Any Low Fee Funds In Thailand?

Any funds with decent returns and low fees here? Also ,i i remember someone mentioning a property fund in Thailand...? Any info welcomed..

I was just looking at my banks funds (HSBC singapore) and most charge up to 3 % one off fee for joining and then 1.2 %++ management fees annually- imagine handing over your cash and immediately losing 4% + to fees!

Edited by ExpatJ

if a fund is low fee, then it is less likely to be an active fund.

Sometimes for example banks offer a discount on new fund purchases.

The 4% up front commission effectively gets rolled up if you are investing for say the recommended minimum of 3 years.

Looking at your loss for 1 year not really the way to go.

You can of course purchase your own stocks and build your own portfolio.

The other option is to buy ETFs.

if a fund is low fee, then it is less likely to be an active fund.

Sometimes for example banks offer a discount on new fund purchases.

The 4% up front commission effectively gets rolled up if you are investing for say the recommended minimum of 3 years.

Looking at your loss for 1 year not really the way to go.

You can of course purchase your own stocks and build your own portfolio.

The other option is to buy ETFs.

In comparison most US based funds have total fees of @1.5 % per annum- which is ok....any funds close to that in the region, or Thailand?

Singapore is often poor for fees for mutual funds. Thailand is better value.

Check out Aberdeen's various funds which I consider generally reasonable on fees and good quality on performance.

eg Aberdeen Growth: No initial Fee, Annual Management Fee 1.5% and total annual expense ratio around 1.75%, back-end fee 1%. I've held well over a decade and in that time the annualised returns have been around 20% pa after all the fees. Worst year 2008 down 40%, best year 2003 up just over 100%. I wouldn't count on 20% per year going forward, but something 10%+ per year over longer term (5 years+) is not unrealistic, although the usual caveats on historic performance and no guarantees

http://www.aberdeen-asset.co.th/aam.nsf/thailand/fundinformationfactsheets

Also ING are reasonable:

http://www.ingfunds.co.th/EN/MutualFunds.asp

Where there are feeder funds to an overseas fund, they have mechanisms in place to ensure you do not get double charged on both the Thai end fund and the underlying overseas fund.

:)

Check out Aberdeen's various funds which I consider generally reasonable on fees and good quality on performance.

eg Aberdeen Growth: No initial Fee, Annual Management Fee 1.5% and total annual expense ratio around 1.75%, back-end fee 1%. I've held well over a decade and in that time the annualised returns have been around 20% pa after all the fees. Worst year 2008 down 40%, best year 2003 up just over 100%. I wouldn't count on 20% per year going forward, but something 10%+ per year over longer term (5 years+) is not unrealistic, although the usual caveats on historic performance and no guarantees

http://www.aberdeen-...ationfactsheets

Also ING are reasonable:

http://www.ingfunds....MutualFunds.asp

Where there are feeder funds to an overseas fund, they have mechanisms in place to ensure you do not get double charged on both the Thai end fund and the underlying overseas fund.

smile.png

fletchsmile I have been trying to get my head round whether it is better to invest in Thailand in baht or stay with £ in the UK for say something like their Thai or Asian New Dawn funds. I am not a thai tax payer so if I invest in Thailand I presume the only benefit would be as a currency hedge or are there other benefits I am missing?

Also ING are reasonable:

smile.png

fletchsmile I have been trying to get my head round whether it is better to invest in Thailand in baht or stay with £ in the UK for say something like their Thai or Asian New Dawn funds. I am not a thai tax payer so if I invest in Thailand I presume the only benefit would be as a currency hedge or are there other benefits I am missing?

A couple of points worth bearing in mind:

If you want to gain exposure to Thai equities, I would say the best fund managers are in Thailand. They are closest to and understand the markets best.

Secondly, the currency the fund it is denominated in is a bit of a red herring. That's to say if you have a GBP denominated Thai equity fund and a THB denominated Thai equity fund with the same investments they are both exposed to THB to a similar extent.

The THB fund invests in Thai equities. You could then sell the THB and buy GBP yourself.

The GBP fund just converts the Thai equities values into GBP equivalent using the market exchange rate at the particular point in time. So if you sold they give you GBP, which if you want you could then buy THB with. Aside from transaction fees and exchange rate diffs the amounts would be similar in both GBP and THB

For investing in Thai equities, I find it most convenient to do from Thailand, and the best fund managers are here.

:)

Also ING are reasonable:

smile.png

A couple of points worth bearing in mind:

If you want to gain exposure to Thai equities, I would say the best fund managers are in Thailand. They are closest to and understand the markets best.

Secondly, the currency the fund it is denominated in is a bit of a red herring. That's to say if you have a GBP denominated Thai equity fund and a THB denominated Thai equity fund with the same investments they are both exposed to THB to a similar extent.

The THB fund invests in Thai equities. You could then sell the THB and buy GBP yourself.

The GBP fund just converts the Thai equities values into GBP equivalent using the market exchange rate at the particular point in time. So if you sold they give you GBP, which if you want you could then buy THB with. Aside from transaction fees and exchange rate diffs the amounts would be similar in both GBP and THB

For investing in Thai equities, I find it most convenient to do from Thailand, and the best fund managers are here.

smile.png

Thanks for the reply. Having quickly checked the Aberdeen Thai site (I should have looked before!) I see they offer substantailly different fund types and completely agree with your last point.