Thai Govt's Flood Plan Pleases Foreign Diplomats

webfact

Flood plan pleases diplomats

Pongphon Sarnsamak,

Jeerapong Prasertpolkrang

The Nation

30189562-01_big.jpg

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra presides over the Water Exhibition held by the National Water Resources and Flood Policy Committee yesterday.

BANGKOK: -- PM and key ministers demonstrate govt's preparedness at committee's exhibition; Yingluck outlines measures taken to prevent recurrence of last year's disaster

Foreign diplomats and water experts yesterday expressed confidence in the government's flood-prevention measures for this year, saying the authorities appeared to be well prepared.

"I am very hopeful and a lot more confident, judging from the situation on the ground, that we will be able to face the floods even if they are of the same magnitude as last year," Bangladeshi Ambassador Kazi Imtiaz Hossain said.

He spoke to The Nation after attending the Water Exhibition held by the National Water Resources and Flood Policy Committee yesterday.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and her ministers led a group of local and foreign journalists, as well as diplomats and potential investors, to a display of water-prevention measures at CentralPlaza Lat Phrao's Bangkok Convention Hall. She spent an hour and a half explaining the measures to those present.

"I am very impressed with the depth of her knowledge. She took us around the exhibition, proving her personal commitment, which is very important to us," Hossain said.

The exhibition, which was opened to members of the public later yesterday and will run until tomorrow, aims to show the government's preparedness in handling floods this year. Multimedia displays show people the impact of climate change and what the government will be doing to prevent floods by providing real-time information of water levels and an early-warning system.

"The exhibition itself is very informative and boosts the confidence of not only foreign investors but also experts could see the very effective flood prevention and protection measures," the Bangladeshi ambassador said.

He suggested that the government should consider long-term projects and the sustainability of flood-prevention measures by allowing the community to get involved in all flood or disaster-prevention plans.

Meanwhile, Switzerland's ambassador to Thailand, Christine Schraner Burgener, said the exhibition showed the readiness of the government to handle the flood situation this year.

"This is a good exhibition on Thailand's preparedness and building awareness," she said.

She added that the government had heeded recommendations from experts not only in Thailand but also outside regarding its flood-prevention plan.

During the exhibition, Yingluck told the invitees that her government had prepared several measures to prevent floods such as forest restoration and plantation, creating water retention areas, dredging shallow canals, raising road surfaces, installing pumps and improving the early-warning system.

The government has also set up a single command centre to manage flood prevention and relief operations.

Additionally, it will spend more than Bt350 billion for long-term flood prevention, including large construction projects such as dams, floodways and flood-diversion systems.

The Nation's reporters at the exhibition, however, found no information to explain to the public whether floods could inundate their houses. Also, the text size in the brochures distributed to the invitees was unreadable, as it was too small.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-01

Quote: During the exhibition, Yingluck told the invitees that her government had prepared several measures to prevent floods such as forest restoration and plantation, creating water retention areas, dredging shallow canals, raising road surfaces, installing pumps and improving the early-warning system.

Basically everything that should have been in place last year before the rains came.. but then T.I.T

Which waits until the inevitable happens then takes half the measures required to prevent a re occurrence.

Quote: During the exhibition, Yingluck told the invitees that her government had prepared several measures to prevent floods such as forest restoration and plantation, creating water retention areas, dredging shallow canals, raising road surfaces, installing pumps and improving the early-warning system.

Basically everything that should have been in place last year before the rains came.. but then T.I.T

Which waits until the inevitable happens then takes half the measures required to prevent a re occurrence.

Absolutely....what was the Democrat government thinking about!!...

I have to go there... I have my doubts. Whatever is coming from this new waterway expert in Burberry outfit is to be taken with care and precaution. We know what Shinawatra talk is. In my opinion, basically NOTHING has been done since last year's flood apart from some flood walls (which will increase the waterlevels upstream), retention areas (which will be filled in less than 3 hours or so), and dredging the canals which only will increase the drainage capacity of the Chao Phraya with 2 or 3%. Bangkok needs 50% increase of drainage capacity...!!! In brief, if the same volume of water as last year will come down the river, there will be the same amount of damage and the same area of flooding, FOR SURE. What the country needs is a big evacuation channel, half the size of the Chao Phraya, which can handle at least 2,500 m3/sec. All the rest is window dressing and food for red shirt contractors... a huge load of wasted money!

I am on my way now to Central Ladphrao...crying.gif

• Like 2

lol... the big feel good show... difference with last year is: last year we already had enourmous rains and the dams where full

and the fools release all at once in a panic attack

this year, there is drought ...

but do not let the slap each other on the shoulder good show fool anybody

as good as nothing has been done, except talking how they will split up the billions amongst each other

Not to forget thigh length Burberry's

Some idiots kept him pre-occupied maybe?

Well I hate to spoil the nah-nah party, but the government deserves credit for this. Yes, it's a year late but better late than never.

No mention of the Swiss ambassador's comments, which were also positive.

I am not a PTP supporter but do believe in credit where credit is due.

Some idiots kept him pre-occupied maybe?

The cabinet?

Oh my God i do pity all of you winging cynics. The shame of it is that I doubt if any of you know what you are talking about. Thailand has consulted with the best western engineering companies in the management of her flood defenses since at least the past 30 years. But for lifetime of design and construction and engineering excellence by Thai and 'Farang' engineers working together Bangkok by now would be underwater every wet season.

Further the PM does know what she is talking about.You're obviously unaware of her academic achievements and management skills.

Text size in the brochures handed out was unreadable. Reporters found no info that would tell the people if their houses would be inundated from the next flood. Yep that was truly a successful and assuring presentation for the masses of Thailand. Sounds more like something hastily put together to show progress is being made.