2012 - Global Disaster Scares, Crash, Etc.

catweazle

Dear Forum members,

not sure if I have chosen the right forum for this topic, but since it is about family and children, I figured here would be the most true Expats to be found who really live a proper life here, work, have a work permit, family, kids, responsibilities and both feet on the ground, and not the ones who are just boozing and partying all day and night while hunting down anything that wears a skirt...

It's a question that really haunts me for a long time... since there is a lot of 2012 scare out there, books, movies, videos, websites, etc. all dealing with this 2012 Maya calender, end of the world stuff, etc. prophecies about WW3, pole shift, Planet X impact, etc... I just wonder what Expats here in Thailand think about our future and Thailand's future in general. While I am not believeing in a set date for total global destruction, I am somewhat worried about the whole global situation.

There are too many soups cooking all over the world right now and I wonder not if, but when all of this will finally boil over... Do you think that a future Europe on the brink of civil war, a failed Euro, an insolvent USA, war between Israel and Iran, the whole middle east fighting with whomever they think it's worth fighting, and the resulting impact on the global economy and the planet itself will have a major impact on Thailand and our lives here? What do you think the future will bring and isn't it most likely true that we are far better off here than back home if the s#!& hits the fan?

What are your preparations? I personally believe in being self sufficient, perhaps on a farm and in developing and nurturing personal skills. But of course there will be many out there who don't have the cash to just buy a farm or even an own small place with a garden to grow food... What will those people do if a global catastrophe happens?

Having barely survived the Tsunami back in 2004 I know that all we are taking for granted can be gone in an instant. I am not in paranoia, but would like to hear if there are Expats out there who are tackling similar thoughts.

Hope I am not laughed at, flamed, or branded an idiot to ask all this. I really would like to know how most of you see the future of us expats here in Thailand in these difficult times and in the (perhaps) even more difficult times that might follow.

Thanks a lot in advance for your input.

TBH, "I figured here would be the most true Expats to be found who really live a proper life here, work, have a work permit, family, kids, responsibilities and both feet on the ground, and not the ones who are just boozing and partying all day and night while hunting down anything that wears a skirt..." should not make a difference should it? People are people.

Anyways, I say that because I used to be the former now I am the latter :(

As for the sky is falling what am I gonna do? Nothing. I have enough worries about raising kids, money, school, work etc that if the world ends, there is not a thing I can do about it. If the Mayan's were so smart, they wouldn't have gone extinct now would they? Sorry I don't buy into prophecies from days gone by - too many flat earth types that see religion as a convenient place for answers because they haven't figured it out for themselves yet.

My advice, is if you are gonna go the old self-sufficient route, do so in the name of impending floods a la 2011. Not a natural disaster of global proportions, just a local one that is predictable in a sick sort of way.