Ecuador President Says No Decision Made On Assange Asylum Request

News_Editor

Very good interview. There are some, not very nice people in this world and I do not mean Julian or the citizens of the U.S.

What gets me is all the people in this thread who have repeatedly said so many times “ America doesn't want him, America has no plans to extradite him “ yada yada yada yakety yak (to borrow one of Naam’s phrases ) when all along they can essentially easily borrow him from Sweden under the amendments to the extradition treaty without a formal extradition and then under NDAA he could be in military detention indefinitely. What happened to the " land of the free " where you no longer get as much as a fair trial?bah.gif

Edited by midas
  • Like 1

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good interview. There are some, not very nice people in this world and I do not mean Julian or the citizens of the U.S.

What gets me is all the people in this thread who have repeatedly said so many times “ America doesn't want him, America has no plans to extradite him “ yada yada yada yakety yak (to borrow one of Naam’s phrases ) when all along they can essentially easily borrow him from Sweden under the amendments to the extradition treaty without a formal extradition and then under NDAA he could be in military detention indefinitely. What happened to the " land of the free " where you no longer get as much as a fair trial?bah.gif

If America didn't want him they would say so. It is not up to members on here to categorically say that the do not want him, they are just blowing hot air. It is up to the U.S to say they don't want him and to date they have totally refused to do so. No officail statement from the powers to be to say they do not want him has been made. This would have been the total reason as to why Ecuador granted him his asylum request. Had the Americans given the Ecuadorians a pledge that they would not make a play for him or extradict him to the U.S then Julian would not have been granted asylum on the reason he requested. Julian would now probably be on his way to Sweden.

I assume you are aware that there is actually MORE evidence that Assange raped two women in Sweden than there is evidence that the USA wants to execute him? One has two victims/witnesses as a basis, the other just paranoia.

So...if simply believing the USA might execute him is proof enough for the Ecuadorans to give him shelter, then the testimony of two women who say he raped them should be more than enough for the Ecuadorans to turn Assange over to Sweden. UNLESS, of course, this has nothing to do with the FACTS of the case.

If America didn't want him they would say so. It is not up to members on here to categorically say that the do not want him, they are just blowing hot air. It is up to the U.S to say they don't want him and to date they have totally refused to do so. No officail statement from the powers to be to say they do not want him has been made.

Maybe, just maybe, Assange isn't important enough in the USA? He'll have to get in line behind the other hundred distraction issues this election cycle. Or, I'm sure Hillary can stop worrying about Syria & Iran to comfort the world that we don't want some creepy accused rapist. Seriously, Assange's ego should get its own postal code.

Edited by koheesti
  • Like 1

Since I am one of the proponents for jailing Assange, let me state here...I have never claimed there are not elements of the US government and citizenry that would not like the throw the book at poor Julian.

What I have always said is, using the literary metaphor, while the book is being read and the story line is being looked at, there is NO ACTUAL PROOF that any action has been undertaken to prosecute, arrest or extradite him from his London broom closet or anywhere else on God's green earth.

After the book is read and digested they may throw it at him, but I don't know that for a fact and neither does anybody else on this forum.

If America didn't want him they would say so. It is not up to members on here to categorically say that the do not want him, they are just blowing hot air. It is up to the U.S to say they don't want him and to date they have totally refused to do so. No officail statement from the powers to be to say they do not want him has been made.

Maybe, just maybe, Assange isn't important enough in the USA? He'll have to get in line behind the other hundred distraction issues this election cycle. Or, I'm sure Hillary can stop worrying about Syria & Iran to comfort the world that we don't want some creepy accused rapist. Seriously, Assange's ego should get its own postal code.

If he is not important enough then just say so, get a staff member to make a media release that they don't want him. The U.S have had plenty of time to do this starting well before the other items you mentioned. How hard would it have been to say Yes or No? If they had of he may very well have been in Sweden now, the only reason he is not is because of the U.S. Personally I do not like rapists but Julian has not been charged with rape. The Ecuadorian Government has invited Sweden to interview him at the Embassy if they really wish to and after that they could formally charge him if they have the evidence. You can actually charge someone in some countries without interview if you have sufficient evidence. (Australia).

My concerns and I believe those of the Ecuadorian Government are that if he was sent to Sweden and the allegations of rape were dropped or he was found not guilty he would then be extradited to the U.S where the death penalty stands and he could spend indefinate time or life in a military hell hole without charge. I wouldn't wish that on anyone (pedophiles excluded)

I agree with what he did with wikileaks and I am a supporter on this but if the U.S just come out and say they have no interest in him and will not extradite him from sweden then I say good send him to Sweden to fight the case there.

Why should The USA help out this guy in any way? He put a lot of people all over the world in danger. He is accused of sex crimes and he jumped bail to avoid being questioned about it. Why tell him anything that might give him any peace of mind? He is stuck in a tiny, windowless room, on a blow-up mattress eating cold English take-out food. Leave him in limbo. He is getting just what he deserves.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

If he is not important enough then just say so, get a staff member to make a media release that they don't want him. The U.S have had plenty of time to do this starting well before the other items you mentioned. How hard would it have been to say Yes or No? If they had of he may very well have been in Sweden now, the only reason he is not is because of the U.S.

It sounds like you are saying that if a minor State Dept official came out and said that the USA wasn't interested in extraditing Assange, then he would happily return to Sweden. WHY would Assange or his supporters take any USA gov't official at their word when they believe the USA is such an evil entity? No, any statement by anyone in the USA would have zero affect on what the conspiracy nuts believe. It would be a waste of time.

Personally I do not like rapists but Julian has not been charged with rape

But he IS wanted for questioning as he has been accused of rape by two women. After questioning there is a very high probability that he would be charged, THAT is why he has avoided returning to Sweden (hardly a puppet of the USA)

The Ecuadorian Government has invited Sweden to interview him at the Embassy if they really wish to and after that they could formally charge him if they have the evidence. You can actually charge someone in some countries without interview if you have sufficient evidence. (Australia).

My concerns and I believe those of the Ecuadorian Government are that if he was sent to Sweden and the allegations of rape were dropped or he was found not guilty he would then be extradited to the U.S where the death penalty stands and he could spend indefinate time or life in a military hell hole without charge. I wouldn't wish that on anyone (pedophiles excluded)

WHY is Ecuador even involved in this in the first place? Maybe they don't have extradition laws so he can freely spend the millions his foolish supporters have donated to him. I bet it'll buy a lot of cheap beer and hookers down in Quito.

I agree with what he did with wikileaks and I am a supporter on this but if the U.S just come out and say they have no interest in him and will not extradite him from sweden then I say good send him to Sweden to fight the case there.

I don't agree with what he did at all. He blindly released 250,000+ stolen, confidential documents without knowing what was in them. That IS NOT whistle-blowing no matter how you spin it. It IS dangerous and irresponsible.

If he is such a champion of transparency, let him give access to all of his private correspondence over the past 5 years or so. What is he hiding? There is likely some incriminating evidence in there about him bragging about "raping" those two sleeping women or ho0w deeply involved he was with stealing documents from people. IF he released all of his emails, etc, I would believe in what he claims to be about and swear to donate money to his cause. But he won't, because he is a creepy fraud.

Edited by koheesti
  • Like 1

If the US wanted him, then they would have to indict him and they would have to inform the country or countries where he is traveling. That would be, at a minimum, the UK, Sweden and Australia. They would probably have to inform Interpol. Is he on the Interpol wanted list?

Has Wikileaks found any cable traffic to show he is actually wanted? Do you think any secret documents would not attract some sort of attention and possible leaks, especially considering it would involve multiple countries.

The facts are relatively simple, there is no indication the US wants him or plans to charge him with anything. If they did, they would have brought a lot more pressure to bear on this case.

He is neither cunning or wily enough to evade a plan by the US to apprehend him.

Ecuador's record on human rights would indicate that they are looking for their 15 minutes of fame. The only countries that are peeved off at this point are the UK and Sweden.

The facts are relatively simple, there is no indication the US wants him or plans to charge him with anything. If they did, they would have brought a lot more pressure to bear on this case.

He is neither cunning or wily enough to evade a plan by the US to apprehend him.

Yes, the USA will send military helicopters deep into Pakistan to kill UBL who was being protected by the Pakistanis, but Assange thinks he'll be safe in Ecuador. No, this has nothing to do with the USA and probably everything to do with him stealing donations.

ABC News (Australia) today report that the Australian Government has now requested twice from the U.S what it's intentions are for Julian and twice it has failed to reply. It is like the U.S is giving Australia the middle finger and telling Australia to take a jump.

It is quite possible that the US government is still weighing its options and does not want to give a close ally a definitive answer as to Assange's fate.

or maybe they do not consider Australia a close ally and doesn't trust them. Considering it is the life of an Australian citizen don't you think Australia deserves up to date reports, if the shoe was on the other foot the U.S would be furious at being treated with such contempt.

It is quite possible that the US government is still weighing its options and does not want to give a close ally a definitive answer as to Assange's fate.

or maybe they do not consider Australia a close ally and doesn't trust them. Considering it is the life of an Australian citizen don't you think Australia deserves up to date reports, if the shoe was on the other foot the U.S would be furious at being treated with such contempt.

Well if the U.S refused to tell Australia what thier intentions are for Assange they definately would not have told Ecuador. This would only support Ecuadors fears in regards to his safety at the hands of the U.S and carried a lot of weight in the decision to grant him asylum.

Edited by softgeorge

Since it is an Australian citizen that is allegedly complicit in the theft of some 250,000 classified documents. can you not understand any reluctance to sharing information with anybody in Australia?

Having said that, I imagine there have been some discussions on the diplomatic level about this situation. Those of us on TV are not exactly privy to the innermost secrets of either government, now are we.

OZ ABC news tonight said our American Ambassador has been told that the yanks want Julian and that could they inform us discretely before they make their move. The whole world is going crazy when the Oz Labour Government supports the Capitalists blindly like the Libs did with Oz citizen David Hicks and leave one of our people to go it alone. I know when i had a problem in Indo they really couldn,t give a rats arse and had me down for jail then extradition to jail in OZ. I paid a bribe(baksheesh) and left.

ABC News (Australia) today report that the Australian Government has now requested twice from the U.S what it's intentions are for Julian and twice it has failed to reply. It is like the U.S is giving Australia the middle finger and telling Australia to take a jump.

Sounds not much different than what Assange has been doing to Sweden and the UK.

Let's not lose track that this is between Assange, Sweden, UK and now Ecuador. The US is only involved at this point in people's imagination.

I don't know how posters can slag off the Australian government given the following quote via CNN that "Assange has received 62 instances of consular contact in the last 18 months -- more than any other Australian in comparable circumstances," the spokesman said. "We don't expect him to be thanking us, but to suggest he didn't receive it is wrong".

More detail at: http://edition.cnn.c...ador/index.html

EDIT: It's surprising he's still alive, you would think that a country such as Iran would have assassinated him, so that the world would blame the USA.

Edited by simple1

WOW things are really heating up now internationally over this matterohmy.png

Foreign ministers from across the American continent will meet next Friday to discuss the impasse between the UK and Ecuador over Julian Assange.Twenty-three members of the OAS (Organization of American States) voted to have the meeting in Washington DC.The US was one of three to oppose it.rolleyes.gif

At emergency talks held by the OAS in Washington, US envoy Carmen Lomellin said a meeting of foreign ministers "would be unhelpful and harmful to the OAS' reputation as an institution".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19303615

and all this continual media coverage and the forthcoming movie is positive because it should at least give the public a better insight into the US powerbrokers mindset

Edited by midas

I had contact for what it was worth with our Consul in Bali. She came to visit me on the 23Dec asking me did We have TV etc and promising treats for Chrissy in two days time.I didnt hear from them till early Feb, when they were visiting a Kiwi, So if ya call that help than help is the wrong word. Tv what a laugh no clean water, reduced food(Scam), beatings, 10 to a cell,no probs. But getting my hopes up for Chrissy surprize must be a Diplomats inside joke. I expect Julian knows what Im on about.

Why should The USA help out this guy in any way? He put a lot of people all over the world in danger. He is accused of sex crimes and he jumped bail to avoid being questioned about it. Why tell him anything that might give him any peace of mind? He is stuck in a tiny, windowless room, on a blow-up mattress eating cold English take-out food. Leave him in limbo. He is getting just what he deserves.

isn't it customary to call it "regrettable collateral damage" when people are put in danger, maimed or killed for a "just cause"? huh.png

• Like 1

isn't it customary to call it "regrettable collateral damage" when people are put in danger, maimed or killed for a "just cause"? huh.png

because he exposed the murder of 12 innocent Iraqi civilians and two Reuters reporters by the USA government

and I think there are very many people around the world that want to know about such criminal activitieswhistling.gif

Edited by midas
  • Like 2

I am curious which Ministry in Australia contacted which Department in the US. If it was a politician, then an answer would not likely be forthcoming.

A non-response would likely mean that no decision had been made.

There are 250,000 documents to go through. Most of those amount to nothing worthy of an international arrest warrant. The ones seen as being the most damaging, are little more than embarrassment. Any substantial documents that did serious damage to US citizens would require substantiation. Has anybody been killed because of the leaks? Have any US citizens or employees been incarcerated unfairly because of the leaks? Was there any effort to give information to the enemy or was it a matter of simply making information available to everyone, including the US gov't that could then act to protect its interests.

• Like 1

Four Corners is a highly acclaimed documentary program on ABC Australian television ( a bit like Panorama in UK ).

Here is a very revealing and interesting look back by Four Corners last month at the details surrounding the sexual allegations

once again digging up the very many inconsistencies.

http://www.abc.net.a.../19/3549280.htm

Edited by midas
  • Like 2

Off-topic posts deleted. Further nonsense, baiting and personal remarks will earn posters a suspension.

This topic is NOT about the Swedish judicial system, broken condoms or the US executing him. Whatever you think about all this, it is irrelevant. The Ecuadorian government bought the arguments or some part thereof and granted him asylum.

Let's move on.

How will he get out of the embassy, for example?

I read the police put heat scanner so he can't hide in some box....would be interesting if they put copper plates in a box and something hot, the police opens the box and inside are just diplomatic documents.....Than UK would brake again international law.

It isn't the fact it's a heat source, it would have to be roughly body shaped, and at the correct temp. Oh and fool blood hounds.

therefor the copper plates.....that smears the reading.

For the blood hounds you could add a TShirt from him.

Or take these inflatable sex partners and fill it with 37 degree water and dress it with his smelly clothes, film it an let make the brits idiots out of themselfs.

(beside that it would funny it wouldn't help the cause at all)

I am curious which Ministry in Australia contacted which Department in the US. If it was a politician, then an answer would not likely be forthcoming.

A non-response would likely mean that no decision had been made.

There are 250,000 documents to go through. Most of those amount to nothing worthy of an international arrest warrant. The ones seen as being the most damaging, are little more than embarrassment. Any substantial documents that did serious damage to US citizens would require substantiation. Has anybody been killed because of the leaks? Have any US citizens or employees been incarcerated unfairly because of the leaks? Was there any effort to give information to the enemy or was it a matter of simply making information available to everyone, including the US gov't that could then act to protect its interests.

And real damaging documents about killing people: No matter what damage is done, such things should be investigated not made top secret. The people who are doing the crime are the bad guys not these who make it known.

The documents about Thailand were for sure damaging.....

• Like 1

The Four Corners post has been reinstated, however, let's not use it as an excuse to rehash the sexual allegations.

thank you Scott because it actually covers from past to present and most importantly an American lawyer

provides evidence of the existence of the grand jury!