New Tablet, First Time Android

h90

just got the email that my Asus TF700t is shipped.

When I get it, what do I need?

First thing, I think I need to update it: how to?

Second I have to find software for it, or?

PDF reader?

other Ebook reader?

what to use as browser? I think there is a google chrome or?

What next? I don't play games. What for do people use tablets?

OK GPS...but that seems to be more difficult....--> later.

what to do (and what mistakes not to do)?

I suspect alot of what you need (and dont) will be pre-installed, you can get practically anything imaginable for free download via the Google app site "play store"which again will probably be an icon already on the device.

Maybe wait until you get it? I assume you purchased it for some specific reasons? Generally speaking a tablet can function as a PC replacement, and offer extended portability along with media access. If you have a media-server set-up - and this is as simple as running some software on a PC - you can stream media content to a tablet pretty easily.

There should be an embedded native method of updating the Asus and/or Android software as necessary.

There should be a default e-reader installed, and if Acrobat is not installed it can be downloaded for free from the Play Store.

IME a tablet doesn't make a great GPS device - but then I have a 10.1" tablet which would block a large part of the windscreen ;). Maybe a smaller tablet would be OK?

I suspect alot of what you need (and dont) will be pre-installed, you can get practically anything imaginable for free download via the Google app site "play store"which again will probably be an icon already on the device.

thanks laugh.png

So it isn't like buying a laptop with Minesweeper and Solitaire pre-installed only? laugh.png

Maybe wait until you get it? I assume you purchased it for some specific reasons? Generally speaking a tablet can function as a PC replacement, and offer extended portability along with media access. If you have a media-server set-up - and this is as simple as running some software on a PC - you can stream media content to a tablet pretty easily.

There should be an embedded native method of updating the Asus and/or Android software as necessary.

There should be a default e-reader installed, and if Acrobat is not installed it can be downloaded for free from the Play Store.

IME a tablet doesn't make a great GPS device - but then I have a 10.1" tablet which would block a large part of the windscreen wink.png. Maybe a smaller tablet would be OK?

The specific reason was, that I read a lot ebooks. But all the day working I look at a screen, than in the evening I am reading on the laptop on the bed (with the warm laptop on my stomach in hot Thailand).

So I bought that tablet with the good screen to have a bit less red eyes and be able to read outside.

But that toy can do a lot more than an ebook reader so I wonder what all I miss, never really used even a smartphone, so I am pretty silly on these things.

i'm interested in one of these. where did you buy it?

At: www.invadeit.co.th

But before you order ask them:

(Phone: +66 (0)325 20177 - [email protected])

As Thomas there told me that they only get limited stock.

if you are scared from ordering online: I ordered several times from them and always everything perfect: I can really recommend them....

Edited by h90

Apps to try

Syngic Satnav software .... costs money but not much

Kindle ....... for reading books

TTPod ...... for playing music, and it downloads the lyrics and covers for all the English songs on your device.

Shazam ..... hear a song playing in a bar, hold your tab up to the speakers and it names that tune. Only good for English language songs

MusiXMatch ...... type in a line from any English song, and it names that song.

Mx player ...... video player that allows you to 'pinch zoom' the video.

Whats App ....... free SMS to everyone you know running the same app

ThaiDict ......... for English/Thai dictionary, only useful if you can read Thai script

Dolphin Browser ...... best web browser I have found for a tablet

K9 Mail ......... checks all your mail accounts in one app

Air Droid ...... file transfers to and from your PC over wi-fi

Dropbox ....... automatically backup all your photos to secure and free web storage, as soon as you take them (if near a wifi connection).

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Lot's of places to look. Will give a list for you to browse through while you are waiting for your new toy. I'm also interested in one. wink.png

Google's Best Apps Market app

Best Free Android Apps - This one is nice due to the categorization of apps.

Top 200 Best Android Apps 2012

PCMag - The 100 Best Android Apps for 2012

Digital Trends - Best Android Apps

Tracking tells me it was put in a container and left to somewhere.......I am a bit like a child before christmas tongue.png

I read there is a way to work on your PC via the table....something like teamviewer?

It would be nice to read a book on the bed and switch to the PC to see if new emails came in (no webmail, Thunderbird on the PC)

Is it possible??

Tracking tells me it was put in a container and left to somewhere.......I am a bit like a child before christmas tongue.png

I read there is a way to work on your PC via the table....something like teamviewer?

It would be nice to read a book on the bed and switch to the PC to see if new emails came in (no webmail, Thunderbird on the PC)

Is it possible??

You can get your emails from the email server in the same way that Thunderbird does. You just have to make sure the settings are right so you don't delete the emails the first time they're downloaded. (ie 1 device downloads the email then deletes it. The other device doesn't get the email because it's been deleted).

Is it possible??

I have android-vnc-viewer on my HTC Desire smartphone and can connect to my PC very nicely. On the PC side I run tightvnc which is fully compatible. This works well on your internal wifi network between computers.

If you need to access from a remote location, not within the house, than either Logmeinor teamviewer have android apps.

Is it possible??

You can get your emails from the email server in the same way that Thunderbird does. You just have to make sure the settings are right so you don't delete the emails the first time they're downloaded. (ie 1 device downloads the email then deletes it. The other device doesn't get the email because it's been deleted).

yes I know that way....Just I didn't think for it in this case....would be a good option as long as I use only the main computer to answer (to keep the sent folder complete on just 1 computer)

Is it possible??

yes I know that way....Just I didn't think for it in this case....would be a good option as long as I use only the main computer to answer (to keep the sent folder complete on just 1 computer)

My Android has an option to automatically BCC yourself when sending. That way the PC gets all the sent mail.

Sent from my HTC phone.

Is it possible??

My Android has an option to automatically BCC yourself when sending. That way the PC gets all the sent mail.

Sent from my HTC phone.

yes that helps, but for my 5 accounts (cut down from 10) and hundreds of emails per day, in combination with my weak brain it is a no go. Sometimes in the evening I can't find the emails from the morning anymore crazy.gif if I have my own BCC there I complete jump out of the window....

Before spam filter and when I was more in the internet I had after 6 hours sleeping a 3000 emails in my mailbox with a 50 orders which I processed on the same day (at peak times) crazy.gif

Thanks for the info. i thought they weren't available in Thailand yet. I am waiting for the samsung note 10.1 to be released next week and then will decide the way to go. leaning towards the note as it has 3G although not as good specs.

Lot's of places to look. Will give a list for you to browse through while you are waiting for your new toy. I'm also interested in one. wink.png

Google's Best Apps Market app

Best Free Android Apps - This one is nice due to the categorization of apps.

Top 200 Best Android Apps 2012

PCMag - The 100 Best Android Apps for 2012

Digital Trends - Best Android Apps

I took a quick review of above links and they varied greatly in their ranking/listing---but that is expected with the hundreds of thousands of different Apps out there and the even bigger differences in people's tastes. Preaching to the choir I know.

Personally, I just go to Google Play (Market) and surf/query for different free Apps....if they look interesting I download them and give them a try...don't like them...then uninstall them. Plus, for the few I buy (I like Free ones compared to the Paid ones) those Paid and Free Apps I download/install/pay for/etc., are maintained on my Google Play account for future redownload at no additional cost. What I do for a Paid App is only pay for it once and if I want to download the same App to my wife's smartphone without paying for it again, I just use my Google Account (unsync'ed) on the wife's phone along with the wife's Google account....that way Google Play displays both my phone and the wife's phone on my Google Play account...then I just resent the already Paid App to my wife's phone (or my phone).

Downloading/installing/uninstalling Apps is so, so easy especially when using the Google Play Apps site...can't compare to doing the same with regular computer software. A person can almost turn Apps "trying" into a hobby....just so, so many Free and Paid Apps out there. Many are good, many are no-so-good, but it's fun trying them out and using them...and during this "trying" you end up keeping and using quite a few of the Apps.

Again, preaching to the choir I know. Cheers.

seems like my TF700t is not working....it can vibrate and I heard sound from it, but no back light from the display....

Maybe it is not loaded full enough, but I think after 1.5 hours plugged in, it should show some reaction.......

hi h90 found this about a reset button.

http://www.transform...-wont-turn.html

thanks, found the same yesterday night. Did not help.

As I tried several things and got sometimes a vibration or a "dong" sound out of it, but never even a flicker from the screen, I think the back light is broken or not connected.

--> sending it back crying.gif

Some people asked me to report how this device performs.....I guess it is the shortest review ever....

Performance: NO

As I tried several things and got sometimes a vibration or a "dong" sound out of it, but never even a flicker from the screen, I think the back light is broken or not connected.

This is probably a shot in the dark but, Some tablets need you to hold the power button down for 3 seconds or so before you release it.

If not it will just make a sound & not fully start

This is probably a shot in the dark but, Some tablets need you to hold the power button down for 3 seconds or so before you release it.

If not it will just make a sound & not fully start

yes tried that...up to 30 seconds...

• 2 weeks later...

As some asked me how the story develops....here my updates:

I still have no Asus TF700t. Invadeit told me that he will ask Asus what is going on, but usually they don't responds. Additional the grey version is currently out of stock in Thailand.

Invadeit always responded my emails fast, so I don't blame them, but it is now already 2 weeks and I am not willing to wait another 2 weeks. So if they can't deliver anything I better go with a refund.

:-)

Shame on Asus I always liked their motherboards....