Excise System On Cars Next In Line For Adjustment: Thailand

webfact

With import taxes dropping on imports from ASEAN automobiles by 2015 (SOURCE) the average consumer won't notice the government taking advantage of the AEC (free trade) benefits. The disappearing additional cost in the form of an import tariff will be replaced in the form of an excise tax. Prices should stay the same as the benefit to the free trade agreement is taken from the Thai consumer and given to the government.

This is very true,

An excise tax in an economic terms is an inland tax ie a tax on locally produced goods http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excise Thailand have used this terminology as an additional import duty. This means you pay Customs duty, excise duty and vat on some imported goods. When they have free trade aggreements like with Australia and Asean in 2015 then the only duty that is reduced is the Customs duty. Like earlier stated negative revenue loss

AEC is overhyped nonsense. Customs duty on almost all ASEAN origin products is zero already. and the rules of qualification will still apply in 2015/6. The tax burden will not change.

Statement: As a used car dealer in Pattaya i can confirm: New and Secondhand car prices in Thailand are crazy! Customers always complained us about our sell prices, but we are not be able to sell cheaper, because the Local market is that way. Stay in Switzerland now until September, bought several used cars in the last weeks here, some for less than 10% what they asking for the same model in Thailand. It drives me crazy as a dealer in LOS to pay high prices for cars, what we usually get for peanuts in my country. But noone can change that. If we stay in LOS, we have to accept their prices, even if we don't like it. There is no other way, unless we move back to our home country (which i maybe consider to do so). But in another way, we should consider also that insurance, roadtax and labour for repairs, in LOS still very cheap in compare with the European countries. In Thailand, manything can be fixed for small money, what we usually trowed away in Europe.

• Like 1

Prices in the USA have always been cheaper than most other countries. Same with Gas (petrol)

Most western countries now tax vehicles on their CO2 emissions and Thailand could do the same. However they do have a problem with older vehicles. We have all followed vehicles belching out smoke, what would they do about these.

In western countries they woulld be taken off the road but its not so easy in Thailand.

+ 1 but TIT

Cars produced in Thailand are global quality. Pickups and small cars are also competitively priced.

Compared to what? Certainly local build Japanese cars are NOT the same quality as Japanese build Japanese cars!

Competitively priced? No, certainly not comapred to the USA.

Yes absolutely correct. I lived in Japan for 18 years and know the difference btw Jpnse built cars in Japan versus cars

manufactured in Thailand.

Secondly, the retail pricing of cars in Thailand are higher i.e. the sticker price of

Corolla/Altis was 15% higher than a US Toyota dealer in Hawaii and Hawaii is significantly higher compared to the rest of the 49 states.

I have a 2010 2.5 Hilux J (tacoma) truck, the cheapest model avail. in Thailand and I compared it against the cheapest Tacoma

model which included the airbag and defroster and still the US model was about 15% lower than the Thailand Hilux J model.

The cheapest Tacoma in the US is currently $17,125 (THB539K)

The cheapest Vigo in Thailand is currently THB507K ($16,095)

The Vigo also gets a diesel engine as opposed to the POC gas-burner in the Tacoma.

Far and away, most of the Japanese cars sold in the US are manufactured in the US.

To be clear, I did not say cars here were cheaper or better or that the specifications matched the specifications of cars in other markets.

What I said was that the cars produced in Thailand are global quality and that the pickups and small cars were competitively priced. I am not sure how others measure quality, but I’ve had four pickups since I’ve been in Thailand and they were all trouble free. Also, the Corolla is not really what I conceder a small car in Thailand, but if you look at the Mazda 2, the Fiesta, the March and others in the sub compact category, those cars are comparably priced and often more nicely appointed than similar cars in other markets. So what does a 4WD Tacoma with a 3L turbocharged engine or a Corolla with leather seats cost in the US? Oh, that’s right, they’re not available

They tax the heck out of bigger cars and cars with bigger engines so those cars are much more expensive, but those are cars are for rich people that can afford to pay it. If you can’t afford a bigger car, don’t buy one.

1997 UK All cars to be fitted with Airbags

July 2004 LAW all new cars must have ABS.

Here only the most expensive top models have these.... The brand new Chevy Sonic here from this month, only the top of the range LTZ has these, all the lower models have not, as with most small cars here, also goes with pickup here..

Just as it is the newest the Sonic price is about the same, but in UK has bigger engine 6 speed gearbox, ABS and 10 airbags,.even a Turbo diesel within the Thailand price range..

Labour is much cheaper in Thailand

Edited by ignis

Cars produced in Thailand are global quality. Pickups and small cars are also competitively priced.

Compared to what? Certainly local build Japanese cars are NOT the same quality as Japanese build Japanese cars!

Yes absolutely correct. I lived in Japan for 18 years and know the difference btw Jpnse built cars in Japan versus cars

Secondly, the retail pricing of cars in Thailand are higher i.e. the sticker price of

Corolla/Altis was 15% higher than a US Toyota dealer in Hawaii and Hawaii is significantly higher compared to the rest of the 49 states.

I have a 2010 2.5 Hilux J (tacoma) truck, the cheapest model avail. in Thailand and I compared it against the cheapest Tacoma

model which included the airbag and defroster and still the US model was about 15% lower than the Thailand Hilux J model.

The cheapest Tacoma in the US is currently $17,125 (THB539K)

The cheapest Vigo in Thailand is currently THB507K ($16,095)

The Vigo also gets a diesel engine as opposed to the POC gas-burner in the Tacoma.

Far and away, most of the Japanese cars sold in the US are manufactured in the US.

To be clear, I did not say cars here were cheaper or better or that the specifications matched the specifications of cars in other markets.

What I said was that the cars produced in Thailand are global quality and that the pickups and small cars were competitively priced. I am not sure how others measure quality, but I’ve had four pickups since I’ve been in Thailand and they were all trouble free. Also, the Corolla is not really what I conceder a small car in Thailand, but if you look at the Mazda 2, the Fiesta, the March and others in the sub compact category, those cars are comparably priced and often more nicely appointed than similar cars in other markets. So what does a 4WD Tacoma with a 3L turbocharged engine or a Corolla with leather seats cost in the US? Oh, that’s right, they’re not available

They tax the heck out of bigger cars and cars with bigger engines so those cars are much more expensive, but those are cars are for rich people that can afford to pay it. If you can’t afford a bigger car, don’t buy one.

Not exactly true. The cheapest Ford Fiesta or Toyota Vios in Switzerland cost about 380'k (in Baht). In Thailand it cost much over 500'k BTW a Vigo you can't compare with a Tacoma.

For example a new VW Scirocco or Mini cost 4 x the price than in Germany. Only local built cars are a little bit cheaper, but not everyone want drive a "riceburner".

Edited by stingray
  • Like 1

"She said the existing tax incentives did not work as envisaged by the department. For example, those who drive passenger cars that could run on E85 (fuel that is 85 per cent ethanol) or E20 use E10 instead."

I can´t imagine why because E85, and E20 for that matter, is made available in every gas station in Thailand. NOT!

Edited by Nana

Are these tax incentives not already doomed at the beginning because people are aware that 85 % ethanol damages motors on the long run?

After all, the average Thai wants his motor to last long...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25936782/ns/business-consumer_news/t/mechanics-see-ethanol-damaging-small-engines/

Rick Kitchings, the mechanic in Georgia, said consumers simply should insist on pure gasoline for their small utility engines.

“Theoretically, avoid ethanol,” he said. “Avoid ethanol.”

But I think the cost of ownership in the US makes up that 15%. Expensive mandatory insurance, high labor costs for maintenance, expensive registration, smog certificates, high depreciation, and if you ever get a traffic ticket. In some cities, just parking the car costs a few bucks.