Taxi Drivers Unhappy About Crackdown

Lite Beer

Taxi drivers unhappy about crackdown

Thanaphat Kitjakosol

The Nation on Sunday

30189573-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The campaign against taxi drivers who turn down passengers has met with complaints from the cabbies and also raised doubts among commuters about their success.

Cabbies criticised the Bt1,000 fine for refusing to accept passengers as the crackdown kicked off yesterday.

Passengers believe the measure is not going to meet with success unless there is strict enforcement.

Taxi drivers will be immediately fined Bt1,000 if they are caught red-handed refusing to accept passengers while leaving the "vacant" sign on and in cases where passengers complain to police present at the scene.

Pol Col Weerawit Wajanapukka of Traffic Police Division said if police are not present at the scene, passengers can file a complaint on hotline 1584 or 1197 or www.trafficpolice.go.th by providing the name of the driver, the taxi registration number, and the time and place of the incident. Police will then summon the driver for investigation and prosecution.

The top reasons or excuses cited by taxi drivers for not accepting passengers are: taxi rental time is up and the vehicle must be returned, running out of gas, traffic congestion, the distance is too short or too long, passengers refusing to pay more for excessively long distance, accepting only foreign passengers.

None of these reasons can exempt them from being fined. What irritates many passengers is when the drivers turn them down without citing any reason, with only a shake of their head.

Udon Khanti, chairman of the Volunteer Taxi Cub, believes the Bt1,000 fine for a first-offence is too harsh. He said taxi drivers should be given the right to refuse passengers in some circumstances such as those who they think may harass or assault them, and allowed to refuse to go to destinations that are too isolated where they could be at risk of being mugged.

Weerapong Butkaew, a taxi driver, said near the time to return the taxi, he cannot take a long-distance trip or to a destination out of his way because if he returns the taxi late, he would be fined by the taxi operator.

Sanya Wongtri, 29, opposed the crackdown across Bangkok and suburbs, arguing that the police should crack down only in congested areas where there are lots of passengers such as Siam, Silom, Pratunam, and Mor Chit.

Kasem Jumduang, a taxi passenger, hailed the crackdown, saying regulating taxi service is much needed but he was not sure the measure is practical and effective because police are not present at the scene everywhere. If taxi drivers are summoned by police they can simply deny involvement.

"It may be like other enforcement measures such as crash helmet and seat belts, which die down after a few months of campaign,'' he said.

Piyathip Tantaprapa, a company employee, disapproved of the crackdowns saying it gives the police a chance to harass taxi drivers. She believed the problem should be tackled at the root by giving training and screening taxi drivers so as to grant professional licences only to those without criminal records.

Chantra Kochokchai, 46, said she was often turned down, but she feared the crackdown would not be consistent.

The crackdown on taxi drivers is part of ongoing efforts by the Metropolitan Police Bureau to solve the traffic congestion. Other measures such as banning police from setting up checkpoints to give tickets during rush hours and monitoring on-duty traffic police by putting cameras on them to reduce bribery have received overwhelming public support.

The MPB is planning to strictly crack down against motorists for 13 other offences: racing on public roads; excessive speed, unsafe overtaking, drunk driving, travelling the wrong way up, not wearing a crash helmet, double parking, no licence plates, excessive toxic fumes, illegal parking, parking on a footpath, driving along a footpath, and taxi drivers refusing to accept passengers. Traffic offenders will receive a warning ticket for a first-time offence and if they repeat the offence, they will be fined at the maximum rate.

Statistics show that about 12,800 people filed complaints against taxi drivers for several offences from January to June this year. The top complaints included refusing to accept passengers, verbally rude, dropping off passengers before the agreed destination, unsafe driving, and refusing to use the meter. Of the total, 4,207 taxi drivers or 32 per cent have been summoned for questioning and fined.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-02

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Few cases of cabbies rejecting passengers on 1st day

Jessada Jantharak,

Wisit Chuanpipatpong

The Nation on Sunday

30189577-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Only 13 complaints were received yesterday when the Metropolitan Police Bureau started imposing a Bt1,000 fine on any taxi driver turning down passengers.

All the taxi drivers against whom complaints were received would be located and fined if they were found to have actually refused to accept the passengers, the police said.

The Land Transport Depart-ment's passenger protection centre yesterday received complaints against 13 taxi drivers through its 1584 hotline. The number of complaints is much lower from the average day.

The complaints were less than usual as yesterday was the weekend and the initial data from the centre under Land Transport Department was reported before data gathering time. Normally, there are an average 100 complaints about this problem every day, or about 2,000 per month. This problem has been the biggest grouse of passengers followed by taxi drivers' improper manners and reckless driving, according to the bureau.

Police said passengers who were refused by any taxi drivers despite the "vacant" sign being on, could file their complaints with police present at the scene so that the drivers could be caught red-handed. Complaints could also be made through traffic police hotline 1197 if there was no police officer present at the scene.

Passengers have to remember the licence plate, the colours of the taxi and the driver's appearance, or take a photo or record a video clip.

Senior traffic police officer Lt-Colonel Prasopchok Iampinit advised spurned passengers to video-record the taxi involved for evidence if no police was nearby to fine the cab driver on the spot.

However, taxi driver Bancha Samruatjit, 47, expressed concern that the new fine against taxis turning down passengers might be abused or unfairly implemented.

Meanwhile, many taxi drivers said they were happy with warning tickets for petty traffic violations. The warning tickets for petty traffic violations were implemented yesterday for the first day.

About 12,800 complaints were filed against taxi drivers between January and June. The top complaints included refusing to accept passengers, being verbally rude, dropping off passengers before the agreed destination, unsafe driving, and refusing to use the meter.

Top excuses

The following are the main reasons taxi drivers cite for turning down passengers:

_ Rental time is running out and the taxi must be returned

_ Running out of gas

_ Traffic congestion

_ The destination is too near or too far

_ Passengers refuse to give extra money (tip) for long distance

_ Preferring foreign passengers who tend to pay tips or are unaware of detours

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-02

I can't imagine drivers "detouring" to run up fares. After the 35baht flag drop, you are eating away at their time.

A big part of their "F1" driving style is based on the fact that they wan't to get you where you are going and snag a new flag drop.

Edited by Curt1591
  • Like 1

Bangkok is just too much of a sprawling metropolis for this to work well. I rarely, but occasionally, have been turned down, usually because the destination is too far. Personally, I don't like to be in a taxi with a driver who really doesn't want to go there.

Some drivers are rather nice and will tell you they don't know the area very well and will ask if you know the way. If not, then they would rather not go. One very nice driver actually flagged down another taxi driver to take me to my location.

• Like 2

Sounds like Melbourne, Australia. We (police) ran an blitz in conjuntion with the Victorian Taxi Directorate because of similar complaints refusing to take short fares, dirty cabs, drivers unable to speak english, unlicenced (taxi licence) airconditioning not working, taking passengers on the secenic route. The month long operation was cancelled after a week because of complaints of racism. The taxi industry (drivers) are of a certain ethnic background and a lot of students. The operation was getting excellent results but because of the claims that the operation was only being conducted to allegedly target a certain race of people and not in the interest of the public it was called off so as not to offend. In the name of political correctness. The industry is now free to operate pretty much as they like because authorities are now fearful of being branded racist.

Targeting the Aussie/anglo drivers were they?

Sounds like Melbourne, Australia. We (police) ran an blitz in conjuntion with the Victorian Taxi Directorate because of similar complaints refusing to take short fares, dirty cabs, drivers unable to speak english, unlicenced (taxi licence) airconditioning not working, taking passengers on the secenic route. The month long operation was cancelled after a week because of complaints of racism. The taxi industry (drivers) are of a certain ethnic background and a lot of students. The operation was getting excellent results but because of the claims that the operation was only being conducted to allegedly target a certain race of people and not in the interest of the public it was called off so as not to offend. In the name of political correctness. The industry is now free to operate pretty much as they like because authorities are now fearful of being branded racist.

That was a weakness on the part of management...........and a prime example of standards being driven down. It's a disgrace.

Well of course the cabbies are unhappy about the crackdown on refusing passengers, it means they have to follow the rules.

Just imagine if there was a meter crackdown on Samui or in Phuket, The drivers will be rioting there.

Correct.....which just goes to show how corrupt and out of control some areas are.....it's about time someone addressed these petty issues as these give sway to a general air of contempt and criminality which just ends up dragging everyone down, including the honest hard working drivers.

That was a weakness on the part of management...........and a prime example of standards being driven down. It's a disgrace.

Momentarily off topic.....but in Australia it is criminal what they charge for fares anyway. Why any driver would refuse any fare in OZ is hard to fathom. The cost of a taxi license in Melbourne is reportedly $470,000AUD, which contributes to poorly trained staff and services.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/fels-taxi-plan-brings-industry-call-to-arms-20120611-20619.html

Curt1591 you cannot imagine taxi drivers taken the scenic route to run up the fare , well my friend myself and wife were in bangkok recently asked for ministry foreign affairs chang wattana past don muang airport twice, wife spoke to drive , no responce, i got out at traffic lights called police over ,(they were at junction) drver said he didnt know bangkok, meter stated 943 baht , we had come from british embassy wireless road. police said it should have been around 450/500 baht.Yes he was playing games ,i gave him 500 baht and walked away.

To avoid detours I turn on the navigation on my mobile and set the language to Thai. In some cases I had funny reactions by the drivers when my mobile wanted to choose a smarter way than he did. smile.png And sometimes they were really interested in the How-To-Use and I explained the basics of GPS.

Targeting the Aussie/anglo drivers were they?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

lol like they say on underbelly the south is like mexico. One cabbie refused my grandmother to put her shopping in the boot! Why was he refusing to let her put her shopping in the back? His mates in there sleeping! I wonder what them boys do for work now a days? thumbsup.gif

I used to get upset when taxi drivers would say no they would not go there and I'd leave the passenger door wide open. ;) I found out that most taxi drivers have to pay 700+ baht per day for the car plus fuel.and sometimes on long distances (I lived out in the suburbs) they wouldn't be able to get a fair back to close to home or the car dropoff point. I have gone through 2 or 3 cabs before, usually speaking in thai and smiling, and opening the door and asking before I get in gets good response. A bigger problem I see is the raping of tourists money by false meters (never happened to me or at least of any greedy amount) and METER NOT WORK HOW MUCH YOU PAY?

Look if you are not willing to take me on a 150 baht ride for 150 baht and instead start off at 500 baht... you should be jailed, hack license revoked for a year and given a fine. That IMHO is fraud or theft. If you were at a hotel and someone stole 350 baht from your room right in front of you, what sanctions would they get.

Anyway at minimm they should just do this for meter broken....

If you say your meter is broken. The police should impound the vehicle and fine the driver for operation of a taxi without proper equipment. The vehicle should stay impounded until police can fully review the vehicle for safety, polution, taxi shields and equipment, title work legal, etc. Figure 5 days without a taxi (at best) would cost the driver plenty and after about 2 or 3 of these crackdowns.... word would get out.

Preferring foreign passengers who tend to pay tips or is unaware of detours

In other words the taxi drivers are blatantly admitting that if you are a naive foreigner or a new boy in town, it is common policy to rip you off or be given unwittingly a grand tour of Bangkok at your own expense.

Just a bunch of scammers profiting from the vulnerability of foreign visitors and another nail in the coffin for the Thai tourist industry.

Not only should these crooks be fined, but they should also have their licenses revoked.

Could Not Have Said It Any Better!!!!!!!!!!!

What a wimp. What a sad excuse for a man. And he can get up in the morning, and look at himself in the mirror? This 13 year old, who is in a man's body, is complaining of a 1,000 baht fine. Please do not fine my boys. They are really nice guys. They mean no harm. They are just hard working guys, who treat everyone fairly, and never cheat anyone. Please be nice to them. They could get mugged. Someone could try to steal the 500 baht they are carrying around. Why are you making our lives harder? We should be able to do anything we want. Come on. Ease up. Let us do anything. We do not like rules. When I was a kid the playground was more fun than this. I hate being an adult. The responsibility is crushing my spirit.

laugh.pnglaugh.png

Thanks for making my day!

In other words the taxi drivers are blatantly admitting that if you are a naive foreigner or a new boy in town, it is common policy to rip you off or be given unwittingly a grand tour of Bangkok at your own expense.

Just a bunch of scammers profiting from the vulnerability of foreign visitors and another nail in the coffin for the Thai tourist industry.

Not only should these crooks be fined, but they should also have their licenses revoked.

Which license? Those carbon copied photocopies of photocopies showing an old man, while his grandson might drive you around?

Well, as long as passengers are picked-up at Don Meuang airport and THB 8'000 later are dropped off at the Amari Airport hotel, all is OK I assume. In all fairness, nobody really wants to clean up the mess so either live with it or drive around in your own cars then........

well this might be an unpopular statement, but havent fares remained the same though oil prices have increased significantly over the years? maybe a rate hike for the taxis would be appropriate and would encourage them to accept business that currently doesnt seem worth it to them?

• Like 1

well this might be an unpopular statement, but havent fares remained the same though oil prices have increased significantly over the years? maybe a rate hike for the taxis would be appropriate and would encourage them to accept business that currently doesnt seem worth it to them?

The price on the meter goes up more quickly than it used to but they should really do with increasing the 35 baht minimum.

London used to be the same. "Won't go south of the river, mate" used to be a common phrase in the days when black cabs were affordable. Now they are simply too expensive to even consider using.

Last time I was in Bangkok, I had several taxis refuse to take me, especially for a short journey during an afternoon downpour. I don't blame them: I wouldn't have wanted to do that ride myself.

Edited by madmitch

Bunch of scammers? I don't know where you are from but if there is any place on earth where you get more value for your taxi dollar than bangkok i have yet to see it....couple of bucks to travel in a generally nice a/c taxi in a major city and they are a bunch of scammers??...yeah i can tell those taxi drivers are just rolling in the money....and tourists will stop coming to bangkok as they would rather pay twenty times as much for taxis in their home country?? you don't have to take a taxi if you are convinced you are getting scammed...you can always ride the bus or better yet just walk....

I can count the number of problems i have had with bkk taxi drivers in ten years on one hand.....maybe it's something about some of the passengers attitudes that bring out the "scammer" in them...like not being polite or just generally being a jerk?