Thailand - Land Of Smiles Or Tourist Trap?

webfact

Thailand - Land of smiles or tourist trap?

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Two Canadian sisters die mysteriously in their rented bungalow on an idyllic Thai island, believed poisoned. Less than week later, a 60-year-old Australian woman is stabbed to death in botched robbery outside a luxury resort in Phuket.

Their deaths are the latest in a tumult of violence and intrigue to shake tourism in postcard-perfect Thailand, raising questions over whether it is squandering a prized asset by failing to protect travelers arriving in record numbers.

Other headlines are less dramatic but equally troubling: taxi driver mafias, transvestite thieves, pollution, tourist brawls, traffic accidents, and at airports, radar glitches, flight delays and long immigration queues.

"The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) think numbers are going up so people must like it here, but the problem is the quality of their visit has gone down," said Larry Cunningham, Australia's Honorary Consul to Phuket, an island described by travel guide Lonely Planet as "one of the world's most famous dream destinations".

The government has vowed to tackle "mafias" in tourist areas, while in February, Cunningham appealed to Phuket's government to stop jet-ski operators who hire thugs and demand compensation for equipment damage renters did not cause.

Last year, a German television show broadcast footage of sewage pumped into the sea at popular Kata and Karon beaches. [more...]

Full story: http://www.cnbc.com/id/48278695

-- CNBC 2012-07-23

footer_n.gif

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree - the numbers are up but is the quality of holiday still there?

These young college kids seem to think all of their "Dreams can come true" in Soi Bangla Phuket.

Awesome filmclip promoting Soi Bangla and Phuket's crazy nightlife.

There is only one Thailand and with all its flaws and faults it will continue to draw tourists because no other Souteast Asian nation delivers so much "Culture Shock"in one punch. It's a heady mix compared to the stilted experiences on offer in Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia and Philippines. Seasoned travelers seem drawn back like moths to the flame...

You can't have the seeming chaos without some real danger... but for some this just adds to the experience.

I agree - the numbers are up but is the quality of holiday still there?

These young college kids seem to think all of their "Dreams can come true" in Soi Bangla Phuket.

Awesome filmclip promoting Soi Bangla and Phuket's crazy nightlife.

There is only one Thailand and with all its flaws and faults it will continue to draw tourists because no other Souteast Asian nation delivers so much "Culture Shock"in one punch. It's a heady mix compared to the stilted experiences on offer in Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia and Philippines. Seasoned travelers seem drawn back like moths to the flame...

You can't have the seeming chaos without some real danger... but for some this just adds to the experience.

I've seen more life in a used condom ... hardly any people about plus bars are empty like everywhere eles ..

Thailand-land of smiles----------------my answer is simply-mostly WAS

Tourist trap-------------------------------my answer usually IS.

How many times do the TAT need to be reminded of necessary changes have to be made --simply like TAKING CARE OF WHAT YOUR GETTING, you will not always have the CHINESE coming in droves.

As the old saying goes Sometimes it is better to be clueless about what is happening around you, than to know every bit of information that would kill you.wai.gif

• Like 1

It is impossible to have a money-generating tourist area with crime happening. Statistically I think it would be impossible to have zero murders in such a place, and that there are so few is actually a good sign. I mean, if you take a scale of crime, there must be some exceptions to the mean, and the mean here in Thailand is very safe compared to other areas with similar tourist population density. As Thailand "grows" into a larger tourist attraction, crime will grow too accordingly.

As for "the land of smiles", the obsequious smiles of the Thais is pleasing to people who want to feel gratified.

• Like 2

Yeah ok cute video, but really I could give a rats behind that some spoiled affluent kids might get there dreams to come true here.....most show up having paid no dues in life to teach them anything, what little they do know is usually some regurgitation of politically correct crap about social responsibility that their lefty college prof. has pounded into their mushy little heads.....they and the world they travel to would be better off if they were home washing dishes and digging ditches to unlearn all the years of crap their schooling has mis-educated them about before they venture overseas.....but hey, thats just me....always the romantic.

Sigh - what a completer bore you are.

Been everywhere, done everything, eh?

• Like 2

Thailand should rue the day when Chinese tourists dominate the market. Everyone else will get run over by open air tourist trams full of Chinese package tourists who only go to designated places. Western China's tourist hotspots are already like this and Australia's Gold Coast is not far behind.

• Like 2