Quick Question On Ach Bangkok Bank Ny And Us Bank

I'm having some minor (but quite irritating) issue with a local bank I use (bannerbank). I added bangkok bank NY with BBNY's routing number and my acct # of my bangkok bank account. I did this since last week but the 2 small amounts have yet to arrive. I've called both banks and they don't seem to be able to confirm anything. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. The one thing I could do is to have them reset the enrollment and redo the ACH test again. I'm just wondering if there might be something else I need to do or is the best way just to use another bank (which I prefer not to).

hi rijb,

That might be the issue. When I put in my bangkok bank account #, I didn't use any dashes and just put in the numbers. I wonder if thats it. All I am asked for is the bank name, routing # and my account #.

I have tried to transfer money from two of my U.S. accounts via Bangkok Bank in NYC. One bank refused the transfer because Bangkok Bank would not allow charge backs from the originating bank and they considered that too much of a liability should a problem occur. The other bank was able to do transfers without a hitch for one year - and I transferred living expenses and the purchase price for a condo without a problem. Then about 8 months ago, I attempted another transfer and, all of a sudden, Bangkok Bank refused the transfers because the name was not an exact match. I checked with the initiating bank in the U.S. and nothing had changed. It seems that my U.S. bank uses a transfer system which limits the characters on the account name and Bangkok Bank had flagged this. Bangkok Bank finally relented and allowed the transfers to continue but I had to sign a release form.

Not sure what your problem is and it is so difficult to get answers between two financial institutions to resolve the issue.

If the funds never arrived I can understand why Bangkok Bank couldn't tell you anything. However, but, BannerBank should be able to tell you on what day the test deposits were sent....they wouldn't tell you the test amounts but they should be able to confirm that they have been transmitted. And by confirmed I don't mean a bank rep saying they "should" have been transmitted no problem. But in researching this with BannerBank, unless you are actually going into the bank in person, I can understand why they may not be open with much info on the transfer details due to identity concerns. Also keep in mind that the test deposits may take 2-5 business days to post to your Bangkok Bank account as it depends on how fast BannerBank actually sends the test deposits, weekends and holidays (both countries don't count as a business day), and Bangkok Bank still has to post the test deposit which probably takes a person doing a final, quick look at the incoming transfer to confirm everything is OK. Some sending banks take 3 days to accomplish an ACH transfer such as a ACH test deposit; others do the transfer same day.

Edit: also as KED mentioned, you can't "pull" money from your Bangkok Bank account to an overseas account...Thailand has very specific rules about money flowing "out" of the country for foriegners...it's pretty much limited to those with work permits and sending back your salary. If BannerBank is trying to pull the test deposits back which is common with many such test deposits transfers nowdays, BannerBank may not validate/approve the funds link until the test deposits flow back---and Bangkok Bank or any Thai bank ain't going to send the test deposits back. Thailand takes money no problem...with open arms; but letting money flow out is a whole different story. Now, with that being said, I have setup/have transfer links with my Bangkok Bank accounts with Bank of America, USAA Bank, State Farm Bank, and Schwab Bank. During the test deposits I don't know if the mentioned U.S. banks tried to pull back the deposits, but all the links setup no problem.

Edited by Pib

At first USAA said that I could not do an ACH to Bangkok Bank but backed down once I insisted and they realized that the Transit Routing (ABA) Number was for a US Bank, despite the name Bangkok Bank

I was then surprised that USAA did not do a test deposit. When I asked why not, I was told that since I opted for one way transfers (USAA to Bangkok Bank NY) the trial deposits were not necessary and would not be initiated, despite the large notice:

USAA will Verify Ownership of your Account

To protect you from fraud or theft, we verify ownership of non-USAA accounts.

See this graphic for your options with USAA

post-10942-0-18660000-1346270477_thumb.p

Exactly as Pib says.

I have no experience with Banner Bank but if they can't test the return of the test deposits that may be their reason for rejecting your request to set up ACH transfers.

I've set this up with 3 different US banks linking them to Bangkok Bank NY. The last was Schwab bank (PNC) but even that was several years ago. There was no problem setting up any of them.

There is definitely no issue with the names being an exact match as none of my US accounts match my Bangkok Bank account exactly.

At first USAA said that I could not do an ACH to Bangkok Bank but backed down once I insisted and they realized that the Transit Routing (ABA) Number was for a US Bank, despite the name Bangkok Bank

I was then surprised that USAA did not do a test deposit. When I asked why not, I was told that since I opted for one way transfers (USAA to Bangkok Bank NY) the trial deposits were not necessary and would not be initiated, despite the large notice:

USAA will Verify Ownership of your Account

To protect you from fraud or theft, we verify ownership of non-USAA accounts.

See this graphic for your options with USAA

post-10942-0-18660000-1346270477_thumb.p

Worked out different for me. When I set USAA links up with Bangkok Bank for two different Bangkok Bank accounts around 18 monhs ago, I selected the setup option of "Yes, I make deposits and withdrawals from this account" (a.k.a, push/to & pull/from). USAA did the trial deposits, but USAA never pulled the trial deposits back. I figure USAA attempted the deposits pull back and Bangkok Bank rejected the pull back attempts because the trial deposits stayed in my Bangkok Bank accounts. However, since I was able to enter the amounts of the trial deposits, the USAA links setup no problem. Both links to Bangkok Bank are still set up as a "To/From" instead of just "To." The transfer links looks just like my other links to U.S. banks where it says "To/From" and I can send or pull money from those other U.S. banks.

However, but, I don't plan to attempt any money pulls from Bangkok Bank as I know it would just reject as Bangkok Bank would surely reject any money pull attempt. Here's a cut and paste of what my USAA transfer links to Bangkok Bank looks like regarding the direction(s) of money transfer flow:

post-55970-0-38093300-1346296890_thumb.j

Worked out different for me. When I set USAA links up with Bangkok Bank for two different Bangkok Bank accounts around 18 monhs ago, I selected the setup option of "Yes, I make deposits and withdrawals from this account" (a.k.a, push/to & pull/from). USAA did the trial deposits, but USAA never pulled the trial deposits back. I figure USAA attempted the deposits pull back and Bangkok Bank rejected the pull back attempts because the trial deposits stayed in my Bangkok Bank accounts.

Bangkok Bank NY USA only works one way

Important Note

You cannot transfer funds from Bangkok Bank's account in Thailand to your account with banks or online payment service providers in the US via Bangkok Bank's New York branch and the ACH system. If you initiate direct debit or ACH debit transactions to Bangkok Bank's New York branch, banks in the US and online payment service providers may suspend your account.

http://www.bangkokba...ndsfromUSA.aspx

Edited by mania

Yea, I had seen those paragraphs before and I always thought the last one was amusing that Bangkok Bank was saying your home country bank may suspend your account, but I expect your home country bank would just report the transfer failed and/or inactivate the transfer link to Bangkok Bank...but not do anything else. However, but, Bangkok Bank may code your Bangkok Bank account in such a way to suspend any future transfers or suspend your Bangkok Bank account, because you had attempted to transfer money out of Thailand without the proper approvals. I like how one bank tries to make the other bank look like the bad guy.

I figure USAA attempted the deposits pull back and Bangkok Bank rejected the pull back attempts because the trial deposits stayed in my Bangkok Bank accounts. However, since I was able to enter the amounts of the trial deposits, the USAA links setup no problem. Both links to Bangkok Bank are still set up as a "To/From" instead of just "To."

Same bank, different results....

I too attempted with USAA to set up a "To/From." This was more out of curiosity as to what would happen, as I knew I'd only be using the "To" function -- and had already set-up this "To" only function with two other USAA to Bangkok Bank accounts.

Here's what USAA sent me after the two trial deposits had been sent to Bangkok Bank:

Unfortunately, your financial institution [bangkok Bank] notified us that this is a credits-only account -- withdrawals aren't allowed. Based on this information, we've added this account to your funds transfer list for deposits only. Please contact your financial institution if you have questions about the account.

Thus, this account was set-up as a "To" only account. Trial deposits remained in my Bangkok Bank account, and their amounts were never used in the verification process (which, after that USAA correspondence, probably would have resulted in a "tilt" rather than establishing a "To/From" account).