Hotdog Rolls

bobroper

I think the best ones are made by the Danish Bakery in back of the Villa Market near Emporium. You can also get them in the Villa market as well.

I use them for hotdogs, flank steak sandwiches, and even for garlic bread (although the partially-baked baguettes available inside that Villa and the one on Soi 11 makes better garlic bread.)

If you are near Saphanmai market, there is a vendor inside that sells western-style sliced bread with a nice dark brown crust and refreshing yeasty-bread aroma (as opposed to the wafer-thin, semi-sweet bread sold at Big C) along with hamburger and hotdog rolls. The HD rolls are all stuck together and about three times longer than standard-issue buns so you will need to do some cutting, but you will end up with serviceable HD rolls. About two dozen, if I recall correctly.

I still have half in the freezer because I can't eat them fast enough.

aaaaaand here's a pic of the dozen that I still have in the fridge. I sliced the loaf into thirds to make it fit better, but pieced them back together for this photo op. The look a little wrinkly because I've jammed them into an already-full fridge, but they are nice and smooth at purchase.

post-140919-0-30829100-1342751457_thumb.

You get the idea. Not your standard pull-apart set of HD rolls but much better than folding a slice of bread around a wiener. 32 baht for two dozen.

Edited by attrayant

I see those buns all over Thailand mostly at the local market or by street vendors, they are not Thai hot dog buns, the Thai use them as Ice cream buns.

But they are also good in my use for hot dog buns.

Cheers:smile.png

• 6 years later...

Since I originally posted this, I've seen both HD and hamburger rolls regularly at Foodland (Ram Intra 31)  and now (occasionally) at Big C near me (Sapphanmai). Possibly they are trying to bring in some more western items because of all the new condos going up around me.  Here's the HD rolls they have:

IMG_8354.JPG.e7ace2ed6387e7619d038b5b5c628c44.JPG

I almost always buy a couple of packs even if I don't plan to use them because I can freeze them and hopefully it encourages them to keep restocking.