Sin Tax Increases Applauded: Thailand

webfact

Sin tax increases applauded

Puangchompoo Prasert

The Nation

30188900-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Activists yesterday applauded the government's move to raise the sin tax on cigarettes and liquor as helping to reduce social ills in the country.

"More than half of offences are related to alcohol consumption," said Thirapat Kahawong, head of an antialcohol network.

He was among 30 activists showing up at the Excise Department to express support for the government's decision.

Jadet Chaowilai, an adviser to the Network of Alcohol Victims, pointed out that the move would reduce injuries, disabilities and deaths caused by drinking.

"The move is for the good health and wellbeing of people," he said.

The tax rate will rise to Bt350 from Bt300 per litre, resulting in the price of white spirit going tup to Bt150 from Bt120. The rate for imported whiskey was set at Bt400 per litre.

For cigarettes, the hike will see an increase of between Bt6 to Bt8 per packet of eight local and imported brands.

According to a study commissioned by Thai Health Promotion Foundation, the higher cigarette price will reduce the number of Thai smokers by about 0.5 per cent.

Today, Thailand has been home to about 13 million smokers.

"The number of smokers should drop by between 60,000 and 70,000," the foundation's deputy manager Supreeda Adulyanon said.

"We will have to introduce other measures too such as limiting the availability of cigarettes," he said.

Although it is widely said that the hike would significantly boost the government's revenue, Supreeda said the sin tax was dwarfed in the face of damages caused by the consumption of cigarettes/liquor.

"The government has now had shouldered huge financial burden from providing treatment to liquor/cigaretterelated illnesses," Supreeda pointed out.

Action on Smoking and Health Foundation Thailand secretary general Dr Prakit Wateesatogkit urged the government to increase cigarette tax every year in line with inflation rate.

The last hike took place more than three years ago.

Wuttisak Seena, a smoker and a drinker, did not like the higher tax rate though. "It hits lowincome people hard. The higher price won't really stop people from drinking and smoking because those habits have already become a part of our lives," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-23

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is shocking to treat the poor like this.

These people have few pleasures in life. No cinemas, no bowling that they can visit or afford.

Satellite TV is unaffordable

It's a disgrace when all other household costs are rising too and the vast majority have no increase in income to offset it.

Shame on you PTP

Hmmm - so your now advocating the government sets up some sort of scheme to increase the incomes of the lowest paid in society.

Edited by Orac
  • Like 1

These people have few pleasures in life. No cinemas, no bowling that they can visit or afford.

It's a disgrace when all other household costs are rising too and the vast majority have no increase in income to offset it.

Shame on you PTP

Hmmm - so your now advocating the government sets up some sort of scheme to increase the incomes of the lowest paid in society.

I'd like to see the Dems do a study of farmers' real income.

If you are on a low income,smoke and drink, I'd say someone is missing out on something, a little common sense dictate that unless you can afford this stuff don't use it, they're now bleating in OZ that alcohol is worse than cigarettes, which it is , I've never seen a smoker being antisocial , so one can look forward to a nice run to the local with the mates in 2080 for a pint of water and chips. Only trouble is I'll be dead by 2014coffee1.gif .

A lot of poor people voted for this bunch and all they heard was what they were going to get from the government not a word what the government was going to take. Theis is the party who gave us 2PM closing times folks.

"For cigarettes, the hike will see an increase of between Bt6 to Bt8 per packet of eight local and imported brands."

This is just a way to raise revenue. There is no way someone will stop smoking one of the most addictive substances known, for a measly Bt6-8. If you want to stop people from smoking, do what they did in New York City. Raise the price of a pack of cigarettes to Bt360. Of course, that will open up a whole new black market for tobacco smugglers.

The other thing is to be consistent about the message against smoking. I remember watching a movie on TV where they blurred out the cigarette as it was being puffed. Immediately after the movie the nightly news went on, and the first thing they showed was a police official looking over a crime scene while puffing away on a cigarette.

I agree alcohol and smoking are bad, but people should be allowed to do so. But then they have to pay for their own sickness and stuff resulting from it. So in a way if the extra tax is for healthcare of smokers its ok.

• Like 1

Again a way to get more tax-money to cover costs of wrong-used expenses and bribes. This is not the way to get users off addiction and a certain class shall not be cured at all by higher taxes. And the by the "activists" mentioned offences should better be reduced by more effective laws including a proper enforcement of them...............

• Like 1

I agree alcohol and smoking are bad, but people should be allowed to do so. But then they have to pay for their own sickness and stuff resulting from it. So in a way if the extra tax is for healthcare of smokers its ok.

well if you think it thru, you would agree with:

don't treat someone sick who once smoked if he has no money, let him die.

don't help people with car accidents if they were too fast

don't help you if one of your weights fall on your leg

don't help people with HIV because they knew the risk before

• Like 1

well if you think it thru, you would agree with:

don't treat someone sick who once smoked if he has no money, let him die.

don't help people with car accidents if they were too fast

don't help you if one of your weights fall on your leg

don't help people with HIV because they knew the risk before

If there is no tax on smoking then why would everyone has to pay for the sins of a few.. so yea either tax or let them pay more for healthcare.

Car accidents when going to fast.. sure why not make them pay for it.

Sure if i drop a weight on my leg and if its called a high risk (its not) and if i have no insurance (i have) dont treat me why would anyone else has to pay the bill for me.

HIV.. not really agree there unless it really can be proven like with smoking that it is high risk.

• Like 1

Shame on you PTP

Yes, of course, the approx 20 million people close to or on the subsistence level , are crying out for satellite TV and bowling lanes above all else..................

The government makes a perfectly sensible fiscal and social health decision and for you it is a disgrace and a shame on them.

The constant linkage is predictable and boring.

• Like 1

The additional revenue will be spent on Health and Education, I trust?

Of course! It will be used to make some educated Shinawatras bank accounts more healthy.

Yeah right , they siphon the funds directly out of the tax revenue stream unopposed and unabashed........

Of course! It will be used to make some educated Shinawatras bank accounts more healthy.

Yeah right , they siphon the funds directly out of the tax revenue stream unopposed and unabashed........

Quite honestly, I wouldn't put it passed them......

not unopposed...but the opposition is weak

Shin taxes just like when "Tax Sin" was in office before.

An excuse for getting more tea money into police hands,

and then back up the food chain to the bosses,

by letting those caught, as normal, breaking those laws,

Payup or else, and get off.

My names not Lastnight. You governments have been using the same yarn for years, you want more so you take from the weak.

Don't bullshit us by trying to pull the wool over eyes. You can only tax to a point, then black market returns, dont you ever forget that.

Shame on you PTP

Yes, of course, the approx 20 million people close to or on the subsistence level , are crying out for satellite TV and bowling lanes above all else..................

The government makes a perfectly sensible fiscal and social health decision and for you it is a disgrace and a shame on them.

Have you ever lived in a Thai village and watched the youth turn to glue and drugs out of boredom? Lack of work?

I think not

How about people consuming sugar, salt,tea and coffee, medication, msg, fat, fast food? And how about those who think ketchup is a vegetable?

How about people consuming sugar, salt,tea and coffee, medication, msg, fat, fast food? And how about those who think ketchup is a vegetable?

I always eat french fries with ketchup as vegetables are healthy

Shame on you PTP

Have you ever lived in a Thai village and watched the youth turn to glue and drugs out of boredom? Lack of work?

I think not

villages??? A lot of them in Bangkok and we lost 2 people for use of narcotics....

If the sin tax works why not just tax YaaBaah?

Do you mean americans?

The ketchup as a vegetable controversy refers to a proposed United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food and Drug Administration directive, early in the presidency of Ronald Reagan, that would have reclassified ketchup and pickle relish from condiments to vegetables, allowing public schools to cut out a serving of cooked or fresh vegetable from hot lunch program child-nutrition requirements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketchup_as_a_vegetable

• Like 1