Son Of Red Bull Executive Arrested For Alleged Fatal Hit-And-Run Against Police

webfact

In the other paper, it suggests that the accident took place on Sukhumvit proper. If this is the case, there must be a video of what happened from the BTS, security cameras or cameras from the traffic lights. If he wasn't speeding, I don't see that they will be able to successfully convict him of anything more than leaving the scene.

It will be very interesting to see what comes out of the final story.

Unfortunately, nothing.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed, it may well have been an accident and he panicked. But the more disturbing aspect is that a) The police thought it was Ok to implicate the family driver, B) The young guy and/ or family thought that was a good idea and went along with it and c)That the police officer was not charged and only transferred to an inactive post. But I do believe that change will come, not in my lifetime but it will come.

Chaloem Yuwitthaya, the father of the accused driver, appeared at the funeral of the deceased policeman and gave his apologies to the relatives, saying he will pay compensation.

He said the crash was an accident which occurred due to the boy's car having engine difficulties which caused smoke to spew from the bonnet and obscure his view.

The sister-in-law of the dead policeman said that she believed initially when hit he was still alive but the driver tried to escape dragging the body for 200m which killed him.

http://www.thairath....t/region/288392

Nice face saving maneuver.

I'm sure Ferrari will be calling bullshit on this one. The car looks like a 599 to me and they don't just blow smoke out of the hood.

I seriously doubt that it will be the Ferrari's head office point of view.

When you buy a 20 million + car, you certainly don't see a smoke coming out of the bonnet, unless of course, it is driven by a professional pilot on a circuit.

Not sure about 599. Looks like the FF that replaced 612.

Chaloem Yuwitthaya, the father of the accused driver, appeared at the funeral of the deceased policeman and gave his apologies to the relatives, saying he will pay compensation.

He said the crash was an accident which occurred due to the boy's car having engine difficulties which caused smoke to spew from the bonnet and obscure his view.

The sister-in-law of the dead policeman said that she believed initially when hit he was still alive but the driver tried to escape dragging the body for 200m which killed him.

I'm sure Ferrari will be calling bullshit on this one. The car looks like a 599 to me and they don't just blow smoke out of the hood.

When you buy a 20 million + car, you certainly don't see a smoke coming out of the bonnet, unless of course, it is driven by a professional pilot on a circuit.

There is a waiting list to take delivery of most Ferraris unless you buy one off the showroom floor. And just how many Ferraris are sold in Thailand in the course of a year? Not enough that the production allocated to Thailand could be absorbed with little effort for their existing orders.

I doubt Ferrari will take a a very positive view that one of their products is being used as a scapegoat for vehicular homicide. Especially by the family of the primary importer for their cars. The board room in Maranello is most likely buzzing with Italians waving their hands in the air and speaking in tongues. Then consider that Red Bull is the series sponsor for one of Ferrari's main competitors in Formula 1 and this has the potential for a nice little soap opera.

Ferrari won't care. Money talks bull shit walks. Ferrari has a bizarre distribution system in states. All new cars are sold well in advance to preferred Ferrari customers and if there is one on the floor, it was already sold to a Ferrari customer and then being sold for a premium.

To get on list for a new Ferrari, I had to buy a used 355, used 360 challenge and a used 360 Spyder. You also have to puchase the used from a dealer (my 355 was nit and did not qualify me) which also usually equates a substantial premium over private sellers, but this is the price you pay to be an official Ferrai customer.

Regarding ceramic brakes, they are really not that bad cold. I race a GT3 Cup Class and know ceramics very well. Have them in my daily driver also. Some people may blame them for incidents, but it us really just driver error. Porsche ceramics in 996 and early 997 felt a but soft or mushy when cold, but newer are better and the Ferrari FF has solid performing ceramics hot or cold.

Edited by ttelise

Agreed, it may well have been an accident and he panicked. But the more disturbing aspect is that a) The police thought it was Ok to implicate the family driver, cool.png The young guy and/ or family thought that was a good idea and went along with it and c)That the police officer was not charged and only transferred to an inactive post. But I do believe that change will come, not in my lifetime but it will come.

1. What report specifically says: 'implicate the family driver'?

2. What report specifically says: 'The young guy and/ or family thought that was a good idea and went along with it and '

Please share.

Edited by scorecard

This kind of event points out several breakdowns in Thai society. The fleeing of the accident, the willingness of police "officials" and "authority to immediately go for a "coverup," the persuading of a driver/staff to take the fall, the willingness of the driver to try to cop a plea for money, the police investigators pursuing the in flight vehicle but not being able to be admitted to the house "because the owner wasn't home," the immediate effort to promise "compensation" and "settle all affairs and more. All in all a great case to illustrate the total breakdown of any moral conscience in this society.

It's absolutely disgusting.

And to think there are Westerners that should know better, yet continue to defend this kind of unacceptable behaviour in their chosen home.

• Like 1

So here's the deal as revealed by the Bangkok Post front page - i.e. the body was dragged 200 metres (656 feet). At 60 mph the ground goes under a car at 88 feet per second. So if the Ferrari was doing 100kms/hr (60 mph) it took 7.5 seconds to stop? (If at all). A ferrari can stop in exceptional short time (about 2 seconds) at that speed. So the vehicle was travelling at least twice that speed. As for the dead man 'pulling out' on you - dead men tell no tales and no cop pulls out that fast on any bike at any time. No sorry kid, you need to be charged with culpable driving, driving in a manner dangerous, grievous bodily harm and more than 10 other charges I know of.

And I would suggest the cost of the car - 32M Baht would indicate a decent payout (at least half) to the mans family apart from your impending jail time (not). And why would any kid want a car capable of such speed in a traffic jammed city? Something to do with size of his appendage? Totally irresponsible arrogance. But of course it will all just 'go away'.

• Like 1

Do he dragged the officer down the street. Perhaps if he would stopped, the office may have survived.

The screen was smashed, so I presume the cop was sprawled out across the front bonnet, so the driver would have had to slow down and stop as gently as possible to avoid making the body slide off.

I see this as simple logic. When the kid saw the cop was actually dead he would have panicked ans seeing he was close to home he made the obvious choice. (I would).

Honestly, the Thai roads are so dangerous that this stuff probably happens all the time, you just only hear about it when some big shots are involved. I am sure a lot of families decide to take the payout instead of seeking vengeance to the end. After all, the victim is dead and someone needs to put rice on the table.

Do he dragged the officer down the street. Perhaps if he would stopped, the office may have survived.

The screen was smashed, so I presume the cop was sprawled out across the front bonnet, so the driver would have had to slow down and stop as gently as possible to avoid making the body slide off.

I see this as simple logic. When the kid saw the cop was actually dead he would have panicked ans seeing he was close to home he made the obvious choice. (I would).

Sorry but the obvious choice was to stop, call the emergency services and administer first aid, a choice i would make every time. I am a little surprised by your choice.

• Like 2

Sorry but the obvious choice was to stop, call the emergency services and administer first aid, a choice i would make every time. I am a little surprised by your choice.

I agree . . . but unfortunately that really only applies if the person involved has a conscience and a sense of personal responsibility . . . something seriously lacking within most Thai's whether they are rich or poor.

(note to self: don't get involved in an accident with newermonkey)

Edited by Tatsujin
  • Like 1

I don't condone hit and run or trying to implicate someone else to take the rap in the slightest, he may be rich and his family may be powerful, but where in any of the reports does it say he was drunk? Before any of you people start baying for blood, why not think before making comments. Motorcycle pulls out of a side soi without looking as they often do, a moment of neglect by the driver - and BANG! Driver panics being the son of a high profile businessman, makes a bad judgement and goes to see dad for advice. Impossible to see if there is anyone trapped under the car whilst driving it, but he should've stopped regardless. Thais don't like to face the music, face their responsibilities, or lose face at any cost - No one is going to change that. Believe me I think the actions of Boss after the incident are inexcusable, but without clear evidence of what caused the accident conclusions shouldn't be jumped to.

rubbish ...car seen at the crime doing the business...number taken or followed... car very damaged.... unless the policeman committed suicide...driver guilty of all of you tried to defend above...probably high on '' redbull n vodka" an excellent drink if u are not Driving and like to get out of your tree...

I'm not disputing he didn't hit the motorbike, that's pretty obvious Sherlock. What I am disputing is if he was drunk or not and even you say 'probably', meaning you've automatically jumped to conclusions. I am also not trying to defend any of his actions, in fact they make me sick top the stomach.

This kind of event points out several breakdowns in Thai society. The fleeing of the accident, the willingness of police "officials" and "authority to immediately go for a "coverup," the persuading of a driver/staff to take the fall, the willingness of the driver to try to cop a plea for money, the police investigators pursuing the in flight vehicle but not being able to be admitted to the house "because the owner wasn't home," the immediate effort to promise "compensation" and "settle all affairs and more. All in all a great case to illustrate the total breakdown of any moral conscience in this society.

"illustrate the total breakdown of any moral conscience in this society."

Rubbish (no offence)- stop hyperventillating, take a deep breath, and try to understand that these types of thing go on in every society and country. Bad apples are every where.

Hahaha. Yeah. It's the same here as everywhere. Good one. "(Rubbish)". "The developed/developing "element" was just invented. We are all the same. Just like Zimbabwe is the same as the United States. All the same.

Edited by Unkomoncents

I don't condone hit and run or trying to implicate someone else to take the rap in the slightest, he may be rich and his family may be powerful, but where in any of the reports does it say he was drunk? Before any of you people start baying for blood, why not think before making comments. Motorcycle pulls out of a side soi without looking as they often do, a moment of neglect by the driver - and BANG! Driver panics being the son of a high profile businessman, makes a bad judgement and goes to see dad for advice. Impossible to see if there is anyone trapped under the car whilst driving it, but he should've stopped regardless. Thais don't like to face the music, face their responsibilities, or lose face at any cost - No one is going to change that. Believe me I think the actions of Boss after the incident are inexcusable, but without clear evidence of what caused the accident conclusions shouldn't be jumped to.

rubbish ...car seen at the crime doing the business...number taken or followed... car very damaged.... unless the policeman committed suicide...driver guilty of all of you tried to defend above...probably high on '' redbull n vodka" an excellent drink if u are not Driving and like to get out of your tree...

I'm not disputing he didn't hit the motorbike, that's pretty obvious Sherlock. What I am disputing is if he was drunk or not and even you say 'probably', meaning you've automatically jumped to conclusions. I am also not trying to defend any of his actions, in fact they make me sick top the stomach.

It says in the log book for the security at the home that he left at 5.12 am so we can guess he was not on his way home from a club, unless he had already been home and then left again, this has not been made clear. It is possible he was not drunk, it is possible he was drunk, it is possible other substances just as it is possible there were no substances. nobody knows

Although this is a high profile case, it could just be that it was an accident. How many times have I not seen the police motosai just pull into traffic right in front of cars.

Most people here panic when they have been in accident and just flee, even when not at fault.

Just sayin'...

You may change your mind when you read the following:

Kamronwit said Pannapon tried to have someone to pretend to be the driver of the car that hit and killed Pol Sen Sgt Maj Wichien Klanprasert of Thonglor police station.

"This was unacceptable for him to set up for an arrest of a scapegoat. He ignored the death of his subordinate," Kamronwit said.

Did NOT ignore the death of a fellow officer, he was(would be) well compensated for it. Perhaps it upset the superiors to see the "cash tree" stop at low level branches.

[snip ]

And why would any kid want a car capable of such speed in a traffic jammed city? Something to do with size of his appendage? Totally irresponsible arrogance.

[snip ]

All of your proposed reasons and more ... the main one being because he could, I suppose. I'm sure there are plenty of places to open up a muscle car in the Bangkok area such as the expressways during off hours. Sukumvit, in the wee hours, is also a candidate, apparently. I don't follow your reasoning on the possible 200 KPH, but it wouldn't surprise me either. I owned a Toyota MK IV bi-turbo Supra (actually, several) and more than once found myself unintentionally at 130 MPH (> 200KPH) after only a few seconds of getting on it at 70-80 MPH (129 KPH). No, not in traffic or a high-risk situation. My MK IV Supra, stock at 320 HP and fairly heavy couldn't match the acceleration of that Ferrari, I'd bet. Supras have to be upgraded to kill Ferraris (and they are and they do).

Edited by MaxYakov

The tide will turn one day, I suspect it won't be pretty when it does.

Agree, the day will come, not tomorrow, but not too far into the near future when the middle class voice will stand up and demand this all changes.

It's the working class I'd be worried about more, not the middle class . . . greater numbers . . . hence all the recent 'populist' Government policies to keep everyone quiet.

The vast majority condone corruption. Cheating and corruption, denial, not accepting responsibility at ALL levels of society from poor to rich. It is simply the "mindset, the status quo" To suggest that one day the poor/ and or middle class will revolt against this when they are already very much integral to it is not realistic. Likely the poor and middle class aspire to be wealthy so they can reap even more benefits from the system.

Populist policies are also a component of this same system, based on "patronage' not necessarily ability. Populist policies get votes and dont seem to be designed to "keep people quiet" Populist policies are rife with corruption and the poor have been negatively impacted yet you don't usually see uprisings unless they are financially sponsored(paid protestors)

• Like 1

It says in the log book for the security at the home that he left at 5.12 am so we can guess he was not on his way home from a club, unless he had already been home and then left again, this has not been made clear. It is possible he was not drunk, it is possible he was drunk, it is possible other substances just as it is possible there were no substances. nobody knows

Reading between the lines are we? This is what it actually said "A CSI team also reported seeing a logbook recorded by the family's personal security guards, which read: "Boss [nickname of Worrayuth] leaves home at 0512 am." Don't you think for a minute that the security guards actually belonged to the accused's family? In which case it's quite plausible that he left his own home at 0512am, possibly to catch an early morning flight for a business meeting or such like, wouldn't you agree? whistling.gif

Not sure about 599. Looks like the FF that replaced 612.

It's a f12berlinetta http://www.ferrari.com/english/gt_sport%20cars/currentrange/f12berlinetta/Pages/f12berlinetta.aspx

Stupid boy! should have taken driving lessons from me on how to handle super cars! What a waste of such wonderful cars! Driven by amateurs! Let me drive and I show you what it can do on the Motorway! hahahah!

I hope the boy is alright. Poor policeman! Unfortunate incidences. This is life I guess. Life's a bitch!

[snip ]

And why would any kid want a car capable of such speed in a traffic jammed city? Something to do with size of his appendage? Totally irresponsible arrogance.

[snip ]

All of your proposed reasons and more ... the main one being because he could, I suppose. I'm sure there are plenty of places to open up a muscle car in the Bangkok area such as the expressways during off hours. Sukumvit, in the wee hours, is also a candidate, apparently. I don't follow your reasoning on the possible 200 KPH, but it wouldn't surprise me either. I owned a Toyota MK IV bi-turbo Supra (actually, several) and more than once found myself unintentionally at 130 MPH (> 200KPH) after only a few seconds of getting on it at 70-80 MPH (129 KPH). No, not in traffic or a high-risk situation. My MK IV Supra, stock at 320 HP and fairly heavy couldn't match the acceleration of that Ferrari, I'd bet. Supras have to be upgraded to kill Ferraris (and they are and they do).

If you 'unintentionally' find yourself driving at 200KPH I suggest you get a car you know to drive properly.

For all our sakes.

Stupid boy! should have taken driving lessons from me on how to handle super cars! What a waste of such wonderful cars! Driven by amateurs! Let me drive and I show you what it can do on the Motorway! hahahah!

I hope the boy is alright. Poor policeman! Unfortunate incidences. This is life I guess. Life's a bitch!

You hope the boy is alright !!!!

The boy happens to be a 27 year old man. At his age, I had two kids, was a fully trained combat ready military pilot and had flown in my first war. He is not a boy and he has taken the life of another and tried to get away with it.

• Like 1

Reading between the lines are we? This is what it actually said "A CSI team also reported seeing a logbook recorded by the family's personal security guards, which read: "Boss [nickname of Worrayuth] leaves home at 0512 am." Don't you think for a minute that the security guards actually belonged to the accused's family? In which case it's quite plausible that he left his own home at 0512am, possibly to catch an early morning flight for a business meeting or such like, wouldn't you agree? whistling.gif

It seems you are missing the 'nobody knows' tone in my post, and of course the log book would depend on other on entries made after 5.12 and made before he returned home.