Black Tint Film On Car, Advices ?

JohanBKK

I think i will order 60% on front and 80% on all the other windows.

They quoted 8100 Baht for Lamina for my Honda Accord.

That really is quite dark.

It's not that dark, just look at the sample...

...it is to dark...maybe if you look at the sample at the shop,it may look good,but at night,or dark parking,you are looking for a trouble...

...I've had a 3M 60% sides and 40% front in the Audi and this was already pushing the limits...but I may still do the same on my new Ranger,that I've just got today...YeaHaa!!

Edited by funcat

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think i will order 60% on front and 80% on all the other windows.

They quoted 8100 Baht for Lamina for my Honda Accord.

...it is to dark...maybe if you look at the sample at the shop,it may look good,but at night,or dark parking,you are looking for a trouble...

...I've had a 3M 60% sides and 40% front in the Audi and this was already pushing the limits...but I may still do the same on my new Ranger,that I've just got today...YeaHaa!!

I was joking, the sample always looks too light...

Hey get the Crystalline film, it's great.

I was joking, the sample always looks too light...

Hey get the Crystalline film, it's great.

I sure will look at that...it's costly,but Thailand is a "cruel heat" country,so it should be a good thing for a long time investment...if one want to stay "cool" smile.png

I got real dark tint.. 60% and i think its a bit too dark at times. Before i had 40% on the other car and no problem. This time my gf wanted 60% because 40 left through a lot of heat. I feel the difference in heat. But also see the difference of vision. So both have pro's and cons

Thought I had sent this yesterday, but it simply disappeared:

Purchased a used Nissan and decided it was too hot inside. Went to a shop who had Lamina in 3 levels of darkness, amongst other brands. Had the mid-level applied, sorry I forget the %. Immediately noticed that at dusk the side view mirrors were virtually invisible, couldn't see motorcycles even with dim lights. Tried cutting out a piece of Lamina blocking the mirrors, but it looked weird and simply wasn't the greatest. Total cost Bt 2,600 for 6 windows (including 2 small ones) no charge for cutting out a piece.

So had the Lamina removed on the front 2 windows and replaced with the clearest level. (I'll call it 1 of 3.) All is great and the charge was Bt 1,150. When looking at the car from the side, very little difference is seen except one can see a bit more through the front side window. Did not consider film for the windshield since maximum visibility is required.

The store advised not to add film to the rear window because then couldn't use the heating (wiring in the window) to defrost. The store is in Chiang Mai, Hyatt Autoway, across from the railroad station park, 444/3 Charoen Muang Rd. Owner/Mgr Khun Young and complete family and he speaks English fluently. There are 3 shops here side by side so need to ask for Khun Young to ensure you have the correct shop. Service was excellent, speedy, advice was provided, and quality was excellent.

I tried a piece of 95% black film that the guy at Honda gave me for free to try it at night.

I was driving and i used that piece of film on my window. I couldn't see ANYTHING outside.

I was going to order 80% on front and back and then 95% on side windows. VERY BAD IDEA.

Now i'm again considering the 60% on front and back and 80% on side windows.

Or another idea, going with the 95% on side windows but cut a little piece of film to keep it clear at 100% so i can see the mirror perfectly and still have the tint i really want. But that's still bad if someone is near my car at night.

Take into consideration that i don't use my car at night very much, but i do use my car in dark parkings.

I can't believe with the level of technology we have that nobody could create a film totally perfect that permit 100% privacy and absolute vision at night.

i tinted mine @ a shop in minburi.

3M

Front: 40 %

Side (Front): 60 %

Back (2 row of back seats + rear): 80 %

80% is really important, there are times when u need to leave things in the car (rear seats), and its just that little harder for the theives to peep into the car.

What is the thai law for tinted windows ?

There isn't any Thai law that's to do with driving unless it's for the BIB tea money or involves drugs.

The law says 40% maximum on any window.There has been a crackdown several years ago already. So what's the average time span between crack downs?

@ Semper the way they check it is by sliding some tool over a winded down side window which sends a light beam,the other part of the tool detects how much loss there is through the window.

To the OP, I can almost guarantee that you will regret putting 80% black film on your side windows, especially if you intend to also put a film on your windscreen,since you will not be able to look in your side mirrors at night.

You don't drive at night you say, but you realise that it is dark at 7PM don't you.

I've had a 3M 40% front and 60% the rest...perfect during day time,but still a little problem at night...I just got a new car,so I'm still thinking about it and leaning for putting 15% in front and 60% rest...

BTW,'mogandave' mentioned the 3M Crystalline,I've ask about it and the guy said there is a problem with it in Thailand,cracking or something,he could not explain exactly,but at his shop it's not available...I will ask at other places as well..

The other option will be putting the mirror type film,which allows to go less % and still be not seen inside,but I don't like that look...

...now,if you put to dark film on the sides (like 80%) and not much in front,there will be a big difference between them and the eye has a problem to quickly adjust,so that' another thing to consider...

Hi Johan,

many of the window films are different. From manufacturer to manufacturer, colours and shades vary but can produce the same results depending on the quality of the film, and what technology is used to make it. A 20% grey reflective film will look completely different from a 20% carbon black film. The reflective will offer better heat reduction, but the carbon film will look clearer. It is a personal choice!

Some window films will block gps, or smart pass on the tollways. many things you need to consider and ask.

If you are worried about too dark at night, ask for some samples to check at night.

I am the owner of one of the largest window tinting companies in Thailand and stock 70 different types of films. If you needed any help or info either PM me or visit SolarKool.biz we also offer a mobile fitting service in Bangkok and Pattaya.

Discount offerered for Thaivisa members just mentioned it when calling.

• Like 2

I've got my tint.

POP05 on sides and POP20 on back and front.

POP05 is 90%

POP20 is 80%

http://laminafilms.c...ilm&cate=ps

On the front ? w00t.gif

Well... He wants to drive with no visibility at all. His call, his life.

I just hope I will not share the highway with him, considering that he is also prone to speeding and seems to have troublesome brakes (see post on dysfunctional brakes).cheesy.gif

I uploaded a few pictures of the car with the film on it.

Wow, that's really not a good idea at all, unless you are driving exculisively in bright sunshine and take a cab as soon as it gets dark or cloudy. One would hope that the BIB put a stop to such a mindless move and I am not talking about filling their pockets, but not allowing someone to drive in such a mindless setup. Yeah, I know - fat chance!