Cat Cdma

lungpeter

CDMA might be extended for 2 months until end of October.

I visited the CAT office in Phuket today and they said that it's not 100% sure, but they might be extending CDMA as it is now for 2 more months.

I left my phone number and they said to call me when they know for sure.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

I went to the local CAT office about ten days ago and switched from CDMA to My by CAT. The monthly fee went down from 790 to 590/ month, but I had to buy a new dongle (2,000 baht), and they throttle the speed after 4 GB. And I when I say throttle, I mean strangle: I'm flucuating at around 25 to 45 kBs/S. I might as well be using a dial up connection.

Is there another ISP that doesn't have a usage cap? I'd gladly pay more to have unlimited usage.

I went to the local CAT office about ten days ago and switched from CDMA to My by CAT. The monthly fee went down from 790 to 590/ month, but I had to buy a new dongle (2,000 baht), and they throttle the speed after 4 GB. And I when I say throttle, I mean strangle: I'm flucuating at around 25 to 45 kBs/S. I might as well be using a dial up connection.

Is there another ISP that doesn't have a usage cap? I'd gladly pay more to have unlimited usage.

I used CAT CDMA for years and it was a roller coaster ride, when my CAT CDMA USB non SIM modem finally stopped working , the CAT office would not let me buy another CDMA modem , as the service was ending .

So I decided to sign up for their '' my '' CAT 3G unlimited package , in the very beginning I was happy with the increased download speeds , compared to my previous CAT CDMA speeds.

Then the 4GB throttling hit home , and yes like your self once throttled I get around 25 to 45 kBs/S .

like many people the only option for an internet connection is via a 3G wireless signal , I seen comments saying that a 3G wireless signal is not really meant for long term daily use, but that's ok to say when you have other options including fixed line available, which many people don't have access to.

Ive not yet found another 3G ISP that does not throttle in some way .sad.png

like many people the only option for an internet connection is via a 3G wireless signal ,

Did you look into the TOT Wi-NET or AIS AirNET service? They can throw the receiver up on a very, very tall mast - I've seen 20+ m, and this service is more akin to fixed-line broadband in speed, price - without caps.

like many people the only option for an internet connection is via a 3G wireless signal ,

Did you look into the TOT Wi-NET or AIS AirNET service? They can throw the receiver up on a very, very tall mast - I've seen 20+ m, and this service is more akin to fixed-line broadband in speed, price - without caps.

Thanks for that , I had forgotton about these , I'm going to check both out for my area and will report back thumbsup.gif

I just checked the AIS Airnet coverage area on here

http://www.ais.co.th...area_check.html

and according to that my area is not currently covered, but I'm going to check at an AIS shop next time I'm there .

I guess I wouldn't rely on the published maps being up to date at all times. And at least one poster did mention that they had to band together with three other subscribers to get the TOT Wi-NET antenna mounted on the tower - so I assumed that each transceiver can accommodate up to four subscribers, and maybe they mount these on each of the four "corners" or sides of the tower at maximum heights?

I just checked the AIS Airnet coverage area on here

http://www.ais.co.th...area_check.html

and according to that my area is not currently covered, but I'm going to check at an AIS shop next time I'm there .

I guess I wouldn't rely on the published maps being up to date at all times. And at least one poster did mention that they had to band together with three other subscribers to get the TOT Wi-NET antenna mounted on the tower - so I assumed that each transceiver can accommodate up to four subscribers, and maybe they mount these on each of the four "corners" or sides of the tower at maximum heights?

Thanks for the info, the banding together of TOT Wi-NET subscribers could be a problem in my area, its some thing I'm going to have to check out .

• 2 weeks later...

Well Ive checked out the TOT Wi-Net situation at my local TOT office , it seems that in my area there's been a steady flow over the last few month's of people inquiring about the Wi-Net service , after providing the TOT manager with my exact location , he confirmed that a near by factory was using Wi-Net , so I should be able to use Wi-Net .

A TOT engineer has to call at my house to check the signal , and if ok , I will be able to sign up for Wi-Net , the approximate installation cost was quoted as 2,600 Baht . The TOT manager said that It would be a 6 - 8 weeks wait for an engineer to call at my house to check if there's a Wi-Net signal .

I will update this post when the TOT engineer has been whistling.gif

Like a few of you guys here, I used the CAT dongle and was always very happy with the reception....

I switched to True 3G H wifi dongle, the speed from the start was never as good as CAT and then it slowed down to a snails pace after about two weeks... At first I though maybe my location... but after going to the local True shop, was told the limit was 5 mb per month.... not "unlimited" as I had assumed... blink.png

The True is more per month than CAT for very limited service... I was told there was no other option... (True staff seem to be the most clueless of any store I ever dealt with in Thailand , at least on Samui and I am not sure if packages vary in different areas....but be sure to ask.... )

Anyway I cancelled the True service sad.png and now have 3BB... land line with wifi ... speed so fast I can hardly stand it! thumbsup.gif (I just hope it stays that way! )

I have a True Wifi dongle available to sell if anyone interested PM me!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else having a problem accessing certain websites with CAT CDMA service over the last 3-4 days or so? Some websites will just not load. But I will switch over to My by Cat 3g and the same sites load fine on a refresh. This includes even gmail. Maybe I will test on another laptop, but I think my end is fine.

It's like the CDMA stalls for some reason. I tried resetting the modem several times.

Anyone else having a problem accessing certain websites with CAT CDMA service over the last 3-4 days or so? Some websites will just not load. But I will switch over to My by Cat 3g and the same sites load fine on a refresh. This includes even gmail. Maybe I will test on another laptop, but I think my end is fine.

It's like the CDMA stalls for some reason. I tried resetting the modem several times.

Found out one of the towers is not functioning properly. But they are aware now and are working on it.

But it looks like according to CAT, it will be until October 2013 before CDMA is pulled indefinitely. Looks like if you write an email about CDMA internet service, they will reply back with an answer:

Remarks: CAT planned to shutdown CDMA network earlier than the end of this year. The CATCDMA customer can migrate to our new network "My" which we believe has better in quality the speed and internet connection. If you do so before the end of October 2012, we offer special options for our CAT CDMAcustomers (choose either one of the followings.)

1. get the current package until the end of October 2013 or

2. buy devices with special price from CAT.

Please contact CAT shop in your area if you want to migrate to "My"network. (CAT will inform about this issue by mail or sending SMS again.)

Found out one of the towers is not functioning properly. But they are aware now and are working on it.

But it looks like according to CAT, it will be until October 2013 before CDMA is pulled indefinitely. Looks like if you write an email about CDMA internet service, they will reply back with an answer:

Remarks: CAT planned to shutdown CDMA network earlier than the end of this year. The CATCDMA customer can migrate to our new network "My" which we believe has better in quality the speed and internet connection. If you do so before the end of October 2012, we offer special options for our CAT CDMAcustomers (choose either one of the followings.)

1. get the current package until the end of October 2013 or

2. buy devices with special price from CAT.

Please contact CAT shop in your area if you want to migrate to "My"network. (CAT will inform about this issue by mail or sending SMS again.)

Suggest that may be a typo (2013), given the preamble (mentioning 2012).

Edited by lomatopo

I live on Samui and have been told the same although the 1st time they told me august and then it was extended until the end of October My friend then signed up with True and was later to find out that there was a usage limit per month after 5 days his internet was so slow he nearly through his laptop out the window he was to find out he had used his monthly limit in 5 days and for the rest of the month it would be at a snails pace. I wont repeat what he said to the true visions staff what I can say he is no longer with them !!!!!!!!!

I live on Samui and have been told the same although the 1st time they told me august and then it was extended until the end of October My friend then signed up with True and was later to find out that there was a usage limit per month after 5 days his internet was so slow he nearly through his laptop out the window he was to find out he had used his monthly limit in 5 days and for the rest of the month it would be at a snails pace. I wont repeat what he said to the true visions staff what I can say he is no longer with them !!!!!!!!!

I am sure that there's going to be many who like my self have no other option for an internet connection in their location , other than 3G and sign up for 3G packages . I did read the terms and conditions of the CAT 3G '' my'' unlimited package and saw the 4G throttling warning . The reality soon strikes home once you exceed the 4GB limit , on paper the capping small print seems easily accepted , I am sure its going to be a shock to other new 3G package users as well, once the strangulation takes hold of their internet connection .

catx1.gif

You can have the best of both worlds if you are willing to pay for it. I have the post paid My Cat Click on my home computer. When my 3G allowance is used up I tether my phone to the computer and use the Truemove-H whenever I need high speed downloads. The My Cat Click is 590 baht per month and the 5 GB Truemove-H is 899 per month. No way could I use 5GB just for the phone so it works out pretty good for me.

I should add that the throttled back My Cat Click is fine for normal surfing but downloads are quite slow as compared to 3G. The Truemove-H unlimited is BS. It is not the same as Cat. When you have used your 3G allowance, it will eat your credit and when the credit is used up it just stops. There is NO free WiFi available in most places.

• 2 months later...

Does not really matter. In any case it's practically the end of service.

I'm totally confused about CAT's move from CDMA to 3G due to a letter sent out to CDMA customers this month (Dec 2012) informing on 31st Dec all subscribers will be automatically 'upgraded' to one of the new services, want it or not, unless you cancel in advance (?) After calls to the call centre, a visit to my local CAT office, I still haven't been given a clear answer as to what will happen if I do nothing. (I don't want to buy a new modem or enter a new contract right now as I'm hoping to get a landline from TOT in a few weeks time) On one hand I was told if I do nothing I will still get CDMA, but it will be expensive (?) Then another member of staff said it would be charged by the second (?) Another said nothing would change either service or pricewise for the time being (?) Yet another said if I do nothing I'll have no signal after 31st Dec.

Does anyone know the correct answer?

Edited by Jezz

I think that if you continue to use the CDMA service, what they are likely calling an upgrade will be a charge of one baht per minute. They can't change you to 3G unless you buy a new modem. They did give me a free CAT 3G SIM card but the 10,000 baht modem (CCU 680) that I bought for CDMA is now useless. TIT !

I think that if you continue to use the CDMA service, what they are likely calling an upgrade will be a charge of one baht per minute.

If so, I wonder how they can administer that? How would they calculate minutes used from an unlimited time plan? Or maybe it's obvious, but I'm not IT savvy.

Does not really matter. In any case it's practically the end of service.

I'm totally confused about CAT's move from CDMA to 3G due to a letter sent out to CDMA customers this month (Dec 2012) informing on 31st Dec all subscribers will be automatically 'upgraded' to one of the new services, want it or not, unless you cancel in advance (?) After calls to the call centre, a visit to my local CAT office, I still haven't been given a clear answer as to what will happen if I do nothing. (I don't want to buy a new modem or enter a new contract right now as I'm hoping to get a landline from TOT in a few weeks time) On one hand I was told if I do nothing I will still get CDMA, but it will be expensive (?) Then another member of staff said it would be charged by the second (?) Another said nothing would change either service or pricewise for the time being (?) Yet another said if I do nothing I'll have no signal after 31st Dec.

Does anyone know the correct answer?

I am with Cat CDMA as well. We also received a letter last week re the change to 1baht per minute after December the 31st.

We went to our local Cat office and bought a new modem for 2500 baht and went on to the 3G plan at a cost of 590 baht per month with a 4Gb limit. After you reach 4GB. of downloads they slow you down to 384 KBPS.

Catcom said the modem is plug and play but as we had a wireless router we would need someone to set it up for us. We called a technician out and he took 3 hours to get it all going.

4GB. is a very small download limit as prior to this we had unlimited downloads. I assume that in the future Catcom may come out with some better plans and give their customers more choice.

As a side note the letter clearly stated(in Thai) that we could go on to a 590 baht per month plan. The guy at Catcom kept insisting that we had to take the 750 baht per month plan which still gave us only 4GB. of downloads at the 3G speed.

We had to insist on the 590 baht per month plan. So something to be careful of if you go to your local Catcom office.

Service is working ok but does often disconnect by itself which is a pain and the speeds are really only slightly better than CDMA evdo was. I am however 15 kms. out of the city which probably is the reason for the average speed.

I think that if you continue to use the CDMA service, what they are likely calling an upgrade will be a charge of one baht per minute.

If so, I wonder how they can administer that? How would they calculate minutes used from an unlimited time plan? Or maybe it's obvious, but I'm not IT savvy.

The CDMA modem keeps track of minutes and since the old unlimited plan is post paid, I would guess they will simply bill you for the minutes you are online. I was irritated that my old modem is useless and that I had to buy a new air card, (dongle), but I am quite satisfied with with the 3G speed and even after the 4 GB is used up, the unlimited speed is nearly as good as my CDMA speed was. I do have the 590 baht per month - My Click plan.

^

If you are using the Internet to stream tv 9 gb still is not gonna last you the whole month maybe 2 weeks if your lucky

Not even close...

A halfway decent standard definition video stream (480p) eats around 1 mbps, or almost half a GB per hour!

So 9 GB is going to.give you 4.5 hours of tv!

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

I have found that 3G speeds drastically changed the way I use the Internet. My old CDMA download speeds were actually quite slow and many months I didn't use over a GB of download. I have found that now my CAT 4 GB lasts about 10 days. I have changed my phone to Truemove-H and when I need a fast download I tether my phone to my computer. I would never use 4 GB of download with the phone so it works out better but a little expensive. I still have to keep my old Nokia handy because out here in the boonies, Truemove-H has no 2G or 3G signal in many places even with roaming turned on. AIS 2G has a full 5 bars in those areas.

The CDMA modem keeps track of minutes and since the old unlimited plan is post paid, I would guess they will simply bill you for the minutes you are online.

Thanks, Gary. You may well be right about the 1baht per min. This is mentioned in the letter they sent, but it doesn't make it clear if that charge would apply to continued use of CDMA modem. If you or anyone gets more info I'd really appreciate learning of it. That charge renders the use of the old modem impossible by sheer cost - which I guess suits CAT!