Bars Closing Crazy World Of Thailand

flightest

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These laws have been in effect since at least 2007. You can download the TV calendar for national holidays here:

But you do need to keep up with the news for local election dates. I hope you know the Queen's Birthday is celebrated on the 13th as well as the 12th, since it falls on a Sunday. You could always pick up a Thai calendar at your Thai bank at the end of the year as well.

yes its the election dates am after, they must no well in advance when they will be, i can understand closing for public holidays , but to close for elections is a joke, its a holiday resort,

It's all in the news section of the Phuket Forum: http://www.thaivisa....-bt5mn-a-night/

It might be a joke to you but you aren't Thai. It's the law and has been for quite a while...

Edited by Jimi007

These laws have been in effect since at least 2007. You can download the TV calendar for national holidays here: http://www.thaivisa....-calendar-2012/

But you do need to keep up with the news for local election dates. I hope you know the Queen's Birthday is celebrated on the 13th as well as the 12th, since it falls on a Sunday. You could always pick up a Thai calendar at your Thai bank at the end of the year as well.

I thought I remembered these back when I first got here in 01, or is this a case of manufactured memories?

These laws have been in effect since at least 2007. You can download the TV calendar for national holidays here: http://www.thaivisa....-calendar-2012/

I thought I remembered these back when I first got here in 01, or is this a case of manufactured memories?

I looked up the alcohol laws the other week and I think that most of the current lame laws were enacted in 2006 or 2007. But I don't really want to research them again. I could be wrong about the year, but who cares? I do remember some of the liquor laws changed that year. One could buy beer at the gas station before that and anytime of the day... It's whatever the law is now and of course we have to deal with the selective enforcement of those laws.

Edited by Jimi007

I looked up the alcohol laws the other week and I think that most of the current lame laws were enacted in 2006 or 2007. But I don't really want to research them again. I could be wrong about the year, but who cares? I do remember some of the liquor laws changed that year. One could buy beer at the gas station before that and anytime of the day... It's whatever the law is now and of course we have to deal with the selective enforcement of those laws.

the laws have been enforced to varying degrees for as long as i can recall. I arrived the day of the kings birth in 96, and we had a hell of a time finding a drink.

the laws have been enforced to varying degrees for as long as i can recall. I arrived the day of the kings birth in 96, and we had a hell of a time finding a drink.

The King's Birthday, December 5th (father's day) and the Queen's Birthday, August 12th (mother's day) have always been national holidays (since before I was alive) and no alcohol is served or sold since I've been here...

Edited by Jimi007

yes its the election dates am after, they must no well in advance when they will be, i can understand closing for public holidays , but to close for elections is a joke, its a holiday resort,

It's all in the news section of the Phuket Forum: http://www.thaivisa....-bt5mn-a-night/

It might be a joke to you but you aren't Thai. It's the law and has been for quite a while...

But thats just it...it is a joke to most Thais also......apart from 7/11, Lotus etc everywhere else sells booze and most of the Thais are drunk...Only last week the beach was packed with Thais enjoying their Hong Thong/sodas they bought at the Thai owned shops opposite

you can not live without beer a few days a month?

You're missing the point.

This is a tourist destination. Sometimes they are only here for a few days, so, maybe half their holiday, the bar areas close down and the restaurants don't serve alcohol.

They scratch their heads and wonder what the elections have to do with them.

Wasn't it just a few months ago when four out of five weekends, there was no bars open.

I do not think some people who post on this forum can

They are the ones complaining not the tourists

Yeah....that's right. All the Jetstar Bogons pile off the flight, arrive in Patong to find all the bars closed and they don't say a word.

Gotta love those Aussies for never whinging. cheesy.gif

This is a tourist destination. Sometimes they are only here for a few days, so, maybe half their holiday, the bar areas close down and the restaurants don't serve alcohol.

Wasn't it just a few months ago when four out of five weekends, there was no bars open.

well said, please take note thai goverment this is a holiday destination, i know a few thais that have bars here and they are far from happy wirth this situation, like i said before the law is a joke,

But thats just it...it is a joke to most Thais also......apart from 7/11, Lotus etc everywhere else sells booze and most of the Thais are drunk...Only last week the beach was packed with Thais enjoying their Hong Thong/sodas they bouTght at the Thai owned shops opposite

So as you say it's not a problem for the Thais, why is it such a big problem for some foriegners?

Yeah....that's right. All the Jetstar Bogons pile off the flight, arrive in Patong to find all the bars closed and they don't say a word.

Please if you are going to quote an Aussie word spell it correctly. It is Bogan http://www.bogan.com.au/definition/index.php

well said, please take note thai goverment this is a holiday destination, i know a few thais that have bars here and they are far from happy wirth this situation, like i said before the law is a joke,

Yes it is a tourist destination. There are others in Thailand as well. It's not a local law is it? It's a national law. And OP your original post was answered on this and other forums:

I'd say get over it. I doubt they will change lthe law because some tourists want to go out to bars.

So as you say it's not a problem for the Thais, why is it such a big problem for some foriegners?

Maybe because they have spent a lot of money for their annual holiday and want to let their hair down and they can't?

This is not really an issue for Thais and resident expats. Of course we can go without a beer, or, we can have a few at home, but, this is a world renowned tourist destination and it is nonsensical to stop paying tourists having a drink when they don't even vote.

• Like 1

Yes it is a tourist destination. There are others in Thailand as well. It's not a local law is it? It's a national law. And OP your original post was answered on this and other forums: http://www.thaivisa....ing-to-the-law/

I'd say get over it. I doubt they will change lthe law because some tourists want to go out to bars.

Sorry, finger slip. For you spelling pedants, why don't you check the Thaivisa rules.

Maybe because they have spent a lot of money for their annual holiday and want to let their hair down and they can't?

This is not really an issue for Thais and resident expats. Of course we can go without a beer, or, we can have a few at home, but, this is a world renowned tourist destination and it is nonsensical to stop paying tourists having a drink when they don't even vote.

There are many things that are nonsensical in Thailand. The local entertainment zone associations have tried and failed to get excluded from the national laws. By the way most of the current alcohol laws didn't exist until around 2006, when a "popular" PM was in office from what I remember.

Edited by Jimi007

I remember it from 1993. The shuttered doors at the bars/clubs, lights dim behind them and drinking discretely out of sight. wink.png

I remember it from 1993. The shuttered doors at the bars/clubs, lights dim behind them and drinking discretely out of sight. wink.png

Yes, most of the bans like holidays etc. But wasn't the no sale during the day, no sales at gasoline stations, and some other current alcohol laws enacted in or around 2006?

If you look well enough, you can always find a bar that is open. I always went to Kata, when you come from Nai Harn the last steep part before you drive into Kata, there is a bar on your left, under a big tree; That one was always open on these occasions. Many a great night had. As well in Kata itself there was always a bar or two open.

• Like 1

Yes, most of the bans like holidays etc. But wasn't the no sale during the day, no sales at gasoline stations, and some other current alcohol laws enacted in or around 2006?

Yes, the 2-5 no sale hours was much more recent and your dates sounds about right.

Please if you are going to quote an Aussie word spell it correctly. It is Bogan http://www.bogan.com...ition/index.php

thanks for the english lesson

i live most days a week without beer, but when i want one, i want one.

No problem, keep a few in your refrigerator.

yes good idea, save up all year to go on holiday, then sit in your room with a beer, great stuff

i live most days a week without beer, but when i want one, i want one.

No problem, keep a few in your refrigerator.

yes good idea, save up all year to go on holiday, then sit in your room with a beer, great stuff

Sorry that Thailand's holidays and elections don't revolve around your beer holiday... Check before you book.