Would You Pay 1 Dollar A Month To Still Use Facebook?

george

Would you pay 1 dollar a month to still use facebook?  

220 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Interesting....looking at the poll results at this moment in time with 199 votes around 91% would not pay and/or do not use Facebook while around 9% would pay. At least for many ThaiVisa members, results like this sure don't seem to place much value on Facebook

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand what you mean, and I agree with it to a certain extent. But as I asked before, has it done much good for Thailand since the root cause of corruption seems to be greed?

As a result of "greed" (i.e. profit motive / capitalism), Thailand has become an industrialised nation, which has advantages (higher life expectancy, lower infant mortality, education opportunities, millions more humans, etc) and disadvantages (e.g. corruption, pollution, less trees, etc).

I think Thailand is better as an industrialised country but if you would prefer to live in a world without greed, I believe there are a couple of tribes in the Amazon rainforest that still live the old-fashioned way... doubt they even have Facebook.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Haha. I'm not interested in Thailand remaining an undeveloped nation, and I'm no "hippie", if that's what you think.

I understand what you mean by "greed" bringing about development in Thailand. However, it's also "greed" that's preventing it from achieving it's full potential, and causing so many problems for the country.

Anyway, I wouldn't pay $1 a month to use Facebook, I rarely even use it now. A free alternative will be set up soon after with all of it's features (one that pays for itself with ads), and most will migrate to it I believe. The person who sets up the alternative will also be in to make a nice profit.

Interesting....looking at the poll results at this moment in time with 199 votes around 91% would not pay and/or do not use Facebook while around 9% would pay. At least for many ThaiVisa members, results like this sure don't seem to place much value on Facebook

As mentioned before, I don't think the people using TVF are very representative of computer/communications devices users as a whole. What is the average age of TVF members? It certainly isn't in the 20's or 30's and, maybe, not even the 40's. Not exactly the group whose life revolves around social media and touch screen phones.

I understand that one of the main ideas behind Facebook is to keep in touch with friends. If you don't have any friends and live your life in anonymity on this and that internet forum then perhaps Facebook is not for you in the first place.

A dollar a month...pffft.

The 'No's' are probably the same people that said 'I'll never pay to watch Television'

I would have lost contact with loads of good friends if it werent for Facebook. .....

Just to be pedantic- If a "friend" is "good", you wouldn't need facebook to keep in touch, you'd probably be using e-mail or snail mail. Aquaintances perhaps, but not "good friends", IMO.

BTW. I pay the cable company to watch tv, but no way I'd subscribe to an individual channel. To get rid of those boring ads, just record and fast forward over the ads!

• Like 1

Facebook is already making so much money from the ads that they display, so why does a $1 charge even need to be mentioned? Guess greed knows no boundaries.

Greed, for lack of a better word, is good.

PS: Adam Smith explained this in more detail in The Wealth of Nations (1776) if you don't believe me.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Has it done good in Thailand? I'm alright with my life here but just thinking about all the corruption and other things which stem from "greed".

The modern world as we know it all stems from "greed".

Prior to greed (the motive for personal profit) which really took off with the industrial revolution (and has been with us ever since), life was a constant battle for survival with life expectancy of 20 - 30 years and infant mortality rates of 40 - 50% (not to mention that "life" for most people was not exactly a good laugh.

Obviously some of the less desirable of today's industrialised world are linked with greed, because everything is linked with greed, because without greed we would have nothing (not literally but nearly literally as few of us alive today could ever have even existed without greed).

Greed is good.

PS: I am on my computer so my automatic iPhone signature will not show below asking you to forgive any typos, but please do so (as well as any other nonsense in my post above) because I had a (small) bottle of Singha this evening (while watching the football) and hence I am rather drunk.

Speak for yourself. If "greed" was the only motivation in people's lives, there would be no nurses, for starters, as no amount of money could make people do that job without some higher motivation. I'm sure there are plenty of other jobs like that around too, plus many hundreds of thousands ( ? millions ) that "volunteer" for no financial reward.

• Like 2