Update On Non Immigrant O Extension Through Marriage

After doing plenty of research on this forum and others i thought i had my application spot on when arriving at Chaeng Wattana to extend my Non Immigrant O visa through my marriage with Thai national, but it appears i was wrong.

It seems that Thai immigration don't fully trust the British Embassy because not only do you have to provide the letter they give as proof of income but you also have to supply the original Bank Statements provided previously to the British Embassy (something i hadn't considered or read about), which meant an extra trip.

Also they wouldn't submit my application until i provided proof, by way of my Thai Bank passbook, showing that the funds (or at least the required amount of 40k baht per month) was being transferred into Thailand from my UK bank.

Seems strange but i hadn't read anything about this either, not sure whether these are new policies.

Is it just me or does Thai immigration always make you feel less than worthless. Makes me laugh also that they ask you to fill in the comment/rate card before you hear whether your application is successful, needless to say i gave every rating as 'excellent'

It may have just been you. Normally they do not ask for more than Embassy letter for those with income but if you are under 50 that might have been a factor. There is no requirement to transfer any amount into Thailand but they might check you have a source of living funds inside Thailand (are you sure they required 40k monthly?). I take it this was your first extension? And everything was accepted in the end? And this was directly at the immigration officer desk when submitting the paperwork after queue?

• Like 1

It may have just been you. Normally they do not ask for more than Embassy letter for those with income but if you are under 50 that might have been a factor. There is no requirement to transfer any amount into Thailand but they might check you have a source of living funds inside Thailand (are you sure they required 40k monthly?). I take it this was your first extension? And everything was accepted in the end? And this was directly at the immigration officer desk when submitting the paperwork after queue?

Yes this was my first extension, im 41. I wasn't expecting to have to show my thai bank passbook, luckily i had transferred enough into it over the last few months but generally i just use my uk bank atm card here and take the money straight from my uk bank.

Everything was accepted in the end so should be no problem now.

I have completed 4 visa extns based on marriage, I am 56 and live in Roi Et, and I have never had to supply any Thai bank account details, which I don't have anyway as I only use my UK bank account for all my financial transactions.

The proof of income letter from the Embassy is the only document required, at the moment, for my age group.

whistling.gif The immigration has ALWAYS had the option of requesting further documentation at their discretion for proof....if they feel they need it.

Incidentally, so do Thai consulates abroad, and many of those consulate websites have that clearly stated in their on-line information on Thai visa requirements.

So, wherever you go in Thailand for immigration business, ALWAYS assume they MAY ask you qyestions on your forms and documents...and therefore bring what you can with you to answer those possable questions.

You don't need to present it unless asked....but have it with you in case asked.

Bank passbooks are a common question.

On my initial retirement extension, in addition to my bank deposit letter, I was asked to go downstairs to my bank branch office, make a token 100 Baht deposit or withdrawal, and return with that entry showing in my bankbook.

When I did that my application was signed to be approved.

So. it's not something uncommon...it happens often.

rolleyes.gif

If you were sitting on the other side of desk and applicant provides a form with a photo directly printed onto it would you not become alarmed at how easy it would be for that applicant to alter documents? Suspect we can be a bit too creative and cause such attention and thus the double check of current account update to be asked rather than take the bank letter on blind faith. But agree completely carry a big bag with everything but the kitchen sink just in case.

• Like 2

If you were sitting on the other side of desk and applicant provides a form with a photo directly printed onto it would you not become alarmed at how easy it would be for that applicant to alter documents? Suspect we can be a bit too creative and cause such attention and thus the double check of current account update to be asked rather than take the bank letter on blind faith. But agree completely carry a big bag with everything but the kitchen sink just in case.

Of course I would not become alarmed. Any form can be easily altered in this digital age. If I were across the desk, I would see my job as making sure the proffered form carried all the required information. I would quibble over how the picture was attached or the applicant's choice of font used to print it. By the way, the form is not hand-written either. All the blanks are completed digitally.

For three years pre-printing the photo was never a problem. Now the guy "corrects" the problem by pasting an identical picture right over the top? What brand of stupidity is this? If it is not stupidity, then it is deliberate nitpicking. Take your choice. All the officer had to do was look at the picture and look at my face. Pre-printed or pasted on, what is the difference?

And if we have to have updated bank book proof in addition to the bank letter, then why have the bank letter? If I can bribe a bank official to give me a phony letter, then it's pretty worthless. If there is no "faith" in the letter, it is pointless to require it.

The bottom line is that any applicant who forges a form or obtains a phony bank letter is a criminal who risks permanent deportation and blackballing from Thailand forever.

Now, for all I have said, I also recognize that Thai Immigration officers are one million times more nice, decent and respectful than American Immigration officers, which is why I am here. I was not complaining; just pointing out some behavioral facts: The OP was not imagining the nitpicking.

Immigration can always come up with something new. After 4 extensions being done at same office this time they wanted a copy of my wifes 24 year old divorce certificate. This came up when doing review of statement done in previous years.

Luckily we had a copy at home if not it could of been a trip to Yala to get one.

@ Tongue Thaied

One of requirements for extension with TM7 is a photograph of size 6cm x 4cm. You did not supply this, so maybe he thought you were being too clever and therefore asked for as many additional forms that he could think of.

Not suggesting that printed form with pic included is wrong, just technically does not satisfy the requirements so may have irked the immigration officer.

in the UK this kind of job would be part of the civil service. Believe me, if the civil service print a form and request you to attach a photo.. they would NEVER accept a digital picture printed directly on the form!

This kind of job requires the kind of nit-picking people that you are talking about, normal people could not do the job without going insane.

I agree that they appear to deliberately throw a curve ball to ty and catch you off balance, it's just part of the game.. after all they don't want to make it appear to easy.

If the office were more efficient they would not need so many staff and somebody would end up out of a job, inconviniencing a farang is by far preferable to losing staff, the fact that you may have to go and get documents from the bank and that takes 2 hours is just amusement for them.

Of course I would not become alarmed. Any form can be easily altered in this digital age. If I were across the desk, I would see my job as making sure the proffered form carried all the required information. I would quibble over how the picture was attached or the applicant's choice of font used to print it. By the way, the form is not hand-written either. All the blanks are completed digitally.

For three years pre-printing the photo was never a problem. Now the guy "corrects" the problem by pasting an identical picture right over the top? What brand of stupidity is this? If it is not stupidity, then it is deliberate nitpicking. Take your choice. All the officer had to do was look at the picture and look at my face. Pre-printed or pasted on, what is the difference?

And if we have to have updated bank book proof in addition to the bank letter, then why have the bank letter? If I can bribe a bank official to give me a phony letter, then it's pretty worthless. If there is no "faith" in the letter, it is pointless to require it.

The bottom line is that any applicant who forges a form or obtains a phony bank letter is a criminal who risks permanent deportation and blackballing from Thailand forever.

Now, for all I have said, I also recognize that Thai Immigration officers are one million times more nice, decent and respectful than American Immigration officers, which is why I am here. I was not complaining; just pointing out some behavioral facts: The OP was not imagining the nitpicking.

Vintage TQ + Tongue Thaied

----------------------------------------

Yes maybe there are a reason sometimes for some officials behavior!! One reason can be maybe your fellow countrymens past own behavior, and you are just paying for it, who knows!!!!!

My own experience for what it is worth, is that these guys (Khon Kaen, Khorat and Bangkok) have been nice and friendly and helpful. And I have nothing to complain about. But I always try into the letter of the forms, to fullfil their demands towards me, maybe that can do the trick for some of us....

Glegolo

++++

It's not just you. I go in (Phitsanulok) every year for the marriage extension with a three ring binder filled with everything they might ask for. They always seems to embrace the challenge of finding something I don't have so they can make me make an extra trip. Others relate the same phenomenon.

Instead of pasting a picture on my TM7 form, I digitized it and pre-print it in the correct place on the scanned form. I do this every year and everybody has been happy with it. This year, the officer said I needed loose passport pictures (never before asked for). I had them. He then pasted them over the pre-printed ones, which were identical in image, size, color and placement! Huh? Then they wanted a second picture of my Thai family (never before asked for). I had it. Then they wanted separate passport sized pictures of my wife (never before asked for). I had them.

I had my bank letter, obtained and dated that morning (because some have reported a two day old letter not being accepted), saying I had more than 400,000 in the account for more than two months. I had copies of my bank book. Although I updated the bank book that morning, the last activity was more than two months before, so that was the last that showed. However, I had an ATM slip, with copies, printed that morning showing a balance matching the bank book balance. It seemed I had exhausted them and my application was passed on to the supervisor.

The supervisor explained that I may have taken money out of the account during the two months and then put it back that morning before obtaining the ATM slip. Thus, I would have to go to the bank and make a 100 baht deposit, then get the book updated so that they could see if there was any other activity during the last two months. I explained that I had a bank letter saying the money was there for the entire two months. The supervisor explained that she needed this and there would be no further processing on my application until I got it. They had never before asked me for this. So I went and did as bidden. However, it is noteworthy that this was the Monday after a four day holiday, so I was stuck waiting in the bank for over two hours to accomplish this seemingly simple task. Now I rhetorically ask, if you must have a bank book with an entry the day of the application so that the officer can see by means of the bank book that more than 400K has been there more than two months, then what is the purpose of the letter? It is pure redundancy.

Look, I know they have the power, so I smile and carry on. But nobody will ever convince me or my friends here that some of these immigration folks must be bored and find outlet in pulling peoples' chains. Everybody is smiling and polite the whole time (on both sides), but you would have to be stupid not to see the game. My end of the game is to try to second guess them and be ready for every curve ball, and I am usually successful. I always have an extra big smile on my face each time I open my binder and casually return one of their curve balls. But sometimes they get pretty creative.

Of course somebody out there will accuse me of paranoia. All I can say in response to that is just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me!

Hello mate i can understand what you mean,i do my visa at Phitsanulok and get stuffed around every time, i had my 400,000 for marriage visa in a term deposit and even after getting the bank letter stating i had the money, they wanted me to update my bankbook,which i told him i couldnt, i then had to return to the bank and get the manager to speak to immigration,as you say what is the letter for?? and it cost 200 baht from memory, after hours of bs and delibaration my visa application was aproved,but what a hassle, i think it makes them feel important!!

In order to avoid any surprises when I go to apply for my 1 year extension to my Non Immigrant O visa through marriage, I have a quick question.

The background is that back in June, following advice I received on this forum, I successfully obtained a one year multiple entry Non Immigrant O Visa based on my Marriage, in Savannakhet. I am now in the process of raising the required 400,000 Baht back in the UK. Once that is organised, I will be transferring it into my Thai bank account.

My question is, will they accept the funds being held in a joint account in the names of me and my wife? This is the account I have always used, and intend to continue using. So this is the account the funds will be transferred into. But having read some of the posts on this thread, I've started to worry that they might insist on it being in an account in my sole name. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also, I'm assuming my application should be done in the Immigration office covering the area of my home address (Nonthaburi). Is that the case? Or can I process it at Chaeng Wattana?

Any advice will be most appreciated.

why not go for E edu visa, sign for school, go for thai lang once per week, or if u clever u dont even have to go there, no need leave thailand every 3 months...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there is currently a crackdown on this practice.

why not go for E edu visa, sign for school, go for thai lang once per week, or if u clever u dont even have to go there, no need leave thailand every 3 months...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there is currently a crackdown on this practice.

Yes I read that they intend to crack down on it.

Intend.

TIT.

@ Vintage: no surprise, for marriage OYSP extension you have to show proof of 400k baht in thai bank account since 2 months the first years, 3 months next years. They wanna see a letter from the bank (most popular have branches just inside Laksì government complex) of the very same day and maybe better go there with bank passbook updated the same day.

Take the document list there at immigration, so you'll be aware of what they may ask you next year :)

uh, and remember pictures of the house and with your wife have to be done new every year

@ Vintage: no surprise, for marriage OYSP extension you have to show proof of 400k baht in thai bank account since 2 months the first years, 3 months next years. They wanna see a letter from the bank (most popular have branches just inside Laksì government complex) of the very same day and maybe better go there with bank passbook updated the same day.

Take the document list there at immigration, so you'll be aware of what they may ask you next year

uh, and remember pictures of the house and with your wife have to be done new every year

============

In October 2011 when I did my original retirement extension I had a bank letter issued the day before...less than 24 hours old.

This was done at Chaneng Wattana here in Bangkok.

Then I was also requested to go down to the 1st floor...where the Bank office branches are....and make a token 100 Baht deposit or withdrawal with my passbook.

It was explained by the immigration officer that she wanted to see the passbook entry from that transaction in my passbook.

When that was done the immigration officer initialed by request form....and passed it to her supervisor for approval.

It seems to be a common practice in Chaeng Wattana (the government office complex at Laksi).

I published that information on this very forum topic telling everyone to bring their passbook with them on their iniial application for an extension then back in October 2011.

Always remember....the immigration has the option and right to ask you for furtrher information and/or documents if they think it necessary.

So always be ready,

thumbsup.gif

Note: At least with Bangkok Bank...maybe the other banks also...in Chaeng Wattana that branch can issue you a account verification/balance letter right there at in Chaeng Wattana.

There's an English sign inside the Bangkok Bank there that tells you to go to a certain counter with your passbook and they will issue you a verification letter.

Seems they do it quite often.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Are you confusing the US immigration officers with their security officers ?

I've never had a bad experience with the American immigration officers (I just immigrated to US just this year) unlike those sourfaced people at chaeng wattana. Some people might complain or believe they treat visa applicants from some countries with contempt, but the American immigration are much nicer (and do smile) and professional than Thais.

Take the document list there at immigration, so you'll be aware of what they may ask you next year smile.png

The requirement is 2 months for all Thai wife extensions of stay when using the 400k in account method.

it is all about showing you, you are only a guest here at the discretion of a low officer earning 20.000 baht tops per month, but you, you have to show them you have 20x more money on a bank account earning no interest

i guess many of those low grade officers drull and dream of the amounts on your account, and must feel happy to get you some crap if they can

but as you said, smile and smile... getting angry gets you nowhere

just go to the circus and undergo the spectacle

• Like 1

Just curious -

I plan to get the Non-Immigrant O visa (thai marriage) my next trip (in December).

1) My Bangkok bank account is a joint savings account, can I get my spouse removed from that account prior to applying so i will look like the sole account holder?

2) I live/work in South Korea (with wifey) - If I get this visa with the multiple entry option, do I not need to return to thailand every 90 days to "check-in"?

PS - For those who ask "why do you want this visa even though u live and work in south korea?" - I prefer to have THIS visa in case my contract does not get renewed and I have to leave South Korea in a pinch. I'm a "land on my feet running" kinda guy and would rather have paperwork done in advance should I need it done.

Edited by JeffreyWitty

You do not need to do 90 day reports unless you stay in Thailand for more than 90 days.

I assume you are writing about an extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai with a multiple re-entry permit.

When you change the bank account to having only your name on the account that will mean the 60 days seasoning will restart from that date.

Or are you asking about a multiple entry visa?

Edited by ubonjoe

1. Believe you will have to establish your own account.

2. Re-entry permit would allow return any time and 90 day reports are only due if you stay in Thailand more than 90 days without leaving so no you would not have to return on any schedule.

You are aware that Thai wife extension will take in excess of 30 days during which time you will have to appear to obtain the final stamp? For most working people multi entry non immigrant O visa is the better option.

I assume you are writing about an extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai with a multiple re-entry permit.

When you change the bank account to having only your name on the account that will mean the 60 days seasoning will restart from that date.

Correct - extension of stay based upon marriage to a thai.

60 day restart? Argh. Ok, I guess I WON'T be setting up my visa on my next trip. ;)