Blueboard And Skim-Coat Plaster

Morakot

Perhaps some more information may generate some response.

I am looking for a type of plasterboard (gypsum board) for having a dry wall built. This type of board referred to as "blueboard" is suitable for plastering onto as it has specific paper coating . Normal plasterboard can only be painted.

Does anyone know where to buy this.

gypsum board with that paper coating is a waste of time.... If I remember the price right was around 300 baht for 2 boards and a bag of the plaster, I built a storeroom area in the kitchen.......... That was 6 months ago, now needs to be removed as every day more of the skimming plaster is on the floor and little white worms, , the framework I coated 3 times but is still being eaten away.....

The kitchen I built myself 8 years ago with the then very expensive white 60x20x7 Thermo block [now less the 1/2 the price as back then], glued and skimmed plastered, still perfect..

I have used the Normal plasterboard and painted both inside and outside of the house, 3 + years on still perfect..but is far more expensive...

By the way the gypsum board with that paper coating I bought from a small builders suppliers between this Village and the next Village, so guess any builders suppliers stock it.

gypsum board with that paper coating is a waste of time.... If I remember the price right was around 300 baht for 2 boards and a bag of the plaster, I built a storeroom area in the kitchen.......... That was 6 months ago, now needs to be removed as every day more of the skimming plaster is on the floor and little white worms, , the framework I coated 3 times but is still being eaten away.....

The kitchen I built myself 8 years ago with the then very expensive white 60x20x7 Thermo block [now less the 1/2 the price as back then], glued and skimmed plastered, still perfect..

I have used the Normal plasterboard and painted both inside and outside of the house, 3 + years on still perfect..but is far more expensive...

By the way the gypsum board with that paper coating I bought from a small builders suppliers between this Village and the next Village, so guess any builders suppliers stock it.

Thanks for the information!

All plasterboards have some type of paper coating; the difference is just in the water absorbent level. What kind of skim-coat (veneer) plaster did you use? Once plastered properly (skim-coated plaster) it is usually much sturdier and tends to last considerably longer. One or two coats of plaster is the norm.

This is material and technique I had in mind:

PlasterVeneerWorker.jpgPlasterVeneerColor.jpg

I wonder, after reading your description, whether this is a problem with the plaster or some high level of humidity issue.

Edited by Morakot

I guess, this is what's called "greenboard" that is water resistant, as this is used outside.

Just to clarify, there is

• Normal plasterboard (white/ greyish); it can only be painted; it's not water resistant and should not to be used in wet areas
  • Greenboard; it can only be painted; it's water resistant and can be used in wet areas
  • Blueboard; it can be plastered onto; can cope with some water after being plastered depending on the plaster mix

Edited by Morakot

Sorry No idea....... The 1st boards 8x4 i used are the same as they use for ceilings, only comes in different thickness, same stuff as they have in boards [different wide and thickness] used as face boards outside....... both the 3 and 4 meter stripes and the 8 x 4 boards if you drop them they scatter in to bits, over the years have used about 11 of these 8x4 sheets [as dry lining for one wall in kitchen, kitchen and bedroom cupboards etc] Also were delivered free but then is less then 2 km...

The boards from 6 months ago is like used in the UK for inside of houses as per your pictures, the paper was white on one side and beige on the other.......... The owner of the shop she speaks perfect English and calls these boards gypsum boards, the other sheet boards and face boards she calls plasterboard

As for the plaster no idea, she gave me in a plastic bag from a big sack.

Edit: my kitchen is 8 x 3 meters and the cupboard I made of this gypsum board is on a inside wall, and no water anywhere near it.

Edited by ignis

Sorry No idea....... The 1st boards 8x4 i used are the same as they use for ceilings, only comes in different thickness, same stuff as they have in boards [different wide and thickness] used as face boards outside....... both the 3 and 4 meter stripes and the 8 x 4 boards if you drop them they scatter in to bits, over the years have used about 11 of these 8x4 sheets [as dry lining for one wall in kitchen, kitchen and bedroom cupboards etc] Also were delivered free but then is less then 2 km...

The boards from 6 months ago is like used in the UK for inside of houses as per your pictures, the paper was white on one side and beige on the other.......... The owner of the shop she speaks perfect English and calls these boards gypsum boards, the other sheet boards and face boards she calls plasterboard

As for the plaster no idea, she gave me in a plastic bag from a big sack.

Edit: my kitchen is 8 x 3 meters and the cupboard I made of this gypsum board is on a inside wall, and no water anywhere near it.

I see, thanks for this! You may have possibly used the normal plaster board, the ones that should only be painted. In that case, you must have done a really good job with the plaster, if it has last six month.

The one I'm looking for look like this.

Greenwood_application_Lagre.jpg

They are not always blue; sometimes they look like this:

gypsum-plasterbase_200.jpg

Anyone seen these kind of "plasterbase" base-layer gypsum boards here in Thailand?

There are several reputable manufacturers of wall board in Thailand. You might check out the web site of

http://www.thaigypsum.com/home_en.html

I've been to their office in Bangkok and they had staff who spoke and understood English.

Thai Gypsum Products Pcl.

(Bangkok Head Office)

Gypsum Metropolitan Tower,

539/2 Si Ayutthaya Road, Ratchathewi,

Bangkok 10400 THAILAND

Tel: +66-2-6408600

There are several reputable manufacturers of wall board in Thailand. You might check out the web site of

http://www.thaigypsum.com/home_en.html

I've been to their office in Bangkok and they had staff who spoke and understood English.

Thai Gypsum Products Pcl.

(Bangkok Head Office)

Gypsum Metropolitan Tower,

539/2 Si Ayutthaya Road, Ratchathewi,

Bangkok 10400 THAILAND

Tel: +66-2-6408600

Thanks.

It is quite possible that the little white worms are termites. They will eat the paper.

Can the GREEN board thats used in bathrooms also be used out side under the eaves of houses instead of cement type of board?

Possibly yes, but I think it really depends whether it is directly exposed to rainwater or splashes of rainwater coming up from the ground. If so, you would need to tile it. The problem with this set up (without titles, only painted) for an outside wall is that one could theoretical punch a hole through there without any tools. If plastered or tiled that's not normally possible

It is quite possible that the little white worms are termites. They will eat the paper.

If properly plastered the paper will be entirely enclosed and therefore not accessible to any insects. The damage to the paper surface on the inside the drywall would not affect the paster on the outside.

• 3 weeks later...

Can the GREEN board thats used in bathrooms also be used out side under the eaves of houses instead of cement type of board?

No, I wouldn't anyway... use a designated soffit board. The greenboard is approved for damp areas, such as bathrooms, but not wet areas per the Tile Council of North America. So, for example, you can't use as a backerboard for tile at showers or tub surrounds. it essentially melts into a moldy mess. If using a stud-framed wall, hang a waterproof membrane sheeting to the studs that's lapped over the tub ledge or shower basin flashing, then attach cement board, then your tile system on top of that. In Asia, it's just easier to do a block wall.

Edited by bbradsby
  • Like 1