• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Walker's the kings of crisps.

Cheese and Onion

Salt and Vinegar

Salt and Vinegar Walkers take some beating. My favourite 'crisps' are scampi fries and bacon frazzles which I found in Thonglor Tops once and since then never to be seen again sad.png

Just ate 3 bags of bacon frazzles yesterday aroi aroi

Walker's the kings of crisps.

Cheese and Onion

Salt and Vinegar

Salt and Vinegar Walkers take some beating. My favourite 'crisps' are scampi fries and bacon frazzles which I found in Thonglor Tops once and since then never to be seen again sad.png

Just ate 3 bags of bacon frazzles yesterday aroi aroi

Aroi, aroi indeed. So where did you buy such a delicacy?

oh god, if you are going to complain about something like this is simply must, MUST be that there are no tortilla chips to speak of here (yes i know you can probably find them somewhere for like 250 baht a bag, not interested). Anyway...... whistling.gif

Easy enough, buy tortillas and make your own chips:

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

I prefer popcorn made in, of all things, my microwave rice cooker.

Okay, spill. Where did you buy the microwave rice cooker? I can't imagine they'd be hard to find in Thailand of all places, but I seem to be looking in all the wrong shops...

central chidlom kitchenwares. About 6 years ago though.

its got a heavy cermaic bowl in it that keeps rice warm all day after its been cooked, pop out the ceramic bowl and throw in some corn and it pops popcorn. love it, best 400 baht i ever spent (not really)

The regular are not to be found in Phuket either. I have a friend that has a few mini marts, and she told me that her chip distributor claims that Lays only uses the best potatoes, which are in shortage now for the plain chips. The #2 potatoes are used for the flavored chips.

I love Kettle brand Salt and Vinegar.

i have heard this a number of times over the years -- generally put like there is a shortage in supply of adequate quality potatoes.

Lay's used to grow all of their potatoes for use in their Thailand crisps in Lamphun, don't know if they still do or not.

I rather like Lay's spicy lime crisps . . . wink.png

Btw, I used to find FRITOS (!!!!!) at Villa Market, but that was 10 + years ago. Haven't found them in Thailand for over a decade. sad.png

Edited by Microwave

Lay's used to grow all of their potatoes for use in their Thailand crisps in Lamphun, don't know if they still do or not.

I rather like Lay's spicy lime crisps . . . wink.png

Btw, I used to find FRITOS (!!!!!) at Villa Market, but that was 10 + years ago. Haven't found them in Thailand for over a decade. sad.png

they are still around upon occasion

and a new lays flavour i had the misfortune of trying "American Cheesey Paprika"

Paprika chips is hardly an american thing. German, yes, American no.

kettle sea salt and pepper.

lorenz are good, but something about them gives the impression they are 80 percent msg, the flavours are just too defined.

I prefer popcorn made in, of all things, my microwave rice cooker.

butter, parmesan, seasoning salt, onion salt, paprika, you name it. experiment. And you know exactly what you are eating

ha looking at my paprika chips now...tho i did like the red chili n swiss?...but deferred back to the good ole plain ones..will they cease in cm too?.....kettle chips s/p yep solid choice--esp with onion dip

The regular are not to be found in Phuket either. I have a friend that has a few mini marts, and she told me that her chip distributor claims that Lays only uses the best potatoes, which are in shortage now for the plain chips. The #2 potatoes are used for the flavored chips.

I love Kettle brand Salt and Vinegar.

Oh yeah, about ten years ago I sat in on a marketing review meeting for Pepsico or Frito Lay and they mentioned the potato problem in Thailand. Something about only one crop per year instead of two?

I also remember them using the word "extruded" a lot with reference to their other fine snack food products.

And I remember one of the international team opening a sample of Lay's plain chips, eating one, and then proclaiming, "That's a good chip!"

Edited by ricklev

oh god, if you are going to complain about something like this is simply must, MUST be that there are no tortilla chips to speak of here (yes i know you can probably find them somewhere for like 250 baht a bag, not interested). Anyway...... whistling.gif

Easy enough, buy tortillas and make your own chips:

Tortillas (good ones) aren't even prevalent here. I have made "chips" before from just cutting tortillas and putting them in a pan with some butter. I guess to really do this right you'd need to make your own tortillas. I miss Mexican food. Anyway, good luck with the lays.

salt and vinegar. could never figure out how this is not the most popular chip in Thailand, Salt and Sour : exactly what Thai's like.

For the brand mentioned in the op, for some reason all the locally made bbq chicken, crab, shrimp etc flavored ones all tastes very similar to me - middle of the road flavoring.

Americans cant make potato chips.

The best potato chips are made in Sweden.

OLW and Estrella, nothing, and I mean, nothing can come close to those brands.

Lay, Pringles etc, its all the same, just with added spice on top of it. No deep genuine taste.

Lay, Pringles etc, its all the same, just with added spice on top of it. No deep genuine taste.

ok, thats again that chunky thick potato chips without paprika flavor...

Edited by ddpffft

what flavors do OLW and Estrella come in, and where in BKK can they be bought?

they can't but just like Mexican food and pizza and burgers, they are not available in Thailand either according to the bored (aka board) experts so dont feel bad. ;)

Life is pretty good is all you have to complain about is a lack of a certain type of potato chip

As the saying goes "there is more to life than potato chips"

Chips is not important? Dude, you are clueless.

• Like 1

ok, thats again that chunky thick potato chips without paprika flavor...

OLW and Estrella? Nope, not at all...

Try Kettle or Tim’s Cascade, and you’ll change your mind.licklips.gif

Try Kettle or Tim’s Cascade, and you’ll change your mind.licklips.gif

Kettle is good, very different indeed, and genuine.

But still, OLW and Estrella, are the best brands.

If you like lard, Estrella is ok. For real chips however you have to go to Finland, buy the Taffel brand. Enough salt to cause instant blocking of veins, most excellent. Although the company is in Åland, which many Finns not living there think is actually a part of Sweden biggrin.png

EDIT: And apparently the company's been sold to Norwegians without my noticing it. Oh well.

Here's trivia from Wikipedia: "Four kilograms of potatoes are needed to produce one kilogram of Taffel chips."

Edited by DrTuner