ball game.

"Cardio training" doesn't mean much unless you qualify the exact type of training.

It's just another Paleo-diet-activity theory which has been done to death and requires that you believe we evolved from cave dwellers in this theoretical Paleolithic era of evolution.

I'm not interested in theories based on theories. How can you prove one idea which is based on another unproven idea?

The best way to train is to combine MAF style cardio training with weight training. That covers low, medium and high heart rate activity. Always be aware of signs of overtraining and don't overextend your body.

If you think HIIT is the best way to train, then you've never tried genuine HIIT - it's brutal and I wouldn't recommend it for any out of shape expat. I can handle it fine, but it's no fun at all and very people would continue with it. MAF on the other hand is gentle, comfortable and sustainable for a lifetime.

Edited by tropo

NOTE guys, Phuturatica is female, so should be either generic or female specific exercise recomendations.

Hey Phuturatica, good on you!

Im a BIG workout fan, but i aim for definition not to be thin.

I dont calorie count, but i eat healthily.

For me my issue is lower body, so i do sprint running and leg work/squats etc.

For calorie burning i recommend distance running on the treatmill. I persnally never stretch before warming up. I always make sure my muscles are warmed up before hand.

For bat-wings go for these for starters:

I want to be careful what i advice you on, because personally i do like muscle definition.

Im trying to get back into shape after my accident..this was how my arms looked before my accident (which only show like this when im really pushing to show them..otherwise looks pretty normal but toned when my arms are relaxed).

zmuf.jpg

You might be suprised how musclemass is actually a good thing for our bodies, but respect if you want to keep it more about general toning.

If i can help, although im no expert, welcome to ask here or pm. Wish you the best in your fitness!

Edit: when i get a bit more time, will see if i can devise you something simple and easy to follow for you. Then the guys here can add or take from it. Probably some time this evening. So will post again a bit later. smile.png

Edit2: and dont be embarressed about trainers or anything else. Everyone has to start somewhere. Trainers can help a lot especially for correct posture when lifting weights etc. Understand if you choose to do this on your own, but maybe after you feel a bit more confident after a simple workout regime, consider a trainer for a short period. You could lift weights incorrectly, which could result in injury and little real results.

Ah! I was hoping I would get a response from a woman! If you could help me devise a plan that would be awesome thank you very much. So far, this is what I have been doing:

• Start off by stretching and warming the muscles up. I don't do static stretching. I know this already after doing 17 years of ballet.
  • Brisk walking on the treadmill for about 2 minutes and build up speed over the course.
  • Full on run for about 20 minutes.
  • Some static stretching on the legs.
  • 10 minutes on the bike on the 'fat burn' program so the weight increases and decreases in a pattern.
  • Some static stretching again.
  • 100 reps on the rowing machine.
  • Lift 5KG weights on each arm. Do bicep curls and then behind my neck lifting (not sure of the name)
  • More stretching.
  • Put legs on exercise ball and do 50 sit ups
  • Final stretching.

This is my plan so far and it kills me every time but I feel better for doing it. My diet is slowly but surely getting better but the hardest thing is knowing what is healthy and what isn't. It would be nice to see someone's diet plan on a daily basis in Thailand. I don't have a kitchen though at the moment. That's my main problem. Also 7Eleven is killing me. :(

@phuturatica....the reason I mentioned swimming was it tones up arms and legs very well. Breast stroke is particularly good for firming up the tricep muscles...give it a try!

Edit: With regards to food I would suggest keeping rice and noodles to a minimum and eating spicy salads instead....but an expert will no doubt be along shortly...

Edited by smokie36

I used to own /operate a gym for over 7 years,the first thing i used to tell people who wanted to start training is to find somebody to train with.A good friend to join you and it is a lot easier to walk into the door and get started.

Secondly do not plan to go training when you have some time of but make it part of your agenda."sorry i can not go see a show tonight i want to go to the gym"Again a lot easier when you have a friend joining you.

Our gym was in a small town and the youngest member was about eleven and the oldest 76 years old.

I used to run a lot and i would say"the hardest thing about running is putting your shoes on"Once you got your shoes laced up your committed.

You already have started with a routine and i would say just go for it and see where it takes you.All the training programs in the world are not going to help you if you do not enjoy the excercise.

Fitness is not about how you look but how you feel.

I agree with Kalbo, first get your food intake in check. Training is good for getting in shape but diet will help you loose the fat. Its much easier to eat a bit less then to burn it. There are exceptions to this rule like Tropo who really burns a lot.

I burn ok but no where near his amounts. I burn around 500cals in 45 minutes on a rowing machine. But for a female it would be much harder to get those numbers.. let alone numbers that Tropo burns.

I would say get some lessons in free weights.. use them and do cardio.. but formost check your diet. So scratch out sugar drinks and so on. There is a lot of information on healthy food.

Dont worry you will not be a beefcake overnight. If it was that easy everyone would look super good.

Being vastly overweight is just plain ugly, whether it is with fat or muscle.

.All the training programs in the world are not going to help you if you do not enjoy the excercise.

The big deception - If you don't enjoy it, don't do it.

You must treat exercise like a job. You work to earn a living - most people don't enjoy it but they still do it.

It should be the same way with an exercise program. Don't expect to enjoy it. It will be hard work and requires motivation and willpower.

Some of the most beneficial exercises are the most painful and least enjoyable.

Enjoy the results. Don't expect to enjoy the ride. Treat it like a job and you're more likely to stick at it.

Edited by tropo

Tropo,i can agree with you when you are at the level you are at but most people do not have the time, or are willing to change their lifestyle to become what i respectfully will call a gym junkie.

It is a well know fact that the biggest rush on gyms is just after new years and another given is that some three months later 80% are gone again.The reason?People do not stay with the program because they dont like the excercises.Luckily i was able to change that but only so much.

People ask a question about fitness and they get answers like,"i do supersets" what on earth is a beginner going to do with that?

If you start of like a pro you will get hurt!

Start slowly ,find something you like and take it from there.

Tropo i used to work with bodybuilders also but that is a totally different world.

.All the training programs in the world are not going to help you if you do not enjoy the excercise.

The big deception - If you don't enjoy it, don't do it.

You must treat exercise like a job. You work to earn a living - most people don't enjoy it but they still do it.

It should be the same way with an exercise program. Don't expect to enjoy it. It will be hard work and requires motivation and willpower.

Some of the most beneficial exercises are the most painful and least enjoyable.

Enjoy the results. Don't expect to enjoy the ride. Treat it like a job and you're more likely to stick at it.

I agree with the discipline and motivation factors but if i didn't enjoy it I wouldn't be spending an hour of every day swimming. I don't go to the gym for that reason...I simply don't enjoy it.

Tropo,i can agree with you when you are at the level you are at but most people do not have the time, or are willing to change their lifestyle to become what i respectfully will call a gym junkie.

It is a well know fact that the biggest rush on gyms is just after new years and another given is that some three months later 80% are gone again.The reason?People do not stay with the program because they dont like the excercises.Luckily i was able to change that but only so much.

People ask a question about fitness and they get answers like,"i do supersets" what on earth is a beginner going to do with that?

Tropo i used to work with bodybuilders also but that is a totally different world.

The thing is, how can you possibly get someone to actually enjoy most of the exercises you do in the gym? You can start them off on low intensity and hope they'll stick it out, but most of us push ourselves for the results, and if you don't push yourself, no results will come.

Being vastly overweight is just plain ugly, whether it is with fat or muscle.

Where was i talking about vastly overweight in muscle ? Just wonder where this response came from.

The thing is, how can you possibly get someone to actually enjoy most of the exercises you do in the gym? You can start them off on low intensity and hope they'll stick it out, but most of us push ourselves for the results, and if you don't push yourself, no results will come.

Tropo we talked before about this.. i do agree with you partly but i do enjoy the feeling of satisfaction a big workout gives. Does not mean i like each and everyone and each and every exercise.. But some i enjoy and i do enjoy it on days i really did a lot and my muscles felt good.

Tropo we talked before about this.. i do agree with you partly but i do enjoy the feeling of satisfaction a big workout gives. Does not mean i like each and everyone and each and every exercise.. But some i enjoy and i do enjoy it on days i really did a lot and my muscles felt good.

I like the way i feel after doing a good weights session. You feel king of the hill when you have done a hard session.

Simalarly i love the buzz you get after a tough squash game.

I have also done Bikram yoga classes and you feel absolutely sensational after one of these sessions.

You feel differently after each of these exercise activities but the main thing is you feel really good on a natural high.

My biggest motivator is my own sef esteem. I dont want to get lazy and fat. And most importantly I dont want to be in the hands of doctors and on a pill merry go round because i was too lazy or slack to take care of my own health.

• Like 1

I like the way i feel after doing a good weights session. You feel king of the hill when you have done a hard session.

Simalarly i love the buzz you get after a tough squash game.

I have also done Bikram yoga classes and you feel absolutely sensational after one of these sessions.

You feel differently after each of these exercise activities but the main thing is you feel really good on a natural high.

My biggest motivator is my own sef esteem. I dont want to get lazy and fat. And most importantly I dont want to be in the hands of doctors and on a pill merry go round because i was too lazy or slack to take care of my own health.

After I've blasted my body to the extreme I feel exhausted. I leave all my energy in the gym.

I certainly don't suffer from exercise "natural highs" after workouts. I go home to relax, eat and recover.