Good Chinese Resturant

agsnowdon

There's a place I had what I think you're describing, Peking Duck, on Mahidol Rd., just before the entrance to Chiang Mai Land.. I can't remember the name, but I remember it was Chanchao who gave me the idea.... He's got a description and photo of the place on his website... Whatever that is... :o

Anyway, 400 baht for the duck (enough for 4 people), great car parking, and a nice place. :D

Yes, like Ajarn mentioned I like that place a lot. Like most Chinese restaurants it's a bit up-market, but not more so than a fancy Western restaurant. Their big thing used to be the imported Chinese mushrooms, their tea and the Chinese Mushroom Fondue.. Haven't been there in a while but I get the feeling the focus is now more a general Chinese restraurant (though they always did general Chinese food incl. Peking duck)

I have some pictures of the place here: http://chanchao.fotopages.com/?entry=109742

Another place that's highly popular (with Thais) and looks totally like a place where Chinese-Thai families would go is the place opposite the [xxxxxxx oops, should have been 'Chiang Mai Plaza Hotel' --edited] on Sridonchai road (half way from the Night Bazar intersection towards the river). In front it looks like a cheapo open-air basic restaurant with basic wooden tables, but when you walk towards the back it opens up into a huge two-floor airconditioned restaurant with all the big round tables. I forgot what it's called but I'm sure someone can fill in the name.. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

Another place that's highly popular (with Thais) and looks totally like a place where Chinese-Thai families would go is the place opposite the [xxxxxxx oops, should have been 'Chiang Mai Plaza Hotel' --edited] on Sridonchai road (half way from the Night Bazar intersection towards the river). In front it looks like a cheapo open-air basic restaurant with basic wooden tables, but when you walk towards the back it opens up into a huge two-floor airconditioned restaurant with all the big round tables. I forgot what it's called but I'm sure someone can fill in the name.. :o

Hey thanks for your help I'm after the peking duck!

Would like to know the name of the othe resturaunt near the Night Bazzar. Anyone?

Thanks again.

The best Chinese cuisine I've had in Chiang Mai is in a little place tucked away next to a petrol station opposite the airport. Some overseas Chinese visitors who come to Chiang Mai regularly on business took me there - I would never have thought to go in as it looks like nothing special from the outside. Was very impressed with the quality of the cooking. Can't recall whether they have duck wth pancakes.

For Yunnanese cooking, I really like Mit Mai on Ratchamankha Rd, another very unassuming place.

In either restaurant you'll do better if you go with someone who knows Chinese cuisine well.

Gia Tong Heng, off intersection of Chang Klang Rd & Si Donchai Rd, calls itself the best chinese restaurant in CM? When we went last month for dinner, their usual Peking duck has gone up to 550b from 450b but the quality has dropped. It's basically 3 dishes for one price, the duck skin, sweet sauce,pancakes & two other fried duck meat dishes. What's the complain? The duck skin wasnt crispy, and the other two duck dishes were over-fried.

Maybe the chef was away, and his assistants were having a bad day? Perhaps you will have better luck?

---------

Gia Tong Heng Restaurant 275242, 273593, 820860-2

193/2-3 Sridonchai Rd.,

T. Chang Khlan,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50100

After years of stubborn resistance my wife finally managed to get me into a shiny red 'MK' resto - I was starving- Carrefour branch. 170B(?) for a half peking duck just as it should be- dark crispy skin ,juicy flavoursome flesh- Delish! Best I've had here since that place opposite Kasem's closed down.Been back twice since- same quality. Don't know about pancakes but good dim sum and pak kana in oyster sauce. Ooops- think I talked myself into a shopping trip this evening!

Cheers Fosa

Well the 2 of us went to The Best Chineese Resturant in Chiang Mai and thought the price for the peking duck was OTT, would have been ok if there was for of us to share the bill but I'm not paying 600bht for something I'd have to eat 70% of. In the end we went to this duck stall on the way home brought half a duck and ate that with that nice gravy sauce.

Spose the next question is does anyone know where to get the pancakes from?

Ash

> Well the 2 of us went to The Best Chineese Resturant in Chiang Mai and

> thought the price for the peking duck was OTT,

:D :D :D well it IS kind of a famed, high priced thing. It's like saying "Well we went to the dealer of the best cars in Chiang Mai and found that his Benz SLK was priced OTT." Could have told you that right away. :o The very same thing applies to Shark Fin soup by the way.

> would have been ok if there was for of us to share the bill but I'm not

> paying 600bht for something I'd have to eat 70% of. In the end

> we went to this duck stall on the way home brought half a duck and ate

> that with that nice gravy sauce.

Good move.. As far as duck stalls go, this is a nice one: http://chanchao.fotopages.com/?entry=64931

> Spose the next question is does anyone know where to

> get the pancakes from?

That's easy. They're basically the same as the sugar-floss 'roti' you see sold along the road sometimes. You know the type, white, pink or even green cotton-candy like sugar-floss that's wrapped in a pancake thingy. Cheap too. :D

Final question is how to get the skin crispy.. Let's see how far we get with a paint stripper from home-pro.. I think we could be on to something here!!

Let's see how far we get with a paint stripper from home-pro.. I think we could be on to something here!!

I used the paint stripper to dry our dog after his bath and you are right - skin just the right amount of crispy and he was delicious!

And BTW, your restaurant recommendations and pics are masterful and you have greatly enhanced my culinary experience in Chiang Mai. Thanks!

I STILL cannot get this multiple quote thing to work for me but can someone tell me the location of the Duangtawan Hotel? Don't see it on my little maps of CM...

Gia Tong Heng, off intersection of Chang Klang Rd & Si Donchai Rd, calls itself the best chinese restaurant in CM? When we went last month for dinner, their usual Peking duck has gone up to 550b from 450b but the quality has dropped. It's basically 3 dishes for one price, the duck skin, sweet sauce,pancakes & two other fried duck meat dishes. What's the complain? The duck skin wasnt crispy, and the other two duck dishes were over-fried.

Maybe the chef was away, and his assistants were having a bad day? Perhaps you will have better luck?

---------

Gia Tong Heng Restaurant 275242, 273593, 820860-2

193/2-3 Sridonchai Rd.,

T. Chang Khlan,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50100

Never had any problem with the Chinese food in Gia Tong Heng but if you do talk to the boss ..she is the little old lady who works on the service counter on the left hand side as you enter from the car park.

Forget her name..will find out next time (friend of a friend) but she always comes over and sits for a chat when i-we have been there....but NO free beer :o

Had the duck in there but dont really go for their style of cooking...its NOT crispy enough for me (give it another ha natti krup :D )....only joking..

Also never as yet ever seen a foreigner in the place ..yet..only Thais /Chinese.......mai phut...

Think the best one is in the Royal Princess Hotel on the Nightmarket. They have a quite fancy Chinese restaurant on the first floor. Great duck w/ pancakes and plum sauce as well as the best chilie sauce in town. Always take a few bags home! After you eat the duck skin etc, they will cook the remainder of the duck any style you want. Most of the time it's too much food, so we take home and have lovely chilie duck for days to come. Nice place, good service and impressive.