Beautiful Shipping Container House

a raw container goes for around 100k baht. +/-

Id love to build a house from all steel, it would be fast. There would be a need for a big roof with wide overhangs though, but that would be better for any home to keep it out of the sun.

An empty used seacontainer goes from 50.000 to 100.000. They are not as cheap as in the USA or even Europe. There they start from 25.000 baht because they end up there without cargo to ship back. In Thailand there is still enough export to ship those containers out.

After changing it would certainly not be cheaper then a simple house.

However the whole point of a seacontainer should be that it is moveable. I see many examples on the internet that use it as a framework, in many countries that is cheaper but inThailand the proven post and beam framework is even cheaper.

Protecting it against rust, building the inside, i would prefer to do it like a luxury camper or boat will all add to that cost.

Cheaper, call it "index-living" style it would be around 300.000. Going up to better quality it probably will end up at least 500.000.

If two containers are combined i estimate it to be around 1.000.000 baht. This will then be around 65m2 living space.

Cheaper then an equally sized condo. The advantage is that it can be put anywhere you want because it does not need a building permit.

It is owned fully.

The land can still be a problem as it can be quit expensive as most want 30 years paid in advance (same as buying it.). It would defeat the point of having a movable house.

Better suited are rental contracts that can be paid monthly or yearly. The length of the contract itself can be anywhere between 1 month and 30 years.

We are preparing for such by buying plots of land throughout the country. Rental payments would be month by month or yearly with a discount.

By having more pieces of land it would be easy to change location. This however is a lengthy process and i expect to have enough plots of land in about 5 years.

At the moment we only have some in Ban Krut and are currently busy to buy some in Ao noi (close to Prachuap Khirikhan), Krabi and Huahin area. If those are obtained we will look east and north. Locations should be easy to get to, and not to far (within 5-10 min bicycle range) from beach or city. Of course they can not be expensive, because then the rental price would be to high, except when it is in a fabulous location.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I'm real curious if anyone is aware of any shipping container developments going on in Chiang Mai (in development or complete). I've always thought they'd make a cool building block and would love to cast my eyes on one in the flesh, even if just from a distance ;)

Thanks,

Keith

built one on my organic farm in Illinois; used 2 of them with 8 foot space between them that i used trusses giving me a second floor; total square footage of 1200; i used hired labor for the entire project and the total cost was around 60k US

too bad i am computer challenged or i would upload pics of the process