Asanha Bucha Day - Do You Know What Is It?

Johnniey

I agree with streetcowboy on that one, without superstitious faith, the world would have much less remarkable art and buildings.

possibly and probably more advanced.

I think you'll find that a lot of our great inventors and scientists started off in church schools.

Out of interest, are there any societies that started out atheist, rather than giving up on deification late in their development?

Presumably, if religion is a hindrance to development, such godless societies would have overtaken their more pious and ecclesiastical neighbours.

I can't think of any such society, but then I'm not an expert anthropologist. Perhaps our kerryk could shed some light on this, when he comes back off his holiday - or when he sees the light and is born again, like the Dalai Llama

SC

Well, apart from our own society (British), I can't think of many more, but am sure there are a few. Those Celts and Picts and the rest of them didn't believe in much more than you could take or kill.......................thumbsup.gif

Yes, our religious beliefs are based on atheism, or rather believing in Gods that are not the ones that some believe in today. wai.gif

I think you'll find that our society owes more to the Romans and their pantheon of dieties, and to palestinian monotheism, than to any celtic shamanism. Assuming, for a moment, that the britons were atheists, it didn't seem to stand them well in the face of competition with the Roman pantheists, or subsequently the anglo-saxon and norse pantheists, cultures which seemed able to dominate the britons militarily, economically, culturally and socially.

SC

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two guys from different countries with the same religion and the same God end up at war. Who's side is God on ?

I'm not sure God takes sides. When my children are fighting, I generally try to avoid taking sides. I suppose it depends on your own understanding of God.

SC

• Like 1

It was the buddha 1st sermon to his disciples and marks the begining of the buddhist lent. Monks reside in the monastery for the 3 month buddhist retreat to study and meditate and young men temporarily become monks. As for the Western world religion is all about getting gifts in todays society Easter Bunnie bring s the Chocolate and the Cristmas Santa Clause brings the i pod, x box and any other expensive brand name that is the world we live in and here on Samui I note that each Christmas even the Thai children now expect pressies !!!!!!!! I celebrate none because the true meaning is long gone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two guys from different countries with the same religion and the same God end up at war. Who's side is God on ?

That's easy- the winner's.

Always had this mental image of this God getting a bit p-ss-d off with all the rockets and crap flying through his TV room while he's trying to get a days restwhistling.gif

It was the buddha 1st sermon to his disciples and marks the begining of the buddhist lent. Monks reside in the monastery for the 3 month buddhist retreat to study and meditate and young men temporarily become monks. As for the Western world religion is all about getting gifts in todays society Easter Bunnie bring s the Chocolate and the Cristmas Santa Clause brings the i pod, x box and any other expensive brand name that is the world we live in and here on Samui I note that each Christmas even the Thai children now expect pressies !!!!!!!! I celebrate none because the true meaning is long gone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you being a kopite propaly rever the dalgliesh prophecy,but that only gets you the sack.

Well, apart from our own society (British), I can't think of many more, but am sure there are a few. Those Celts and Picts and the rest of them didn't believe in much more than you could take or kill.......................thumbsup.gif

Yes, our religious beliefs are based on atheism, or rather believing in Gods that are not the ones that some believe in today. wai.gif

I think you'll find that our society owes more to the Romans and their pantheon of dieties, and to palestinian monotheism, than to any celtic shamanism. Assuming, for a moment, that the britons were atheists, it didn't seem to stand them well in the face of competition with the Roman pantheists, or subsequently the anglo-saxon and norse pantheists, cultures which seemed able to dominate the britons militarily, economically, culturally and socially.

SC

Certainly aren't saying that the Romans didn't bring their version of worship to the shores and improve what we know today as society, but I thought the question was about origins and not what visitors brought?

SC

Certainly aren't saying that the Romans didn't bring their version of worship to the shores and improve what we know today as society, but I thought the question was about origins and not what visitors brought?

I think celtic society was pretty much absorbed without trace or displaced by the incomers. I think society is more related to the people than the place, and current British society owes very little to the celts of two thousand years ago. Instead, our culture is based on the pantheistic Greek and Roman cultures (and whatever they derived from) and from the monotheistic religions of the Middle East

SC

SC

I think celtic society was pretty much absorbed without trace or displaced by the incomers. I think society is more related to the people than the place, and current British society owes very little to the celts of two thousand years ago. Instead, our culture is based on the pantheistic Greek and Roman cultures (and whatever they derived from) and from the monotheistic religions of the Middle East

SC

Wow! Glad I was told I was just a protestant...............biggrin.png

BTW, the above is a joke; this is not a springboard for another religious war............wai.gif

Exactly...this is why I cant understand what the OP is on about

Probably just being sanctimonious.wink.png

No I wasn't. Just wanting to know how many people knew what this day was. Only one poster actually answered.

Simple question - Village farang - how long have you lived in Thailand ? did you know what this day celebrated ? Ask your wife or girlfriend if she knows. IF you have kids that are Buddhist, shouldn't you be responsible for teaching them the significance of Buddha days.

Although I'm not a Buddhist, I took my family to the temple last night. I'd feel stupid if I didn't know why I was taking them there.

Edited by Johnniey

I dont see why its important at all to know. I dont know what Easter means because for me its all claptrap and therefore irrelevant.

Easter means chocolate eggs and a long weekend off work. As for Asanha Bucha Day, I guess its the same thing just without the eggs!

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

I find it incredible how many Westerns dont know the real significance of the 25th of December

If man/woman kind was wiped out tomorrow.............what would be the significance?? NONE

I dont see why its important at all to know. I dont know what Easter means because for me its all claptrap and therefore irrelevant.

Easter means chocolate eggs and a long weekend off work. As for Asanha Bucha Day, I guess its the same thing just without the eggs!

I find it incredible how many Westerns dont know the real significance of the 25th of December

If man/woman kind was wiped out tomorrow.............what would be the significance?? NONE

it would make a big difference to me

I'm not sure God takes sides. When my children are fighting, I generally try to avoid taking sides. I suppose it depends on your own understanding of God.

SC

"I suppose it depends on your own understanding of God" this says everything wrong with religion. So many different interpretations of every religion causing fighting amongst the religion and breeding fanatics.

It always amazes me how Jesus was born on Christmas Day. Now there's a coincidence!

Even more amazing a virgin birth...............some would say ridiculous???

No I wasn't. Just wanting to know how many people knew what this day was. Only one poster actually answered.

Simple question - Village farang - how long have you lived in Thailand ? did you know what this day celebrated ? Ask your wife or girlfriend if she knows. IF you have kids that are Buddhist, shouldn't you be responsible for teaching them the significance of Buddha days.

Although I'm not a Buddhist, I took my family to the temple last night. I'd feel stupid if I didn't know why I was taking them there.

The main reason is BIG FACE from what I see

Okay, I have lived in Thailand for more than 35 years. Yes, I know what yesterday was and what today is. The wife knows too. No kids and no interest in the little creatures.

Personally I have no use for gods or religion, either, and would never be so vain as to think I could cajole one into doing my bidding, nor will I be subservient to one. I am solely responsible for my own actions. I have no need for moral or emotional crutches. Just saying.

I guess I am glad you don’t feel stupid but can’t help but feel you are trying to make yourself look better at the expense of others with this topic. Sorry, that is just the way it comes off, though it may or may not have been the intent. I have a few suggestions what you could be working on for Lent.

• Like 2

you being a kopite propaly rever the dalgliesh prophecy,but that only gets you the sack.

Can you repeat that in Queens English or is it just bad spelling !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Okay, I have lived in Thailand for more than 35 years. Yes, I know what yesterday was and what today is. The wife knows too. No kids and no interest in the little creatures.

Personally I have no use for gods or religion, either, and would never be so vain as to think I could cajole one into doing my bidding, nor will I be subservient to one. I am solely responsible for my own actions. I have no need for moral or emotional crutches. Just saying.

I guess I am glad you dont feel stupid but cant help but feel you are trying to make yourself look better at the expense of others with this topic. Sorry, that is just the way it comes off, though it may or may not have been the intent. I have a few suggestions what you could be working on for Lent.

I would like you to tell me please. Actually i have gone all day without a cigarette , using this lent as an opportunity to quit, along with the death of a friend from cancer this week.

Believe me , i know what my character defect s are and I take a regular inventory. I am far from perfect.

I honestly would welcome your suggestions .

btw all that stuff about no need for gods etc comes across as rather arrogant or sanctamonious, although probably not intended .

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by Johnniey

Well I didn't know, but have been to the Wat with the wife and kids. Got sprinkled with water and got sore knees. Happens every year and I just go with the flow.

This year it will cost me a bit more, must have been a bad man, as wife tells me we are going to buy a concrete pole, 5000 Baht for the new building at the Wat.

All the blessings must have worked, as I am still around and it keeps the wife happy. Jim

5000 baht, the temple is lucky if I give them 50 baht. If it keeps your buddhist wife happy fair enough however I always think how much I would donate to my own faith and that would be nothing.

I always think any money given to the temple is obscene, all they do is build a more shiny temple, its nothing more than a business.

I think its quite nice to have physical reminders that there is more to life than personal gratification and our immediate temporal challenges. If people need a big shiny building like St Paul's Cathedral or the Parthenon to remind them of this, then maybe its money well-spent. I imagine that Paris might be a poorer tourist destination without Notre Dame, and so forth.

SC

Comparing a small wat every couple of km's with Notre Dame or Saint Pauls is stretching comparisons.

I too think the money could be better spent by improving the lives of poor school kids or the disabled or the mentally ill etc but I guess for some reason others feel the need to put the donations into concrete.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

The only thing more ridiculous was Yingluck becoming PM

Id say that was pretty predictable, I didnt say it was good for Thailand though

The only thing more ridiculous was Yingluck becoming PM

Id say that was pretty predictable, I didnt say it was good for Thailand though

I was going to report this to the moderator for removal or closure, but then I worried about the possibility that the mod might not have a sense of humour...

So I reproduce the complaint below in preference

(These posts are) An attempt to derail the topic

Can I suggest either to close the thread, or move it to the news and futile bickering politics forum

- its not futile

- yes it is

- no it isn't

- is

- isn't

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

And another thing ...

Wandering perilously close to topic, I wonder how many of our fellows are aware that Monday is Nuzul Al Quran, the celebration of the anniversary of the promulgation of the holy Koran?

Its unfortunate that its not Tuesday, as I'd quite like to watch the St Helens - Warrington game, but its a Monday night 8 pm kick-off (2 am Tuesday Thai time), which is a bit late for a school night

SC