Crackdown On Happy -- Only Unhappy Hours From Now On

WinnieTheKhwai

Happy hour has been outlawed in many parts of the US for decades now.

That is news to me. Please provide a source for that. I am still in US and have never seen a city that has made happy hour laws but there are a few, very few, with no drinking on Sundays.

I guess that may be true or might have been true. There didn't used to be any "bars" in Utah, just "clubs" where you brought your own bottle... But where I have a house in Santa Cruz California, there are lots of happy hours! Even taco and burrito happy hours to go with discounted beer and margaritas! Not to mention a lot of people have medical cannabis permits too...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you heard this from a man in a bar?

Are you asking Aardvark in response to his post, or me in response to the OP? The Crackdown on Happiness was mention in Chiang Mai Citylife and was also mentioned by someone at Olde Bell who attended the meeting.

Done a search in Citylife, can`t find it or maybe I`m looking in the wrong place?

What meeting and who mentioned it?

If this is official, why the cloak and dagger stuff?

Nevermind, if you are wary of quoting the source, I will make my own inquiries and confirm this later on.

True, many local governments have outlawed Happy Hour to reduce binge drinking, but it is still legal in most of the U.S. I believe the U.K. is considering similar rules for the same reason. Of course this isn't really relevant to a Chiang Mai forum.

THe CM governor is just worried that the local police is not able to reach their money targets. This makes it a bit easier to extort money, that's all. I would personally put a big poster on with the head of the CM governor who is inviting all early customers for a cheap drink.

• Like 1

Jee what happened to the land of smiles maybe bar owners should have doom and gloom hour. Move him to Chiang Mai treat him to a few free nights in that hotel where all the farangs have mysteriously died and maybe he will become a mystery also. Problem solved. coffee1.gif happy happy happy

True, many local governments have outlawed Happy Hour to reduce binge drinking, but it is still legal in most of the U.S. I believe the U.K. is considering similar rules for the same reason. Of course this isn't really relevant to a Chiang Mai forum.

The main problem is that happy hour is when people stop in after work for 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 drinks before continuing their drive home.

Some of the people they run over - or the surviving relatives - complain to the "nanny state".

• Like 1

I bet thats right, and a good reason not to live there also. Not so much the happy hour ban, its the micro management of the citizens personal life's in general as nanny states practice.

"nanny state" laws have unfortunately come into being due to the behaviour of some people who have no respect or regard for their fellow citiizens, as well as the lack of ownership for their actions. e.g. getting blind drunk, having an accident, then suing the bar for serving alcohol to them in the first place

How does the law get involved with the price that a vendor sets for the sale of his products at certain times of the day?

As long as the various outlets don't infringe legal restraints on times when beer can be served, I cannot see how they can possibly have any jurisdiction over the price at which the beer is sold.....!!??!!

They could run a "toss the boss" promo, you flip a coin either pay for the drink or get it free, or "spin the wheel" pay a fixed fee spin the wheel, you might win a chang, a shot or a cocktail....they just need to get a little inventive. It makes for a great afternoon at the pub as well.

Nearly sure this is due the the law about promoting alcohool that has been in effect in Thailand for some time.

Started out with the huge billboards like the one you have on highway going to airport, they were not supposed to be allowed to promote beer so they promoted "chang" water for example.

Also was aimed at very important and televised sport events...

Last year they started hitting the bars (biggrin.png) in Bangkok as well and some hotels.

Phuket this year: any image of any brand is not supposed to be displayed in the bar for example, beer name and price only.... Well know fact: if you see picture of a beer bottle, you want to drink, so owner is cheating on you by showing you that picture of that bottle that can not be resisted......

Happy hour, in the same spirit, (cheesy.gif ) is also indirectly promoting alcohol as you potentially are appealing to the weak side of the drinker...

Summary: same same but different, another law not very clear; each region translates it as they see fit and get opportunity to get new fines...

Some reading on the subject:

http://apapaonline.org/data/Marketing_Examples/Thailand/alcohol_advertising_malpractice.pdf

The main problem is that happy hour is when people stop in after work for 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 drinks before continuing their drive home.

Some of the people they run over - or the surviving relatives - complain to the "nanny state".

Keeping "some" sober, until they get home to take care of family or just make it home, could be a move in the right direction, some of us, just can't, have one, and getting 2 for 1 is the start of a shit-faced night, I see, said the blind man.

Keeping "some" sober, until they get home to take care of family or just make it home, could be a move in the right direction, some of us, just can't, have one, and getting 2 for 1 is the start of a shit-faced night, I see, said the blind man.

So because somebody may drink over the driving limit, the rest of us, who may get a taxi are not allowed to enjoy the promotional offers! Interesting! :)

I have a local bar here on K Samui that charges reasonable rates ..eg. chang/leo 50 bht..sing 60 bht and all other drinks at realistic prices...All day/night whenever open...he still makes 50% gross profit on the drinks(100% mark up) ...and is happy with this profit from a crowd of loyal regulars, no bar girls/ boys for rent as part of his business..all the amenities of an english pub with sun coming through the windows, oh and smoking allowed......

We all know we can buy a Large Leo or Chang for less than 50bht from a 7/11 ( sometimes nextdoor to a bar )..why do bar owners feel it is OK to charge 70 - 80bht to take the top off a small bottle and push across to you in a sponge sleeve.....or to charge 80- 100 bht for a measure of Sangsum from a large bottle (at least 15 measures ) that cost them approx 260 bht.??

Do away with Happy hour ..lets have Happy Day/ night.... ..oh the bar in question ... Oneway Bar ..run by graham

• Like 1

Bar owners agree with Governor to enforce laws strictly

Nopniwat Krailerg

The owners and managers of over 150 liquor stores, nightclubs, bars and karaoke bars met with Chiang Mai Governor M.L. Panadda Diskul in early July to sign an agreement to enforce certain regulations in their facilities including underage drinking, fire safety, and closing times.

Secretary of Chiang Mai Adisorn Kamnerdsiri, Muang District Chief Chaiyasith Rattana-Chaisit and the heads of four police stations as well as relevant departments also attended the meeting at the Muang District Office on July 3, 2012.

The District Chief signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the owners to enforce laws and regulations in 8 specific areas including underage drinking, underage servers, weapons, drugs, closing times, fire exits and fire safety, as well as to keep staff off the sidewalks from calling out to customers so as to maintain the cultural beauty of Chiang Mai.

The Governor noted that it is his responsibility to ensure that the laws are enforced and that the safety of the community is maintained. He said that the owners must be strict in the matter of drugs in their venues and that staff in bars must be over the age 20. He noted that it had been discovered students would hide their uniforms in their bags so as to go drinking so ID checks should be enforced. He also informed the bar owners that they must check for weapons as they endangered the lives of residents and tourists, noting that Chiang Mai did not want a repeat of the recent attacks in Phuket.

He also noted that they should heed their neighbors’ complaints about noise and closing times. There had been complaints in the moat area around Loi Kroh, on Chang Moi Road, JJ Market area, Santitham and Nimmanhaemin areas of noise and of drunken people disturbing the area with shouting and urinating in public.

He concluded that Chiang Mai is not like Pattaya or Phuket, that tourists come here for the beauty and history of Chiang Mai culture and nature and that the laws need to be strictly enforced.

Chiang Mai Mail me-top.gif