Starbucks Thailand Tells Teachers "Order More Coffee Or Get Lost"

george

LOL! Just looking at the number of TV members whinning confrims what I thought for years.......most TV members are generally farangs with no money or from the lower strata back home and some if you look at their previous postings will claim to be well off individuals who either run internet based businesses or some "rich entrepreneur" upcountry married to a "thai chinese". LOL!

I personally do not like Starbucks as I am a non-coffee drinker due to health reasons. But I understand the business model that Satrbucks is based on and no one is forcing you to pay the price of the coffee that they sell. YOU HAVE A CHOICE. And if you cannot afford it, they are alternatives like cheaper places pr better tasting coffee venues or simply do not drink coffee.

As far as Starbucks policy with those tutors are concerned, I think that they are right plus also the Ministry should do something about real teachers trying to get more money by not having using public places and also unlicensed teachers conducting lessons in public. THEY ARE LICENSED TUTOR SCHOOLS AROUND. And people trying to profit at the expense of the public convenience should be penalised.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL! Just looking at the number of TV members whinning confrims what I thought for years.......most TV members are generally farangs with no money or from the lower strata back home and some if you look at their previous postings will claim to be well off individuals who either run internet based businesses or some "rich entrepreneur" upcountry married to a "thai chinese". LOL!

I personally do not like Starbucks as I am a non-coffee drinker due to health reasons. But I understand the business model that Satrbucks is based on and no one is forcing you to pay the price of the coffee that they sell. YOU HAVE A CHOICE. And if you cannot afford it, they are alternatives like cheaper places pr better tasting coffee venues or simply do not drink coffee.

As far as Starbucks policy with those tutors are concerned, I think that they are right plus also the Ministry should do something about real teachers trying to get more money by not having using public places and also unlicensed teachers conducting lessons in public. THEY ARE LICENSED TUTOR SCHOOLS AROUND. And people trying to profit at the expense of the public convenience should be penalised.

Are you OK? Please explain how this slagging post against TV members and Thai-Chinese is on-topic, relevant, or accurate. Thanks.

• Like 2

Please correct me if I am wrong but isnt Starbucks a private business and as such surely they can ask anyone to leave the premises at any time. It sounds to me as if the local managers are afraid to go up and politely ask someone to leave when they have finished. Another simple way would be to restrict free wi-fi by giving people say 30 minutes of free wi-fi when they make a purchase over XX baht. Given the huge number of real issues in Thailand I dont really see why the government, or for that matter Thai Visa, need to worry about it

Can we in turn write a letter to Starbucks asking them to stop serving overpriced garbage?

Absolutely, I'll write it! Don't forget the kind of corporate giant Starbucks is. They won't make me cry with their bucks lost... And if you guys can't find a seat, why not trying somewhere else and buy local? What about acting and stop moaning?! There are about a gazillion little coffee shops offering awesome local coffee for a third of the price, free wifi (at least in Chiangmai) and even sometimes a/c, or a lovely green garden.

Let's show these corporations that we can do without them, think global, act local.

• Like 1

I live in Bangkok and spend my time across the river near Krung Thonburi bts and along Silom and Langsuan. I would love to find a local Mom and Pop coffeeshop that doesn't load their coffee with sugar or condensed milk - any suggestions?

Without making a judgement about the value of Starbuck's coffee, I am amazed that every branch seems to be filled and with a majority of Thai customers - considering the average salary of a thai citizen and the cost of a coffee or specialty drink - I would think most would avoid - (and there is no free WIFI) .

Lastly, I must agree that if I stumble into any a/c coffeeshop between 3-7 - it is always packed with student groups studying or a tutor and his students. I definitely think that the government should provide more public areas (libraries, community centers) where these people could meet - but I don't think a commercial establishment should have to provide space for these activities.

• Like 1

Something, but more so the very word "Starbucks." It's always caused a knee-jerk reaction for many of the members. The reasons are

• it's American, appeals to the vast America-bashing crowd here;
  • it's global, anti-globalists hate it;
  • it's not Thai, anathema to our Thaier-than-thou farangs;
  • it's a chain;
  • it's a corporation;
  • it's relatively upscale for a mere coffee shop, many can't comfortably afford to go there;
  • Starbucks coffee tastes like Starbucks coffee--not what some think coffee should taste like, not that they would know anyway;
  • Starbucks isn't just about coffee but about the other products, service, and atmosphere--which many disingenuously ignore;
  • some need to cling to a kind of reverse snobbery for illusory self-affirmation.

Me, I go to various coffee shops, but, having no political objections, I go to Starbucks sometimes, too. I've never had an unsatisfactory experience there. Starbucks will continue to appeal to a large global market (if not the all-knowing, superior YOU, so what), and I hope it stays profitable so that it won't be going away anytime soon. This new policy intended to get the squatters out should be helpful.

+1 Well said! All excellent and very accurate observations !!

Disagree, ridiculous to say people knock off Starbucks because it's an American owned company. I go to a coffee shop for great coffee, not to a retail global marketing company selling an experience that is ultimately dull, but more importantly awful coffee. If you want an independent opinion go to http://www.smh.com.a...80729-3mt1.html

Spot on thumbsup.gif

It is overpriced and below average tasting coffee.

I totally agree. To assume everyone hates Starbucks because its American would be like assuming everyone hates the Chinese because of the poor quality of Apple products.whistling.gif

• Like 2

Can we in turn write a letter to Starbucks asking them to stop serving overpriced garbage?

Absolutely, I'll write it! Don't forget the kind of corporate giant Starbucks is. They won't make me cry with their bucks lost... And if you guys can't find a seat, why not trying somewhere else and buy local? What about acting and stop moaning?! There are about a gazillion little coffee shops offering awesome local coffee for a third of the price, free wifi (at least in Chiangmai) and even sometimes a/c, or a lovely green garden.

Let's show these corporations that we can do without them, think global, act local.

If you are not enamored of the product, seeking an alternative source is probably the best option. Starbucks will not survive commercially if its products are not popular, competitive, and the turnover is inadequate to generate a healthy profit. So-called "market forces" will determine that. I have no idea how successful SBX is, but my observation is that their outlets are well patronized, and on occasion, there is nowhere to sit at all. Fewer non-buyers occupying seats for extended periods will improve customer turnover and reduce the disappointment factor (the expectation that the place will be occupied by tutor groups, etc., which may discourage people from even visiting). A responsive business will adapt to customer concerns if it wishes to survive-- customer concerns, and to a lesser degree, squatter concerns. smile.png

Edited by Reasonableman
  • Like 1

From my experience it usually a bunch of kids studying on their own, with one drink between them. True Coffee opened up areas with big tables specifically for these groups. Maybe Thailand should get some librarys/study areas going.

I like to get my Starbucks to go anyways smile.png

They do have study areas in librarys but perhaps this is not cool for the hi so kids who like to be seen at starbucks, as for myself I think they are well over priced and I would not use them.coffee1.gif

LOL! Just looking at the number of TV members whinning confrims what I thought for years.......most TV members are generally farangs with no money or from the lower strata back home ...

A Thai forum I look at has almost unanimous support for Starbucks' new initiative, with plenty of Thais 'whinning' at never being able to sit down because of all the freeloaders.

From my experience it usually a bunch of kids studying on their own, with one drink between them. True Coffee opened up areas with big tables specifically for these groups. Maybe Thailand should get some librarys/study areas going.

I like to get my Starbucks to go anyways smile.png

They do have study areas in librarys but perhaps this is not cool for the hi so kids who like to be seen at starbucks, as for myself I think they are well over priced and I would not use them.coffee1.gif

Mostly I see fair skin Chinese look kids in Starbucks.

My conclusion is that coffee is not dark skin Thai's cup of tea.

They do the same in places like McDonalds also, buy an icecream cone and sit in the airconditioning for hours on end. I have even seen people taking a nap with a few french fries in front of them.

Perhaps Starbucks should ask these people if they have tried the new flavour " Far Coffee "

Perhaps Starbucks might suggest these folk join that Far Queue... outside. wink.png

Is this what you mean

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

• Like 2

They do the same in places like McDonalds also, buy an icecream cone and sit in the airconditioning for hours on end. I have even seen people taking a nap with a few french fries in front of them.

In Singapore, they (the student) invaded Changi airports.

http://www.asiaone.com/Travel/News/Story/A1Story20080924-89579.html

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sgseen/this_urban_jungle/626122/what_an_ugly_sight_students_treat_changi_airport_like_their_home.html

The yellow shirt PAD would be proud.

LOL! Just looking at the number of TV members whinning confrims what I thought for years.......most TV members are generally farangs with no money or from the lower strata back home ...

A Thai forum I look at has almost unanimous support for Starbucks' new initiative, with plenty of Thais 'whinning' at never being able to sit down because of all the freeloaders.

That's pretty funny seeing as though it's written in Thaiclap2.gif

Perhaps Starbucks should ask these people if they have tried the new flavour " Far Coffee "

Perhaps Starbucks might suggest these folk join that Far Queue... outside. wink.png

Is this what you mean

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Great,reminds me of my late teenage years outside the local dance halls.

Typical corporate belt-tightening measures to maintain profitability.

Good on Starbucks for attempting to get tough with freeloaders.

Implementation of this policy will be a whole different ballgame though.

The 'dek-serve' will be too shy/krieng-jai to ask the 'achan' to leave/order more (probably not an issue with the older staff/management), but fear of loss of face will prevent these measures from being fully implemented.

Hell, I'd pay 250 baht for an hour, just to watch the cheap-ass tutors get booted out (wishful thinking!)

What other language would you expect Thais to write in on their forums?whistling.gif

When I'm in USA I have to buy a cup of coffee to use the free wifi. If not, I am not a customer and somebody just freeloading. When I am in Thailand, I should not have to buy a cup of coffee if I am already paying for the wifi. If Starbucks wants people to buy coffee, then they can do exactly what the USA does and make the wifi free so people will have to buy the coffee. When I go into Starbucks and buy wifi, I am then a customer as I have spent money in Starbucks to use the Wifi.

A cup of coffee in USA Starbucks costs around $1.00. I'm paying three times that amount to use Starbucks wifi for a few hours in Thailand. So how about making the Wifi free so then the money I spend on the wifi can be transferred over into the coffee so all the whiners can see the coffee cup instead of the wifi card and feel that this makes me less of a freeloader.

When I'm in USA I have to buy a cup of coffee to use the free wifi. If not, I am not a customer and somebody just freeloading. When I am in Thailand, I should not have to buy a cup of coffee if I am already paying for the wifi. If Starbucks wants people to buy coffee, then they can do exactly what the USA does and make the wifi free so people will have to buy the coffee. When I go into Starbucks and buy wifi, I am then a customer as I have spent money in Starbucks to use the Wifi.

A cup of coffee in USA Starbucks costs around $1.00. I'm paying three times that amount to use Starbucks wifi for a few hours in Thailand. So how about making the Wifi free so then the money I spend on the wifi can be transferred over into the coffee so all the whiners can see the coffee cup instead of the wifi card and feel that this makes me less of a freeloader.

$1.00 for a coffee in the U.S, serious? Geez in Australia it is $5.00 we are being ripped off big time.

What other language would you expect Thais to write in on their forums?whistling.gif

I meant the notice. I thought that was pretty obvious.

A lot of unfounded assumptions which really don't hold water in the real world.

Remember that those multi-national companies largely employ local people (your neighbors). Secondly, your assumptions are exactly the opposite of my experience when comparing a 7-11 with a local mom & pop convenience store. The little guy has horrible, ignorant service and expired product (often you have to blow the dust off the product to find the expiration date, if any). The staff at 7-11 are always courteous and I can always find consistency in product quality.

Try again.

You're the definition of a 'TOOL', keep rationalizing your greedy capitalism for Quality Control. QC right?

You can't see the real world for your politics.

s

The REAL WORLD is being polluted, destroyed and overdeveloped by capitalist corporations. All I see is every democratic system in the REAL world today, NOT controlled by the people FOR the people but BY the corporations FOR the corporations. The NWCO is upon us amen...

There you go, folks. He "out-ed" himself. rolleyes.gif

Now we now what colors the lenses of his total world view. Take all future posts with a grain of salt (processed by a multi-national corporation, of course.)

"most TV members are generally farangs with no money or from the lower strata back home"

In my opinion that's a fairly abusive statement blink.png

Indeed. Which is why I pointed out to the writer of that comment that the Thais were equally annoyed at freeloaders in Starbucks as the 'farangs' that he/she was complaining about.

Come again?