Gem Restaurant - Lovers Of Good Seafood

LawrenceChee

Heya

Found another good non descrip restaurant that is popular with the locals and seafood dishes

Cross Rama IX bridge and turn right to drive along the river bend, pass ten karaoke ...in the night you can't miss this flashy joint and for a few more minutes till u pass by a big pet grooming shop geumg on ...turn right into the small row of shophouses and you will find it ...parking is available as this seems to be the kh place open at night

Last orders at 9pm as this is a family place and they close early

Basic furniture and can sit about 50 but this place is packed with Thai families ...

For those that love crabs, shrimps and fishes they have a limited menu and seem to cook what the owners can do best at

I had the fried calamari twice this week with their hoon sen shrimps and it is really flavorful !

Enjoy

Cross Rama 9 bridge, sure, but FROM WHICH SIDE?

I suspect you cross it coming from out of town right, in a Westerly direction? (Since you mention 10 Karaoke).. But then you also mention turning right after 10 Karaoke.. As that would be towards the river that seems unlikely.. So.. mystery puzzle fun.

Hint to all on directions: Google Maps / Google Streetview was bestowed on us for just this kind of thing.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

TV Directions Translations:

Rama IX Bridge is the one by The Pun Pun corner at intersection of Charoenrat Rd, [Charoenrat Rd. runs north and south on the east bank of the river] and Doi Saket Rd [on the east side of the bridge, the same street on the west side of the bridge is Rattanakosin Rd.] Rattanakosin/Doi Saket Rd., runs east and west. The Bridge by Rimping Condo is Nakornping Bridge.

If you are coming out of the city and cross the Rama IX Bridge, you are traveling in an easterly direction.

Hope this helps as it was meant to be helpful not smarta$$ed'.

G

Edited by Gonzo the Face

TV Directions Translations:

Rama IX Bridge is the one by The Pun Pun corner at intersection of Charoenrat Rd, [Charoenrat Rd. runs north and south on the east bank of the river] and Doi Saket Rd [on the east side of the bridge, the same street on the west side of the bridge is Rattanakosin Rd.] Rattanakosin/Doi Saket Rd., runs east and west. The Bridge by Rimping Condo is Nakornping Bridge.

If you are coming out of the city and cross the Rama IX Bridge, you are traveling in an easterly direction.

Hope this helps as it was meant to be helpful not smarta$$ed'.

G

Understand now which bridge that is but not where this restaurant is. One landmark mentioned is the Ten Karaoke, but my map shows that as being on the west side of the river. Wonder if anyone could pinpoint the place on Google Maps.

1) Drive past Rimping Condo...proceed in one way street pass Embassy House Condo

2) reach Rama IX bridge intersection, turn left to bridge and turn right at 1st intersection

3) drive along one way street river bend and pass ten karaoke towards the direction of the super highway

4) proceed for another 1 Min and reach pet shop greung on ( big shop pink decor) well lit and u can see the grooming centre

5) turn right directly opp pet shop and you will see the only shop lit

I was there last night again and I walked from embassy condo in under 10 minutes to this place ...

So it is not that hard to find at all :-) the discovery and the seafood will make it up.

In today's wet weather the walking will be good

Cheers

Lawrence

1) Drive past Rimping Condo...proceed in one way street pass Embassy House Condo

2) reach Rama IX bridge intersection, turn left to bridge and turn right at 1st intersection

3) drive along one way street river bend and pass ten karaoke towards the direction of the super highway

4) proceed for another 1 Min and reach pet shop greung on ( big shop pink decor) well lit and u can see the grooming centre

I was there last night again and I walked from embassy condo in under 10 minutes to this place ...

So it is not that hard to find at all :-) the discovery and the seafood will make it up.

Cheers

Lawrence

hope to God its worth it, as its taken 13 posts to establish directions!

• Like 2

Cheers

Lawrence

hope to God its worth it, as its taken 13 posts to establish directions!

Yeah, & the so-called one way streets are in fact two way, but one lane in each direction!!!

It's one direction only if you have to drive from rimping condo to get to embassy house to pun pun to Rama IX bridge intersection

Wow :-)

wrong restaurant ...going next week again will pm time and we can all take a walk from embassy house to there :-) in under 10 mins

Name of the restaurant is in Thai ...and was on the radio yesterday highlighted for its seafood dishes

Bingo Mahseer ! that is the name !!!

Owner is committed to freshness agree it is not cheap :-)

But when you order shrimps you can actually see them big juicy and tasty ...not a puny swimming in broth

And the place is not fancy looking ...but the amount of Thai families there tell us the usual truth ...the food is good :-)

To quote our esteemed member Mrs. Nancy: "All these damned Euros don't know how to give directions using basic North, East, South, West.". smile.png

Also, all of the relevant roads you need to get there aren't one-way.

"Bingo Masheer!" is actually not a bad name for a fish restaurant. ;)

So.. as an alternative to giving proper directions, how about remembering the name, and then Googling? Then you easily find it. Including a map. Including a link for directions. This IS still 2012 right, or did I fall into a time-wormhole and end up in 1986? Link with map and directions: https://foursquare.c...8d4b60ca7fc2929

Turns out I've actually been there, about 10 years ago.

Other links:

http://www.chiangmai...41/dining.shtml

http://www.thai-ab6....hp?topic=1603.0

http://www.bloggang....roup=9&gblog=50

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I think we are talking about "Under the Starfruit tree" restaurant , which is excellent.

Yes, we are. wink.png As an aside, I love those colloquial local names that people give places especially when it sounds like it can be anywhere. I imagine those conversations going some thing like:

"Hey I had awesome seafood last night."

-"Oh, where?"

"eeehhh I dunno, under that big starfruit tree.".

-"OoooH THERE!! Yeah, that place is fantastic!".

( The joys of a small town. wink.png )

Summarizing point of reflection: As retarded as the directions in this topic were, they still beat the crap out of any directions ever given by any Thai person in the history of time. wink.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

copied from the other thread

"Until now, Chiang Mai's best kept secret where celebrities and those in the know go. Unfortunately this restaurant is so hard to find, we are going to have to use up most of this space guiding you! As you drive 200 metres down Wang Singh Kham Road from the Superhighway, you will see a row of shop houses on your left. There will be a break in the shop houses with a small road leading to another row behind. Just go in, and pretty much at the mini-T-junction there will be a scruffy- and empty-looking entrance which will lead you through a dark room and a kitchen till you find yourself in a rickety Ping waterfront restaurant (directly opposite Maha Naga Restaurant) which simply serves the BEST seafood in town - prawns too big to fit in your mouth, soft-as-a-slice-of-cheddar batter-fried calamari, gigantic crabs peppered with spice and super delicious soups."

Owner is committed to freshness agree it is not cheap :-)

But when you order shrimps you can actually see them big juicy and tasty ...not a puny swimming in broth

And the place is not fancy looking ...but the amount of Thai families there tell us the usual truth ...the food is good :-)

When you say that it's not cheap, do you mean not cheap for Chaing Mai or not cheap period? Cab yoou ballbark it - for a couple with big appetites would we be talking about more than 1000 baht without alcohol?