How To Stop Free Roaming Cats From Killing Pondfish, Birds, Squirrels Etc.In My Garden.

yermanee

I don’t want to kill, maim or hurt any animal but my patience is wearing thin.

Waterpitols etc. have limited success initially, but it just keeps the cats away in daytime, or when I or my wife are active in the garden.

I have lost thousands of bath worth of pond fish, except for that I like my fish and spent a lot of effort (pumps, filters, cleaning, replanting etc) on them. Just this morning I found one of my favorite fish writting in it’s death struggle with a big gash in its side.

I used to have a lot of birds nesting in my garden trees and shrubs and even had a family of squirrels nesting in my ruen Thai.

All gone !!!!!!!

Please no inhumane suggestions.

Thanks beforehand.

Yermanee

It was a joke!!

have you tried putting a net over the pond ,its the only answer.

As I said my patience is wearing thin. Sorry.

I have considered a net but found it to distract from the natural outlook I wanted to achieve.

At first there was no problem with cats for many years, until 6 months ago a family moved in across the street with 6 cats.

The family is gone but the cats were left behind to fend for themselves which they do.

Anyway, now because of all the plants growing in and out of the pond it's impossible to aesthetically apply a net that would effectively close off entrance for a cat.

Thanks for the suggestion though

Yermanee

Edited by yermanee

We have the same problem, big pond full of coy also nesting baby Lapwings, and Oriental Magpie Robins and Baby Bull Bulls, we have a 2.5 meter wall all round the garden but still one black cat can get over the wall, Our own eight domestic cats stay in large cages and only go out under supervision so they are not a problem.

I have thought of trying motion sensor alarms close by the pond on the route he uses, dunno if that would work or he would get used to the noise they make.

We have also chased him with water pistols.

We have the same problem, big pond full of coy also nesting baby Lapwings, and Oriental Magpie Robins and Baby Bull Bulls, we have a 2.5 meter wall all round the garden but still one black cat can get over the wall, Our own eight domestic cats stay in large cages and only go out under supervision so they are not a problem.

I have thought of trying motion sensor alarms close by the pond on the route he uses, dunno if that would work or he would get used to the noise they make.

We have also chased him with water pistols.

So it's true, black cats are bad luck biggrin.png

I have not considered motion sensors (lights only), will give it consideration.

I was also contemplating putting a low voltage electric wire on the wall, but am afraid that would be harmful

to birds and would keep away the squirrels also. It was a beautiful sight late afternoons when many birds came to take a bath in a shallow part of the pond, but they also seem to have gotten the message.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Yermaneewai.gif

The low voltage wire idea might be the way to go, low voltage cow transformers are around 1000 baht and can power a perimeter of around four rai. Have seen birds sitting on those wires so I guess for it to work they need one foot on the ground.

I have heard of people using slug pellets, they give off a smell that cats don't like, not sure how effective?

Extreme cruelty to the birds that then eat the poisoned slugs, sounds to me like Yermanee is an extreme buddhist and therefore the solution is to do nothing and accept fate.

True the netting can take away from the look you are trying to achieve

There is a shop on sukontasawat road across from the chok chai school who sell a near invisible netting ,more like a spiders web ,I purchased some recently for my fish ,I don't have a cat problem but my fish tend to jump out

Steve

OK, there are 2 answers I know of:

a) get your own cat, a territorial male would be best

B) start pee-ing on your own boundary fences

There are problems associated with both. You are not going to find a "silver bullet" here, this is an age old problem. This means that people have been trying to solve it for an age too!

this one sounds now really weird... but...

i had a wild cat, and he was completely afraid of a blanket with a leopard pattern...

it was "naturally" sized pattern...

he wouldnt come close to it / run away, when i was going to move it..

and this cat had definitely never seen a leopard...

i would give it a try, and put stickers in/next to the pond, with such a pattern...

maybe some "tiger" in between...

if you do, please update here... would like to know...

or a motion activated tiger-roaring...? my, if someone could test what the cats do then...

Edited by biggunguy

Extreme cruelty to the birds that then eat the poisoned slugs, sounds to me like Yermanee is an extreme buddhist and therefore the solution is to do nothing and accept fate.

I have absolute no idea how you came to that conclusion.

Extrapolating on your statement are non-extreme Buddhist's all persons who like to kill animals ?

Weird

Yermanee

import a family from Isaan?

Not a racist comment, people from my Isaan village have warned me not to let my Siamese cat outside, it'll finish up on a table somewhere.

Maybe just a ruse to keep your cat from peeing, shitting all over the place and killing their pets.

Responsible pet owners keep their animals on their own premises or on a leash when going for a walk.

Yermaneewai.gif

• Like 1

True the netting can take away from the look you are trying to achieve

There is a shop on sukontasawat road across from the chok chai school who sell a near invisible netting ,more like a spiders web ,I purchased some recently for my fish ,I don't have a cat problem but my fish tend to jump out

Steve

I know what you mean, they're the so called cloud or shadow nets. They are outlawed in Europe for a reason. No thank you, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Yermaneewai.gif

Unfortunately the only ihuman ways I can think of is having plants that act as a repellent. (My father had them in his garden to keep the cats away) or a net but as you said it is quite unsightly.

Good luck and I hope you find the solution! :)

• Like 1

Not a racist comment, people from my Isaan village have warned me not to let my Siamese cat outside, it'll finish up on a table somewhere.

Maybe just a ruse to keep your cat from peeing, shitting all over the place and killing their pets.

Responsible pet owners keep their animals on their own premises or on a leash when going for a walk.

Yermaneewai.gif

oh, like the neighbours' cows buffaloes, chickens and ducks shit all over the place including the bit that I think of as 'my bit'? And like dogs (even in Bangkok) and occasionally even buffalo disappear without a trace in Isaan? Good thinking Batman. We have three dogs and they never leave the property they know to the inch how far they can go. Go for a walk with a dog? When they have their 2 rais? We would be a laughing stock.

Don't worry, a fence is on it's way, about 600 Meters long I think.

Yermaneewai.gif

oh, like the neighbours' cows buffaloes, chickens and ducks shit all over the place including the bit that I think of as 'my bit'? And like dogs (even in Bangkok) and occasionally even buffalo disappear without a trace in Isaan? Good thinking Batman. We have three dogs and they never leave the property they know to the inch how far they can go. Go for a walk with a dog? When they have their 2 rais? We would be a laughing stock.

Don't worry, a fence is on it's way, about 600 Meters long I think.

My apologies.

I didn't want to offend you.

As I said, my temper is on a short leash momentarily.

Sorry !

Yermanee wai.gif

• Like 1

Unfortunately the only ihuman ways I can think of is having plants that act as a repellent. (My father had them in his garden to keep the cats away) or a net but as you said it is quite unsightly.

Good luck and I hope you find the solution! smile.png

Thanks !!

I have a few suggestions already that are worth contemplating.

As you said a net is unsightly and not only that but would keep away the birds from having a drink and a bath also.

Thanks again !

Yermanee wai.gif