Soi Forbidden To Farangs

aneliane

I would simply take my dog for a walk somewhere else. Or move apartments.

Quite simple stuff really....who wants to live with unhappiness and fear?

I must say your experience is quite different to that experienced recently by phuturatica.....and wonder to myself....why is that so?

The solution is staring the OP in the face! smile.png

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I must say your experience is quite different to that experienced recently by phuturatica.....and wonder to myself....why is that so?

A new avatar?

• Like 1

A new avatar?

The rodent is quite endearing!smile.png

With the abundance of rentals on the market why prolong the agony! No matter what gender one is, the feeling of being safe is paramount. A hostile environment isnt good for ones sanity no matter where in the world you live.

Each and every one of of us has a level of acceptance, when people over step the mark, its grand decision time.. Life is very simple when you want it to be!rolleyes.gif

A new avatar?

The rodent is quite endearing!smile.png

With the abundance of rentals on the market why prolong the agony! No matter what gender one is, the feeling of being safe is paramount. A hostile environment isnt good for ones sanity no matter where in the world you live.

Each and every one of of us has a level of acceptance, when people over step the mark, its grand decision time.. Life is very simple when you want it to be!rolleyes.gif

I think we need a poll on this issue. Let's all help aneliane decide.

JT we need your skills at once!!

I was wondering if anyone can tell me, i was in a soi in Bangkok several years ago with another western man.

cannot recall what part but i feel it may have been around sukhimvit, 2 japanese men came out of a restaurant and told us we must leave the soi ASAP as its japanese only, they had beautiful suites on and were about 25 years old.

I was not having it because we were in a soi, not in a club, not in any form of establishment, but they insisted it was a japanese soi andthere is nothing there for us.

me and my friend were only passing through, we had our muay thai camps shirt on, well known camp, they cleary were not phased or detered, thai clubs usualy wai then race you to the nearest tables when we wear them, sorryif that sounds big headed but its true.

are there japanese soi's like this or was it 2 fools playing games, as i said they had suits on, spoke good english, and thinking back there were no farang in the soi despite being fullof establishments.

need to know its driving me nuts.

Doesnt sound like Suk, more like soi Thanya in Patpong.

This area is for Japenese, all the signs are in Japanese, if I remember correctly the enterance to this soi has security guards,

so if this was the area I dont know how you got passed them.

Yes there are areas of Bkk where the Japanese hang out, and farang arent welcome in their bars/clubs, but have never heard of anyone being told to leave a soi.

Are you sure this wasnt the back sois of Ekamai.

They have some sort of Guards on the Silom side, but I thought they were for traffic, they have never stopped me from walking through, as a short cut. Yes a Japanese/Korean/HK etc Soi but only the clubs not the street itself

it's 100 meters from my house, I have been also thrown out of a shop on my own soi because it was muslim

Quite frankly if I were a Thai Muslim who visited this website on a regular basis and saw the amount of racist discrimination that is discussed about them here, I would have a general dislike of westerners also, not to mention the ones who completely disregard their culture and customs on some of the Thai Muslim Islands where westerners go topless and treat the beach as if it were a commune in Southern France..

Since when is downtown Bangkok the bastion of freedom for muslims?

Please, as if any muslim has one iota of respect for western or eastern cultures. In fact they have zero respect for any culture except their own. Now please go crawl back under your rock.

Thus spoke the voice of reason and respect

SC

EDIT: I should highlight that that was sarcasm, as I expect Keysersoze may know as little about humour as he does about Islam

We all live by our own life experience and I stand by my comments. As far as my knowledge of islam, I hold it in equal disdain to christianity and judaism. My years of work in the big sandbox gives me at least equal experience to yours, that is if you have any real experience with muslims on a day to day basis.

EDIT: How much respect was shown to aneliane?

Edited by KeyserSoze01
  • Like 2

it's 100 meters from my house, I have been also thrown out of a shop on my own soi because it was muslim

Quite frankly if I were a Thai Muslim who visited this website on a regular basis and saw the amount of racist discrimination that is discussed about them here, I would have a general dislike of westerners also, not to mention the ones who completely disregard their culture and customs on some of the Thai Muslim Islands where westerners go topless and treat the beach as if it were a commune in Southern France..

Please, as if any muslim has one iota of respect for western or eastern cultures. In fact they have zero respect for any culture except their own. Now please go crawl back under your rock.

SC

EDIT: I should highlight that that was sarcasm, as I expect Keysersoze may know as little about humour as he does about Islam

We all live by our own life experience and I stand by my comments. As far as my knowledge of islam, I hold it in equal disdain to christianity and judaism. My years of work in the big sandbox gives me at least equal experience to yours, that is if you have any real experience with muslims on a day to day basis.

I live in a Muslim area of Pattaya and interact on a day to day basis with the Muslim community. Never had the issues that the OP has experienced. However I don't disrespect their culture/beliefs by my actions.

Edited by simple1

whistling.gif Are you a male or a female?

Here's the thing about some Muslims and dogs.

There is a story....I believe Muslims would call it part of the stories about Mohammed which I think (may not have the name right) is called the Hadith or oral tradition about Mohammed.

The story is that before he was accepted in mecca, Mohammed had to leave Mecca and go to the nearby city of Medina. At that time Mohammed was in some political and doctrinal problems with the then established political and religious authorities in Mecca.

Mohammed therefore fled from Mecca at night....and as he was leaving a dog barked at him, waking up some people in the nieghborhood.

To many devout Moslems, that is why dogs are disliked.

I once saw a man in Saudi Arabia deliberately try to run down a dog wandering in the road with his car. i was with a Saudi friend who spoke good English...and he's the one who told me that Islamic tradition about dogs.

Did you notice if there was, by chance, a Mosque or prayer room in that area? Was that person who stopped you possibly a Moslem?

Because it sounds to me like you might have encountered a very devout Moslem....and IF

1. You are female....dressed (by his terns) "inappropriately".

2. Walking a dog near where he was going to pray or had just left after prayers.

3. And were a westerner-infidel (again by his definition)

then you triggered his angry response.

Basically, you can't do anything about it.....so just ignore him as best you can.

whistling.gif

Footnote:

I'm not condoning his actions...or even saying it waS justified.

I spent 5 years working in Saudi Arabia....and there were very hard line Moslems who hated my guts, and there were Moslems who were much more tolerant.

It's just like some Christians....who won't/can't approve of anyone's livestyle except their own lifestyle.

That's why I say you can't do anything about it...just try to avoid the fools.

Edited by metisdead

There is a story....I believe Muslims would call it part of the stories about Mohammed which I think (may not have the name right) is called the Hadith or oral tradition about Mohammed.

The story is that before he was accepted in mecca, Mohammed had to leave Mecca and go to the nearby city of Medina. At that time Mohammed was in some political and doctrinal problems with the then established political and religious authorities in Mecca.

Mohammed therefore fled from Mecca at night....and as he was leaving a dog barked at him, waking up some people in the nieghborhood.

I once saw a man in Saudi Arabia deliberately try to run down a dog wandering in the road with his car. i was with a Saudi friend who spoke good English...and he's the one who told me that Islamic tradition about dogs.

Did you notice if there was, by chance, a Mosque or prayer room in that area? Was that person who stopped you possibly a Moslem?

Because it sounds to me like you might have encountered a very devout Moslem....and IF

2. Walking a dog near where he was going to pray or had just left after prayers.

Basically, you can't do anything about it.....so just ignore him as best you can.

whistling.gif

All of it is irrelevant. Because Thailand is not a Muslim country and Bangkok is certainly not a suburb of Yala.

Unless he or some imam bought the entire soi including public road he has no right to open his mouth

SC

There's a loonie lives on our street, but I don't hold buddhists in contempt on account of him. I lived amongst Christians when I was young, amongst taoists in Hong Kong, but the most devout were the Muslims that I worked with in Malaysia. In none of those countries have I experienced any persecution for my beliefs (or others' perception of my beliefs), though I go to Church more in Malaysia than anywhere else.

SC

whistling.gif

All of it is irrelevant. Because Thailand is not a Muslim country and Bangkok is certainly not a suburb of Yala.

Unless he or some imam bought the entire soi including public road he has no right to open his mouth

Are we all to refrain from opening our mouths unless we own the street, or only Muslims? Or only bigots? If the latter, please provide a list of bigots that we can enforce your rule. I assume you own your street.

SC

Have you ever seen any other Farangs in this Soi?

I would have thought up near OnNut there would be quite a few.

Well, at least one or two..

As said previously, it's onnut soi which is 15 km long and I am on the prawet section.

Apologies aneliane, I'm just not understanding you?

A 'soi which is 15 km long'

Anyway, what I was trying to identify was that if there was just you who had this experience then it could be a Farang/non-Muslim slur.

But if there were many Farang/non-Muslim the slur would be focused on just you ... and can understand why you would feel violated.

Soi On Nut runs from Sukhumvit Road to On Nut. Maybe it joins Soi Pattanakarn at On Nut (not sure about that, but I think On Nut is further South and further East); there's certainly a few muslim communities in that quarter; particularly the big mosques on the South Side of Rama IX near Patanakarn.

SC

You must have failed miserably at geography.

How does a road that runs to east to west have a south side?

Call me crazy but I always thought bkk was a Buddhist city.

Perhaps next time tell him to f.... Off and give him to the count of 5 or you would set the dog on him.

Of course prominently Buddhist, but their will be areas that land is traditionally owned by Muslims. The OP knows she lives in a Muslim area, so again doesn't it come down to showing some basic respect towards their customs/beliefs, rather than taking actions that are going to antagonise the local community. if it were a traditional Jewish area would you walk your pet pig, leave it in front of a Jewish owned shop without expecting a negative response?

You must have failed miserably at geography.

How does a road that runs to east to west have a south side?

From having an East end and a West end, and sides to either side of it. On the South side (in thailand) traffic runs from East to West, while on the North side, traffic runs from West to East. Imagine yourself standing on that road. Perhaps it would help to go there and stand on the road, or at the side of it. Either side. Now hold out one arm. Either arm. In the other hand, hold your compass. Sorry, I should've mentioned that earlier, shouldn't I. Follow the arm that you are holding out, and look in that direction. Now use the compass to determine in which direction that arm is pointing. Let's call that side of the road by that direction.

I can see now why the chicken crossed the road...

SC

• Like 1

"A normal soi " ....you wont find any of those in Bangkok unless its an old money soi around Ari,Sanam Pao,Suthisan district. No dogs,no vendors and no men urinating against walls.

Most soi's in Bangkok have soi dogs,food scraps ,food vendors,bent cops, noisy tuk tuks and the ubiquitious smelly farangs living with hookers in hong lek's.

• Like 1

A new avatar?

The OP aneliane has tried that many times ... apparently without success.

Seems as if she is searching for something.

Maybe the Muslin on the motorbike was more perceptive then you think.

Many of the problems we have in life have childhood roots.

So maybe he was giving directions for your life.

The instruction to 'GO HOME' could be a call to prayer for you.

Maybe a time to return to France, even if just for a holiday.

Like many of the Forum here, just trying to help ... biggrin.png

OH ... if you need a 2nd opinion ... you could always ask the guy in the Van parked opposite your place ... whistling.gif

• Like 2

perhaps like you they were as foolish enough to judge a stranger

So me and the lad found ourselves in a red light district of Kobe with a bit of a thirst on. There were loads of places there that looked like they sold drink, and with signs outside, but with big numbers, and we were frightened we'd get charged that much for a bit of a sing-song. So we carried on walking, and eventually came to a place called "London Pub" which we reckoned was a banker for a beer. Down some stairs, through a heavy door, into a little room "Two beers please" with our cheeriest friendly smiles.

"Don't have beer" and, to be fair, that could have been true, but it was obvious they didn't want us there. So we went back to the suburbs to 7-11. I blame that on my naivite, ignorance, and lack of endeavour, rather than trying to pass any blame to the Japanese involved; we could have persevered, and got drink there, or somewhere else, but it did not seem worth it. It wasn't near my house, so it was not a big issue; it did not affect my future lifestyle

SC

Really? How bizarre.

What kind of shirt were you wearing?

I think the post is nonsense and the OP is just lonely and looking for attention.

Social media is the way to go apparently for lonely folks that don't go out to much.

Well, she did go out. She went to an unfriendly soi and a was thrown out of a shop. After such experiences, I would not 'go out' for a while.

• Like 1

Dude, it is not about your dog or being a farang, it was your shirt. I know for a fact that all Thais hate Gap shirts because one Thai guy on a motorbike once told me he would never shop at the Gap.

what was all about??