Attention: Mexican Food Lovers (Burito House)

daeng1212

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, across from PTT station. We had lunch there today. Here is a pic of one of the burritos.

Mexican Grill, can you please give an idiots guide instructions as to its location.

Many thanks...

I can. Driving west on Suthep Road, turn left on Canal Road. Do a u-turn at the first place you can, which will be just past a PTT petrol station. Mexican Grill will be on your left a couple of hundred metres after you have made the u-turn.

Edited by Rasseru

mexican food is a strange animal. people have even more divisive opinions of it than of burgers or italian. you can't begin to compare burrito house to miguel's. according to old legend, burrito house was started by a thai who used to work in taco bell in the US. i love taco bell, but it's not reallly mexican food, rather an american fast food interpretation of mexican food. burrito house basically takes the taco bell recipes and uses higher quality ingredients, sort of a "homestyle" fast food. if you tried to make a big mac at home it would surely taste better than the ones at McDonalds. You get my drift. At the old location near the University they even had ripoffs of other US dishes, like Denny's Grand Slam breakfast. So surely it was someone who was familiar with low end US cuisine and wanted to bring it over here. I'm pretty sure there's a new owner now, though.

One gripe with burrito house is that they're really stingy with cheese. They barely dust each dish with the tiniest amount. You can buy a huge brick of cheddar in Makro for very little so there's no excuse for this (though true mex should have a mixture of cheddar and jack).

One recommendation - the taco sauce at Burrito House is amazing. You can buy a small bottle from them for 50 baht. It has no preservatives so goes back quickly, or I'd suggest getting a bigger bottle. Maybe you can freeze it. It's superb, goes well with everything. Except maybe ice cream. ;)

Miguel's is much more authentic mexican food, of the sort you'd find in real mexican restaurants in the States (and parts of Mexico). But there are many types of "real" mexican food. I find that most Europeans don't like this kind of mexican food and consider it "inauthentic" because they're used to some other interpretation which is more prevalent across the pond.

The mexican food at Art Cafe is absurd. It's sweet and sour sauce in a tortilla. Or at least it was the last time I tried it. Not even close.

There used to be a great place called The American Cafe (or something like that) on Tha Pae road that did the best mexican in town, but it's been long gone.

Okay, that's my anuncio de servicio por la publica regarding Burrito House, et. al.

• Like 1

There used to be a great place called The American Cafe (or something like that) on Tha Pae road that did the best mexican in town, but it's been long gone.

The America Restaurant was David Duke's original place in Chiang Mai more than 20 years ago. IMO, his current Mexican dishes at the Duke's are better than back then, but he only does them as specials once a week.

I agree with you that Miguel's is the most authenic Mexican cuisine around, but some of the other places have tasty Mexican style food that is not bad for the middle of South East Asia.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Actually it was a different America Restaurant. It was on Tha Pae (not Ratchadamnoen), just around the corner from you, Ulysses. It then became a jewelry store or a gift shop but still had the sign for a long time. They had amazing enchiladas. The owner was a blonde guy from San Francisco I think.

Actually you may have read me wrong (or I wrote unclearly) - I think Miguel's is great. The closest thing to Los Angeles style Mex in Chiang Mai. Haven't tried the other place on Canal that everyone's raving about though.

One of the nicest things in CM are the sonoran style tortillas you can get in the supermarkets. Very elastic and tasty. Easy to make your own mexican food. Just pick up some Danitas sauce, some chicken, tomatoes onions and cilantro, sour cream avocados etc from Makro and make a feast. Mexican is super easy to make so long as you have good tortillas and sauce.

My first post to ThaiVisa

I am surprised no one has mentioned Mexican Grill. I am only a customer and have no business association with them.

They recently relocated from Pai and are on the outer side of Canal Road south of Suthep Road.

The burritos are very TexMex and portions are huge. They offer an upsized version and that one is impossible to eat in one sitting.

Also have other TexMex dishes, ribs, Margaritas....

The food is good but the kitchen is very slow... so be warned.

Well the place in Pai closed because the Mexican food was terrible - I don't know any local that went there more than once or twice. Hope it's better in the new location but we don't miss it at all.

I had the burrito at Loco Elvis the other day and it was quite good. I've had other food from there before without being impressed but the burrito was pretty decent.

I agree, the big burrito at Loco's is good, not spicy but I searched around and found a bottle of Habanero Tabasco sauce, that saved the day.

They should put bottles of basic ranchera type salsa on the table. s.o.p. for Mexican food.

Actually it was a different America Restaurant. It was on Tha Pae (not Ratchadamnoen), just around the corner from you, Ulysses. It then became a jewelry store or a gift shop but still had the sign for a long time. They had amazing enchiladas. The owner was a blonde guy from San Francisco I think.

That is the same place that David the Duke owned. He sold it to the blonde guy who eventually lost interest in running the place and is still around teaching English in Chiang Mai

I am surprised no one has mentioned Mexican Grill. I am only a customer and have no business association with them.

They recently relocated from Pai and are on the outer side of Canal Road south of Suthep Road.

The burritos are very TexMex and portions are huge. They offer an upsized version and that one is impossible to eat in one sitting.

Well the place in Pai closed because the Mexican food was terrible - I don't know any local that went there more than once or twice. Hope it's better in the new location but we don't miss it at all.
Yeah..... I had a post all ready to go about a week ago

regarding this place & decided if I did not have anything good to

say I would just not post it.

But, since others have brought it up I have to agree with cloudhopper

Also as CMfoodie said kitchen is super slooooooow

food was just ok but not something I would go back for.

The margaritas we ordered came from a slush machine.

While it was nicely frozen which is rare in Thailand

it did not taste good at all. Probably cheap tequila

Miguel's on the moat is still the best Mexican we have found here.

Of course not the best we have ever eaten as we are from the US but the best here.

Funny though their branch on Chiang Mai Lamphun road is not as good?

We tried twice & both times it was not as good as the moat location food wise.

Pity as they have excellent parking & enclosed air con in a nice place.

Easier to get to than the moat location on most nights.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Yeah..... I had a post all ready to go about a week ago

regarding this place & decided if I did not have anything good to

say I would just not post it.

But, since others have brought it up I have to agree with cloudhopper

Also as CMfoodie said kitchen is super slooooooow

food was just ok but not something I would go back for.

The margaritas we ordered came from a slush machine.

While it was nicely frozen which is rare in Thailand

it did not taste good at all. Probably cheap tequila

Miguel's on the moat is still the best Mexican we have found here.

Of course not the best we have ever eaten as we are from the US but the best here.

Funny though their branch on Chiang Mai Lamphun road is not as good?

We tried twice & both times it was not as good as the moat location food wise.

Pity as they have excellent parking & enclosed air con in a nice place.

Easier to get to than the moat location on most nights.

Does anyone know if there has been any changes at Miguels recently? I went about 3-4 weeks ago and everything was a little different. The quesedillas were completely different with tomato salsa inside, were smaller and had a mushy texture with very little cheese. We also ordered the taco salad and this time the shell was corn and not flour. There were a couple of other things different as well. The one woman said they don't have Tabasco anymore which I found odd since they made it and sold it I believe. I did not recognize anyone in the kitchen or serving that I have known before. I did not see the owner around but in recent years he has not been around much.

Just wondering... Have been there perhaps 60 or more times over the years and it has been 100% consistent. It was a disappointment last time. Hope it was only a temporary glitch.

I went to Miguel's the last two nights and the owner was there as well as some old staff. I have noticed that they have some off days - like every other local restaurant - over the years, but IMO still far better and more consistant than anywhere else for Mexican food. My food seemed the same as it has always been, but, of course, they have a pretty big menu and I only had two of the items.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I went to Miguel's the last two nights and the owner was there as well as some old staff. I have noticed that they have some off days - like every other local restaurant - over the years, but IMO still far better and more consistant than anywhere else for Mexican food. My food seemed the same as it has always been, but, of course, they have a pretty big menu and I only had two of the items.

Thanks UG. Must have been an off day. Like I said, I didn't recognize anyone there that day. Some of those ladies in the kitchen have been there for many years. Will be back in the next few days.

I have been there several times as I really like there Nachos. The wife likes the quesedillas but found out that the quesedillas at Dukes were better. I prefer the Nachos at Miguels how ever so we do have to make allowances.

I was in there one night before they changed the ordering procedure and the manager was there. I ordered a Coke Zero and jokenly said they should replace it with Pepsi Max. It was all in good humor. Half way through my diner he came in and with a great deal of fan fare produced a Pepsi Max for me it was great fun for all.

Miguels is terrible. I had burrito there and it was super bland. Just plain awful. Both Salsa kitchen and Elvis are miles better.

Everyone has their favorites. I went to Elvis one time. I'll never go back. Food was terrible.

Same for me as well

To me, Diablo's is pretty good for what it is, but it is not authentic Mexican/Mexican American food. IMO, that is the case with most of the recommended places on this thread. Taco Bell is somewhat tasty and based on Mexican cuisine, but it is far from the real thing. However, we are in the middle of Southeat Asia, so you can't be too picky.

taco-bell-joe-raedle-getty-images.jpg?w=

I have seen a push cart on Tha pae road clalled "Taco Bells" have yet to try it.

Gotta give credit to that guy who is trying to make a living. I've seen him too, a number of times. Never seen anyone actually buy anything from him. What could you possibly get for 30-40 THB? A portion of cheese costs that here.

To me, Diablo's is pretty good for what it is, but it is not authentic Mexican/Mexican American food. IMO, that is the case with most of the recommended places on this thread. Taco Bell is somewhat tasty and based on Mexican cuisine, but it is far from the real thing. However, we are in the middle of Southeat Asia, so you can't be too picky.

taco-bell-joe-raedle-getty-images.jpg?w=

The Mexican food at Richard's other restaurant, 3 Little Pigs is very good also. The salsa is different and really nice.

• Like 1