What Investment Options Available Internationally?

Browsing through this forum it is clear that many members hoping to move to Thailand are finding different investment options that would help them to make the maximum income from their available capital with the minimal risk. Unfortunately, as we all are not financial experts, would it not be helpful to pool our diverse knowledge in one place?

As it is mentioned many a time, third world countries are not the best place for your investment. Then, what are the options available in a more stable environment? For example AU,EU,HK,NZ,SG,USA etc. for a non resident/foreigner. (I am not referring to huge corporate investments).

1. Can a non resident open a bank account?

2. What are the interest rates and do they fluctuate often?

3. Is it possible to send in/out money without any restrictions?

4. Applicable taxes and fees?

5. Any other info that would be helpful.

Thank you.

Boy, in the USA you can buy just about anything. If you want to purchase a house or land, just do it. Get an agent, send them some money and you own it.

there are other countries where you can buy much more (e.g. a ticket to Cuba) and where there's no stupid IRS which puts its claws in your pockets and takes its share.

• Like 1

Boy, in the USA you can buy just about anything. If you want to purchase a house or land, just do it. Get an agent, send them some money and you own it.

there are other countries where you can buy much more (e.g. a ticket to Cuba) and where there's no stupid IRS which puts its claws in your pockets and takes its share.

yes there are many countries where limits on what foreigners can buy are few. However, how much of the "wild wild west" are you willing to tolerate? Closed door judicial systems? Non-elected leaders? Every place has corruption, but the USA, despite the taxation issues, really does give most people an awful lot of legal protection and recourse.

yes there are many countries where limits on what foreigners can buy are few. However, how much of the "wild wild west" are you willing to tolerate? Closed door judicial systems? Non-elected leaders? Every place has corruption, but the USA, despite the taxation issues, really does give most people an awful lot of legal protection and recourse.

gimme a break mate, i have lived 15 years as a retiree in the U.S. and know the various drills.

tell me where's the legal protection when the tax authority can freeze your bank accounts without a court of law sanctioning it and leaving you without any cash to pay a lawyer? i can list a dozen individual legal problems without fast recourse which one does not face anywhere in western Europe or in a straight asian jurisdiction e.g. Singapore.

Closed door judicial systems?

are you referring to the Patriot Act which allows certain federal authorities to arrest and hold even a U.S. citizen incommunicado for an unspecified period of time without any legal assistance or access to a court of law? not to mention the fact that this was possible and was done even before the Patriot Act invoking "national security".

google is your friend! inform yourself.

1. Can a non resident open a bank account? Yes

2. What are the interest rates and do they fluctuate often? 2-3%

3. Is it possible to send in/out money without any restrictions? in none......out sometimes a daily limit can't remember

4. Applicable taxes and fees? Taxes on your interest yes

5. Any other info that would be helpful.

• Like 1

and then the INS officer at the airport might tell you "owning a home is not a valid reason to enter the United States" even if you have a visa with a validity of 10 years.

Naam I would be interested to hear your opinion on term deposits in Vietnam. 11% is available for a 6 month term deposit. Obviously it would be in dong and you would be exposed to forex moves but for 6 months at 11% I think the forex risk is acceptable. What do you think?

Naam I would be interested to hear your opinion on term deposits in Vietnam. 11% is available for a 6 month term deposit. Obviously it would be in dong and you would be exposed to forex moves but for 6 months at 11% I think the forex risk is acceptable. What do you think?

i lack indepth information on Viet Nam's economy, inflation outlook as well as on its currency to have an opinion. shooting from the hip by looking at USD VND past six months i see fluctuation but no change. looking at the past year i see USD appreciating less than 2% vs Dong. five years however is a different animal; USD vs Dong stronger by a linear 6% per annum.

you might be lucky but the question is whether you can get USD at a favourable rate if you opt to get out of Dong.

i lack indepth information on Viet Nam's economy, inflation outlook as well as on its currency to have an opinion. shooting from the hip by looking at USD VND past six months i see fluctuation but no change. looking at the past year i see USD appreciating less than 2% vs Dong. five years however is a different animal; USD vs Dong stronger by a linear 6% per annum.

you might be lucky but the question is whether you can get USD at a favourable rate if you opt to get out of Dong.

Am I correct that as a private individual that there are restrictions on exchanging Dong to US$ and transfer out of Vietnam?

Am I correct that as a private individual that there are restrictions on exchanging Dong to US$ and transfer out of Vietnam?

There are a few option for exchanging currency in VN, the gold shops can usually do something for you. Also if you know some people there is always someone wanting to exchange US for dong to buy a house or motor bike etc. Getting it out of the country is another issue but can be delt with.

If you want exposure to SE Asian currencies then it is probably better to make that investment from outside the country if there is exchange control risk.

HSBC Asian High Yield Bond Fund is one way to go.

and then the INS officer at the airport might tell you "owning a home is not a valid reason to enter the United States" even if you have a visa with a validity of 10 years.

Getting into the USA has nothing to do with buying a property in the USA. Completely separate issues.

gimme a break mate, i have lived 15 years as a retiree in the U.S. and know the various drills.

tell me where's the legal protection when the tax authority can freeze your bank accounts without a court of law sanctioning it and leaving you without any cash to pay a lawyer? i can list a dozen individual legal problems without fast recourse which one does not face anywhere in western Europe or in a straight asian jurisdiction e.g. Singapore.

So you retired in the USA but seem to dislike it eh? Personal choices are allowed. You seem the argumentative type and of course their are cases where not the best things can happen. But it is transparent and a lot less at the whims of some less developed countries.

So you retired in the USA but seem to dislike it eh? Personal choices are allowed. You seem the argumentative type and of course their are cases where not the best things can happen. But it is transparent and a lot less at the whims of some less developed countries.

no, we did not dislike it! in fact we liked it very much and would still be living in the U.S. if there had been no paranoia directed at foreigners after the sept 11, 2001 incident.

we even preferred the rather fair U.S. tax system compared to the one of our home country Germany. we liked our American neighbours and we appreciated the existing infrastructure. the U.S. was indeed the "Land of the Free" compared to some countries in continental Europe where each and everthing is regulated. but that all changed when "The Right Honourable Bastard bin-Laden" decided to destroy the WTC.

and yes, i am commenting with facts when i see that someone posts nonsensical misinformation. if you call that "argumentative" so be it.

Thanks for the comments Naam

"but for 6 months at 11% I think the forex risk is acceptable." - but for a long investment period how stable/reliable is the banking system?

"but for 6 months at 11% I think the forex risk is acceptable." - but for a long investment period how stable/reliable is the banking system?

Ooooooooh! fancy that!

Great. Then go invest there.