Ban On Alcohol Consumption On Public Buses: Thailand

webfact

No alcohol on buses

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The government has announced a ban on alcohol consumption on public buses.

The ban, issued under the 2008 Alcohol Consumption Control, went into effect yesterday. The order was signed by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on July 23.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-09

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great, now the passengers have to be stone cold sober whilst they get taken on their 'seat-of-their-pants-ride-of-death' bus ride on which they probably wont get out alive...

Seems a bit unfair as well, the driver is high as a kite, and yet the passengers are not allowed a little tipple to steel their nerves.

Looks like i have to stick to my wasted motocy rider instead!

Edited by MunterHunter
  • Like 2

Most of TV's members frequent factorys not that often, but for your entertainment information: The sale and consumption of booze in factory's is also prohibited from today.

Jadet Chaowilai, adviser of the Network of People Affected by Alcoholic Drinks, thanked Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra for issuing the two laws which hopefully will reduce the number of deaths, injuries and disabilities as a result of drinking alcohol.

Source: Bangkok Post

Hopefully? seriously? hopefully? TiT - gov: this law will protect you! we have done no research, no studies,no whatsoever! what the heck let's simply try it out! Wait, what is wrong with that concept??? Ah, yes! Hope for Easter bunnies, Santa and the tooth ferry - GOOD! Hope for sober drivers because you can't drink inside car?? cheesy.gif

What's next? I admit sometimes stop at a mate's place for a beer and a chat. I need to be protected ! Ban booze from houses and bars (yes cars can stop there, too) we need to be protected!clap2.gif

Edited by Tywais
Bangkok Post quote removed

It's still party time in private vehicles. After all, as we all know, alcohol only affects people driving and riding public transportation, but if you own a Mercedes you can put a bar in back of your car and drive yourself to drink.

Floater- I drink to put up with idiots on buses, airplanes etc..Paint everyone with a broad brush.Try listening to yourself while I'm sleeping.

Now you are no longer allowed to do so in a public bus, the horror. I have no problem with people drinking just with annoying drunks if people can control themselves there is no problem.

I just assumed this type of law always existed. Makes sense to me. I've had the unpleasant situation of sharing a bus with obnoxiously drunk and annoying people before. People ride buses to get somewhere. They shouldn't have to deal with drunken idiots -- that's what bars are for.

Not to hijack the thread but this reminds me that I've never heard an explanation for the restriction on booze sales from 2 pm to 5 pm everyday. I've assumed it's to stop people from getting drunk during their work or school day. If that's the case, isn't it a bit embarrassing to have to make a law like that? Sort of like saying that one's population doesn't have enough self-control or maturity to be responsible.

Sort of like saying that one's population doesn't have enough self-control or maturity to be responsible.............and aren't smart enough to find a way around the ban. Which normally involves finding an owner-run shop, and letting his/her venality overcome their fear of being charges (almost non-existent).

If this ban includes car passengers, will it include Chalerm's ear medicine? Does anybody really expect a traffic cop to stop a Roller, Merc 500+ or a BMW 7 series and charging the back seat passengers for having a glass of JW Black?

It's sad if people can't control their urge to drink for a few minutes/hours ride.

I feel sorry for these weak people and will feel much better now not being surrounded by drunken people on a public bus.

There are more important things in life than booze.

Edited by DocHolliday
  • Like 1

It's sad if people can't control their urge to drink for a few minutes/hours ride.

I feel sorry for these weak people and will feel much better now not being surrounded by drunken people on a public bus.

There are more important things in life than booze.

Not if your English biggrin.png (joke so flame on)

But you are right its crazy if you cant be without a cigarette or a glass of booze. On the other hand if they aren't bothering anyone with it why limit them.

It's still party time in private vehicles. After all, as we all know, alcohol only affects people driving and riding public transportation, but if you own a Mercedes you can put a bar in back of your car and drive yourself to drink.

Not according to the another newspaper: Passengers, in any vehicle, are not allowed to drink alcohol as it encourages the driver to drink.

I wonder how that affects pick-ups where they sit in the back and drink alcohol.

Edited by petedk

I just assumed this type of law always existed. Makes sense to me. I've had the unpleasant situation of sharing a bus with obnoxiously drunk and annoying people before. People ride buses to get somewhere. They shouldn't have to deal with drunken idiots -- that's what bars are for.

Not to hijack the thread but this reminds me that I've never heard an explanation for the restriction on booze sales from 2 pm to 5 pm everyday. I've assumed it's to stop people from getting drunk during their work or school day. If that's the case, isn't it a bit embarrassing to have to make a law like that? Sort of like saying that one's population doesn't have enough self-control or maturity to be responsible.

Surely not ?rolleyes.gif

wasn't that in Europe?

I do 10-11 hours Chiang Mai to Udon (or the other way) pretty often. ~4 cans of beer and I can sleep like a baby on the bus, get there relaxed and ready.. Without beers I can't sleep on bus at all, and first thing I have to do when I get there is sleep 5-8 hours.

• Like 1

Floater- I drink to put up with idiots on buses, airplanes etc..Paint everyone with a broad brush.Try listening to yourself while I'm sleeping.

Now you are no longer allowed to do so in a public bus, the horror. I have no problem with people drinking just with annoying drunks if people can control themselves there is no problem.

+1