Paying 10,000+ Baht/Month On Electricity

Cheesekraft

we are in a large three bedroom house, I am not sure of the square meterage. It is rented. We are definitely NOT* running four ac/s around the clock, there is probably one running at all times and pretty often two, sometimes three, never four.

Two of the ACs upstairs are quite old, but neither are being used right now. One of them is a newer model and the one downstairs is a new esavings LG.

Ac seems pretty important to me, I can get by without it for short periods of time but when sleeping/staying in a room for a long time I am never comfortable without it.

I am considering investing in a ceiling fan just to extend the time I can be in a room without turning on the AC and still be comfortable.

all of the bedrooms have one AC, and there is one downstairs in a seperate room. There are only two rooms being lived in and about 1.5-2 ACs being run 24/7 and maybe two lights on 24/7 on average or something.

We servive the ACs regularly and just got checked to see if the neighbours are stealing the electricity, but we didn't get any solid answers from the electrician.

there is never an AC running when soemone is not in the room, and often I am in a room without an AC (kitchen for example). AC runs on low upstairs and "22-24 degrees" downstairs, a new LG "esavings" model.

I will look into improving the insulation in the house, but really don't see how we can drop the numbers down much more. If we were able to cut the power bill by half it would be worth it even though I am renting if it cost 10k baht~! Where did you get this done?

I run a gaming desktop and a 30'' monitor / 24'' side monitor for maybe 10 hours a day on average, I thought this might be a problem but when we checked the AMP it used far less than any of the ACs did (both monitors/computer).

I would be really excited if I could get the bill down to 5,000 or under each month.

thanks for all of the replies, they are very helpful. I am going to look into the insulation thing now, try to get the water heater replaced, and try to get a ceiling fan or two to cut back on air use.

Edited by Cheesekraft

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mind on 24-25 degree 24 hours a day everyday with bill 700 to 3800 bath per month in hot season.

So there must be something wrong with the OP AC system

Aircon running at 22 degrees in a 40 degree country. There's a big part of your problem.

Climatise yourself to around 28 degrees and you won't need to be wasting so much money on aircons.

Mind on 24-25 degree 24 hours a day everyday with bill 700 to 3800 bath per month in hot season.

Aircon running at 22 degrees in a 40 degree country. There's a big part of your problem.

Climatise yourself to around 28 degrees and you won't need to be wasting so much money on aircons.

Are you running one aircon 24/7, or 3 or 4 like the OP though?? And what is your electric unit rate?

any hints on how to do that? smile.png

Yes, stop putting your aircon on 22°C all of the time!!

I have 1 (oversized) 18,000 BTU aircon in our living room. The other two main living spaces; our bedroom and our son's playroom, are off of the living room so our aircon is used to cool all 3 rooms.

I usually turn it on at about 30°or 31°C and off again at around 28°or 29°. Anything lower than this feels arctic. The room will not get any hotter than 31°C with no aircon, even when it is 40+ outside.

The humidity in the room gets down to 45%. from high 70's. I'm guessing that by running your aircon 24/7 the humidity inside your house will be far too low which is not good for your health either.

Also, when I walk from our living room at 28°C into a non-aircon room feels like a Turkish bath, so if you are climatised at 22°C then you must really feel the heat whenever you are anywhere non-aircon'd or outside.

OP said "maybe running 1.5 AC 24/7 on average. NOT 3 or 4 at time" I have four AC but running one at at time mostly. I also use electric water heater almost all the time in the kitchen and bathroom and I bake stuff occasionally.

I dont know what a unit rate is but it says in the last bill is 802.00 bath per kilo watt

that 3434.29 bath total included VAT and Ft

For someone 'running 1.5 AC 24/7 on average' and pay over 10k I think someone is stealing them electricity

My water bill around 150-160 bath or three hundred something when we have visitors and I use rain shower and Inverter pump. So I think someone is stealing his water too!

Are you running one aircon 24/7, or 3 or 4 like the OP though?? And what is your electric unit rate?

Edited by ARISTIDE

he is talking usage in thb when it should in kw/hr. the same with water it should be in mtr3. that said i would keep a close watch on the meters and note the readings as either someone is stealing the elec/water or you are using all the elec and you have a water leak

OP said "maybe running 1.5 AC 24/7 on average. NOT 3 or 4 at time" I have four AC but running one at at time mostly. I also use electric water heater almost all the time in the kitchen and bathroom and I bake stuff occasionally.

I dont know what a unit rate is but it says in the last bill is 802.00 bath per kilo watt

For someone 'running 1.5 AC 24/7 on average' and pay over 10k I think someone is stealing them electricity

Like I calculated earlier in this thread, the OP is using an average of 4.6kW per hour for the month. 2x aircons running 24/7 trying to keep the room a chilly 22 degrees can easily be 3 or 4kW/hr. It seems very reasonable judging by what he has told us that he is using 10k baht of electric every month.

I'm on 24-25 degree most the time, you're saying 22 degrees make that much different?

Like I calculated earlier in this thread, the OP is using an average of 4.6kW per hour for the month. 2x aircons running 24/7 trying to keep the room a chilly 22 degrees can easily be 3 or 4kW/hr. It seems very reasonable judging by what he has told us that he is using 10k baht of electric every month.

WOW I have a 500 sq mtr house with swimming pool and have to pay the developer 5 bht per unit and I have never paid more the 3500 for a month of electricity

finally an excellent description with a wealth of detailed information how long a specific piece of string can be.

this encourages me to mention our details. we have a 622m² house which we keep at an average temperature of 26-26.5ºC and our last electricitity bill (may 21 till june 19) was 545 Baht and 59 Satang.

Very efficient Nam. Congratulations. How is it done? Are you in the cool mountains? Have a very thermal efficient house? Alternate source of electricity?

Yeah, Nam is just baiting you. He can't wait to tell you about his relatively new thermal-efficient house that he's described in 10,000 other posts through recent years. Go ahead, ask! rolleyes.gif

I can't complain about our electricity bill at all (the highest ever was like 2700 THB w all A/C's running 12/7, many fans, etc.), but we have never had a water bill less than 500 THB per month in the last 5 years, both under the old system and now with the new PWA system. No leaks - we had everything checked. I guess we just use a lot of water.

I would check to see if one of your neighbors has taped into your electricity.

The way to check, closed all electric appliances then look at electric meter (mostly installed at electric post/pole on the road next to your house) if it still run.

My wife stuck her finger down her throat and imitated somebody being sick when I told her this - ฿10 000.- a month? Admittedly we have a modest house in Isaan and I haven't moved in there yet, but with 60M2, A/C, fridge and stuff, she has never paid more than ฿300.- a month. (The house will double in size very soon).

I am constantly astounded by the amount of money that people claim to need to live in Thailand, even the consulate in Basel was puzzled by this posting when I was there recently. I hope she is right as I plan to live on ฿46 000.- a month.

My wife stuck her finger down her throat and imitated somebody being sick when I told her this - ฿10 000.- a month? Admittedly we have a modest house in Isaan and I haven't moved in there yet, but with 60M2, A/C, fridge and stuff, she has never paid more than ฿300.- a month. (The house will double in size very soon).

I am constantly astounded by the amount of money that people claim to need to live in Thailand, even the consulate in Basel was puzzled by this posting when I was there recently. I hope she is right as I plan to live on ฿46 000.- a month.

i am living in in a house which does not have AC my normal usage is 125kw/hr a month which includes hot water i cook with gas. when i am not there the usagr drops to 85 kw/h ( hot water not used) at a cost of 3.6 thb a kw/h my max bill is 450 thb water is about 50 thb a month. the house is about 110 m2. AC is the killer with the electricity and i have found very little need for it and do not have it in the house.

It seems to me that all the A/C's running and the inefficient water heater could be the cause of the OP's high bills. But it is possible. I know that the Thai family across from me occasionally have electric bills in the 5-6K THB per month range but they have a very large house and they keep the grounds well-lit at night. During the hot season they run a number of A/C units simultaneously.

WOW I have a 500 sq mtr house with swimming pool and have to pay the developer 5 bht per unit and I have never paid more the 3500 for a month of electricity

finally an excellent description with a wealth of detailed information how long a specific piece of string can be.

this encourages me to mention our details. we have a 622m² house which we keep at an average temperature of 26-26.5ºC and our last electricitity bill (may 21 till june 19) was 545 Baht and 59 Satang.

Next door are paying the rest. whistling.gif

OOOPS! did i forget to mention that we paid 545 Baht and 59 Satang per day?

It seems to me that all the A/C's running and the inefficient water heater could be the cause of the OP's high bills. But it is possible. I know that the Thai family across from me occasionally have electric bills in the 5-6K THB per month range but they have a very large house and they keep the grounds well-lit at night. During the hot season they run a number of A/C units simultaneously.

very large house... grounds well lit at night... they run a number of A/C units simultaneously

another extremely precise example which explains why the electricity bill is 5-6k Baht a month.

Very efficient Nam. Congratulations. How is it done? Are you in the cool mountains? Have a very thermal efficient house? Alternate source of electricity?

Yeah, Nam is just baiting you. He can't wait to tell you about his relatively new thermal-efficient house that he's described in 10,000 other posts through recent years. Go ahead, ask! rolleyes.gif

in none of my posts i claimed that my meanwhile six year old home is extremely energy efficient. yes, it is (compared to most others) quite energy efficient. and yes i made a baiting joke which i already explained but to be on the safe side here's the explanation again:

my last electricity bill was 15,822 Baht for 29 days which works out 545.59 Baht a day.

the efficiency of water heaters is irrelevant when you have permanently three females living in your home who use for a single shower including washing their hair an amount of hot water which an average male uses in one calendar year.

dry.png

I'm on 24-25 degree most the time, you're saying 22 degrees make that much different?

It is generally accepted that each degree below 25°C will add around 5-10% to your electricity usage.

actually the electricity consumption increases not linear but exponentially with every ºC lower starting at the temperature when the room is not airconditioned. "starting" temperature is of course dependent on ambient outside temperature and heat transfer from outside to inside.

Seems people rely on too much aircon. I find contra-rotating wall fans suit us better at night and they don't dry the air out as much. Only use aircon at the very hottest times. 3 bedrooms, office, oven etc. A very airy house close to nature means breeze coming through most of the day. Since building in 2009 I've never had an electric bill higher than 550 Baht.

relying appreciating airconditioning depends on the individual person. any advice such as "i find... i think... why not sweating a bit... i save on airconditioning to buy more beer... etc." is not only irrelevant but ridiculous.

Seems people rely on too much aircon. I find contra-rotating wall fans suit us better at night and they don't dry the air out as much. Only use aircon at the very hottest times. 3 bedrooms, office, oven etc. A very airy house close to nature means breeze coming through most of the day. Since building in 2009 I've never had an electric bill higher than 550 Baht.

relying appreciating airconditioning depends on the individual person. any advice such as "i find... i think... why not sweating a bit... i save on airconditioning to buy more beer... etc." is not only irrelevant but ridiculous.

It's not about trying to give advice; quoting a persons own circumstances is neither irrelevant or ridiculous. The OP is asking people what he can do to lower his bills and people have a right to answer as they see fit.

It's not about trying to give advice; quoting a persons own circumstances is neither irrelevant or ridiculous. The OP is asking people what he can do to lower his bills and people have a right to answer as they see fit.

I agree with trainman

All merry nit picking apart, I wonder if the OP has any kind of insulation in his house? We have insulated the ceiling and (sunside) walls of our house, and plan on extending the roof to keep the sun of the wall exposed mainly to the sun as well as providing an outside living space.. Double glazing? Dunno about that.

Anyway, we use the A/C only occasionally and I wonder sometimes if it was worthwhile installing.

All merry nit picking apart, I wonder if the OP has any kind of insulation in his house? We have insulated the ceiling and (sunside) walls of our house, and plan on extending the roof to keep the sun of the wall exposed mainly to the sun as well as providing an outside living space.. Double glazing? Dunno about that.

Anyway, we use the A/C only occasionally and I wonder sometimes if it was worthwhile installing.

Yeah, I'm wondering the same about putting insulation into our ceilings. I used 20cm Q-Cons for the whole house and the walls are stone cold throughout the day, even to touch in the outside of the house. My living room is on the west side of the house and the hottest it will get is 31.6 degrees when it is 42+ degrees outside, however at nighttime when it is 26 degrees outside it is 29 to 31 degrees inside. I don't see how insulating my ceiling will help this. Surely it will be better if our room had no ceiling at all and the roof was the ceiling at 8m high so all of the hot air could be even further away from me. Houses with ceilings high like this in the UK are very difficult to heat up and take a lot of energy.

Please somebody explain to me how insulating my ceiling will keep the hot air from coming down into my room and how by not letting the hot air rise out of the room is a good thing. I keep hearing that the insulation stops heat radiating down into the room.

Naam, you may come and tell me that everything I said is wrong! :)

We definitely noticed a difference when we put in insulation above the ceiling. We also installed insulating foil under the roof (stops radiant heat). Anyway now, if you are foolish enough to stick your head up there, the heat is intolerable. We also put a ventilation aperture at both ends of the roof space, I don't know about putting a fan in up there as some people recommend.

We definitely noticed a difference when we put in insulation above the ceiling. We also installed insulating foil under the roof (stops radiant heat). Anyway now, if you are foolish enough to stick your head up there, the heat is intolerable. We also put a ventilation aperture at both ends of the roof space, I don't know about putting a fan in up there as some people recommend.

What type of insulation did you use?