Beautiful Shipping Container House

I also like the concept of using shipping containers for housing. With appropriate shading, it is suitable in Thailand, too. For the money, it gives you a very sturdy structure. Container houses are earthquake-proof - in contrast to the typical concrete construction.

The style is a matter of taste, of course! But there are many option; from the genuine "rusty" type until a house where you no more see the container core.

Shipping container were my first choice for our weekend house in the Roi-Et province. Unfortunately, I am not the only who decides...biggrin.png So we start building a more conservative house - but with steel frame and prefab walls.

http://asitespecific...or-made-prefab/

https://www.facebook.com/prefablab

I'm wondering if it's not a great solution for the expat in Thailand.

I can't own the land, but I can own the house.

If I lose the lease on the land, or the wife decides to trade up to a younger, richer or more local model, I hire a truck and move my house.

Or am I missing something?

Looks great. Thanks for posting.

BTW- that's a hypothetical wife in my case... I'm already at my limit.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

I stayed at a guest house in Malaysia and the couple who owned it lived in a container while it was under construction. They said heat was not a problem IF:

1) Put it in the shade

2) Insulate the ceiling

3) Cut plenty of openings for cross ventilation.

True , it is a good idea . like somebody stated , you cannot have the land but you can have the house , so if there is trouble , you can actually pack up and go . You can even buy a fridge container where a aircon is build in tongue.png .

Now only find some decent containers at good price .

If I lose the lease on the land, or the wife decides to trade up to a younger, richer or more local model, I hire a truck and move my house.

Yeah, it's called a caravan. thumbsup.gif

Yeah, it's called a caravan. thumbsup.gif

Problems with a caravan (assuming you're from the far south and caravan refers to an RV trailer):

1) They're a little too portable and anyone with a truck can make it disappear in minutes

2) They're generally not optimized for long term living, but for light weight.

3) See #1 above and think how you'd feel if you came home one evening and found yourself homeless.

Edited by impulse

When the wife kicks you off the land don't spend money hauling the thing away just call the scrap metal dealer, he might even pay you 100THB.

• Like 1

Please NO !!! "roughing it" in container accommodation in the North Sea during some of the oil field hook up's in the late 70's/early 80's is a memory i would like to forget!!!!!

Anyone suggesting having such ludicrous ideas about using containers for permanent accommodation should have their dangly bits removed without anesthetic!!

I also like the concept of using shipping containers for housing. With appropriate shading, it is suitable in Thailand, too. For the money, it gives you a very sturdy structure. Container houses are earthquake-proof - in contrast to the typical concrete construction.

The style is a matter of taste, of course! But there are many option; from the genuine "rusty" type until a house where you no more see the container core.

Shipping container were my first choice for our weekend house in the Roi-Et province. Unfortunately, I am not the only who decides...biggrin.png So we start building a more conservative house - but with steel frame and prefab walls.

http://asitespecific...or-made-prefab/

https://www.facebook.com/prefablab

The artists' impressions on the first link look nice (notice absent price list ...), but wonder about the 'eco' aspect. As another poster pointed out, it'll be hot as Hades in one of those in this country (think getting into your car after it having been parked in the sun for 30 minutes, but bigger and longer time), so either you cut a lot of openings which would require a lot of glass (for when it rains), which would require an enormous amount of energy being used to air con the thing = astronomical utility bill.

Shipping containers been done to death now anyway.

Edited by silsburyhill

Action speak louder than words, and this choice of home shouts out your intended permanency of the relationship with your wife and in-laws.

Good idea for a granny flat or studio office or something else that is small, but a family home out of these would'nt work for me. Like Lenny said, when you have lived in humpies for any amount of time then inside it is the last place you want to be. Would be O.K. for a place like Thailand if it was just me and the missus, something to do for fun and something different. easy.

These seem like a cool idea until one really gets into it. Small spaces, low ceilings, little flexibility of room size, inheriting an old coating of lead-based paint possibly.

With the cost of local Thai construction so low for simple geometric forms such as these containers represent, buying an old container and using torches to cut holes for doors & windows, then making it smaller with insulation & finishes on the inside... all to create a cramped little room makes little sense unless portability is of primary importance to the owner, or it's just a temporary accommodation.

My very first simple design of a 2 container 65m2, 2/3 bedroom movable house.

Can be transporter with 2 full container loads.

post-7665-0-22534100-1346609546_thumb.pn

It is one of my projects on a back burner. It is an ideal solution for the ownership problems in Thailand.

And of course you are not stuck on 1 spot. In preparation we already bought a few land plots around the country to be able to offer both land and movable house in the future.

I have not cracked the problem yet to load and unload the containers without the help of a crane.

There are solution but they are a little rough.

My very first simple design of a 2 container 65m2, 2/3 bedroom movable house.

Can be transporter with 2 full container loads.

post-7665-0-22534100-1346609546_thumb.pn

It is one of my projects on a back burner. It is an ideal solution for the ownership problems in Thailand.

And of course you are not stuck on 1 spot. In preparation we already bought a few land plots around the country to be able to offer both land and movable house in the future.

I have not cracked the problem yet to load and unload the containers without the help of a crane.

There are solution but they are a little rough.

You could maybe utilise a jack leg system the same idea as the portakabins?

This system comes close, connecting those pillars to the container directly on the four corners with twistlocs instead of chains under it would be a lot more stable i think.

You have to prevent this: smile.png

Size it up for a 20ft and 40ft container and put some larger tractor like wheels on it to be able to go over land.

Like having these with big wheels and a beam to the top of the container to be able to lift it high enough to take it of a truck.

?v=ampBqnBgTjE

Another:

?v=rn-tKiOfjr0

All have something but not what i need, so it probably will be a mix of them, who knows maybe that is a interesting product by itself.

Edited by Khun Jean