Depressed Woman 'fed Herself To Crocodiles' At Popular Thai Tourist Attraction

webfact

A strange way to go...

But why would the husband even make a comment of filing charges against the owners of the crocodile farm, they would not be liable for anything if she intentionally put herself in harms way and knowing this why would the owners make a "settlement" offer in the first place ?

Because TIT and that is the norm. Everyone has their hand out - just not in this case. RIP poor soul. Hope the husband gets his answer.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mystery has deepened because the Crocodile Farm have reportedly denied the incident took place.

Does it sometimes feel like the Thai people would not be able to engage in honesty, if their lives depended upon it? Why is it such a first instinct to lie here? Why is there no connection between their spiritual beliefs, and the daily behavior? Why is telling a lie considered OK, and acceptable behavior? Why is there not more emphasis on honesty? I do not care about the ridiculous concept of "face". We all know that is simply an excuse for avoiding any inner work or introspection. There is no reality to face, it is merely a huge excuse to behave improperly. It is getting to the point, where I find it nearly impossible to believe anything that most Thai people say. There are some exceptions. I do know some honorable Thai people. But, the percentage of people who possess little honor, when it comes to honesty, is shocking. Why is that? Does anyone have a good explanation for this?

I don't have an explanation for this but if you read "Private Dancer" you may get an insight into the way many thai people think and thank goodness it is not all of them.

Seems strange that the normal photo shoot of the investigating officers hasn't been seen and the OP is based on a story by the Daily Mail (UK) later supported by a Bkk Post article. The woman has been missing since August 24, according to the second article, and still it hasn't been confirmed that the incident has taken place.

Either the owners of the farm have done a remarkable job of covering this up, or its a complete 'croc' of ****, pardon the pun. In this day and age, that a photograph or video hasn't surfaced in this timeframe from when the incident took place until now would be extremely unusual.

If the above observations are wrong, then I will be extremely sorry for the woman, and may she RIP.

Chris

Edited by metisdead
: Profanity
  • Like 1

The mystery has deepened because the Crocodile Farm have reportedly denied the incident took place.

Does it sometimes feel like the Thai people would not be able to engage in honesty, if their lives depended upon it? Why is it such a first instinct to lie here? Why is there no connection between their spiritual beliefs, and the daily behavior? Why is telling a lie considered OK, and acceptable behavior? Why is there not more emphasis on honesty? I do not care about the ridiculous concept of "face". We all know that is simply an excuse for avoiding any inner work or introspection. There is no reality to face, it is merely a huge excuse to behave improperly. It is getting to the point, where I find it nearly impossible to believe anything that most Thai people say. There are some exceptions. I do know some honorable Thai people. But, the percentage of people who possess little honor, when it comes to honesty, is shocking. Why is that? Does anyone have a good explanation for this?

I don't have an explanation for this but if you read "Private Dancer" you may get an insight into the way many thai people think and thank goodness it is not all of them.

I did read it. Fortunately, I was warned to read a series of these books before moving here, and even considering getting involved with a Thai woman. Also, fortunately I got involved with a good one, who has a great heart, alot of integrity, an open mind, and is super smart. Not easy qualities to find here. Yes, there are some good ones. I just wonder why the percentage who are willing to lie, to either save their hides, or make a few quick baht, are so high. Another source of wonderment for me, is why they never consider tomorrow, or future patronage, when it comes to business. I have had businesses who I had been working with for years, blow away years of future patronage, over a few hundred baht! Seems, only today exists in the mind of a Thai, even if they are in business. I used to consider this place a very foreign country. These days, I consider it "Planet Thailandia".

The settlement is basically so that the husband doesn't cause any problems with tourists warning them not to go to the zoo as it will be damaging for the company. Also it is a sign of respect for the zoo owner to make a cash settlement to the family of the deceased to help replace the income lost tothere house hold now she has past and he is of some right because it was on his land. no one would be liable because things don't work like that here if you piss some one off you don't get taken to court you get a bullet in your head!!

A strange way to go...

(But why would the husband even make a comment of filing charges against the owners of the crocodile farm, they would not be liable for anything if she intentionally put herself in harms way and knowing this why would the owners make a "settlement" offer in the first place ?

)

I am impressed..did you just make all this up on your own...rolleyes.gif

The lady got it spot on. IN every way..Thai custom. pay money for help.

I remembered this happening before and looked it up. Was back in Aug 2002 and in the article they talk about it happening 10 years previously as well. So looks like this is number 3 at the facility, with several unsuccessful attempts per year also mentioned in the article.

But what a terrible way to go. Hopefully she died quickly. RIP

The settlement is basically so that the husband doesn't cause any problems with tourists warning them not to go to the zoo as it will be damaging for the company. Also it is a sign of respect for the zoo owner to make a cash settlement to the family of the deceased to help replace the income lost tothere house hold now she has past and he is of some right because it was on his land. no one would be liable because things don't work like that here if you piss some one off you don't get taken to court you get a bullet in your head!!

A strange way to go...

(But why would the husband even make a comment of filing charges against the owners of the crocodile farm, they would not be liable for anything if she intentionally put herself in harms way and knowing this why would the owners make a "settlement" offer in the first place ?

)

I am impressed..did you just make all this up on your own...rolleyes.gif

1st post excitement

No traces of the killing? No clothes remaining? Or personal belongings? It must have been a very noisy and bloody event for these hundreds of hungry crocodiles fighting for a piece of meat and ripping a human body apart and I guess someone must have noticed this. I thought that the Crocodile farm is equipped everywhere with safery camera's especially at the places where such a danger can exist. If this woman could climb the wall or fence and jump into the pit, that means that there is a potential danger and there should be special attention from the Crocodile Farm management. Same if you climb a high tower with panoramic view balcony: no way one can climb this fence and jump into the deep... even not with a little help from your friend enemy.

What an awful way to kill yourself.

Depression can be a serious illness (as evidenced here) and I'm not sure Thailand has much infrastructure to treat depression.

Sad story.

A very sad story indeed and to make matters worse for me,while I was following and posting on this thread,my wife and some others rushed to a house 1/2 km down the road in our village after being told that a young man had hanged himself.

He left a note saying that he couldn't handle anything any more and sorry but he must go.My wife came back very upset as you would expect.

Wife, known to be suffering from depression, goes missing on Aug 24.

Husband does not make a missing person's report until 2.30pm on Sep 5th (according to the Thai press), a mere 12 days later.

Either the husband isn't that concerned about her well-being, or the Samut Prakan cops have a terrible reputation....

Very simple: Neither evidence of clothing left behind, nor remnants in crocodile scat simply means a hoax. Husband's story, and statement from farm owner sounds cooked up.

Edited by TechnikaIII

A strange way to go...

)

?

Allot more would be known if it was known why she went to the Dr?

To get many pain killers or something to help her do this tragic incident or for the next 2 months supply of pills she was expecting to take which would help point to this being an accident? A bizar accident I do admit. The lady may just have been confused.

Depression can be a serious illness (as evidenced here) and I'm not sure Thailand has much infrastructure to treat depression.

Sad story.

In Thailand these things are usually attributed to bad karma, ghosts or similar.

Edited by BuffaloRescue

Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe that if a crocodile captures a large prey it will not consume it on the day but prefer to leave it for approximately 3 days until the flesh softens and is easier to tear an devour. Small prey like fish and birds will be eaten at the time. Also crocodiles are very protective of thier catch and will gaurd it with thier lives. I am sure our resident Herpetologists on here can clarify that.

Sad story.

A very sad story indeed and to make matters worse for me,while I was following and posting on this thread,my wife and some others rushed to a house 1/2 km down the road in our village after being told that a young man had hanged himself.

He left a note saying that he couldn't handle anything any more and sorry but he must go.My wife came back very upset as you would expect.

Suicide is rife in Bangkok these days .

A Korean guy who lived a few doors up from us with his wife and young children, hanged himself in the stairwell of his house a few weeks back. He was in business here and had enormous debts. His widow and children have gone home to Korea now.

Edited by sangfroid