Rowdy Rally Forces Thaksin To Cancel Meeting In Los Angeles

webfact

Having looked for media accounts of Thaksin's visit (apart from the predictable Thai based reports) I eventually found an American perspective which is in direct contradiction of the impression given by the usual suspects:

http://blogs.lmu.edu...ngeles-and-lmu/

I'm not sure that this proves anything other than an internet search will come up with anything.I retain my view that the whole visit amounts to almost zero interest and significance

Pro-Thaksin Amsterdam-esque articles being hosted under a .edu domain. I suppose this must reflect on the institution rather than Academia itself.

Except for one anti-Thaksin demonstration in Los Angeles, it has been smooth going here in the U.S.

:lol:

Loyola Marymount University

Why do the educated class hate Thaksin, Jayboy? I'd love to hear your Ox-Bridge influenced reasoning for it.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having looked for media accounts of Thaksin's visit (apart from the predictable Thai based reports) I eventually found an American perspective which is in direct contradiction of the impression given by the usual suspects:

I'm not sure that this proves anything other than an internet search will come up with anything.I retain my view that the whole visit amounts to almost zero interest and significance

Pro-Thaksin Amsterdam-esque articles being hosted under a .edu domain. I suppose this must reflect on the institution rather than Academia itself.

Except for one anti-Thaksin demonstration in Los Angeles, it has been smooth going here in the U.S.

laugh.png

Why do the educated class hate Thaksin, Jayboy? I'd love to hear your Ox-Bridge influenced reasoning for it.

I know nothing about Loyola Marymount University nor the author of the article.My point was simply that if one is obsessive enough and has plenty of time to spare one can find some corner of the internet that contrives to "prove one's point".Quite who these armchair warriors are trying to convince is hard to say since it's very much preaching to the converted.As always the best lack all conviction and the worst are full of passionate intesity.The account on this thread on Thaksin's visit to America has been dominated by those who hate the man (their right as previously noted) and are therefore naturally keen to put their spin on what appears to have been a rather boring and insignificant trip.

I don't think it can be assumed that the educated class hate Thaksin though many do.With foreigners strangely enough the reverse seems to be true.As for Thais it's true the mainly Sino Thai middle class that loathe him as do of course the unelected feudal, military, bureaucratic and old style business elites.In a way it's a pointless question because in the long term Thaksin isn't the issue and his significance is much more as a catalyst.Most educated people probably feel a distaste for the man I agree, as they do for most Thai politicians.In terms of sympathy for the redshirt movement, albeit with caveats, there is huge support among the most educated people in the Kingdom.

• Like 1

In terms of sympathy for the redshirt movement, albeit with caveats, there is huge support among the most educated people in the Kingdom.

Have you got any concrete evidence of this?

Armed with some understanding of Thaiscript, you only have to look around online to find plenty of it to the contrary.

In terms of sympathy for the redshirt movement, albeit with caveats, there is huge support among the most educated people in the Kingdom.

Armed with some understanding of Thaiscript, you only have to look around online to find plenty of it to the contrary.

I was thinking of that grouping sometimes known as the intelligentsia - university academics, elite university educated professionals, leading journalists etc.Note I am not saying this represents other than a minority of well educated Thais nor does it imply any respect for Thaksin.But it is a very significant and impressive group, a world away from the often hysterical online presence you mention - 'the velly educate peeple".

• Like 1

I was thinking of that grouping sometimes known as the intelligentsia - university academics, elite university educated professionals, leading journalists etc.Note I am not saying this represents other than a minority of well educated Thais nor does it imply any respect for Thaksin.But it is a very significant and impressive group, a world away from the often hysterical online presence you mention - 'the velly educate peeple".

Under highly education people you will surely find social feeling and support of the grass-root red-shirt ideas of fairness, equal chances, self-reliance, entitlement. That's not the same as being for the UDD or even k. Thaksin. Which brings us back to the topic.

Having looked for media accounts of Thaksin's visit (apart from the predictable Thai based reports) I eventually found an American perspective which is in direct contradiction of the impression

laugh.png

I know nothing about Loyola Marymount University nor the author of the article.

plate.png

Tom Plate is the author of the new book CONVERSATIONS WITH THAKSIN.

He's a Fellow at the school and he is the one that invited Thaksin to come to the university and speak.

He then follows that up with writing about Thaksin's trip to the university and his trip in general on the university's website.

Not saying that his close personal involvement with Thaksin would taint his discord on Thaksin's trip to the USA in the slightest, rolleyes.gif, but when he writes for the university's blog,

meeting with the usual VIPS (the Henry Kissingers and so on)

Who else are the "usual VIPS" and who is "so on"?

Does the dishwasher at the King Of Thai Noodle House qualify as a "usual VIP"?

The PR machine can't even verify the claimed Kissinger meeting took place, let alone "and so on".

Although at the time of his writing the Washington DC demonstration protest hadn't occurred yet, the demonstration and taunts of Go To Jail shouted at him to his face in San Francisco had. Throw in the abysmal venues and pathetic turnouts since Day 1 of the tour and one necessarily wonders about the Thaksin book author's accuracy when he writes,

That's an interesting description of "smooth."

Edited by Buchholz

what exactly are you saying?

laugh.png

The account on this thread on Thaksin's visit to America has been dominated by those who hate the man (their right as previously noted) and are therefore naturally keen to put their spin on what appears to have been a rather boring and insignificant trip.

their right....and they are correct too.

Any chance you could quit with the paragraphs of obfuscation and simply provide some solid evidence of the "huge support among the most educated people in the Kingdom" of the so-called red shirt movement?

You know as well as I do how easy it is to provide much evidence to the contrary. No point flooding this thread with it.

So that would be a huge majority of a small minority? The PhD (piled higher and deeper) mob ?

Any chance you could quit with the paragraphs of obfuscation and simply provide some solid evidence of the "huge support among the most educated people in the Kingdom" of the so-called red shirt movement?

You know as well as I do how easy it is to provide much evidence to the contrary. No point flooding this thread with it.

There's a point which IMHO needs to be added:

Yes, there are many wealthy / well educated Thais, academics, etc., who would readily agree that a large percentage of all Thais are downtrodden, they receive little fair justice, the gap between the rich and the poor is way way too big, education (as it currently exits) doesn't give a large proportion the tools to make improvements in their quality of life, and added to all of this is many factors of collusion and nepotism which keep them downtrodden and lacking in fair opportunities.

Many of these folks would like to see big changes to reverse / at least adjust this picture in a positive way.

Some might well believe that the rhetoric of the reds / UDD is all focused on the points above. I personally don't believe this is a big group.

Others want change but don't see the current reds / ud (or pt) as anything even starting to resemble a credible force for change.

And there is a group of wealthy Thais, academics, etc who will claim they support change for the poor etc., because it sounds politically correct, but in reality it's their own pockets they silently look out for.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Well I have close contact with many Thai academics and I can assure you that a very very large percentage of them detest the man and what he is doing to Thailand, how he has manipulated the masses, and how he has been able to influence (the lack of) fair justice for all.

It is true that when the paymaster first appeard on the scene and painted the picture that he was the saviour of the poor etc., he got support from a lot of academics etc., who readily agreed that the poor are downtrodden and whole picture desperately needed big changes. But not now.

There are a few academics who still support him. But, ask them why and in most cases you never get a logical answer.

Edited by scorecard

Well I have close contact with many Thai academics and I can assure you that a very very large percentage of them detest the man and what he is doing to Thailand.

It is true that when the paymaster first appeard on the scene and painted the picture that he was the saviour of the poor etc., he got support from a lot of academics etc., who readily agreed that the poor are downtrodden and whole picture desperately needed big changes.

And there are a few academics who still support him. But, ask them why and in most cases you never get a logical answer.

Your intimate connection with Thailand's greatest minds has not unfortunately improved your capacity to comprehend a simply expressed post which made it crystal clear it was not about Thaksin .

laugh.png

I know nothing about Loyola Marymount University nor the author of the article.My point was simply that if one is obsessive enough and has plenty of time to spare one can find some corner of the internet that contrives to "prove one's point".Quite who these armchair warriors are trying to convince is hard to say since it's very much preaching to the converted.As always the best lack all conviction and the worst are full of passionate intesity.The account on this thread on Thaksin's visit to America has been dominated by those who hate the man (their right as previously noted) and are therefore naturally keen to put their spin on what appears to have been a rather boring and insignificant trip.

I don't think it can be assumed that the educated class hate Thaksin though many do.With foreigners strangely enough the reverse seems to be true.As for Thais it's true the mainly Sino Thai middle class that loathe him as do of course the unelected feudal, military, bureaucratic and old style business elites.In a way it's a pointless question because in the long term Thaksin isn't the issue and his significance is much more as a catalyst.Most educated people probably feel a distaste for the man I agree, as they do for most Thai politicians.In terms of sympathy for the redshirt movement, albeit with caveats, there is huge support among the most educated people in the Kingdom.

Do you not find it strange that there is not a lot of pro Thaksin reports on here. Many of there posts are on the positive red shirts and their leader Thaksin. Also on Thaksins mouthpiece clone. But one thread that does not show some thing they can spin into some thing even the red shirts can believe and they disappear. Could they be rite and Thaksin has many faces that he can pick and choose to show. In the states he choose the useless one.

If it was true that he has many faces do you think he will ever chose to show the honest one and come back to Thailand do his time face all his charges and then devote all his efforts towards helping the poor with out even getting one baht out of it. He dosen't need it he has enough.

What is your honest opinion?

Your last line is interesting.I'm not sure that it was Mr Thaksin's plan for his first visit to the U.S.A. in nearly six years to be of "almost zero interest and significance".

That may be your view based on what actually happened, which, unfortunately for Mr Thaksin, was not the original intention.

Personally, I do believe he set out with the idea in his head that he would say "Look at me, I've got what you people said I couldn't get, a U.S. visa and now I'm going to show the world".

I suspect he imagined that his trip would be widely reported as it would, no doubt, have been in Asia, and the police would have to hold back the crowds in scenes reminiscent of Michael Jackson's forays into the public domain. Great Expectations indeed.

Sadly, for him at any rate, the expected support from his "Red Shirt" admirers was really rather minimal and the opposition, as tame as it really was, shocked his security team.

No doubt there were hurried meetings as to what strategy to employ in order not to lose any more of a

fast vanishing square face. His speedy exit from America speaks volumes.

Throwing out names of famous people has always been a habit of Mr Thaksin as if the mention of names like Kissinger, Mandela, Gandhi, ASSK etc somehow makes him seem larger than he actually is.

He does attract a following based on his wealth which is quite natural.

May I add that IMHO Thaksin has actually started to believe his own BS - that he and the red shirts are the true champions of Democracy and would be seen as such in the home of it. Problem is that those who are a bit more familiar with the concept don't see him in the same rosy light, but as just another 3rd world would-be dictator backed by a mob of thugs.

• Like 2

Not sure whether Thaksin actually believes his own PR or not. I would guess not.

That's normally a phase of megalomania.

My guess is that ha wants to strut about on the world stage to show that he's still a player, but the game has moved on, he's been left behind and will soon be another relic of the corrupt Asian despot era drinking tea in Zimbabwe with Mugabe, Hun Sen and Than She talking about the good old days like 3 octogenarian muppets.

Not sure whether Thaksin actually believes his own PR or not. I would guess not.

My guess is that ha wants to strut about on the world stage to show that he's still a player, but the game has moved on, he's been left behind and will soon be another relic of the corrupt Asian despot era drinking tea in Zimbabwe with Mugabe, Hun Sen and Than She talking about the good old days like 3 octogenarian muppets.

That would be 4

Moruya; I hope you are correct in your forcast, but if history repeats itself again, in Thailand, Thaksin will join the old "ex flavor of the month" gang back in the LOS. He will hold sway over a geographic area as well as a select group of gophers. His kind do not/can not trust their counterparts who have staked out this country into mini kingdoms, thus they beg, borrow, and steal as much as they can, without too much infringment on their counterparts.

In his mind he would be feted everywhere he went in the US.........he would need to be out of hls mind to not realize now that the game is up.

Unfortunately for everyone else.......he is out of his mind. Just like the idiotic officials that gave him a US visa.

Why the US bother to have an embassy in Thailand / Bangkok is beyond me when making certain comments and judgements.

They are not alone either !!!!

They appear to be living on another planet, time and again decisions are made that completely contradict what is going on here and as in this case the US Ambassador Kristie Kenney comes out with that outrageous statement in relation to granting the fugitive / convicted criminal ect. ect. a visa and that is was ok as it was issued based on non political reasons.

1) Well for those of us who know this is bullsh*t as indeed she will / should, it is so far off the mark based not only her time here, but of several years more via her predecessors, that he is nothing less than political wherever he is allowed to go and he is hell bent on using the Thai expats residing in these countries to publicise and forward his image of self, ( phoney ) importance back home and always incites trouble among the different groups wherever he goes.

It was a terrible judgement call by her / the US and an even worse one by him, boy did he get a reality check. thumbsup.gif

2) It should have been a non starter as soon as the application was made / came to light based purely on the existing records that I have highlighted in bold in paragraph 2

I could on and on regarding how the US embassy officials continually ignore the facts on the ground here as to what has and is still happening courteousy of this unprincipled individual who,s integrity was lost when he was wrongly allowed to keep his initial positiion as Premier of the country.

While some wiil say the followong is off topic, it is relevant regarding his status and background when a[[lying fo and being grantes a visa.

To remind those who sqy he is being victimised and politically misjudged re his intentions.

Contrary to belief among supporters he was never legally elected as he should have been lawfully barred from holding office and most certainly would have been if certain judges hadn,t been bought off and dishonestly voted in his favour.

His tearfully sucked everyone in sick.gif when saying it was an honest mistake speaks for itself when going over his record from then to the present day.

I await further comment from the US embassy on this highly controversial judgement and an apology to it,s US citizens they have given a hard time there and most importantly all genuine visa applicants of proven integrity ect .ect who ticked all the boxes and have still been refused for nothing more than flimsy excuses and reasoning.

I won,t hold my breath as the saying goes.

marshbags whistling.gif

P.S.

The following makes a good read for those who are not familiar with his background, politically.

http://en.wikipedia....in_Corp._Shares

Edited by marshbags

That would be 4

Ha ha ha! Indeed. Invective above maths.

May I add that IMHO Thaksin has actually started to believe his own BS - that he and the red shirts are the true champions of Democracy and would be seen as such in the home of it. Problem is that those who are a bit more familiar with the concept don't see him in the same rosy light, but as just another 3rd world would-be dictator backed by a mob of thugs.

Truth or lie just doesn't get into it. The man is, IMHO a psicopath; he will say and do anything that advances his own interests, period.

Moruya; I hope you are correct in your forcast, but if history repeats itself again, in Thailand, Thaksin will join the old "ex flavor of the month" gang back in the LOS. He will hold sway over a geographic area as well as a select group of gophers. His kind do not/can not trust their counterparts who have staked out this country into mini kingdoms, thus they beg, borrow, and steal as much as they can, without too much infringment on their counterparts.

Oh for Thailand to be driven by people who care for her

• Like 1

Well hardly an 'American Perspective'.

Just the the written perspective of one Tom Plate. Any you might care to note that his 'perspective' fails to mention many items needed to bring balance to his piece, and there are several points in his text which are close to untruthful.

Kindly explain "close to untruthful." I would have thought it either is:

A. Truthful, or,

B. Untruthful?

Just the the written perspective of one Tom Plate. Any you might care to note that his 'perspective' fails to mention many items needed to bring balance to his piece, and there are several points in his text which are close to untruthful.

A. Truthful, or,

B. Untruthful?

"Whatever Thaksin’s faults as a human being and as a political leader, he did not deserve undemocratic eviction and neither did Thailand. The negative consequences of this huge blunder by the Thai establishment are still being felt but even worse yet is that the elite seems in the main not to understand this."

Untruthful. Eviction from what? His home?

"

A. Truthful, or,

B. Untruthful?

"Whatever Thaksin’s faults as a human being and as a political leader, he did not deserve undemocratic eviction and neither did Thailand. The negative consequences of this huge blunder by the Thai establishment are still being felt but even worse yet is that the elite seems in the main not to understand this."

Untruthful. Eviction from what? His home?

"

If you reckon that's what it is, then you just run with that then. Perhaps the writer was referring to the coup, just an option to consider?
  • Like 1