Weapons ?

ishan14

its really scary actually. i watched a channel 7 reality show recently where they showcase how easy one is able to obtain firearms here. they search online and found more than afew people selling pen guns and those single bullet pistols, they actually call the fella and arrange meet up or something. the show goes on and show afew photographs of confiscated weapons and dam . . nearly all the bullets are hollow point

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always perplexed by the folks that think people who have guns have no choice but to pull them out.

I'd rather have a weapon and choose not to use it than not have a weapon when my loved ones are threatened.

I can always choose to hand over whatever goodies they want, even if there is a gun in the house. But it's too late to decide to buy a weapon when it's clear that (non-flesh) goodies won't satisfy an intruder.

BTW, for anyone really interested in American gun violence, here's a little government website that may paint a different picture than you would have thought...

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/homicide/race.cfm

I have guns in the USA. Several of them. I enjoy target shooting at paper, cans and clay pigeons. In 38 years of gun ownership, I have never pointed any of my guns at a living thing. I guess I'm just not that bloodthirsty...

I would not own a gun in Thailand. Not even for target shooting. Simply because its existence has to be registered with entities that I don't trust not to steal it, or give the information to other who would break in to steal it. That's not an personal indictment of all or the majority of Thai police. Just a small percentage- but it only takes one.

• Like 1

I live in Thailand and I have never noticed them selling guns in Big C Xtra or anywhere else for that matter, for that reason alone I would quickly make an assumption that gun laws are probably not as liberal as they are in the US,,,,,,,can I have a lettuce a box of teabags and an M16 please!!

Hmmmmmmmmmm, you don't know much about LOS do you sad.png ?

Transam you want to elaborate on how you came to that decision seems a very quick and easy way to make an assumption on gun laws to me.....guns in Big C, maybe a person would think it is normal to want/need a gun, no guns in Big C or openly for sale most normal people wont even think about it..............maybe you know better

Chiangmaikelly,

Dont know very much about US gun law but I have met an awfull lot of your countrymen and spent a lot of time in the US, Yep I am originaly from the UK but I have also spent a lot of time in Iraq and afghanistan so I do know a bit about guns and what they can do, the thing I have come away with though is that it is a pointless excercise speaking with Yanks about guns as they seem to think they have it right and the rest of the world is wrong....seems to be a rather unfortunate trait for some of you

I have come away with though is that it is a pointless excercise speaking with Yanks about guns as they seem to think they have it right and the rest of the world is wrong....seems to be a rather unfortunate trait for some of you

That's a pretty broad brush to paint with, considering lots of cities and states in the USA severely limit gun ownership. And the debate is heated even among Americans.

Is the discussion pointless? Only if you want to convince a Yank that you've got the right answer and they're a bunch of idiots. (Edited because I used a word that was worse than I thought)

And even more so if you believe that your position truly represents "the rest of the world", which is a pretty big stretch given that there's another couple of hundred countries you're speaking for- many of which have gun laws that make the USA look downright strict.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

I have come away with though is that it is a pointless excercise speaking with Yanks about guns as they seem to think they have it right and the rest of the world is wrong....seems to be a rather unfortunate trait for some of you

That's a pretty broad brush to paint with, considering lots of cities and states in the USA severely limit gun ownership. And the debate is heated even among Americans.

Is the discussion pointless? Only if you want to convince a Yank that you've got the right answer and they're a bunch of idiots. (Edited because I used a word that was worse than I thought)

And even more so if you believe that your position truly represents "the rest of the world", which is a pretty big stretch given that there's another couple of hundred countries you're speaking for- many of which have gun laws that make the USA look downright strict.

Yeah sorry about that!

should have said that in my experience speaking with most Yanks who want to talk about guns it is a pointless excercise and that when I said the rest of the world I meant most civilised Western countries, you know First World G8 and all that, and you are certainly right many countries in Africa and Cental Asia and Central America probably do have less stringent gun control than the US of A....do you see a pattern there though?

By the way I have nothing against the US and have worked with and been friendly with many, I have come to realise though that even though we speak the same languague a lot of the time we think very differently

As mentioned, most people put them in the Thai gf's name but she needs to be living with you in order for you to keep it in your house. And even if it's in her name doesn't mean there is any problem with you using it if you need to. You just can't carry it in public unless it is in a locked box with ammo separated unless you have a concealed weapons permit which is very, very hard to get. Technically impossible for a foreigner here in Phuket according to official statement by the guy that issues them, even my Thai friend who carries daily couldn't get a concealed permit in Phuket and had to use connections in Bangkok, as it's easier in some provinces if you have connections. I know some farangs with concealed weapons permits and have been offered both ownership permit and concealed carry permit out of Bangkok, but concealed carry permits are only valid in province issued. My Thai friend runs the risk of having to explain why his carry permit is out of Bangkok. He always tells the cops at checkpoints he is carrying and so far he hasn't had any problems.

Guns should be illegal to own ANYWHERE!

Guns don't kill. The people behind them do.

I have always thought what a silly argument that was. The same can be said of nuclear weapons. Shall we issue everyone one of those too? No? Ok, so then exactly what number of people killed makes it necessary to outlaw an item which has the sole purpose of killing another human being? I enjoy shooting and have carried several different guns as part of my job over the years, but gun laws in many places, like the states, are absolutely insane.

Edited by NomadJoe

OP if you feel it is so unsafe here, that you need to carry a weapon, you are in the wrong country,

It's not that i feel unsafe here or something but i was just wondering what are the laws in thailand for possession of a firearm.

BTW I think it can be helpful in case some armed thief breaks into one's house by any chance. just sayin'

Plain stupid... if an armed thief breaks into your house, he will have his gun ready and will be willing to use it if he sees you reaching for a gun... if an armed thief breaks into your house, give him your valuables and hope for the best he leaves you unharmed... if he sees you reach for a gun, he'll definitely kill you... at least THEN you don't anymore need to worry about being robbed...

If I was staring at an armed intruder, the last thing I would do is reach for a gun. The idea is have it at the ready before he sees you. Not easy if you are storing it safely.

Chiangmaikelly,

Dont know very much about US gun law but I have met an awfull lot of your countrymen and spent a lot of time in the US, Yep I am originaly from the UK but I have also spent a lot of time in Iraq and afghanistan so I do know a bit about guns and what they can do, the thing I have come away with though is that it is a pointless excercise speaking with Yanks about guns as they seem to think they have it right and the rest of the world is wrong....seems to be a rather unfortunate trait for some of you

If this was a thread about US gun laws and US vs UK opinions of guns in the home you would be right on topic. I'm going to go watch Mel Gibson in the Patriot. True Visions is running it this week in Thailand. How do you feel about Mel Gibson and guns? Was the the "Patriot" big in London? I assume you are from London.

OP if you feel it is so unsafe here, that you need to carry a weapon, you are in the wrong country,

It's not that i feel unsafe here or something but i was just wondering what are the laws in thailand for possession of a firearm.

BTW I think it can be helpful in case some armed thief breaks into one's house by any chance. just sayin'

Plain stupid... if an armed thief breaks into your house, he will have his gun ready and will be willing to use it if he sees you reaching for a gun... if an armed thief breaks into your house, give him your valuables and hope for the best he leaves you unharmed... if he sees you reach for a gun, he'll definitely kill you... at least THEN you don't anymore need to worry about being robbed...

If I was staring at an armed intruder, the last thing I would do is reach for a gun. The idea is have it at the ready before he sees you. Not easy if you are storing it safely.

First off the dog is going to tell me there is a burgler out there. Second he is going to be trying to get through the bars on the wondows with a bolt cutter. While he is making the 24 cuts it takes to get through the bars the first shots should hit him. Then the wife can talk to her uncle the local policeman. If you want some Thai related ideas.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Chiangmaikelly,

If this was a thread about US gun laws and US vs UK opinions of guns in the home you would be right on topic. I'm going to go watch Mel Gibson in the Patriot. True Visions is running it this week in Thailand. How do you feel about Mel Gibson and guns? Was the the "Patriot" big in London? I assume you are from London.

No mate, offshore Egypt at the moment, I have left the UK now but before then I had only been to London a couple of times and didnt really like it, luckily for me we have more than one city in the UK so that was OK, never actually watched the Patriot and dont really have an opinion on Mel Gibson though, why is he good in it? I believe he has been in quite a few works of fiction he was in Braveheart as well!! Catch you later Changmai you are certainly living up to your stereo type

Edited by mark131v

As mentioned, most people put them in the Thai gf's name but she needs to be living with you in order for you to keep it in your house. And even if it's in her name doesn't mean there is any problem with you using it if you need to. You just can't carry it in public unless it is in a locked box with ammo separated unless you have a concealed weapons permit which is very, very hard to get. Technically impossible for a foreigner here in Phuket according to official statement by the guy that issues them, even my Thai friend who carries daily couldn't get a concealed permit in Phuket and had to use connections in Bangkok, as it's easier in some provinces if you have connections. I know some farangs with concealed weapons permits and have been offered both ownership permit and concealed carry permit out of Bangkok, but concealed carry permits are only valid in province issued. My Thai friend runs the risk of having to explain why his carry permit is out of Bangkok. He always tells the cops at checkpoints he is carrying and so far he hasn't had any problems.

Guns should be illegal to own ANYWHERE!

Guns don't kill. The people behind them do.

I have always thought what a silly argument that was. The same can be said of nuclear weapons. Shall we issue everyone one of those too? No? Ok, so then exactly what number of people killed makes it necessary to outlaw an item which has the sole purpose of killing another human being? I enjoy shooting and have carried several different guns as part of my job over the years, but gun laws in many places, like the states, are absolutely insane.

You don't have a majority in the US. Not even close. Nor are you accurate. You need to change your statement to read I think and some States. Anyone can get a gun in Thailand. Using it is another matter. Really the discussion should revolve around; if you should shoot a burgler in Thailand or if you should shoot someone trying to kill your wife and kids in Thailand. Anyone can get a gun. No problem here.

Chiangmaikelly,

No mate, offshore Egypt at the moment, never actually watched the Patriot and dont really have an opinion on Mel Gibson though, why is he good in it? I believe he has been in quite a few works of fiction he was in Braveheart as well I

No I didn't mean where are you now. I assume you spent much of your life in or around London. But I really don't want to go more off topic. Get the movie the Patriot, I think you may identify with a lot of the characters as they are British and don't with Americans having guns. I think you may see the Thai reasoning for having guns if you identify the Thai farmers with the American farmers.

And FYI for the earlier example, shooting and killing a guy that is outside your house but in the process of cutting the bars on your window is murder regardless who your wife's uncle is. You or another must be in imminent danger of great bodily injury or death.

Joe I think the above is the only part of that long post above that is on topic. Perhaps you should look up the relevant Thai laws instead of quoting laws from another country.

• Like 1

Why would you assume that? 88% of the UK population don't live in London. Can I assume you're from New York?

And FYI for the earlier example, shooting and killing a guy that is outside your house but in the process of cutting the bars on your window is murder regardless who your wife's uncle is. You or another must be in imminent danger of great bodily injury or death.

Joe I think the above is the only part of that long post above that is on topic. Perhaps you should look up the relevant Thai laws instead of quoting laws from another country.

Actually I have them all on my computer, but thanks anyway. And your are wrong, we are still off topic. The topic is "what is the process involved to get a firearm"

Can my wife shoot an unarmed person?

My wife owns a handgun. She also has a license for it.

She says that it’s okay to shoot someone if they are breaking into your house, even if they are unarmed.

What does Thai law say about this?

What are the “rules of engagement” for a private citizen?"

- Graham, Chalong. Saturday, June 18, 2011 3:50:41 PM

"You cannot shoot a person just for being in your house – they have to have malicious intent towards you and/or the other residents in the household.

If that is the case, you are then justified in using your gun in self-defense.

However, using a gun for protection does not mean that you can shoot six bullets into the body of an intruder. You may consider firing a warning shot to scare the person(s) away and then shoot at the intruder(s) directly if they persist."

It is illegal for a foreigner to own a gun in Thailand.

However, if a foreigner shoots another person in self-defense, the circumstances will be investigated just as they would if a Thai person were involved.

A special consideration would have to be made regarding the charge of illegal possession of a firearm.”

- Kraithong Chanthongba, Superintendent of Chalong Police.

http://www.phuketgaz...ils.asp?id=1227

Edited by NomadJoe

I'll add this follow-up as I am sure the above line about foriegners not allowed to own guns will undoubtedly evoke responses. It only took the OP 142 posts to get his answer.

"Guns for foreigners

In an Issue & Answer in the June 4, 2011 issue of the Phuket Gazette, there was a question whether or not someone can shoot an unarmed intruder. In the response, a police officer clearly stated that it is forbidden for a foreigner to own a gun.

This is not true. A foreigner who has a yellow tabien baan house registration book for more than six months or is a permanent resident of Thailand is allowed to own a gun by law, but only if he or she is able to give a valid reason to the authorities.

Eric Limbos, Khao Sok Friday, January 27, 2012 10:32:17 AM

“It is true that a person needs to have a tabien baan house registration book in order to get permission to own a gun. So, a foreigner whose name is in a yellow tabien baan is able to ask for a permit, but that doesn’t mean they will get one.

The district chief has the final authority to sign an approval for a permit, and that person will consider many things, such as how long you’ve been in Thailand, whether you speak Thai, whether you have a Thai family member living in Thailand. They will also consider whether you work in security, or are assigned for temporary work with the police or military.

If you have a gun for sport, you must have documents showing that you are a sport marksman.” Friday, January 27, 2012 10:32:17 AM

- Wilairat Kwanchien, chief of the Muang District Office Public Administration Section.

http://www.phuketgaz...ils.asp?id=1269

One more:

Foreigners and guns

I am an American national. I will be moving to Thailand shortly. As a foreigner on a retirement visa, can I own a firearm for recreational use? I enjoy trap shooting and target shooting.

Robert Libby, USA. Thursday, September 13, 2001 6:05:47 AM

“Foreigners may have a gun license and own a gun only if they have a Thai house registration (tabien baan) paper [see also http://www.phuketgaz...ails.asp?id=227 ]. This also applies in the case of air guns. If you want to bring a gun into the country you must already have a gun license and you must ask permission beforehand from the Customs Department.”

Thursday, September 13, 2001 6:05:47 AM

- Officer, Muang District Administrative Office.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=228

Edited by NomadJoe

Actually I have them all on my computer, but thanks anyway.

"“You cannot shoot a person just for being in your house – they have to have malicious intent towards you and/or the other residents in the household.

However, using a gun for protection does not mean that you can shoot six bullets into the body of an intruder. You may consider firing a warning shot to scare the person(s) away and then shoot at the intruder(s) directly if they persist."

However, if a foreigner shoots another person in self-defense, the circumstances will be investigated just as they would if a Thai person were involved.

A special consideration would have to be made regarding the charge of illegal possession of a firearm.”

"“You cannot shoot a person just for being in your house – they have to have malicious intent towards you and/or the other residents in the household.

I wouldn't shoot anyone in Thaland.. Take the wife to the range and teach her how to shoot at night. Start with a bb pistol or .22 because it is cheaper and work your way up to a .45. Remember point shooting. I used to teach a course called quick kill in Thailand 40 years ago. The basics are still the same. Don't aim, point. I could teach a kid how to hit a thrown 5 baht coin with a bb gun in a few hours.

• Like 1

I wouldn't shoot anyone in Thaland.. Take the wife to the range and teach her how to shoot at night. Start with a bb pistol or .22 because it is cheaper and work your way up to a .45. Remember point shooting. I used to teach a course called quick kill in Thailand 40 years ago. The basics are still the same. Don't aim, point. I could teach a kid how to hit a thrown 5 baht coin with a bb gun in a few hours.

cheesy.gif I can see you putting the gun your wifes hand, you, her and and the kamoey dancing around the house, you shouting "Point, don't aim honey!!" Her taking wild pot shots as she is screaming. I think I saw that on a Thai soap. Comedy gold mate....thank you. thrown 5 baht coin...rotflmao

cheesy.gif I can see you putting the gun your wifes hand, you, her and and the kamoey dancing around the house, you shouting "Point, don't aim honey!!" Her taking wild pot shots as she is screaming. I think I saw that on a Thai soap. Comedy gold mate....thank you. thrown 5 baht coin...rotflmao

Who knows maybe save your life someday. Start with a bb gun and a pie tin. Throw the pie tin in the air and shoot it with the bb gun. Don't aim just thrust the pistol or rifle out in front of you. You can hear the bb hit the pie tin. Move down to smaller round objects and you will be amazed in a short time you can hit a one baht coin. Once you learn to rely on your own hand eye coordination. Trust the forcebiggrin.png

I don't think I would live somewhere I thought I needed a gun. Plus I don't really want to kill someone, well maybe some shitty people. But a taser I would be interested in. Doesn't kill, incapacitates the guy and looks really funny! Nnnnnnnnmmmmmmmmmnmm. Hahaha.

I don't think I would live somewhere I thought I needed a gun. Plus I don't really want to kill someone, well maybe some shitty people. But a taser I would be interested in. Doesn't kill, incapacitates the guy and looks really funny! Nnnnnnnnmmmmmmmmmnmm. Hahaha.

Where is a place that does not have meth, ya ba. It is my understanding that tasers may not work on a ya ba freak.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Where is a place that does not have meth, ya ba. It is my understanding that tasers may not work on a ya ba freak.

Saw a martial arts dude on TV the other day get tasered, still able to reach up and pull the wires off of him straight away, jump up and get to the firer of the taser in about 3 seconds. He did it with mind control or something, and a yaba'd up freak head might just do it as well I guess. guess he couldn't jump up if it had been a 10 gage shot gun though.

"Guns should be illegal to own ANYWHERE"....

Agreed....There needs to be an education program and a shift in mentality to get rid of firearms out of the community. Otherwise we will end up like the great US of A. God forbid

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Thaivisa Connect App

I dunno - always found Alaska to be a very safe place, much safer than Bangkok, and the the gun ownership there is considerably higher than Thailand.