Rowdy Rally Forces Thaksin To Cancel Meeting In Los Angeles

webfact

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, if I understand correctly, our dear fugitive, criminal on the run, self-exiled bail jumper was evicted?

He wasn't evicted, he was treated about the same as a talentless busker who can't sing, can't play an instrument and who's starving dog instils no sense of sympathy, he was encouraged to move along.

PM's Fugitive Brother

Thaksin ends visit, US on defensive

Fugitive ex-PM heads for Korea after sparring with yellow shirts and raising awkward questions for US over visa

Thaksin Shinawatra has left the United States without fanfare, having spent much of his time in America playing cat and mouse with the yellow shirts and putting his host in a somewhat awkward situation.

A phone-in was made to his supporters from South Korea, signalling an end to the US visit, which was marred by questions over whether US authorities ignored their own law, and by the return of the WikiLeaks ghost to haunt Washington.

The United States' permission for Thaksin to enter the country, now that his party's in power, has put the superpower's diplomacy under scrutiny. Critics pointed to the WikiLeaks-exposed documents that purportedly showed the US Embassy in Thailand once considered him a man unsuited for a US visa. The alleged embassy cable statement claimed Thaksin "may or may not have committed crime of moral turpitude" following the street turmoil in 2009 when the Democrats were in power.

The US Embassy here has never commented on anything emanating from WikiLeaks.

Anti-Thaksin Thais have staged protests both in Thailand and the United States. Complaint letters were written to American authorities including Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. Criticism of the US visa decision was also fierce online. The campaign prompted the embassy to take the unusual step of giving a public statement on how decisions to give approximately 50,000 Thais visas annually never have anything to do with politics.

Thaksin himself has admitted that US authorities did not want him to visit their country when the Democrats were in power.

In an interview with a Siamtown US news group in Los Angeles, he charged that foreign governments "who did not want to quarrel with" the then Thai administration acquiesced when asked to ban his entry.

Those agreeing with the US visa about-face insisted that Thaksin's conviction on criminal charges in Thailand, which should have triggered US immigration action against him, was politically motivated. This argument, however, did not quite address the question why the US government only changed its stand on Thaksin after his political party rose to power in Thailand.

Asked by Siamtown US to comment on allegations that his US visa was part of a "trade-off", Thaksin said: "People who don't know the truth talk a lot. Worse still, those who know are not quite smart. The first thing they should know is, the extradition treaty does not cover political cases. Mine is a political case."

Asked what was the "symbolic impact" of his US visit, Thaksin said: "I just want to show that I can go anywhere but Thailand."

He also taunted his political rivals for "becoming afraid of the ghost that they turned me into".

ASTV reports that the US authorities also became concerned about possible repercussions of his visit, so much so he was advised to keep a low profile and quietly leave the country. The reports could not be verified.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-21

Edited by Buchholz

Asked by Siamtown US to comment on allegations that his US visa was part of a "trade-off", Thaksin said: "People who don't know the truth talk a lot. Worse still, those who know are not quite smart

"Those who don't know talk a lot, worse those who know are not quite smart"

I will stop saying anything now :-)

Asked by Siamtown US to comment on allegations that his US visa was part of a "trade-off", Thaksin said: "People who don't know the truth talk a lot. Worse still, those who know are not quite smart

It is a rather quirky saying of his. blink.png Another Thaksin-ism for the archives.

The people that know the truth about the trade-off for granting his USA visa are not quite smart. huh.png

I presume the U.S. State Department know the truth about the trade-off. I presume his lawyer, Noppadon, knows the truth, as well... although he's not likely to reveal it and most assuredly, Thaksin himself knows the truth about it.

Edited by Buchholz

It is a rather quirky saying of his. blink.png Another Thaksin-ism for the archives.

The people that know the truth about the trade-off for granting his USA visa are not quite smart. huh.png

I presume the U.S. State Department know the truth about the trade-off. I presume his lawyer, Noppadon, knows the truth, as well... although he's not likely to reveal it and most assuredly, Thaksin himself knows the truth about it.

I believe Yingluck played a hand with Clinton but I bet she has no idea what she did. But she might be a, "worse those who know are not quite smart". Classic Dr Thaksin, convicted criminal and fugitive from justice.

PM's Fugitive Brother

Thaksin ends visit

Asked what was the "symbolic impact" of his US visit, Thaksin said: "I just want to show that I can go anywhere but Thailand."

If he just wanted to show that he can go to the USA, that could have been accomplished in just a day or two visit. Something with a larger crowd at an impressive venue that was well researched and much more suitable for either an ex-Prime Minister or a visiting dollar billionaire. Certainly would be the case for someone who was both.

If the visit was just show he could enter the country there was no need for the disastrous two week-long tour of seedy Thai eateries before crowds measured in the few dozens that was ultimately cut short in awkward embarrassment.

Edited by Buchholz

PM's Fugitive Brother

Thaksin ends visit

If he just wanted to show that he can go to the USA, that could have been accomplished in just a day or two visit. Something with a larger crowd at an impressive venue that was well researched and much more suitable for either an ex-Prime Minister or a visiting dollar billionaire. Certainly would be the case for someone who was both.

If the visit was just show he could enter the country there was no need for the disastrous two week-long tour of seedy Thai eateries before crowds measured in the few dozens that was ultimately cut short in awkward embarrassment.

Mr Thaksin,,,,,you are welcome in Thailand....they will even provide you with free accomodation.

How the Los Angeles Police Department saw things...

Er not really.It is a report (quite a good one) from Siam Town, the LA based channel for the Thai community in which, among other things, a rather impressive and long suffering office LAPD officer patiently explains the protest day's events.Interesting to see it's a rather patchily attended demo and also the references to redshirt contingent which I think you have accidentally forgotten to mention in your many many posts on this non-story.

How the Los Angeles Police Department saw things...

Er not really.It is a report (quite a good one) from Siam Town, the LA based channel for the Thai community in which, among other things, a rather impressive and long suffering office LAPD officer patiently explains the protest day's events.Interesting to see it's a rather patchily attended demo and also the references to redshirt contingent which I think you have accidentally forgotten to mention in your many many posts on this non-story.

I can think that the senior officer on the scene can speak for the department that he is a Sargent in.

Good to hear collaboration when he confirmed that there were no arrests that day, although Noppadon was announcing that there were 8 yellow shirts arrested.

"patchily attended" laugh.png actually translates to several hundred. The Police Sargent says right in the video, "It was a large demonstration."

It was certainly a lot more patchily attended by the Red Shirts, which btw I've never neglected to mention. I've pointed to their impressive numbers of 20, 30, even 50 at their various events during the Great American Flop Tour 2012 several times.

Good to see the latest of your over 20 posts for this non-story.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 2

Fairly poor research bv the officer if he keeps refering to Mr Thaksin as "The Prime Minister".

Well I think he was just being respectful in the American style where high titles last for life. If U.S. president Nixon had gone to prison, which is where he should have gone, the prison warden there would still call him Mr. President. Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Fairly poor research bv the officer if he keeps refering to Mr Thaksin as "The Prime Minister".

He was probably just going by what he saw with the signs at the scene. A reoccurring theme put out by the Red Shirts throughout the Grand Fail Expedition:

482035_329216990502609_535866937_n.jpg

Edited by Buchholz

He was probably just going by what he saw with the signs at the scene. A reoccurring theme put out by the Red Shirts throughout the Grand Fail Expedition:

482035_329216990502609_535866937_n.jpg

They cannot even spell his name correctly.

marshbags whistling.gif

With a long post, we want members to snip the quoted post, ie quote only the part of the other member's post that is relevant to the reply. However, it is not acceptable to snip the quoted post leaving parts of the post to change the meaning or "taking the piss" or the intended baiting of the snipped quoted post. Posts have been removed.

• Like 1

What many members fail to realize is that the same class war that is going on in Thailand also exists in the U.S. Hi-so Thais come here and start businesses. They continue their ways by exploiting cheap labor (mostly Isaan, but some illegal alien hispanics too) just like they did back home. They do not obey U.S. labor laws and make their workers work long hours for substandard wages. Until you understand the bitternesss that the majority feel toward the hi-so minority, you will never really understand the nature of this conflict. It is not just about money, it is the attitude the hi-so Thais have toward Isaan people; that they are somehow superior and the Isaan people are inferior and only there to serve them. The tables are turning and the hi-so people do not like the direction things are moving in. To an Isaan, red means hope for the future, a place at the table, a piece of the pie... The only way to stop it is to never hold another free election in Thailand, which the yellow shirts are certainly okay with.

• Like 1

What many members fail to realize is that the same class war that is going on in Thailand also exists in the U.S. Hi-so Thais come here and start businesses. They continue their ways by exploiting cheap labor (mostly Isaan, but some illegal alien hispanics too) just like they did back home. They do not obey U.S. labor laws and make their workers work long hours for substandard wages. Until you understand the bitternesss that the majority feel toward the hi-so minority, you will never really understand the nature of this conflict. It is not just about money, it is the attitude the hi-so Thais have toward Isaan people; that they are somehow superior and the Isaan people are inferior and only there to serve them. The tables are turning and the hi-so people do not like the direction things are moving in. To an Isaan, red means hope for the future, a place at the table, a piece of the pie... The only way to stop it is to never hold another free election in Thailand, which the yellow shirts are certainly okay with.

Theres the rub, Thaksin is also a hiso Sinothai who made a massive fortune off the back of all Thais including the people from Issan. He is a convicted criminal and is the creator of the Red movement and has manipulated the reds through mass media and propaganda to evolve his cult of personality. Therefore this, "red means hope for the future", is a future of more of the same but the new hi-so Sinothai with attitude, "towards Isaan people" will bleed the treasury dry and bankrupt their future.

Edited by waza
  • Like 2

You do realize that Yingluck and the criminal fugitive are the highest of the hi-so's and have screwed the poor out of more monies than you can pack in suitcases to the Olympics?
  • Like 1

So who are these Hi-So elite Thais that exploit Issanites by bringing them to the USA to work in their sweat shops?

There's lots of photos of the demonstrators posted throughout the three threads on this topic. Can you identify any of them as you describe?

Short of that, is there anything substantive to corroborate your rather bizarre claim?

So who are these Hi-So elite Thais that exploit Issanites by bringing them to the USA to work in their sweat shops?

There's lots of photos of the demonstrators posted throughout the three threads on this topic. Can you identify any of them as you describe?

Short of that, is there anything substantive to corroborate your rather bizarre claim?

Thai businesspeople in the U.S. exploit MEXICANS just like everyone else ... coffee1.gif

Indeed they do. Both red and yellow Thai business people in the USA.

Certainly the American business people in the USA (never heard who) that Thaksin ostensibly went to the USA to meet and consult with are participants in that practice.

I was just intrigued by the poster's bizarre tale of unnamed Hi-So Thais that are importing Issanites to exploit as unpaid employees in the USA.

As it is connected to the thread, it seemed to infer that the demonstrators in the USA were these Hi-So Thais and that the Issanites were the Red Shirts. If that was the case, there's the odd situation of having more employers than exploited employees.

Edited by Buchholz

Surely the "Hi-so elite Thais" are the ones who can afford $200-tickets, to "Talk with Thaksin" and get a photo-opportunity, and not the Red-Shirt supporters or peaceful-protesters against his visit who were all standing outside the venue ? wink.png

Good to hear collaboration when he confirmed that there were no arrests that day, although Noppadon was announcing that there were 8 yellow shirts arrested.

One wonders what Noppadon's source might have been, for this clearly-eroneous claim, about eight yellow shirts having been arrested, when the officer from the LAPD clearly states "nobody was arrested" ? It surely cannot have been a straight lie, intended to mislead the public back-home about Thaksin's apparent lack-of-popularity in the home-of-the-free, as Noppadon would never lend himself to such smears.

Curious also that the policeman, who appears to be an excellent example of a balanced fair officer in a democratic country, doesn't mention anyone in the LAPD having advised the fugitive criminal not to go to the meeting, as Thaksin himself claimed to be the reason for his no-show.

Indeed the officer said that he wasn't aware that Thaksin wasn't in one of the three car cavalcade, until after the cars had arrived.

Curious also that the policeman, who appears to be an excellent example of a balanced fair officer in a democratic country, doesn't mention anyone in the LAPD having advised the fugitive criminal not to go to the meeting, as Thaksin himself claimed to be the reason for his no-show.

Indeed the officer said that he wasn't aware that Thaksin wasn't in one of the three car cavalcade, until after the cars had arrived.

Good catch about the other aspect the LAPD video covered which revealed another bogus claim by Thaksin.

thumbsup.gif

So Thaksin wasn't in that convoy, afterall, and missed the showing of the bottom of the foot gesture. Too bad.

Oh well, I'm sure he got reports on it and coupled with the previous gig where he did come into face-to-face contact with the shouting jeers of Go To Jail were enough to convince him to cut the failed trip short.

Edited by Buchholz

Good catch about the other aspect the LAPD video covered which revealed another bogus claim by Thaksin.

thumbsup.gif

So Thaksin wasn't in that convoy, afterall, and missed the showing of the bottom of the foot gesture. Too bad.

Oh well, I'm sure he got reports on it and coupled with the previous gig where he did come into face-to-face contact with the shouting jeers of Go To Jail were enough to convince him to cut the failed trip short.

The man got sole!

thumbsup.gif

The man got sole!

But will he foot the bill, and give $200-refunds, to the hi-so red-shirts from Isaan, who had paid to talk to him ? wink.png

Well I think he was just being respectful in the American style where high titles last for life. If U.S. president Nixon had gone to prison, which is where he should have gone, the prison warden there would still call him Mr. President.

OK.....Cultural difference. In many other countries titles belong to the office and are not the property of past occupants.

thumbsup.gif

The man got sole!

But will he foot the bill, and give $200-refunds, to the hi-so red-shirts from Isaan, who had paid to talk to him ? wink.png

Hahaha!

Get them to toe the line next time something's afoot?

How do dirt-poor Issaners get to the US to be exploited by hi-so? It would seem to me that most Issaners resident in US have come via Pattaya or some other tourist area and are now married to US citizens, and as such, their potential for being exploited is minimal. However, exposure to meaningful and realistic democracy is likely to turn them away from the parasitic hippocrites like Thaksin who lay claim to it.

Before you start swallowing the "hope of the people" hogwash, you should take a long hard look at the red leaders happily fattening their bank balances as they feed off the public tit, being very well paid for positions for which they have no experience, training or aptitude.

• Like 1

thumbsup.gif

The man got sole!

Hahaha!

Get them to toe the line next time something's afoot?

Or simply shoe them away, boot-i-ful ! tongue.png

And that's how he treats his own supporters, let alone anyone who disagrees with him, no wonder he is lauded as a "Hero of the Grass-Roots" and "famous world statesman". wink.png

Edited by Ricardo