Retirement Visa And 90 Day

I had several people reply to me that the retirement visa extension counted as a 90 day. I didnt do the 90 day then. I went today 90 days after renewing my retirement visa and they said I was 90 days late. After explaing my confusion the officer said this time he will do it, but never again. Next time 2,000 baht fine. I thanked him and gave him a 500 baht tip, well worth it and he asked for nothing

I am posting this so no one else gets confused with the rules in Pattaya

From Immigration Website.

http://www.immigration.go.th/

The foreigner makes the notification in person, or

The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or

The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.

The notification must be made within 15 days before or after 7 days the period of 90 days expires.

The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

Good idea with giving that 500 Baht tip. He helped you with an unfortunate situation and that's all that matters. That "token of appreciation" just might have made his day. Anyway 500 Baht is peanuts compared to a 2000 Baht fine and VISA problems. Who cares whether he might or might not expect from the next person. thumbsup.gif

Good idea with tipping? Are you totally out of your mind?

I´ve seen some absolutely stupid situations at Immigration,Laksi/Chang Wattana, were people hand over both booze, fruit, kanom, cash, you name it, and it´s stupid!

Don´t copy the local ways, please, it will get out of hand very fast...

Excuse me but did you mean you were given info HERE on the visa forum that the extension counted as a report and it was not countered by an experienced poster? If so, that surprises me. That topic comes up periodically here and I don't recall the last time that kind of misinformation wasn't strongly CORRECTED here on the forum.

Another point I would like to make regarding errors like this. In my experience it is much better to get information on the open forum as opposed to PMs (which can't be seen and corrected).

Cheers and you got lucky.

It would be relatively easy for the OP, Lost in LOS, to do a search for his own posts and find that he never was given the wrong information he claims to have received. He would have to do the search with the word "retirement", not "extension", as in his posts he made the mistake of writing "visa" when he meant "extension"

This post is about how he forgot the 90-day report in August 2010 and paid the fine.

This post is about how he got his retirement extension renewed last year. No mention of the 90-day report.

• Like 1

I very well might have misunderstood the advise given.

Only the first extension of stay is considered a 90 day report. I suspect this was not your first extension of stay?

I very well might have misunderstoond. I am not blaming anyone but pointing out what I took as the answer. I may have misunderstood the fist extension of stay, not as the very first time but as doing the extension of stay, not the 90 day reports. I did, in my previous post say this was not my first time. My bad. I just wanted to clear it up for someone else making that mistake. As far as the 500 baht, he could have, and should have charged me the 2,000 as I see in these posts

thanks for the replies