Soi 2 Safety

toenail

Not forgetting the fire at 999 Disco in Pattaya in 2006. I can't remember all the details, but as far as I can recall eight people were killed and 50 injured and that happened as the place was opening at 8 PM, before any customers arrived, and I also recall there was reported to be only one door.

... or the fire at the Royal Jomtien Resort in 1997 (later the Jomtien Palm Beach Resort) where 91 people were either burnt alive or died jumping from the roof to escape the flames. I remember I could see the smoke from Naklua.

I seem to recollect that there are fire exits at the upper and topmost level of DJ Station last time I visited. I don't know if they are operational. Maybe I'll run a test next time I'm in town. I wonder where they come out to.

Yeh. I check those things before the places get too crowded.

I haven't been down to DJ Station in years--long before the Santika pub fire, but even back then, I used think about what would happen if there was a fire.

Back then, most of Soi 2 looked like it could burst in flames at any time!

I wonder where they come out to.

Without mentioning any place(s) in particular I'll say after the 2006 fire I went to look at the outsides of a few clubs in Bangkok, and many were at least partially obstructed. One had so much galvanized pipe and assorted junk leaning against the doors themselves that they would be worthless in an emergency. That WAS six years ago, but I still prefer a seat near the door I walked in through.

This has been a recurrent topic in some circles since that fire. Sad to say, even some SCHOOLS here chainlock the fire exits (I can see a crowd of teachers nodding now). There simply isn't awareness that the firecodes are written in blood. The choice is basically up to the individual whether or not to risk it.

I believe the rules and regulations are according to international standard. However, they are not being enforced.

Who is responsible for this? The mayor (governor) of Bangkok, or the chief of police? Shouldn't this be brought to their attention?

By the way, does anybody know the owners of the places on Soi 2, probably of DJ Station? What kind of people are they, that they don't care about fire safety?

Well, if you wanna go there, there're a lot of laws that don't get enforced here. And the reasons for THAT are ... well, I was going to say complex, but they're not. Unless it pays (someone) to enforce a law, or (someone) is embarrassed because of lack of enforcement of the law, it doesn't get enforced here. You can probably imagine for yourself what kind of people fill in the blanks there.

When enforcement issues come up in nightlife areas, there's an additional problem- there are very few 'real' official bars around, because liquor licenses basically haven't been issued for decades except to major super dooper moola international hotel chains and so forth. Who knows what DJ Station and the other Soi 2 locations REALLY are on paper? Who would be embarrassed if 'real' regulations were enforced? And what kind of attention would you attract if you made yourself the center of attention in trying to get public attention on these issues?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I did do a little checking in DJS last week. One door marked "Fire Exit" is padlocked but it is one of several doors with break glass bolts that looked as if they might work. I didn't run a full test.

Not sure I'm going back to the depths of Soi 2. The zimmer frame is getting more difficult to get up the stairs.

I believe the rules and regulations are according to international standard. However, they are not being enforced.

Who is responsible for this? The mayor (governor) of Bangkok, or the chief of police? Shouldn't this be brought to their attention?

By the way, does anybody know the owners of the places on Soi 2, probably of DJ Station? What kind of people are they, that they don't care about fire safety?

sorry to say, but I think you are extremely naive. Did you ever ancounter any Thai nightclub owner who would be concerned about his patrons safety ? He is concerned about the thickness of his wallet, and how to escape the law if something bad happens (and they are all well aware things can happen). That applies to all such establishments, not just those geared towards the gay crowd.

needless to say, unless things have dramatically changed, DJ-Station is one giant death-trap, particularly as it is usually packed to the guts every weekend from Friday to Sunday