Nokia Windows Phone

Doznotdiz

I recently decided to join the ranks of the smartphone brigade and decided not to go the iphone or Samsung route - I bought a Nokia 710 with Windows Mango 7.5. Had to get a new simcard because they have shrunk quite substantially. It's a nice machine and when plugged into the Laptop with Windows 7 it interfaces with things like Zume and Office365 skydrive. I'm with Truemove and decided to check my balance with a #123#. Well that didn't work and after much investigation at the Nokia shop and Truemove it was found that Windows didn't allow those characters in a text. So I have to call to check my balance. No big deal. So then I though I'd send a picture by text. That didn't work either and I cannot receive pictures either. I'm learning Thai language and can type it as well so I wanted to send a friend a text in Thai. There are dozens of keyboard languages on the phone but....wait for it....no Thai. apparently there will be some updates to Mango (to provide a Thai keyboard) called.....wait for it.....Tango1 and Tango2 (no spelling mistakes). And there have already been 2 major updates in the past month.

I can understand the shop staff happliy selling this phone to a farang (not that some of them would have the slightest idea about the product anyway), but what would a Thai person think if they bought one? We are in Thailand aren't we?

Anyone know anything about this phone? (งง - nor ngu tsong dtoooa)

#123# is a USSD command, a sort of in-band service messaging format. Evidently Windows 7.5 phone doesn't support USSD. Weird, but not the end of the world. I think you can dial 9302 for free once a day.

http://www.truemove.com/en/support-phone.html

Not sure about the MMS issue, or lack of a Thai keyboard? That seems really weird. Maybe that iPhone or Android phone isn't looking so bad now? ;)

Edited by lomatopo

What a shame you couldn't wait a few weeks for Windows Phone 8.

But there will also be an update to 7.8 so maybe that might fix the problem.

They'd better do something about password-protected PDFs as well or they ain't getting my business.

Didn't impress - Nokia shares on the slide.

Nokia Lumia 920: Built-in wireless charging, PureView camera and more

120905%5C521367-screen-shot-2012-09-05-8-15-49-am.streams_desktop_medium.png

Nokia

Microsoft and Nokia held a joint press event in New York City on Wednesday. During the event, the two companies announced their latest and greatest Windows Phone 8 device.

"This is Lumia. And it's time to switch," declared Nokia's executive vice president Jo Harlow as she held up a Lumia 920, the latest Windows Phone 8 flagship device.

As rumored, the device offers built-in wireless charging to help keep what Harlow describes as the "largest battery ever installed on a Nokia phone" running all day long.

The Lumia 920 also brings a PureView camera system, meaning that you should get crisper, clearer images than ever. The technology within the Lumia 920's camera supposedly responds to the tiniest changes in the environment in order to take the best images possible, without triggering the flash.

The new device's 4.5-inch curved glass display should show off those photos quite well, as the Lumia 920 has enhancements which respond to glare from sunlight and other environmental factors. It's a "display that you could even see in the desert," says Harlow.

120905%5C521705-screen-shot-2012-09-05-10-57-26-am.streams_desktop_medium.png

Additionally, Harlow emphasized that the Lumia 920 will include Nokia's best navigation tools. "This is the real thing," she says, describing the device's offline map feature, explaining that it is not the typical offline caching seen in some competing apps. An additional app called "City Lens" will allow you to point the smartphone's camera at any nearby landmark or business to view an overlay which includes information about the location. (Yes, augmented reality is leaking into more and more apps.)

This is a phone that you'll want to use constantly, according to Harlow. Microsoft corporate vice president Joe Belfiore took about 15 minutes to demonstrate some of the scenarios in which you might indeed reach for the Lumia 920. It was a basic walk-through of the Windows Phone 8 ecosystem and Belfiore earned a few awkward chuckles as he demonstrated how easily he could add Microsoft CEO Steve Balmer to the Windows Phone 8 start screen, which is dedicated to "the humans you want to keep in touch with."

Nokia senior vice president Kevin Shields took to the stage after Belfiore, to describe how the device "feels so good in your hand that it begs to be picked up." He emphasized the quality and durability of the Luma 920's design. It'll look good, "even throughout the abuse of everyday life."

Did you know that you won't receive updates for that phone higher than 7.x and I bet they won't put too much time in updating a dead system.

You bought a dead OS. sad.png

I hope it was at least cheap. After I bought a symbian phone and let be left alone by Nokia I won't buy any Nokia products anymore and I loved Nokia in the past.

Did you know that you won't receive updates for that phone higher than 7.x and I bet they won't put too much time in updating a dead system.

I hope it was at least cheap. After I bought a symbian phone and let be left alone by Nokia I won't buy any Nokia products anymore and I loved Nokia in the past.

They are rolliing 7.8 at the same time as 8 for legacy users, and correct, that will be it for existing users.

But just because it's a dead OS doesn't mean it isn't a perfectly functional one for the features I described above.

If you always want to use the latest smartphone or OS, you're going to be continually upgrading for the sake of it.

The first thing I did with my Note is put a custom ROM on it, as I do with all Androids, I don't want the crapware.

Best not buy Samsung then. They are renowned for NOT offering updates on Android and that's NOT a dead OS.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

• 1 month later...

Windows Phone is a good OS but lack of simple featues such as USSD support & thai keyboard SIP in the OS is simply major flaws.

Keyboard sips & fonts for all major languages they aim to sell the OS's in should be easily added & removed by the user & hosted by MS for easy download ... Lack of language support = lack of users as simple as that.

Current Thai apps for Windows Phone 7 to 7.8 (expect 8 will be same issue too) are a bad work around to be polite & the OS itself does not display thai font 100% correctly.

Being heavily locked OS will mean less free fixes/apps & solutions from genius users ...

I use Windows 6.5.3 on an HD2 & have great thai keyboards & correct font layout & can easily expand on this as needed plus USSD works flawless as do all other features.

All of the current mobile OS's are a step backwards in full feature usability & nothing more than bloated marketing tools trying to part the easily deceived from good cash for useless junk .

Edited by BuckBee

Nokia recently updated their maps and according to the map shown on my computer, they are now VERY good. Unfortunately the map will only work on the newer Nokia phones. My E52 is not exactly ancient, but they won't work on that phone.

I don't know about the Windows operating system but your phone will have the best GPS maps available on any phone.

Windows Phone is a good OS but lack of simple featues such as USSD support & thai keyboard SIP in the OS is simply major flaws.

Keyboard sips & fonts for all major languages they aim to sell the OS's in should be easily added & removed by the user & hosted by MS for easy download ... Lack of language support = lack of users as simple as that.

Current Thai apps for Windows Phone 7 to 7.8 (expect 8 will be same issue too) are a bad work around to be polite & the OS itself does not display thai font 100% correctly.

Being heavily locked OS will mean less free fixes/apps & solutions from genius users ...

I use Windows 6.5.3 on an HD2 & have great thai keyboards & correct font layout & can easily expand on this as needed plus USSD works flawless as do all other features.

All of the current mobile OS's are a step backwards in full feature usability & nothing more than bloated marketing tools trying to part the easily deceived from good cash for useless junk .

Sorry mate but even Windows 7.x is streets ahead of 6.5.

Far behind it actually. We have full Asian language support including Burmese, excellent business doc support & compressed archive support, working ussd, network connectivity is also far more reliable & flexible. If you use the device professionally 6.5.3 is still better in many way, if you just like talking & modelling your new phone on the subway & messing about on Facebook but not in Thai language the WP7 will be just the job ...

Far behind it actually. We have full Asian language support including Burmese, excellent business doc support & compressed archive support, working ussd, network connectivity is also far more reliable & flexible. If you use the device professionally 6.5.3 is still better in many way, if you just like talking & modelling your new phone on the subway & messing about on Facebook but not in Thai language the WP7 will be just the job ...

I stand corrected on the Thai language - it worked on the HTC because of an add-on. Apparently WP8 will support 50 languages, so I would assume Thai will be one of them.

Not sure what you mean about Network connectivity, I've used my WP7.5 in the Middle East and Thailand on Wifi and 3G/Edge without any problems.

Agree about the Zips, not so sure about the Docs, and USSD support? That's really an issue?

I stand corrected on the Thai language - it worked on the HTC because of an add-on. Apparently WP8 will support 50 languages, so I would assume Thai will be one of them.

Not sure what you mean about Network connectivity, I've used my WP7.5 in the Middle East and Thailand on Wifi and 3G/Edge without any problems.

Agree about the Zips, not so sure about the Docs, and USSD support? That's really an issue?

Sure is an issue, our IT department had 2 900s on test loan to possibly replace current fleet of 25 HD2's

Had issues with word/excel docs that 6.5.3 office apps worked with flawlessly plus lack of tethering flexability & too many errors connecting to our secure servers & a huge headache with general data transfer the IT boys gave up as expense for no gain was pointless. we use ussd dialling dailly so it is an issue & also need good support for more than 6 languages for typing & reading & WM 6.5.3 does that easily & IT can customise it far better for individual needs including very proffesional language translation dictionaries & word/powerpoint editing suites that simply have not evolved to WP yet ...

WP metro style is a great UI but it is lacking a hell of a lot of basic needs, I can not believe they did not set up language input & correct font viewing for all regions they targeted with marketing.

The language app on Nokia for Thai on 900 WP7.5 was/is a complete joke & we did not laugh simply because it is so shokingly stupid !

we use ussd dialling dailly so it is an issue

Out of interest, what do you use USSD for?

fast activation of network services for thai & hong kong providers.

makes it easy to switch language in HK & activate our company 3G as needed all from preset ussd numbers & no operator & language barrier issues.

As a standard operator protocol the fact it is not functional in WP7.5 is another jaw dropping moment & I can only imagine the laughs at Apple & google when they played with a WP device.

MS just love turning up to fight with their pants around their ankles !

Fingers crossed for WP8 as I really want see MS get some serious stake in the mobile market & have a good OS to play with again ! we hope :-/

Just out of interest, when you say USSD codes don't work, does *121#<send> count as a USSD code?

I just entered that into my HD7 with an AIS SIM card roaming to a Middle East provider, and I got my balance back in the usual way.

Not on Nokia with 7.5 it does not. have tested WP7.8 leaked rom custom for HD2 & ussd did work, whether windows or Nokia issue I am unsure as not tested a wide enough range of official W7 devices to come to a conclusion.

I thik HTC has added ussd function but not 100% sure on that ...

Edited by BuckBee
  • Like 1

Not on Nokia with 7.5 it does not. have tested WP7.8 leaked rom custom for HD2 & ussd did work, whether windows or Nokia issue I am unsure as not tested a wide enough range of official W7 devices to come to a conclusion.

I thik HTC has added ussd function but not 100% sure on that ...

Interesting. I know there is at least one app for USSD available, but I haven't installed it.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Thaivisa Connect App

A lot of service providers use USSD "behind" their Android (or other) app., at least I know T-Mo in the U.S., and DTAC does here. These are used for any service inquiry, promotional change, subscriptions to a new plan etc, from a user friendly UI.

It is strange that such a basic function, one which has been on Nokia phones since they stopped making rubber galoshes, was somehow overlooked. Blame it on MSFT I guess?

Strange indeed, pulled up our IT departments report on the 900 with 7.5 & here are some more basic features that they found missing or difficult to use. some different brand/model handsets may have fixes or apps to deal with some of these but this smart phone OS was not too smart.

1.No static IP address setting so no connection to ad-hoc network

2. Poor tethering/wifi hotspot functionality

2.lacking rSAP A2DP

3.No sms draft option

4.No contact filter ability

5.Can not open zip,rar files

6.only one volume level for all functions

7. No BT file transfer

8.No sound/ring profiles

9.Poor to no sounds/alert type options for all alerts and alarm

10.Phone can be rebooted to bypass security lock.

11. MMS not sending bug unless 3G setting activated.

12. could not receive video attached to MMS

13. poor rendering of our standard docx templates & minimal features of office doc apps

14. unable to add file attachment to email within email app

• 4 weeks later...