Neil Armstrong, First Man On The Moon, Dies

cdnvic

Neil Armstrong, First Man On The Moon, Dies

220px-Neil_Armstrong_pose.jpg

(CNN) -- Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, has died, his family said Saturday. He was 82.

"We are heartbroken to share the news that Neil Armstrong has passed away following complications resulting from cardiovascular procedures," Armstrong's family said in a statement obtained by CNN affiliate WKRC.

Armstrong underwent heart surgery this month.

"While we mourn the loss of a very good man, we also celebrate his remarkable life and hope that it serves as an example to young people around the world to work hard to make their dreams come true, to be willing to explore and push the limits, and to selflessly serve a cause greater than themselves," his family said.

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t1

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps landing on the moon today seems not such a big a deal to those who grew up with playstations in their hands, but to generations, at the time is was and still is an amazing event.

Too true - I'm 49 and the Apollo missions were as big as things got when I was a kid; even hearing about them now and seeing his name on the TV sends shivers down my spine.

Sorry to sound like an old fart, but I'm not sure we will see the like of this man, and his colleagues again.

I hope the US gives him a massive send-off (and keep any politics out of it).

A few posts have been removed from view as they were discussing moderation. Which is against forum rules.

As a note, this is being posted in the World News sub forum. So topics that don't apply directly to Thailand are permitted here....obviously.

If you think about the type of tech they were using at the time he made the landing - it is mind blowing. They had the right stuff - and it all came from the heart. I remember the summer of 69 like it was yesterday. We had a party line phone and still used a tube set B/W tv. That mission moved the whole of mankind into the future we know today.

Neil Armstrong truly did go where no man had gone before, and with him, he took the hopes and dreams all of a generation. He also shared a trait of his generation that seems to be lost ... humility. Like many of "The Greatest Generation," he just did the job and got on with it. Here is the link to an article that I think shows his true character.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_21402032/mark-purdy-neil-armstrong-had-right-stuff

David O

• Like 1

Post removed. Keep the conspiracy theories out of this topic. This is to honor a man that was bigger then life. R.I.P.

That (landing) was one of those rare moments that no matter how old you get the memory is like a photograph in your mind and crystal clear even to today.

• Like 2

I remember my father making a point of sitting me down in front of our black and white TV set to watch some grainy pictures of the moon landing. To have achieved this before the 60's were out was a testament to American exceptionalism. Perhaps the passing of Neil Armstrong is symbolic of the death of American exceptionalism as a divided nation seems to have lost it's way both financially and morally. Let us hope for a fresh beginning and a rebirth of American self belief as the world needs more Neil Armstrongs and the nation he represented.

I was only 5 years old when Neil put his foot on the moon. I vividly remember having seen it with my father. I was excited by what was going on at the screen although I didn't really understand what was happening.

One man less on the moon. Rest in peace Neil.

Perhaps landing on the moon today seems not such a big a deal to those who grew up with playstations in their hands, but to generations, at the time is was and still is an amazing event.

I was born after the last moon landing and it seems absolutely amazing to me. We've never done anything like that in my life and it is entirely possible we never will.

Sad to see this guy go. His name will be remembered for thousands of years, long after all the silly stuff we are fighting about now has been forgotten.