Thai Citizenship

autan

Hi Everyone

It's been a while since my last confession , I mean post.

I'M in Hua hin and will be here for a while, may be a month who knows. The beach especially near the centara and Hyatt are superb.. Lots of rats near the night market though, discusting.

Anyway I came on here just to say I have cut down on my drinking but not took up any of th kind offers to I attend AA, I have considered but I don't think the time is now. I will try self control first and then see.

I have spent the last few months trying to get Dual Natiionality as both British which is my native and Thai. Thaivisa have been great in their recommendations but as requested no names will be mentioned or details given.

I am the proud owner of a 5 year Thai passport as well as getting my Thai ID card a few days ago.

To all the people who kept telling me it was impossible to for a Falang to get dual nationality, I now give a smile and tow the line with them.

Here goes in my most sincere words. A falang cannot get become a Thai ciitizen, they cannot get a Thai birth certificate, passport, ID card or land book and they cannot own land.

Was that convincing enough. Good.

The only question to others in the know is this, when I go back to the uk, I assume I use my British passport, it's ok this time as it has a entry card stapled to it, but i swap it for my Thai passport, it won't have a entry card in the future. Do I show both passports when leave LOS ?

• Like 1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats :)

Now you have dual citizenship surely an entry card is not needed ?

Out with UK in with Thai sounds logical.

I ave just been called by my contact, he says when traveling into Thailand say from Manchester. I use m British passport until I reach bkk, then in do not fill out a immigration form. Instead I join the Thai queue (you can imagine the looks I will get) when I get to the desk, show both passports. On the waout. Check in using my British passport and also show my new Thai passport and simply say dual nationality.

Apparently as Bkk they are used to this since the Brits stop putting visa "right aboad in renewable passports"

I am sure you know all about it so won't repeat.

Anyway, it seems sorted.

Are you half Thai half British?

When I travel with my son, he leaves from Bangkok on his Thai passport and enters England on his English passport!

No need to show both. As you will have a departure stamp when leaving Thailand and an arrival stamp when you return to Thailand ( in the Thai passport)

Are you half Thai half British?

When I travel with my son, he leaves from Bangkok on his Thai passport and enters England on his English passport!

No need to show both. As you will have a departure stamp when leaving Thailand and an arrival stamp when you return to Thailand ( in the Thai passport)

No I am full British. Now a dual nationality. I have been adopted by my new Yai and Dar.

Well good for yousmile.png

We can use this as an opportunity to settle an age old TV argument.

You are now a "ThaI" national, in possession of a passport and all the rights that come with it as a Thai citizen.

Have people stopped calling you a falang? I think not as in the op you called yourself such.

Now we know for sure that "falang" does not mean foreigner, as we have a "falang" with Thai nationality. This proves that the word refers to race, not nationalitybiggrin.png

• Like 1

You are now a "ThaI" national, in possession of a passport and all the rights that come with it as a Thai citizen.

Have people stopped calling you a falang? I think not as in the op you called yourself such.

Now we know for sure that "falang" does not mean foreigner, as we have a "falang" with Thai nationality. This proves that the word refers to race, not nationalitybiggrin.png

But, you knew the answer to this before you asked,did you not?....we (westerners) all know the ugly truth.

Edited by barky

You had better look at this Topic on TVF in the Visa section or click on the link below.

It says a lot about what you are and what you are not entitled to.

I am now officially a Thai citizen! My approval was finally published in the Royal Gazette last month and I am now scheduled to pick up my ID card and Thai passport next week. It was a long wait - 5 years to be exact – but as far as these things go, I think the length of time seems to be quite standard or, if anything, perhaps on the quick side. Having said that, however, I know people who have been approved in 3 years and those who have waiting and are still waiting after 10 years.

I think through the slight slurring of the keyboard the OP is saying he's gotten Thai citizenship via being adopted by his new 'grandparents'. If so, a highly creative and not often used way for an adult.

We've also got Kilgore and Barkey trying to start a pity party for themselves of the back of the OP's success. Gentlemen, violins at the ready please. And a one, and a two....

• Like 1

Dual citizenship: Leave and enter Thailand on your Thai passport, enter and leave your other country of citizenship on that country's passport, and any other countries; take your pick, obviously something like Laos on a Thai passport, or Australia on your English passport.

Would like to know from the OP though - using adoption as a means of obtaining citizenship; did you have to prove proficiency in both spoken and written Thai?

• Like 1

I think through the slight slurring of the keyboard the OP is saying he's gotten Thai citizenship via being adopted by his new 'grandparents'. If so, a highly creative and not often used way for an adult.

We've also got Kilgore and Barkey trying to start a pity party for themselves of the back of the OP's success. Gentlemen, violins at the ready please. And a one, and a two....

No wrong! I dont do pity, never for myself, and seldom for others. You must have someone else in mind (yourself maybe). I'm just agreeing with what I and many others believe is the truth if that's OK by you. (no question mark on purpose)

I, unlike others (you, maybe, for example) don't bother trying to garner support from people by trying to say something clever or cute or P.C. as I have no problem putting foward my "own" opinion without fear or favour on a guiven topic. And, I shall contine to do so. And it's Barky na.

Dual citizenship: Leave and enter Thailand on your Thai passport, enter and leave your other country of citizenship on that country's passport, and any other countries; take your pick, obviously something like Laos on a Thai passport, or Australia on your English passport.

Would like to know from the OP though - using adoption as a means of obtaining citizenship; did you have to prove proficiency in both spoken and written Thai?

That's the usual way for air transport, can be complications by land, I believe.

Anyone elaborate on the difficulties that can arise from foot crossing?

From the way you write you are not 'British'

that have something to do with the autocorrection on my ipad.

i have of course no wa to way to prove i am English except to say. I really miss back bacon rashers served with a fried egg, toasted tea cake and a cup of coffee. if like tea fair enough. i am not against tra just prefer coffee.

yep thats about as much proof i can be arsed to offer tha i am English.

the following commetns are my own and do intend offense to anyone.

i am reffered to as a falang in thailand.

mixes race or half cast in england and

as a cocunut in egypt.

my friends know my real name, to everyone else i a, named after a particularly useless spray of anti mosquito repellant.

How does one leave with the Thai passport. Assuming the UK passport was still stamped in by the system?

Get both stamped out on the exit ?? Then return with the Thai passport ??

You don't use the UK PP on entering Thailand, if you have dual Nationality.

No i have not had to pass any Thai language test or even written test. just an interview with my adoptive grandparents. Once the authorities were happy that i would be supporting them, as we say in thailand (plus plus) if you know what I mean it was very straightforwardtonget the thai birth certificate issued bybthe thai embassy in london.

Without letting the cat out of the bag.

i have been adapoted by thai citizens, both mywife and son are decended from thais, while. am not.

my adaptive grandparents, very decent people adpoted me in return for me taking care of them in their old age. thai visa helped them get visas to the uk (btw thanks again).

We made appointments to visit the thai embassy and let me tell everyone getting old old folks in their late 80s down those step to the basement is no joke. we filled in the paperwork for me to get a thai birth certificate issued by the embassy. i am in my late 30s btw. After that getting the passport wasprett straight forward, however i needed to put on the grandparent housebook in order to get an id card.

i still havent changed the driving lience yet. i have not had to take any test whatsoever.

Everyone is a winner, thanks aain TV.

Congratulations on your Thai Citizenship!

Glad to hear you cut down on your drinking.But looks like you have had a few when you typed here.

Who are your adopted grandparents they surely cannot be your wife's grand parents.... Interesting post. Just wish it was clearer.....on how it was done..

Surely after you reach 18 it is very hard to be adopted....Never the less well done!!!

Edited by maprao

How does one leave with the Thai passport. Assuming the UK passport was still stamped in by the system?

No. What i mean is. For example. The OP has a Thai passport now. Assuming he entered with the UK Passport. He got his passport in Thai currently. On Exit, surely he have to leave with his UK PP.

When he return to Thailand. There is no exit stamp in his new Thai passport?

Congratulations on your Thai Citizenship!

Glad to hear you cut down on your drinking.But looks like you have had a few when you typed here.

Who are your adopted grandparents they surely cannot be your wife's parents.... Interesting post. Just wish it was clearer.....on how it was done..

Its my new Ipad, it takes a little getting used to. I prefer a proper keyboard.

My Grandparents are friends of my Wifes Parents, they couldnt have children. They adopted one child but she died. They then adopted me not as their child but as a grandchild. Its totally legal here and provideing your prepared to make certain financial undertakings, it opens doors, that are closed every other way or at least seen as difficult.

Why have a Thai Wife, who are the best lookiing girls in the world, whe. you have grandparents too.

I isay no more, TV earn their living fro visa runs and the other visa / immigration services, so comtact them for further info.

Edited by autan

No. What i mean is. For example. The OP has a Thai passport now. Assuming he entered with the UK Passport. He got his passport in Thai currently. On Exit, surely he have to leave with his UK PP.

When he return to Thailand. There is no exit stamp in his new Thai passport?

I think what they are trying to say is by producing both passports, you dont need a stamp, like Usa for Uk.

Autan, you've had your problems over the years. I accept you now have your Thai citizenship. However, I can't be the only one questioning this route to it which sounds one helluva lot easier than the conventional route. Would be interested to hear some opinion from others on this who have some knowledge of it as its definitely a gap in my knowledge.

First to admit lots of gaps in my knowledge smile.png

Edited by roamer