Domestic Flights Without A Passport

djayz

I have to renew my passport and won't get the new one until early October. If I want to take a domestic flight can I check in without a passport? I have a proper (i.e. real, official) Thai drivers license with photo, name and passport number. Would this suffice as id for a foreigner checking in on a destination within the Kingdom?

Thanks!

Just curious, what Embassy or Consulate retains your passport while in process of getting a new replacement?

Mac

This is a good point, I'm guessing you may be British due to the ridiculous long wait for a replacement :-)

If you are British then you are permitted to send only a photocopy to Hong Kong and keep the original.

But in answer to your question, I'm not too sure about a foreign national but my Thai Mrs turned up at the airport for a domestic flight and forgot her ID card... I was able to scan it and email it to her at the internet cafe and they let her board.

Just curious, what Embassy or Consulate retains your passport while in process of getting a new replacement?

Mac

I'm on a Republic of Ireland passport. The info on the website is misleading. Went to the Consulate this morning (expecting them to retain my current passport) and they offered me "express service" (2 to 3 weeks) and I could keep my passport (they photocopied it and sent the copy with the application). None of this was printed on the application and I wasn't informed of it last week when I called them...

Anyways, thanks to all of you for your feedback.

Recently had the same issue. I photocopied my passport, and had my English driving licence. Just to be safe I emailed air asia to check and they sent a reply saying these forms of I.D. would be fine. I printed out the reply and took that with me just to cover my bases. However I didnt need it as the driving licence and photocopy were enough!