My Driver's License Story

TheWalkingMan

A question on the timing of the renewal; Do I have to wait until my license has expired or can I do this just before as well?

You can do it before it expires. Whatever day you do it will be one year from then. Do NOT wait until it has expired.

Not sure if the OP is holding a 1 or a 5 year license, either way you can go before or after expiry, no problem. (Previously you actually had to let your 1 year license expire before you could get the 5 year one, this has now changed.)

If you’re currently holding a 5 year license, letting it expire by a day or more before applying, will grant you a new license that’s valid for close to 6 years.

The 5 year licenses expires on your birthday, has nothing to do with application date.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are going from 1 year to 5 year it must have expired as I understand you cannot renew before this.

If you are renewing both licences surely you only need one resident cert from imigration and at most a copy, can anyone confirm this

Just a minor correction. DMV doesn't exist. It is DLT Department of Land Transportthumbsup.gif

Dude, thanks! I kept thinking that DMV was wrong but I did not know the proper name.

Just one question, what kind of visa are you on? Can you do it on a tourist visa? I did a renewal this year but I had a Non O visa and I am enquiring on behalf of a friend. Thanks.

No visa, just the 30 day stamp as I pop in and out of the country and never bothered with applying for a visa. This is in Pattaya and Pattaya might be more flexible as there are so many people who, like me, never apply to stay longer than 30 days but are in town on a somewhat regular basis. If your friend is in Pattaya, he/she should just go ahead and get it sorted. It removes the anxiety of riding around town and having the police pull you over. I got pulled over once before and it was not a pleasant feeling.

U can use an international license for a 3 month period,so if u dont live here u dont need a thai one,except for discount atplaces like zoos etc

Good descriptive topic smile.png

What did the actual bike ride test consist of, if I may ask?

The bike test was as follows...

From the starting line you go into a slalom of about 5 cones. Do not hit the cones. Next you must ride up a small, narrow raised section of cement (think balance beam but only 10 centimeters off the ground and maybe narrow enough for two scooter tires) for about 10 meters. If you do not make it to the end, you fail. They are very strict about this and will watch you like a hawk to make sure that you make it all the way. Go straight for maybe 10-12 meters and make a right turn, another quick right, then a left (ignore the stop sign but watch the demonstration in case it is a trap). Follow the path around until you get to the next stop sign. You must stop here. Go about 30 meters more and there is another stop sign. You must stop here also. At this point I think the test is over, but the guy who did the demonstration turned left, then another left, essentially a U-turn into the area behind the main building and followed the road to the front of the building, the parking lot. From there I just parked my bike in the area of the starting line of the test and got my result.

I made a JPG of google earth and marked the course, but I cannot get it to upload/attach. I also made a PDF file and that would not upload/attach also. Strange...

Wow, I just took 3 short physical tests (depth perception, stop/go pedals, and color blindness). No driving test. No written test. Took my picture, paid my fee, and then became the owner of a new motorbike driver's license. Amazing the differences between the various offices around the country. Like they all run their own little kingdom without any central coordination.

If you are going from 1 year to 5 year it must have expired as I understand you cannot renew before this.

This has changed, you can now renew about a month in advance. No personal experience, but been reading it on the board.

If you are renewing both licences surely you only need one resident cert from imigration and at most a copy, can anyone confirm this

Yes one original and one copy is fine. Did this last time.

The narrow beam you go across your legs can't assis you at all just punch it & go to the end(only if you have a scooter- Not on a sportbike )

When I went for my bike license a few years ago, nobody at the driving test site spoke English, so off I went. I came back proud that I passed. Nope. They sent me out again. Returned again prematurely proud. The tester sighed and walked me over to the narrow beam and pointed. Ooops. I never even saw it before. I sailed right passed it. So, it took me *three* times to pass the bloody test! biggrin.png

• 1 month later...

A question on the timing of the renewal; Do I have to wait until my license has expired or can I do this just before as well?

You can do it before it expires. Whatever day you do it will be one year from then. Do NOT wait until it has expired.

Not sure if the OP is holding a 1 or a 5 year license, either way you can go before or after expiry, no problem. (Previously you actually had to let your 1 year license expire before you could get the 5 year one, this has now changed.)

If you’re currently holding a 5 year license, letting it expire by a day or more before applying, will grant you a new license that’s valid for close to 6 years.

The 5 year licenses expires on your birthday, has nothing to do with application date.

This is correct. Was told 2 days by Supervisor at CM Motor Vehicle, that you could come as early as 60 days prior to expiration.

And, whether you are issued renewal of 1 year or 5 year, depends on your Visa. If you have the 1-year Ext. of Stay, she said

you get the 5-year renewal.

This is correct. Was told 2 days by Supervisor at CM Motor Vehicle, that you could come as early as 60 days prior to expiration.

And, whether you are issued renewal of 1 year or 5 year, depends on your Visa. If you have the 1-year Ext. of Stay, she said

you get the 5-year renewal.

Rules do differ a bit between the LTOs.

In Pattaya you don’t need a 1-year extension of stay to get the 5-year renewal, a 90-day permission to stay is good enough here.

• 3 weeks later...

I am color blind. Has anyone with a color blind problem taken the test? I have gotten drivers licenses in the states, so if the colors are pretty obvious in the Thai test I should have no problem.

You know the tests with all the colored dots on a card that make an image of some sort? I hope they don't do that test. I always see the image that only color blind people see!

I intentionally waited till mine expired a few weeks so that when I renewed I received 5 years 11 months vs the 5 yrs I would have gotten had I renewed prior to expiration. I did mine at the pattaya office.

I am color blind. Has anyone with a color blind problem taken the test? I have gotten drivers licenses in the states, so if the colors are pretty obvious in the Thai test I should have no problem.

You know the tests with all the colored dots on a card that make an image of some sort? I hope they don't do that test. I always see the image that only color blind people see!

It's not that kind of test at all. All they test is the colors red, yellow, and green (the colors used in traffic lights). It's a circle with red, yellow, and green color dots. They'll point at one of the dots and ask what color it is. Edited by BB1950

I made a JPG of google earth and marked the course, but I cannot get it to upload/attach. I also made a PDF file and that would not upload/attach also. Strange...

This one is easy. When you have what you want on your screen, press your PrtScn key. That copies the screen to your clipboard. I next use Adobe Photoshop to create a file to paste into. There is a free program called Irfanview that you can download. Just open it and go edit/paste, or hit Ctrl+P. It will make the .jpg. Now use Irfanview's tool to crop, and its other tool to resize, save the file to wherever you want it, and upload.

As many times as I've done it, I can make and save the .jpg as fast as I can type this message.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Edited by NeverSure

Got my 5 year licence recently at Pattaya, but had to make 2 trips. I read on here that you don't need a health cert for a renewal but you most definitely DO. Apart from that it was all fine, my 1 year license had expired by a couple of weeks and nothing was said, my new license was actually good for 6 years for some reason..

Got my 5 year licence recently at Pattaya, but had to make 2 trips. I read on here that you don't need a health cert for a renewal but you most definitely DO. Apart from that it was all fine, my 1 year license had expired by a couple of weeks and nothing was said, my new license was actually good for 6 years for some reason..

This requirement must change regularly. When I did my 5 yr renewal at the same office in June of this year I provided no med certificate and was not asked for one.

Also, in fairly certain I was shown the colored dots test for color blindness where you have to look at dots and tell them what number you see in the picture.

This requirement must change regularly. When I did my 5 yr renewal at the same office in June of this year I provided no med certificate and was not asked for one.

Also, in fairly certain I was shown the colored dots test for color blindness where you have to look at dots and tell them what number you see in the picture.

Requirements for anything from a government office depend on who is sitting behind the desk that day.

Apparently they renew by 5 years to the next birthday so you can get nearly 6 years if you time it right.

Apparently they renew by 5 years to the next birthday so you can get nearly 6 years if you time it right.

Yes, that's what happened.

If you go from 1yr to 5yr then you need medical cert. Going from 1 yr to 5 yr IS NOT a renewal but an upgrade. Renewing expired 5yr licenses do not require med cert.

• Like 1

If you go from 1yr to 5yr then you need medical cert. Going from 1 yr to 5 yr IS NOT a renewal but an upgrade. Renewing expired 5yr licenses do not require med cert.

Blimey, you're picking the bones out of that aren't ya?? Point being I read on here that to get your 5 year license from a 1 year does not require a med cert, which was not correct, you can term it how you like pal. I'm just letting folk here know, it didn't particualry bother me, it gave me something to do the next day cheesy.gif

Blimey, you're picking the bones out of that aren't ya?? Point being I read on here that to get your 5 year license from a 1 year does not require a med cert, which was not correct, you can term it how you like pal. I'm just letting folk here know, it didn't particualry bother me, it gave me something to do the next day cheesy.gif

Not having a pop mate but this is a popular one where people get the wrong information and have to make another trip.

• 4 months later...

I plan to try to get my local driver's license in couple of weeks time when visiting Pattaya next time.

Regarding the residence certificate issued by Immigration, I am wondering what I should provide for that. I recently bought

a company owned property, company now transferred to my name. Are copies of property documents good enough,

or should I still ask something from the property management company? Have not paid any bills yet.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

I plan to try to get my local driver's license in couple of weeks time when visiting Pattaya next time.

Regarding the residence certificate issued by Immigration, I am wondering what I should provide for that. I recently bought

a company owned property, company now transferred to my name. Are copies of property documents good enough,

or should I still ask something from the property management company? Have not paid any bills yet.

Has Jomtien Immigration stopped issuing the "residence certificate" too (as Chiang Mai Immigration has stopped issuing it)?

If they have stopped issuing it, then not only the drivers license but a vehicle purchase in Pattaya area will require a trip to consulate or embassy in Bkk (I guess).

Has Jomtien Immigration stopped issuing the "residence certificate" too (as Chiang Mai Immigration has stopped issuing it)?

If they have stopped issuing it, then not only the drivers license but a vehicle purchase in Pattaya area will require a trip to consulate or embassy in Bkk (I guess).

that would be bad news, hope not...anybody has recent experiences with Jomtien Immigration on this?

So what do you need for a update to a 5 year licence, i have to update it soon so a medical certificate and a residence certificate and a bunch of pictures?

Dont think they will do that, they will keep issuing it.

^ Juliusk - If you haven't got a work permit then you'll need residency cert, passport & medical cert if you are upgrading from 1 to 5 year. No need for photos anymore as it is all done by them on the computer.

that would be bad news, hope not...anybody has recent experiences with Jomtien Immigration on this?

Went to Jomtien 18apr13. Made my "residence certificate" in 15min. for my drivers lic. renewal