Has Anyone Tried The Three Little Pigs Soul Kitchen Resturant

vacationman

potato salad..looked nice but on edge of being raw-undercooked..not much flavor for soul food and chunks of white onion in ps?.....slaw...no "spice at all"no flavor at all..very bland.....and lastly the pork...im sure was good when finished but seemed to be reheated on grill and bone dry..like twigs!

i literally pulled out twigs of burned pork and had to chew hard..no sauce..dried out meat..a shame

Well at least the couple of times I have been you are provided with sauce bottles to add as much as you please... so the only person you have to blame for the no sauce is you and your possibly bad eye sight wink.png

I can agree on the slaw, could do with a bit more flavour. Potato salad was all right, but not amazing.

A pity about the pork though, when I had some the other day it was fine and quite a treat. I have also tried the chicken and had no issues.

It should be really interesting when they open up the inside section (it looks massive). I was talking to the owners son when I went in the other night and he said they were getting a chef from America to come out, and that the chef would be the one to create the full menu.

And no I am not affiliated in any way.

all im saying is the pork should be a bit sauced to keep it wet--it was so dry....i saw the sauce and used plenty to get the sandwich down....if they need a chef i worked in cm as one and went to cooking school in usa...needless to say the cm "market" stole my recipes and ideas!! shock

id be happy to help out good ole saint nick get it right as what i noted earlier i love bbq...

as far as the eyesight jab now maybe i know why i havent joined this site in living in cm over 3 yrs

Went back. Agree about chips, not good, not necessary. Pulled pork was really good and had toasted fresh bun. It's not mixed with much bbq sauce as I'm use to and they do give bottle on table, not quite the same thing as the juices don't get to meddle but found their was was very nice so thumbs up. Huge portion esp. with side dishes, which I also agree look more exciting then they taste, and very good deal but think price will go up once established. Taco creative, attractive but needs more chicken, kind of a trendy thing and less of a good down home food. Also heard they are having a Chef from America, actually Boston where I had restaurants, who is going to expand menu and will use back room. Richard said they are figuring things out as they go so with this in consideration it's a good work in progress. It is not the way it's done in the West as one would be concerned that if customers tried the place and it was not good they would not go back and tell their friends too. We would have it figured all out before we opened and charged for the food and perhaps tweaked it afterwards a little, but this is not America after all. Like the idea, attitude, staff, food quality, location (parking for car in front at least in day when i've been), type of food and looking forward to see what they have in store next.

PLUSES-- Portions are huge, every side dish and sauce was excellent, prices a bargain, staff attentive. Waiter told me he changed the cole slaw recipe and asked if I liked it. When I said yes, he ran over and scooped another serving on the plate. Like eating with family.

MINUSES-- The pulled pork was fatty. Y'all should buy export quality lean pork from Saraphi, local Thai market pork is unsuitable for pulled pork--far too fatty. Also, Thais don't use salt in cooking- and with no salt or dry rub shakers on the tables something was missing.

The minuses are easily surmountable, and I plan to return--but to split an order with a dinner guest as the porions are truly gianormous. Glad you're open, pal.

At least Richard is honest: when I told him the pork sandwich was the best I'd had since leaving the US, he said "you're lucky you weren't here three weeks ago."

My second trip was to try the ribs. They were quite tasty, and the portion was enormous. As is often the case with ribs that have been refrigerated and reheated, they were a bit dry. More sauce solved the problem.

I have to agree with the comment about needing more mustard in the potato salad, and a little vinegar would perk up the cole slaw.

My companion had Mexican dishes, and wasn't happy with either. I tried them, and had to agree they were missing something.

I'll be back in a couple of days to try the chicken.

My offer to go in there and assist good ole saint nick stands....i ate there and it needs "tweeking"bad

i attnd culinary arts in 1987..born/raised usa...been cooking over 25 yrs..

made the mistake of teaching the crew at R-mp--ng my secrets as u can see they are still selling well at the airport location...sold so well thet rebuilt a whole new kitchen for it--tell them i said "ur welcome"

id love to score a pit beef...red onion---homemade bbq sauce---horseradish--straight up---rare...

My offer to go in there and assist good ole saint nick stands....i ate there and it needs "tweeking"bad

made the mistake of teaching the crew at R-mp--ng my secrets as u can see they are still selling well at the airport location...sold so well thet rebuilt a whole new kitchen for it--tell them i said "ur welcome"

id love to score a pit beef...red onion---homemade bbq sauce---horseradish--straight up---rare...

If you want to help them, why don't you just cook them a great BBQ and take it in for them to Taste.

If it's GREAT they might decide to invite you to help out with consulting or something.

Think you mentioned being from Boston.... maybe someone else said that... but what does Boston know about good BBQ?

LOL, just joking...

Think you mentioned being from Boston.... maybe someone else said that... but what does Boston know about good BBQ?

Chiang Mai could use some good Boston baked beans. That was the best thing on the old Hell's Kitchen's menu (besides the excellent deviled eggs which I also miss).

• Like 1

I'm the one from Boston (and even won a baked bean contest against many Chef's incl. all the major hotels in Beantown). If one knows how to cook and understands food science etc. as a chef should it doesn't matter where he's from they may be able to cook anything esp. since most chef's have trained in different places to gain experience (except don't tell a Thai a falang can make Thai food - lol). Anyway Vacationman might just be a Yankee fan. Sticky Rice Balls where did you go to school? I'm a CIA man. We have a nice (American style) bbq at home here and my Thai family always asks for ribs ect.

If you want to help them, why don't you just cook them a great BBQ and take it in for them to Taste.

If it's GREAT they might decide to invite you to help out with consulting or something.

LOL, just joking...

i am from east coast but not boston...i dont have a kitchen as well....

Chiang Mai could use some good Boston baked beans. That was the best thing on the old Hell's Kitchen's menu (besides the excellent deviled eggs which I also miss).

I made deviled eggs for the market i cooked for in cm(mae ***+**** river-thats the store)

i wanted to create dishes u could only get from me--hence deviled eggs--the japanese loved them

I'm the one from Boston (and even won a baked bean contest against many Chef's incl. all the major hotels in Beantown). If one knows how to cook and understands food science etc. as a chef should it doesn't matter where he's from they may be able to cook anything esp. since most chef's have trained in different places to gain experience (except don't tell a Thai a falang can make Thai food - lol). Anyway Vacationman might just be a Yankee fan. Sticky Rice Balls where did you go to school? I'm a CIA man. We have a nice (American style) bbq at home here and my Thai family always asks for ribs ect.

Sad to say the name has changed many times and since closed--Baltimore International Culinary Arts in 1987 but dropped out after 6 months to go get my knives dirty jumping around kitchens and learning from chefs as u say..get paid to learn..the school sucked and waste of $$$

I worked here as chef(tho i just like to cook)and used to work for whole foods on east coast as well

Id love to have a cafe but not willing to partner up with a thai(no offense)as my exp's here= not good

The "market"i designed the menu for stole my ideas and recipes and can go in there(airport)and see my ideas..it was such a success they rebuilt the whole kitchen which used to be a demo kitchen

Could see they were copying my recipes and asked the "boss" 3x- he denied they would ever do-ha!

Took me a year to get a permit from them and lasted 5 months..the guys i taught were horrible cooks

As noted fav food----pit beef--rare to med rare--homemade bbq sauce-horseradish--red onion--yes!

• 1 month later...

I dropped by for lunch on Friday, and met the new chef. She's from Boston, and is professionally trained.

Everything was already different from my previous three visits, and her influence is clear.

Look out for a unique interpretation of apple pie in the future.

Richard said he plans an opening night September 29. After 7ish.

• 1 year later...

My girlfriend and I tried the "Three Little Pigs" restaurant today for lunch. I had the barbecue ribs and she had the barbecue chicken. Both were excellent with generous portions and not expensive. I'll return for sure. Another excellent restaurant to add to the many great restaurants in CM. smile.png

Mmm. The gumbo sounds good. We went last week and had the catfish po'boy and the pulled pork sandwich. We put some of the slaw on the po'boy and it was a little difficult to eat, but we cut it into sections and that worked out. It was pretty good. The pulled pork sandwich was good and the beans were quite flavorful. We will try to eat here again. While we were waiting, we were watching a guy taking dough rolling it out and making flour tortillas (I assume). I might have to try something with tortillas!

I've been by this place many times and have never seen many customers. As someone else mentioned, this is often not a good sign. I am craving a big helping of red beans & rice, but I doubt it can be done right here. You need smoked ham hocks, with meat falling off the bone to do it right. Never have seen those around here.

The gumbo...do they make it up fresh and often, or is it done in a big batch, frozen, and served until the batch runs out? What is in it? You can't dick around with gumbo, that's a venial sin.

No corn bread?? Gotta have fresh hot corn bread.

Then there's the "free chips". If these are same ones served at El Diablo's they put your dental work in peril, and are best avoided, unless you are really hungry and unafraid of a little pain. Thick, over-large, hard, dangerous! As for El D's being "authentic Mexican food", please...It's a fair interpretation, and miles ahead of that joint across the road (corner Moon Muang & Ratchwithi) but authentic, it is not. I'll go in for a burrito when I'm REALLY hungry. I like their music selection, usually. The lime mint drink is very good. Backpackers haven.

The BBQ pulled pork sandwich sounds worthy of trial, but the sauce should already be in the meat (IMHO), not poured from a jar.

I'll give the place a try. If I don't like it I won't say anything. If I like it I'll give 'em a plug. I'm no twitchy "foodie", and am fairly easy to please. You've gotta be, around here, I think.

One of my favorite places. I don't care for gumbo too much but have had it there and it was O.K. Just about everything is very good there. I like the slow cooked, smoked, BBQ hamburger there even better than Duke's burgers.

If you go in the evenings you will see 3 or 4 people rolling the dough (corn) and making the tortilla chips for El Diablos. It's quite an operation!

Richard is good host and a bit of a character too. Portions are generous.

I've been by this place many times and have never seen many customers. As someone else mentioned, this is often not a good sign. I am craving a big helping of red beans & rice, but I doubt it can be done right here. You need smoked ham hocks, with meat falling off the bone to do it right. Never have seen those around here.

The gumbo...do they make it up fresh and often, or is it done in a big batch, frozen, and served until the batch runs out? What is in it? You can't dick around with gumbo, that's a venial sin.

No corn bread?? Gotta have fresh hot corn bread.

Then there's the "free chips". If these are same ones served at El Diablo's they put your dental work in peril, and are best avoided, unless you are really hungry and unafraid of a little pain. Thick, over-large, hard, dangerous! As for El D's being "authentic Mexican food", please...It's a fair interpretation, and miles ahead of that joint across the road (corner Moon Muang & Ratchwithi) but authentic, it is not. I'll go in for a burrito when I'm REALLY hungry. I like their music selection, usually. The lime mint drink is very good. Backpackers haven.

The BBQ pulled pork sandwich sounds worthy of trial, but the sauce should already be in the meat (IMHO), not poured from a jar.

I'll give the place a try. If I don't like it I won't say anything. If I like it I'll give 'em a plug. I'm no twitchy "foodie", and am fairly easy to please. You've gotta be, around here, I think.

Sometimes there are few customers and other times it's packed. We went about a month ago and it was absolutely packed with Chinese tourists. Business seems to be fine there.

As I recall, the gumbo is made every couple of days. It takes almost an entire day to simmer one pot. Not frozen. They have corn bread. I like the chips there and at El Diablos, but to each their own. Never seen any backpackers in there before. The burger is around 240 Baht so not really their kind of place. The pulled pork sandwich is excellent. Sauce is not poured from a jar. Give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

My girlfriend and I tried the "Three Little Pigs" restaurant today for lunch. I had the barbecue ribs and she had the barbecue chicken. Both were excellent with generous portions and not expensive. I'll return for sure. Another excellent restaurant to add to the many great restaurants in CM. smile.png

I finally tried this place today, and I give this fine establishment my hearty endorsement. I had the BBQ chicken, red beans, and mac & cheese sides. The mac & cheese were OK, but not great. The chicken was slow cooked on the big kettle, and the chef paid careful attention throughout the cook, which took about 1/2 hour. The chicken was impressive, with three large and tender pieces, full size like in the States, not the usual anemic, tough, bantamweight chicken that one usually finds around here.

A most pleasant surprise was the red beans, full of smoked sausage slices. Really superbly done, New Orleans style. I grew up eating red beans and rice at least weekly, and these brought back memories. Next time I will order red beans and rice for the main dish. So good!

I'll be back, soon.

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to add to what I hope are the rave reviews for 3 Little Pigs. If you're at all familiar with Southern US cuisine, then you'll love the place. It's authentic and well-prepared, and the fellow running the place is a real character right out of a Harper Lee novel.

We had the ribs (superb, far better than Duke's or other places in CM) which came with a wide range of authentic sides while my son had a po' boy sandwich, also excellent. Service was good, price was very reasonable, portions were American. Highly recommended!

• Like 1

We have been here several times and its always a hit and a miss. Sometimes the ribs are good, other times like chewy leather.

Macaroni and cheese - avoid at all costs.

The "free" jalapeno muffins are very good.

Skip the "Mexican" items.... Mexican do not use black olives in any dish.

Very nice clean restrooms!

We have been here several times and its always a hit and a miss. Sometimes the ribs are good, other times like chewy leather.

Macaroni and cheese - avoid at all costs.

The "free" jalapeno muffins are very good.

Skip the "Mexican" items.... Mexican do not use black olives in any dish.

Very nice clean restrooms!

It is a California thing, (olives) very spanish Californio, Calif. tamles sometimes have black olives, have heard they are catching on south of the border also. .. Mex food evolves, rice, cheese, beef, wheat, all spanish intros, all now Mex. staples.

3 little pigs does great black bean tacos.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got to try 3LPs....I told the owner, he now has a customer for life! The gumbo was beyond delicious and it was all my wife and I could do to eat that and a pulled pork BBQ sandwich.  I was sad I didn't have room to try more. Next time I will try some tacos and do their breakfast some morning. Although...I think waiting until 10 for breakfast is a wee past my breakfast time, I will endure. I especially loved looking through the menu...it is like a history book from the past, especially if you're from down south, like I am. I can't believe I've been here for the past 9 years and have just now learned about this place....oh well, better late than never, eh? Now, if he'll just put chicken and dumplings on that menu! pg