Ferrari That Killed Bangkok Cop Was Doing 200Kph; Red Bull Heir

webfact

I agree with Friskodude and polapati. At 124 mph, there would be alot more damage than the pictures I've seen. That motorcycle would have been disintigrated.

It appears to me that you are forgetting relativity. The unfortunate policeman was not stationary, so the actual speed of impact would be the 200 kph minus the speed of the motorcycle, and if this was considerable then the impact damage would be much less. Very sad, even minus the mathematics, and I would be very surprised if any real punishment is going to be dealt out in this matter.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is 200 kph?

"km/h" is official and "kmph" and "km/hr" would seem legit, but kph is out. Since kilo is only the equivalent of 1000, it needs the SI-unit combined to it to work - there is none in kph.

Kilo's per hour - kilograms? kilopascals? kilowatts?

Mods, please amend the topic accordingly.

Think most of us understand, don't worry. rolleyes.gif

This might have already bean covered, but no time to scroll through everything.

My point is this: Much speculation regarding whether or not such a speed is realistic or in fact occurred etc. From my understanding the "forensic experts" determined the speed by looking at the damage to the car. Wouldn't it make more sense to look at the CCTV footage, and calculate the exact speed by determining the distance covered in the video and using the CCTV time-code? Basic maths surely.

Assuming there is CCTV footage and it hasn't already been mysteriously 'lost'. This HD video of an infamous Singapore Ferrari crash was not lost: http://www.post1.net..._speed_estimate

Basic maths indeed

Edited by MaxYakov

This might have already bean covered, but no time to scroll through everything.

My point is this: Much speculation regarding whether or not such a speed is realistic or in fact occurred etc. From my understanding the "forensic experts" determined the speed by looking at the damage to the car. Wouldn't it make more sense to look at the CCTV footage, and calculate the exact speed by determining the distance covered in the video and using the CCTV time-code? Basic maths surely.

Not a chance. The police would have taken action on this as a top priority.

This would have been covered by Pol Lt-Colonel Pannaphol Nammueng during that critical first hour. A lackey would have been sent to ensure that all CCTV cameras in the area were damaged, powerless, accidentally erased, dirty lens, or whatever it takes to remove or obfuscate this critical evidence that could ruin their coverup and resulting payday.

• Like 1

Red Bull heir charged with drink driving

Bangkok, Sept 6, 2012 (AFP) - The Ferrari-driving Thai grandson of the Red Bull energy drink creator has been charged with drink driving following a deadly hit-and-run collision with a policeman, police said Thursday.

The suspect, 27-year-old Worayuth Yoovidhya, was earlier charged with causing death by dangerous driving and fleeing the scene.

He is accused of hitting the police officer, who was on a motorcycle, and dragging the body along a main road at around dawn on Monday in the capital Bangkok. A trail of petrol led police to his home.

"His blood sample contained alcohol over the legal limit," said police Lieutenant Colonel Akharawin Sukhonthawit.

If convicted, Worayuth faces up to 10 years' imprisonment for causing death by dangerous driving and failing to stop, and up to two years in jail for drink driving, he said.

While police were quick to press charges, the incident revived controversy in Thailand about a tradition of impunity for the kingdom's wealthy elite.

A police officer involved in the case faces disciplinary action over allegations he conspired with the suspect's family to arrange for an employee to take the blame for the deadly crash.

Worayuth's grandfather Chaleo Yoovidhya was one of Thailand's richest men thanks to the global success of the Red Bull empire that he co-founded with Austrian Dietrich Mateschitz in the 1980s. Chaleo died in March aged 89.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-09-06

This quote if from the head Police guy Comronwit.

"We will not let this police officer die without justice. Believe me," Comronwit said Tuesday. "The truth will prevail in this case. I can guarantee it."

Would the police have been so active against Worrayuth if it had not been a policeman he hit? I doubt it.

Animal Farm book

=All animals (people) are equal, but some animals, are more equal.(pigs)=

In which society, are all people really all the same and equal? The COMMUNIST SOCIETY?whistling.gif

Just a dream!sad.png

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-china-19498727

Hopefully the Chinese will export this attitude towards idiot drivers - and Thais will make public their contempt and demand appropriate action.

I am reminded of an advertisment for Fiat cars which boasted 'designed by artists, built by computers' to which somebody added 'driven by idiots'.

What's the difference between a porcupine and a Ferrari?

With the former, the pricks are on the outside.

It doesn't matter how fast he was going, he killed someone, he ran after the accident (typical Thai) and now the spin from the lawyer (white lies)

Provided these reports bear some resemblence to reality, your point is spot on. However privileged this to$$a is, for the sake of the reputation of Thailand and any decency there is there, he MUST spend some time in jail (however short). If he doesn't, I, for one, will never holiday in Thailand again - it simply won't be "decent" enough for me.

p.s. Based on the above, I never expect to holiday in Thailand again. :-(

Thailand will not care. tongue.png

A couple of points.

I can't see how it is physically possible for the policeman to hit the windscreen and also be dragged by the Ferrari. I am sure the Ferrari dragged the bike, but not the man. Very doubtful about the badge being in the hood as well, unless he wore it on his hip.

The police expert decided that the policeman had not veered in front of the Ferrari because the angle of impact was parallel to the path of the car. Motorcycles don't turn sideways when they change lanes, especially at speed. they just lean slightly. and then correct.

So it is entirely possible that the motorcycle moved into the path of the Ferrari leaving no time to avoid an impact. Especially if the Ferrari was speeding.

The police can have all the information they need about the crash from the car's computer, as has already been mentioned. Are they to dumb to know that and they instead rely on a visual check of the crashed vehicles?

• Like 1

father is one of the most intelligent men in Thailand (he's filthy rich QED) so who better to approach for advice

His grandfather had the old family recipe. I believe an Aussie businessman "gave it wings"!

Aussie? Please NO!

The -Krating Daeng- Thai for = RED BULL = brand was already well established in TH with stiff competition here,

when a AUSTRIAN Businessman, Mr.Mateschitz, working before for UNILEVER International in Asia approached the Ferrari drivers grandfather and managed a deal.

49% for the Thai, 2% for his son and 49% for Mateschitz. Today its 51% in the hands of the Ferrari drivers father.

With skill, luck and a Super advertising campaign, Mr.Mateschitz made one of the biggest success storys of the last decades!

Beginning of February 2012 it was announced that Mateschitz donated 70 million euros. It was the third-largest private donation to date in the history of Europe. The money will be used to create a research project of the Paracelsus Medical University on paraplegia including a new building on campus education "Competence Park" co-finance in Salzburg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietrich_Mateschitz

A couple of points.

I can't see how it is physically possible for the policeman to hit the windscreen and also be dragged by the Ferrari. I am sure the Ferrari dragged the bike, but not the man. Very doubtful about the badge being in the hood as well, unless he wore it on his hip.

The police expert decided that the policeman had not veered in front of the Ferrari because the angle of impact was parallel to the path of the car. Motorcycles don't turn sideways when they change lanes, especially at speed. they just lean slightly. and then correct.

So it is entirely possible that the motorcycle moved into the path of the Ferrari leaving no time to avoid an impact. Especially if the Ferrari was speeding.

The police can have all the information they need about the crash from the car's computer, as has already been mentioned. Are they to dumb to know that and they instead rely on a visual check of the crashed vehicles?

Regardless of if the bike swerved, 200 kph and possibly drunk! Then fleeing the scene leaving the victim lying in the road. You are missing the point. angry.png

The photos at the funeral have obviously been taken and published to try to garner some sympathy for that pathetic individual and his despicable family.

I wonder what punishment, if any, awaits the family members that conspired with the Policeman to blame someone else? Perverting the course of justice and a prison term at the very least.

The whole lot of them should be facing lengthy jail sentences.

Yet another tragedy that highlights the corruption, immorality and deceit that plagues Thai society.

• Like 1

Aussie? Please NO!

Yes, that should have been Austrian.

My point is still valid; the genius that brought the stunt planes, the race teams, and the billions, wasn't Grandpa.

But, it is quite common for the founding generation to be pretty grounded while offspring run amok!

The photos at the funeral have obviously been taken and published to try to garner some sympathy for that pathetic individual and his despicable family.

In all fairness, are we sure the family is "despicable"? What dastardly deed have they done? At this point, who's parents aren't going to do whatever to save their kid?

Edited by Curt1591
  • Like 1

IMHO and from first hand experience, it is practically impossible to drive at 200km/h along that particular stretch of Sukhumvit Road (on both sides around Soi 49). I regularly drive past that area around 5:30am and there are just too many cars, buses and motorcycles to allow any acceleration to 200km/h. I agree that the damage to the motorcycle and car would have to be much more than what is shown in the photos. Again, I'm not defending the guy, I'm just stating my opinion.

Not wishing to make light of suicidal speeding in bangkok, but you have obviously never driven a ferrari. More than capable of reaching well over 100 MPH in very short order, and still has the capacity to brake in short order toowai.gif

A couple of points.

Regardless of if the bike swerved, 200 kph and possibly drunk! Then fleeing the scene leaving the victim lying in the road. You are missing the point. angry.png

Hardly missing any point here. I am not excusing the behavior, just introducing some logic. the driver is obviously at fault on several levels.

Firstly, he has a Ferrari and I don't.

• Like 1

At 124 MPH the bike would have been demolished as well as the vehicle would have shown a greater impact. No doubt he was driving fast. How were the police able to gauge the speed of the car? It was an accident pure and simple anything more is grandstanding this horrible tragedy.

RIP crime stopper we hardly knew you.

• Like 2

Why do You need a Ferrari ?

Ask Jeremy Clarkson from TOP GEAR BBC show?

No, better.

Drive one yourself, borrow one, rent one, or a Lamborghini or a... has some more of that kind.

Not only an hour, a long weekend, drive on Highways, to mountain roads, (Europe, (Alps), US, Australia ect.)

works even in TH but have to drive far to come to real mountains from Bangkok.

Cost is affordable, I did it more than once = 2.000 Euro a long weekend, (FR-MO) Lamborghini Gallardo

And after that, you can answer that question.thumbsup.gif

Edited by ALFREDO
  • Like 1

In Sweden 6 young healthy people died from mixing Red Bull with Alcohol and one case from Irleland has also been reported.

LINKS to that proven facts, as you describe it here, please.

But - also when its used as a Alcohol Mixed drink in Bars and Discos, that Red Bull Energy drink and others.

The printing on Red Bull reads, -Do not use it, drink it with alcohol!-

So what, when people use it against that advise?

Not wishing to make light of suicidal speeding in bangkok, but you have obviously never driven a ferrari. More than capable of reaching well over 100 MPH in very short order, and still has the capacity to brake in short order too

And I think that sentence just about sums it up, I know nothing about the capabilities of a Ferrari, but I suspect you are correct in saying that they are more than capable of reaching a 100 mph in short order and also has the capacity to brake in short order.

I believe that these high performance cars are designed to be driven on roads designed for high speed driving, not city streets in Bangkok, London, Milan, New York or where ever, they are probably also designed to be driven by someone skilled in driving a car with this power.

I don't know this guys capabilities in respect to this car, his state of mind at the time of the incident, or what actually happened, but I do know that a human being lost his life and rather than face up to his actions at the scene, he ran home to daddy.

• Like 2

That's 124 miles per hour ?

In Bangkok ? That's crazy.

Owning a Ferrari in BKK is pretty crazy too!!!!

Yes like which panel beaters in Bangkok have been trained to a sufficiently high degree

to restore it to its true original condition?

He will just dispose of it and buy a new one!!!!

He'll upgrade the amulets hanging from the rear view mirror though.