Tollway Crash Teenager Gets Two-Year Suspended Sentence

Lite Beer

It is good to see that Thailand protects children and adhere's to the treaty on the rights of the child. Especially regarding youngsters the aim of the law is not to punish, but to correct wrong behaviour.

Let's not forget this isn't murder, as some seem to want to make out of it. It was a very, very tragic accident. And don't forget that driving by minors is not exactly rare in Thailand and it are often the adults who fail to act against it.

Wow - someone with a brain posted on TV. Thanks Mario wise words and cooler heads prefail.

• Like 2

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the teenager is banned from driving until she is 25 years old

Yeah right - that should stop her. Like how she was afraid of the law and didn't drive when she was underage. mad.gif

Edited by Payboy
  • Like 1

I wonder why the hi-so people act as if they can get away with anything. Because they can?

A suspended sentence. Forty eight hours of community service. Outrageous and disgusting, even for Thailand's judicial system! Jail time and many millions of baht in compensation was a realististic sentence.

You can bet the many millions of baht bit happened already or she would not of got this sentence!

You can bet it hasn't! Has money been paid? sure but i bet you it wasnt millions maybe 200k each victim? life sadly is cheap in thailand.

120 million to be divided between the 9 victims families is slightly more than 200k each but still nowhere near enough.

This should have made people control their kids more, but it is saying "hey you can drive and if anything happens get away with it", what they should do is

slam the father or mother in Jail for a period of 3 months, to show kids what can happen, maybe they would think twice about driving and the parents might think twice about letting them drive.

• Like 2

This is disgusting but don't blame just thailand. The Kennedy's have killed, the Waltons(owners of Walmart) etc..without even a mention in the news. Its the system not one particular place. Money wins, we lose...always...everywhere

• Like 1

What concerns me about this sentence is not the fact that a 16 year old girl has been handed the sentence of that of a minor - thats fair enough.

No responsibility or blame has been laid at the hands of those who were in her charge and permitted her to drive the car in the first place.

If a parent allows an 8 year old to play with a live gun and the 8 year old kills 9 people in the process who is really to blame ?

IF a 16 year old child is being tried as a minor, someone is then responsible for allowing her to drive the car illegally.

What is really concerning is that there appears to be no learning. No message to other parents that by allowing their child to drive a vehicle underage they themselves are accountable and are breaking the law.

I agree with this from a moral point of view.

However, do you know of any country where your last paragraph holds true? I don't.

And how do you prove parental consent for the minor to drive?

I believe her mother made a statement that the girl liked to speed - indicating knowledge of a crime she did nothing to prevent.

It is good to see that Thailand protects children and adhere's to the treaty on the rights of the child. Especially regarding youngsters the aim of the law is not to punish, but to correct wrong behaviour.

Let's not forget this isn't murder, as some seem to want to make out of it. It was a very, very tragic accident. And don't forget that driving by minors is not exactly rare in Thailand and it are often the adults who fail to act against it.

Finally a poster that talks like a mature adult. The nasty vendictive, negative posters that want blood and executions should just disappear. It is amazing they have something negative and angry to say about almost every single news article posted on TV. If you want to know whats happening in the world between countires, just listen to the people talk.

• Like 2

This should have made people control their kids more, but it is saying "hey you can drive and if anything happens get away with it", what they should do is

slam the father or mother in Jail for a period of 3 months, to show kids what can happen, maybe they would think twice about driving and the parents might think twice about letting them drive.

Culpability isn't big in Thailand & nor it would seem is parential responsability.

Typical. Rich or well connected family, you can get away with murder here. Nothing changes.

Actually, the girl's father should be held liable. He allowed his daughter to drive the car before she was of legal age.

It was an accident and not malicious, but she shouldn't have been behind the wheel, and therefore, her parents should be prosecuted. With the high connected family name, that would never happen of course.

• Like 1

Outrage is understandable. But, there's a lot of Thailand bashing too.

Around the world, death by dangerous driving is generally dealt with fines, suspended sentences and suspensions. It's rare for a custodial sentance.

The bigger question is why have the charge of DBDD - without it everyone would catch manslaughter charges which carry custodial sentences.

What aload of BS you have written.. she was underage and killed 9 ppl.... I dont know any countries in Europe where you would be set free..

• Like 1

This is outrageous. No other word for it.

Is the fact she was 16 at the time helping reduce her sentence here? I do know that 14-18 is the age you would enter a youth correctional facility. So they do make a distinction between adults and youths and would have different sentencing.

She should serve her term now. In full. No excuses or suspensions. Adequate compensation should be paid to the families involved. Sadly neither of these things have happened and it's not in the least bit surprising.

No. She helped the BIB work out what happened. That's huge Brownie points in Thailand, as they haven't got a clue.

She helped the investigation when she said, "Oh Shit, I'm out of control, I'm gonna hit a van and kill people!"

For that, she got a recommendation, and five + points on her licence when she gets it back in 2563............ as likely she'll get it back for 1,000 baht next year, 2556!

-mel.Your post makes me Laugh the family of the people I feel for know money can bring them back,Thai Law is well different,In Central America a mayor of a town hit and killed a guy on a bike late at night 3 am he was Drunk said in the Newspaper the next day it said the guy riding his bicycle was drunk and ran into the Mayor car go figure O know Jail time

she was 16 not a child so i disagree.. so its ok to kill 9 ppl and be unpunished.. What world are you living in

Finally a poster that talks like a mature adult. The nasty vendictive, negative posters that want blood and executions should just disappear. It is amazing they have something negative and angry to say about almost every single news article posted on TV. If you want to know whats happening in the world between countires, just listen to the people talk.

Nobody is calling for blood, just justice!! She is 16, she knows the consequences of her actions. When somebody drives a car drunk they dont go out with the intention to kill someone but they understand the risks involved.

Its not murder but it is manslaughter. The sentence is a disgrace and anyone who disagree's needs to seriously question their own mindset! How would you react if the victims were in your family??

Quite frankly, its time that expats living in this host country let the Thais take care of their affairs and country (including the politics) without the help of all the foreign experts on everything that happens. When something directly involves you and your family, then give your opinions with the proper people.

I am not defending what she did, but her punishment is not our business, or does it deserve the kind of comments that are made public on this public blog. This is a very different culture here, and either we can enjoy being here or we have a choice to find a cculture that causes a more enjoyable experience.

Edited by Lifer
  • Like 2

Disgusted, but not really surprised.

This was always going to be swept under the carpet. The parents of the killer driver should also be held accountable, but that's not going to happen. Money talks and bullshit walks in Thailand.