Forum Top Five "pet Hates". What're Yours?

KarenBravo

English is not my first l language. Sometimes when I want to make a little bit longer comment I pass because I just don't want to take the risk to be corrected all the time. So for me " the teachers" on the board are not my favorites..

you will probably find they were at the bottom of the heap in their working life. This is their way of feeling like a somebody." look at me, I can spell".

Does this imply that because someone has the ability to spell their posts correctly that they should rightly be brought down a peg or two by the assembled critics? If so, it must surely follow that those who are unable to spell properly, or those for whom English is not their first language, should be applauded. I seem to be missing something here.......

By the way, I am not a teacher.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

xx) The board announces a party and the only ones who sign up for the free drinks are those with a post count of less than 2.

Amusing. My own post count may not be very high, but I guess my member number and join date would possibly make up for it

wink.png

I think the 200 baht entry fee (for the Phuket party) will scare off most of the freeloaders.

Although member no's seem to have disappeared from profiles, I remember yours was very low SVB. The parties are to celebrate 10 years of Thaivisa and you would be one of the few left who have been around almost from the beginning.

clap2.gif

I think the 200 baht entry fee (for the Phuket party) will scare off most of the freeloaders.

We can only hope?

Although member no's seem to have disappeared from profiles, I remember yours was very low SVB. The parties are to celebrate 10 years of Thaivisa and you would be one of the few left who have been around almost from the beginning.clap2.gif

Not sure if I agree with the clapping hands there, Old Croc - some might say that 10 years membership isn't to be applauded? laugh.png

I don't remember when member no's disappeared from actual profiles, but they are still contained in each member's profile URL:eg SeaVisionBurma profile link = http://www.thaivisa....seavisionburma/

member number is 136.... I think that's right?

Edited by SeaVisionBurma

English is not my first l language. Sometimes when I want to make a little bit longer comment I pass because I just don't want to take the risk to be corrected all the time. So for me " the teachers" on the board are not my favorites..

you will probably find they were at the bottom of the heap in their working life. This is their way of feeling like a somebody." look at me, I can spell".

Does this imply that because someone has the ability to spell their posts correctly that they should rightly be brought down a peg or two by the assembled critics? If so, it must surely follow that those who are unable to spell properly, or those for whom English is not their first language, should be applauded. I seem to be missing something here.......

• The use of poor English by those who have mastered good English is deplorable.
  • The use of poor English by those unable to use good English is forgivable.
  • The criticism of those who use good English is lamentable.
  • The criticism of those who are poor in English but try to use good English is pitiable.
  • The use of poor English by native speakers of English is inexcusable.

People who complane about others speling especailly given the number of people who don't have english as there first language.

People who defend those who cannot be bothered to use a spellchecker. By using MS Word to type your message to the World, one could check for spelling and grammatical errors before using the cut and paste facility to post. Those for whom English is not their native tongue could thus improve their fund of knowledge. The incorrect use of the English language is primarily due to sheer laziness.

All major browsers including Firefox and Chrome have add-on dictionaries these days. People don't know anything about browser add-ons irk me.

People that say irk and ilk are of the same breed.

Turkish?

Irk and Ilk both look like incomplete words needing another letter to make them presentable.

The criticism of those who are poor in Turkish but try to use good Turkish is pitiable.

If you can make a doner kebab out of it, it's pittable

SC

People that say irk and ilk are of the same breed.

Turkish?

Irk and Ilk both look like incomplete words needing another letter to make them presentable.

The criticism of those who are poor in Turkish but try to use good Turkish is pitiable.

The criticism of those who speak any Turkish by those who speak no Turkish is matched only by the paucity of any evidence that " irk" or "ilk" have every been featured in a Turkish dictionary.

I forgot to mention people on car parks who wave their arms and blow whistles to direct to go to the only place you could have gone anyway.

People who sit down in the smoking area at the outside of a bar/restaurant and when food arrives at their table turn around and ask, Could you stop smoking while we eat our meal. ?

My answer is always to point to the "SMOKING AREA" sign and ask if I went inside to smoke would you stop eating if I asked.?

Balloon chasers.

Someone who always tries to skip paying for a round.

Relentless bargain hunters for things like razors and shampoo.

Someone who tells you not to buy property here because they can't and jealous.

Someone who slags off all makes and models of cars here in Thailand because they can't afford one.

And to top it all these exact type of folk will say what was the point in you coming here if you don't eat Thai food? Because I got a choice that's why now fo!

I forgot to mention people on car parks who wave their arms and blow whistles to direct to go to the only place you could have gone anyway.

People who sit down in the smoking area at the outside of a bar/restaurant and when food arrives at their table turn around and ask, Could you stop smoking while we eat our meal. ?

My answer is always to point to the "SMOKING AREA" sign and ask if I went inside to smoke would you stop eating if I asked.?

If someone comes to eat in a smoking area whilst I'm having a cigarette, I always ask "do you mind not eating whilst I'm smoking?".

• Like 2

If someone comes to eat in a smoking area whilst I'm having a cigarette, I always ask "do you mind not eating whilst I'm smoking?".

I once had a posh girlfriend. I was having lunch with her and an uncouth friend. The doorbell rang. I went to the door and sent some Jehovah's Witnesses packing.

When I returned to the dining room the posh girlfriend said " Whenever Jehovah's Witnesses's come to our house my mother tells them to go away,we're Catholics !" The uncouth friend pondered and responded " If they come to our 'ouse, our mother tells 'em straight; f...k off we're heathens!"

• Like 1

xx) The board announces a party and the only ones who sign up for the free drinks are those with a post count of less than 2.

Amusing. My own post count may not be very high, but I guess my member number and join date would possibly make up for it

wink.png

people who think post count is any indication of quality -- and people who use the term newbie.

you have apprehension problems. I implied nothing of the sort. Also, there is a difference between hitting the wrong key and ones spelling ability.