What Happens To Return Airline Ticket If Arrested?

What happens to return airline ticket if someone is arrested for overstay or some other relatively minor thing prior to leaving Thailand? If the ticket was paid for but unable to be used due to arrest, is a new ticket issued for return without additional cost, or would a new ticket have to be purchased for the new date?

That depends entirely on the airline and the ticket conditions. Some airlines will allow you to change your return date, others will simply tell you to buy a new ticket. But it also depends on the conditions that goes with the ticket. The cheaper the ticket, the more restrictions are placed on it (like being abl to change the date, both trips must be made witin 30 days, 3 months or 1 year Etc)

That depends entirely on the airline and the ticket conditions. Some airlines will allow you to change your return date, others will simply tell you to buy a new ticket. But it also depends on the conditions that goes with the ticket. The cheaper the ticket, the more restrictions are placed on it (like being abl to change the date, both trips must be made witin 30 days, 3 months or 1 year Etc)

Thank you for the information.

That is what I was afraid of. My overstay is not the result of partying too much and losing track of time. I trusted the wrong person, and have paid the consequences with the extreme financial difficulties that I am experiencing now.

I have read so much about people who have overstayed their visa and missed their flight as a result. I guess that is not a big deal if you have the money to purchase a new ticket, but I do not. I would hate to purchase a ticket back to the U.S. if I am arrested while trying to resolve my overstay issues. That would leave me stuck in Thailand with no way out.

It might even lead to you being kept in detension. When you are caught on overstay you must pay the fine AND must have a ticket out of the country. Immigration can hold you till you not only have paid the fine, but also have bought a ticket out of the country to a country that can not deny you entry.

Normally you would not need a flight to US to exit so might be safer to pay for cheap flight to KL or Singapore and have funds for the onward flight from there (if you can not buy a refundable ticket)? But believe most overstay is taken care of in minutes and traveler on way if check-in with plenty of time and overstay not too suspect (false passport stamps or something like that).

Thank you for the information.

That is what I was afraid of. My overstay is not the result of partying too much and losing track of time. I trusted the wrong person, and have paid the consequences with the extreme financial difficulties that I am experiencing now.

I have read so much about people who have overstayed their visa and missed their flight as a result. I guess that is not a big deal if you have the money to purchase a new ticket, but I do not. I would hate to purchase a ticket back to the U.S. if I am arrested while trying to resolve my overstay issues. That would leave me stuck in Thailand with no way out.

I would be interested in where or what you have read "so much about people who have overstayed and missed their flight". I would bet the amount of people who got to the airport late and missed their flight is higher than those who were clearing up their overstay at passport control and missed their flight. Dude buy a ticket to Phnom Phen on Airasia and go through passport control and pay your overstay and fly back in the next day. As long as none of the stamps in your passport are forged you will be ok and make sure you have your departure card.

He came to Thailand on a return ticket, so should the airline, have checked that he had a visa to cover his stay here? or did the op arrive on a non imm visa?

For example your should not be allowed to fly to Thailand if you want to stay for 33 days but do not have say a tourist visa.

Just a thought that may or may not help you deal with the airline you are booked with

He came to Thailand on a return ticket, so should the airline, have checked that he had a visa to cover his stay here? or did the op arrive on a non imm visa?

For example your should not be allowed to fly to Thailand if you want to stay for 33 days but do not have say a tourist visa.

Just a thought that may or may not help you deal with the airline you are booked with

If you have a return ticket you do not need a visa, as if he came from a certain country he could have got visa on arrival

It might even lead to you being kept in detension. When you are caught on overstay you must pay the fine AND must have a ticket out of the country. Immigration can hold you till you not only have paid the fine, but also have bought a ticket out of the country to a country that can not deny you entry.

Not necessarily.

A guy has just been caught locally (Udon) for a 2 year overstay.

He was taken to court, and the overstay "fine" was reduced by the judge from 20k to 10k.

The following day, Immigration allowed him to do a border crossing at Nong Khai into Laos, and return with a 14 day entry stamp. He now has to get his visa situation sorted out.

• Like 1

Not necessarily.

A guy has just been caught locally (Udon) for a 2 year overstay.

He was taken to court, and the overstay "fine" was reduced by the judge from 20k to 10k.

The following day, Immigration allowed him to do a border crossing at Nong Khai into Laos, and return with a 14 day entry stamp. He now has to get his visa situation sorted out.

i know a guy who overstayed 6 mounths , and was fined the max 20k

why is there such a variation in the treatment of these overstayers ,

nod nod , wink wink ,

A judge can set the fine lower than the max but the only time a person goes before a judge is when they are caught with an overstay.

When a person voluntarily goes to immigration or leaves the country they always pay the max penalty.

When you are caught with overstay you have the option to pay the fine as a transaction. If you don't want to or can't, you are brought before a judge. A judge tpically sets a lower fine and if you can't pay you will have to do jailtime at 200 baht a day and have crimnal record.

When you have done your time you will be transferred from prison to an immigration detention centre. There you stay till you have a flight out of the country to a country that can't deny you entry. You have to pay for this flight yourself!

Going to court might get you a lower fine, but will lead to being detained. At least till you appeear before a judge. And in most cases will be more expensive, as often you will need to buy a new plane ticket.