Drunk Driving Law Tightened

petercallen

Occupants of vehicles of any kind who drink alcohol during travel are now subject to 6 months imprisonment and/or a 60,000 baht fine

The fines will also be imposed on drinkers parked on the sidewalks or shoulders of public roads

Drinking occupants and drivers and occupants will be equally liable for such violations

Still think Australia is a nanny country or state snamos

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like a rumour to me. Can you prove me wrong Peter?

It was reported by The Nation newspaper.

Just another law that won't be enforced.

Thanks, just found the article.

This seems like a very strange law to me, even for Thailand. So I'm still not convinced this is true, will wait for confirmation from other sources. According to The Nation, and as Peter wrote, it is only for drinking while inside a vehicle, not for driving drunk.

Nothing to do with Phuket BTW, is already being discussed here.

Edited by stevenl

your sweet if you drive a car...its almost impossible to get pulled over....also on the very odd occasion when they have pulled over cars at Chalong circle you can just pretend you didnt see them...my missus does it never stops...Im normally laughing like a hyena when she does it but she cant seem to fathom why its so funny. She just says to me 'They wont chase me'. And you know what she is right

When they put on those big once every 6 month blitzes on Chao Fa, Wiset or Patak Road...you can just bust a 'U' turn as they are so blindingly obvious you must want to get caught

It's a nothing law and won't curb the road toll without enforcement.

Nightly breathalyzer check points and speed cameras around the island is the only solution.

When it comes time to renew your tax sticker, pay the accumulated fines or be refused new sticker.

Quite easy I think.

Nothing a 10000 baht back hander won't fix.

Where did you get this info?

Got a link or is it rumor through the coconut wireless from your wife's brothers neighbours cat?

The Phuket Gazette Newspaper check yourself, not coconut wireless

It's a shame I don't read the Gazette anymore.

It's useless for news and has become a classifieds rag.

Especially since, provided I read this correctly, the law has nothing to do with driving intoxicated, only with drinking while in a vehicle.

It is Phuket related because the OP is directed to someone that only really posts in the Phuket Forum

No mate i was not picking on you, but you do regularly talk about nanny states

And this is a nanny law in my opinion much worse than Australian DD laws

There are more farangs living in Phuket as expats than any where else in Thailand

and a lot like going out to bars on a regular basis and driving/ riding themselves

When i first came here the fine was 1000 baht and easy to get out of if you got caught

60,000 baht is going to change things a lot especially what you need to pay

Have to do the same as Australia have a nominated skipper/driver who does not drink

or use a Tuk Tuk or taxi because if they do police this law it could be very expensive

• Like 1

Nothing a 10000 baht back hander won't fix.

Where did you get this info?

Got a link or is it rumor through the coconut wireless from your wife's brothers neighbours cat?

The Phuket Gazette Newspaper check yourself, not coconut wireless

It's a shame I don't read the Gazette anymore.

It's useless for news and has become a classifieds rag.

Check the online free edition

Especially since, provided I read this correctly, the law has nothing to do with driving intoxicated, only with drinking while in a vehicle.

You must be joking

See this from the TV information on this law 'A new law banning drinking in public and personal vehicles has been published in the Royal Gazette, becoming effective from August 8 onwards.' So the law seems to be about drinking in public (including vehicles, so also the back of a pickup truck or tuktuk), not about driving while intoxicated.

You must be joking

See this from the TV information on this law 'A new law banning drinking in public and personal vehicles has been published in the Royal Gazette, becoming effective from August 8 onwards.' So the law seems to be about drinking in public (including vehicles, so also the back of a pickup truck or tuktuk), not about driving while intoxicated.

I think its like the American law (some states) about having an open container of alcohol in the car.

Looks like Chalong police will have new Mercedes in no time.

The law is so grey that I suspect this law will get abused.

Edited by hansgruber
  • Like 1

You must be joking

So do you think the fine for DD will still be 1000 baht or up to 60,000 baht

You must be joking

It also bans drinking on busses. In 90 there will be a ban on drinking at factories as well.

This law seems to have nothing to do with drunk driving. Don't know how much the fine is for that, but if it was 1000 Baht it will still be 1000 Baht. The law seems to be about drinking in public, so you can't have a beer anymore next to your wife while she drivers the car, that will cost you 60,000 Baht. See e.g. this from your own first sentence in this thread 'drink alcohol during travel'. During it says, not before.

Edited by stevenl

So it seems that EZ Bribe will come handy after all as it would be dangerous to to drink and drive with huge amount of money.

http://www.thaivisa....-for-motorists/

Just look at that thread, incredible. People are taking it seriously despite the 'SATIRE' at the top of it.

I'm more worried that there had to be written 'SATIRE' on the top of the article. Well, TiT.

You must be joking

"Occupants of vehicles of any kind who drink alcohol during travel are now subject to six months imprisonment and/or a Bt60,000 fine, the Office of Alcoholic Beverages announced yesterday." Where does the law say anything about drunk driving or a legal alcohol limit for driving? It's not a safety law, it is an alcohol beverage law.

So it seems that EZ Bribe will come handy after all as it would be dangerous to to drink and drive with huge amount of money.

http://www.thaivisa....-for-motorists/

Just look at that thread, incredible. People are taking it seriously despite the 'SATIRE' at the top of it.

I'm more worried that there had to be written 'SATIRE' on the top of the article. Well, TiT.

That there had to be written 'SATIRE" says more about the TV readers than about Thailand IMO, but that may be a matter of interpretation and open for discussion.

How is the law going to be enforced?

Breathalyzer? Mouth smelling? Walk a straight line and touch your nose? Mor do?

I'm sure it has to be proved and evidence submitted to the courts.

No, those are all things that have nothing to do with alcohol consumption while driving, only with having had an drink.